PDA

View Full Version : Sleep-in Rollers

aforestfae
July 12th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I have rollers like these (http://www.tradersclubuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/velcro-rollers1.jpg), Velcro with a sponge middle.
I love the look I get with them but I have to sleep in them or my hair won't hold as it's stubborn and will never hold a curl and I find that my hair tangles in the Velcro and I worry the velcro will damage my hair.
I can remove the sponge centre and use that but I'm not sure how to secure them in my hair so I can still sleep in them, I'm not sure about using hair grips as they tend to pull my hair too, but I will use them if they are my only option.
And suggestions?

lapushka
July 12th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Your best bet is either using them or getting different rollers - if you don't like them. Velcro rollers aren't the best, but if they work for you, then why change it? You can only *try*.

Madora
July 12th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Oh, God, those Velcro rollers are the very devil for ruining your hair. I thought they'd be great...once was enough for me!

Johannah
July 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I agree with Madora. There are a lot of no-heat curl videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLarqoD-aO1WzdZuLyiwSexYBZytHqfGfa). You can check those out and see how these work for you?

Anje
July 12th, 2014, 08:51 AM
There are folks here who swear by Caruso steam rollers. They don't tangle your hair like velcro rollers and you don't have to sleep in them. They're warm but not damaging. Might be worth looking into. (Me, I'm inexperienced with rollers and haven't messed with them enough to fall in love, but it's definitely user error.)

aforestfae
July 12th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I found a tutorial on pinterest for foam rag rollers and have managed to remove the velcro from the sleep in rollers and use fabric scraps to tie the sponge bit on, hopefully they will work now :D

leilani
July 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Pin curls overnight!

gus
July 12th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I actually just use the regular foam rollers with the little plastic snap-on bits - like these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Foam-Roller-48-Pack/10323109) - and they work really well. Just remember not to use all different sizes on your hair at the same time; instead use all the pink curlers with a couple green ones if needed, or all yellow or all blue (although the blue and yellow ones will give you really tight curls, so use them carefully). You may also want to think about buying two packs at once, which ensures that you don't run out of curlers halfway through.

My usual MO is the green curlers with a handful of yellows if I run out, use a heat bonnet for 30 minutes, and then go to bed. My curls come out flawless 98% of the time like that. (I really need to set up a photobucket account so I can upload!)

Sleeping in them is a matter of practice and a matter of having at least a couple nights where you wake up at 2 am, are uncomfortable, and have to take them out there and then. It's not the end of the world if you do - your curls will be a little bit looser but it will be fine! Just keep figuring out what works best for you.

gus
July 12th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Hey so setting up an account wasn't that hard! And all so I could warn you to be careful about those little sponge rollers, because sometimes things can go horribly... horribly wrong.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b490/theguswho/IMG_2229_zps77abf86e.jpg

Nadine <3
July 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM
When I do heatless curls I get a cheepo box of generic tampons and wrap my damp hair around those and secure with a bobby pin. The tampon does a great job and dries your hair haha I also used to use diaper wipes...Wrap my hair around them and tie it like you do for rag curls. You don't have to do it on damp hair since the wipe is damp. I never got any damage from doing this and I got really great curls!

EDIT: Hahaha, Gus that picture is awesome, I've had that happen before!

Adiro
July 12th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I never heared of rag rollers but it might be jsut what I am using. I cut an old TShirt into strips, about 15 inch long by 4 inch wide, I roll my hair on those and knot with a bow. No thick centrepart, like in the rollers, but my mother had them "thickened" for a larger diameter with some paper towel rolled tightly, and they the hair gets rolled on the paper towel. Some brands like Bounty dont decompose, the paper is strong. curls come out tight and shiny that way, dry well and hold well after. and really easy to sleep in.

SkyChild
July 12th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Adiro, that's what I think rag rollers are :)

Gus, that picture is fantastic. That's what I usually look like when I try to curl my hair! My husband calls it the "badger wrapped in a shower curtain" look

spirals
July 12th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Gus, that looks like me in high school! :lol:

gus
July 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Bless your boots - I've been out of high school for almost twenty years, so no matter how bad my hair looks, I'm happy with the comparison.

spirals
July 12th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Me, too; I graduated in 1991 at 17. I got perms, too, even though I have curly hair.

Sparklylady82
July 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Hey so setting up an account wasn't that hard! And all so I could warn you to be careful about those little sponge rollers, because sometimes things can go horribly... horribly wrong.

Too cute! This reminds me of the time (when I was like 7 years old) when my grandma put rag curls in my 2b long wavy hair over night...I was mortified.

Feathered
July 13th, 2014, 02:35 AM

Oh my gosh the expression on your face is cracking me up. The curls actually look cute to me, though.

jtl45
July 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
large sponge rollers with no velcro work great and easy to sleep in. Velcro is very hard on my hair.
Jim