PDA

View Full Version : Which way do you think is best?

cdonald2
July 11th, 2014, 01:32 AM
I know everybody has different styles and different tastes, but I'm curious about everyone's feedback on this. I know some people choose to let their hair grow and never cut it after a big chop, and I also know some people like to get frequent trims every few months to keep the length even. Obviously you the less you cut your hair the longer it will grow, but do you think it's better to let it grow without ever cutting it even though it may be uneven? Or is it better to trim it and keep it at all one length since you won't have to have a big chunk to even it up?

my hair has been at my neck/shoulders for a long time now, but that's because I take the approach of more frequent trims, I have always wanted my hair to be equally as long in the front as it is in the back, my hair never looked incredibly long even when it was at apl length because the front was at cheek length and it made my face look rounder.

once my hair is at collarbone length, I think it will be safe for me to let go though :-)

IsisMoon
July 11th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I know everybody has different styles and different tastes, but I'm curious about everyone's feedback on this. I know some people choose to let their hair grow and never cut it after a big chop, and I also know some people like to get frequent trims every few months to keep the length even. Obviously you the less you cut your hair the longer it will grow, but do you think it's better to let it grow without ever cutting it even though it may be uneven? Or is it better to trim it and keep it at all one length since you won't have to have a big chunk to even it up?

my hair has been at my neck/shoulders for a long time now, but that's because I take the approach of more frequent trims, I have always wanted my hair to be equally as long in the front as it is in the back, my hair never looked incredibly long even when it was at apl length because the front was at cheek length and it made my face look rounder.

once my hair is at collarbone length, I think it will be safe for me to let go though :-)

I think I might try no cutting at all because I haven't cut my hair before and it got to tailbone length, which is where it is at the moment as well....but in the last few years I decided to cut it only during summer cuz I had damaged ends...and then I would end up with waist length and by the time it reached TBL it had to be cut again.

So for me it's really a choice of whether I want to have long hair with damaged ends or WL with healthy lengths.

And it's really weird because my hair is always up or in a side braid and I really take proper care of my ends... so the ends shouldn't be that much damaged. Can it be that the ends will be damaged regardless of how much care we put into them?

lilin
July 11th, 2014, 03:07 AM

Do you mean that the hair around your face just isn't growing as fast as the hair in the back? If it's that dramatic, I might take a look at the ends, try to see if it's breaking, and then give some thought to whether something could be damaging them. Some people do have areas of their hair that grow a bit unevenly, but that seems like a really big discrepancy of growth.

Personally, I trim pretty rarely. I do a little search-and-destroy to cut off individual split ends here and there. I'm not bothered about the "blunt" hemline -- I actually prefer mine a bit softer. So cutting off a quarter inch on that hair, and eighth of inch on that one, etc, doesn't bother me. I only fully trim my hair maybe... once every year or two?

I don't do most of the stuff that causes substantial damage to hair, so there was never much need to do it more than that. And now that I'm trying to do things to actively protect my hair (hair-friendly up-dos, satin pillowcase, etc) I expect the condition of my ends to get better still.

Beezle
July 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM
I too wanted my hair to be all one length. It honestly took years to grow out the fringe so that it caught up with the rest of my hair. It's reached now so I am at the stage where I ask a friend's opinion about whether it looks as though it needs a trim from the back where I don't feel competent to guess. She has only told me once in a year that it looks in need of a trim, so I'm happily continuing with this wait-and-see method with no knowledge about whether it's the right way to do it. But it feels ok.

Siowiel
July 11th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I have no decided opinion on this, it depends on what you want.
If you want a blunt hemline, you should be trimming regularly, if you do not care or are a lover of fairy tale ends, then do not cut unless it is absolutely necessary to keep damage at bay.
Personally, I do not cut, over the years, my liking for blunt hemlines on myself has rapidly declined, so I only S&D and will continue to do so until my hair becomes too damaged (doesn't look like it yet) or too thin for my taste (might happen, I'd cut the longest "natural layers" then to allow the other hairs to catch up).

Nesoi
July 11th, 2014, 05:00 AM
I chopped when the back was neck and the front was ear (Mulletville shudder:) but since then have only done one small Feye's self-trim when my ends felt a bit wild and I had one runaway racer lock. It really is a very individual choice.

lapushka
July 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Uneven hair can be trickier to deal with when your hair is still short. So I get why you'd want to trim it often if it's uneven. However, as it gets longer, I feel it's better to let it go some.

ravenheather
July 11th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Ah! To fairy tale or not to fairy tale that is the question. For me its fairytale but it is harder at shorter lengths.

memeow
July 11th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I trim regularly not because I want a blunt hemline, but because I have so many splits with ends at different lengths that it seems to be the only real solution. I'm growing out a layered cut I got years ago, but I think that due to damage from various sources my hair is just not robust enough for the "never trim again" method. For two years I did minimal trimming (about half an inch a year) and saw barely any growth. Not trimming works for some people, but I don't think it's a no-brainer "this is the fastest way to get long hair".

Johannah
July 11th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I like a blunt hemline, so I trim in between instead of one big cut. I like the feeling of fresh ends.

kitana97
July 11th, 2014, 11:44 AM
For the past couple of years I've been trimming my hair (~1- 2 inches) once a year. I'm going to start monthly s&d after I get my next trim in a couple weeks.

Larki
July 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I prefer fairly frequent trims to keep my hemline even and blunt. Like twice a year. I'm going to get a half inch off in a few days, and then I'll get another in November or December.

Lyv
July 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM
When my hair is longer I don't care if it's uneven so I don't trim often. Now that I'm growing out a pixie I've had it trimmed a few times to even it out and get rid of the mullet look. Now that it is at about chin all around I'll probably just let it do it's thing and go back to trimming once or twice a year.

cdonald2
July 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Uneven hair can be trickier to deal with when your hair is still short. So I get why you'd want to trim it often if it's uneven. However, as it gets longer, I feel it's better to let it go some.

thats how i feel, I wont care so much about fairy tale ends once it gets longer, but while its short it looks completely chaotic if i let it go for too long without a trim.

My sides of my hair just dont grow as quickly as the back of my hair. I see no breackage or anything. the growth pattern will be fine later down the road since i think i have a natural U hemline. But for right now, it just grows mulley :justy:
im pretty optomistic about my growth pattern once i hit collarbone though :)

MINAKO
July 11th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I would only trim damage in the process of grwing short hair out and even the hemline past BSL or so.