PDA

View Full Version : Heatless curling?

aforestfae
July 12th, 2014, 12:19 PM
My hair is really stubborn and will not curl, I've tried sock buns, pin curls, foam rollers etc. but the curls won't stay and using heat never works, any curl I do get drops out within minutes.
How could I get curls like this (http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/c1/5a/e5/c15ae5ad7c51ab2b57bdd874ef6e08c4.jpg) without heat on my stubborn thick 1b/1c hair?

leilani
July 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Pin curls and foam rollers not work?
Did you put them in when hair was damp? Remove when hair was fully dry and body temperature to the touch?

aforestfae
July 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Pin curls and foam rollers not work?
Did you put them in when hair was damp? Remove when hair was fully dry and body temperature to the touch?

I always do my curls on damp hair and leave them overnight or even longer, I don't know if I am doing something wrong but they don't last very long, longer than curls using heat though

Madora
July 12th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Perhaps it is the diameter of the curler you are using?

The only other thing I can think of is to use some kind of hair holding gel or spray that will make the curls last longer.

HairFaerie
July 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I like Caruso rollers. They use steam which is still technically heat, but not damaging like a curling iron or hot rollers. The curls last for a day or two as well. :)

aforestfae
July 14th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I tried out straw curls on damp hair and the next day I had really nice curls but after a few hours they had dropped into loose waves and by the next day my hair was straight again,my hair is only bsl and I know as it gets longer the curls will fall out even quicker (the back was straight by the end of the day) is there anything I can use to keep the curls/waves longer?
I've tried hairsprays, curl gels and mousse and I can only curl my hair when it's damp or it won't curl at all.

Madora
July 14th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Curls usually "take" better when you moisten the hair a little before you put it up in curlers.

Have you tried putting less hair in each curler? Have you seen Torrin Paige's tutorial on how to do rag curls on long hair? Very hair friendly.

aforestfae
July 14th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Curls usually "take" better when you moisten the hair a little before you put it up in curlers.

Have you tried putting less hair in each curler? Have you seen Torrin Paige's tutorial on how to do rag curls on long hair? Very hair friendly.

I did use much smaller sections when doing the straw curls and the curl did stay a little longer but not much.
I haven't seen it but I will go check it out, thank you :)

TurtleWexler
July 14th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Have you tried using a setting lotion? I'm not sure how coney the ingredients are, but I think they generally work pretty well for helping hair take a curl. Lottabody is a brand I've seen recommended a lot.

aforestfae
July 14th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Have you tried using a setting lotion? I'm not sure how coney the ingredients are, but I think they generally work pretty well for helping hair take a curl. Lottabody is a brand I've seen recommended a lot.

I haven't used one before but I will definitely try it out :)

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Those look like bun curls. Try doing a cinnamon bun at the top of your head. Or a sock bun at the top of your head. Either will probably work for curls like these. Do this when your hair is 80 to 90% dry. Then make the bun, and sleep on it. In the morning, release and ta-daa (well, hopefully).

aforestfae
July 15th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Which setting spray is best?
I can find three in my price range the Superdrug Setting Lotion Extra Firm, StaySet Setting Lotion Extra Firm and Trevor Sorbie Styling Curl Creator (I'm not sure if it's only for heat styling or if it will hold overnight curls)
Has anyone tried these?
There is also Umberto Giannini Incredible Body Old School Setting Lotion for Big Hair which is slightly more expensive