PDA

View Full Version : Androgenetic Alopecia?

DKSABS
July 10th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Does anyone here suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia? I just found out today that this is likely what I have, and it's so dissapointing. I've been losing more and more hair, and now I have some bald spots on the top of my head that are getting more and more difficult to to try to hide. Someone on one of these threads (can't remember who at the moment) encouraged me to see my dermatologist for a biopsy of my scalp. I finally was able to see her earlier this week and I asked her to go ahead and do the biopsy. I called today to find out if they had any results. The person I spoke with said that the biopsy she took from a mole on my arm was not skin cancer. Then she said the scalp biopsy results were in, but the doctor hadn't had a chance to see them yet, so she didn't know what the Dr was going to recommend yet. She did say that the biopsy results said that I likely have Androgenetic Alopecia. This is not what I wanted to hear at all, and I almost cried. Now I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the condition, and I'm hoping that there are effective treatments that can reverse the hair loss, or at the very least, stop any additional loss and let me keep what little hair I have left. I would love to hear from others with this condition.

Beborani
July 10th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I was never diagnosed because the original hair loss--huge shed after which I never grew back most of it happened in my late teen years. So by the time forties rolled around another round of minor age appropriate shedding led to hair loss pattern that looks similar to female pattern baldness. I have had tremendous success with minoxidil to the point now I wondering when to stop or slow down so I wont have too much hair! So take heart, you maybe able to beat it. If you are using minoxidil I would suggest try it in one area first for a few months as you WILL have some shedding and it can cause panic. Spot testing will reduce your risk and you will be able to assess its effectiveness much like you do with hair dyes and such except time period is longer.

DKSABS
July 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
That's good to hear! Congratulations on beating it! And thanks for the warning on increased shedding and spot testing. I hadn't heard that yet.

Beborani
July 10th, 2014, 08:33 PM
That is something I came up with after reading research papers and internet reports. Research indicates women have good success rate with it but message board reports were far more pessimistic--most people seemed to stop soon after shedding commences never giving it a chance to work. I had very little hair on my head and did not want to risk losing more abruptly. Did spot test and found to my delight a lot of new growth that I could compare to symmetrically opposite side. It gave me confidence to do whole head application. Since then at least 4 women in my 'real' life have tried it and have had success with it--they all followed my advice and took it slow at first. There is a minoxidil thread somewhere where I have posted before and after pictures.

renarok
July 10th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I am going to follow this thread closely because I have lost an inch in the diameter of my ponytail in the last 5 months. That is 25% of my hair!!!!! It is frightening. I am seeing an endocrinologist on monday to monitor my thyroid issues. I have hashimotos and I can tell that it is worsening. I will try minoxidil as well.

Silverbrumby
July 10th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I tried minoxidil but the shedding was too much for me. After 2 months I love 1/2 inch off my ponytail. The worst thing of all was the under eye bags I got and terrible wrinkling and fine lines. They went away after six weeks of stopping. I so hoped this would work for me but chose to look my age instead of looking dreadful. I had women at the gym I work at tell me that surgery to remove eye bags wasn't that expensive. It was bad. Thank god it reversed.

p.s. Type in minoxidil and eye bags. You might not get them so I'm not saying don't try it. I'm just warning you so you can stop earlier than I did if it's a problem.

Artista
July 10th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I have it. Been really battling it over the past 9 years.

Warning about Rogaine even the men's 2% version which I used is be aware that you not only get a big shed, but for me, nothing grew back. You're supposed to start this at the start and not in the midst for best results, if there are any. It's really meant for the male pattern hair loss and not diffuse hair loss unfortunately. So I caution you guys who are thinking of starting it. It made my hair worse and accelerated my hair loss. Also, this stuff goes into your blood stream. You think you are applying it to just a small spot on your head to test, but it does go everywhere via your bloodstream. It grew hair nicely on my face though, so much so that now I have a bigger hair issue on my chin/neck areas than I did before! You go to the derm and they automatically say Rogaine. Well for female pattern hair loss it's not like men's so there are few women in comparison that will jump for joy with a good amount of hair regrowth on it.

I tried it for a year twice a day which is what is the recommended use non stop before deciding on whether to stop or not. Honestly, there really is nothing you can do about androgenetic alopecia as it's genetic somewhere. I wish someone would have convinced me of that when I was determined to prove them wrong, but it's true. Some things may slow it down or regrow some but then later with hormone changes and whatnot, you're back at battling it. One good thing though is this foam acted as a mousse for the scalp so I didn't have to apply styling product at the top of my head.

Age also plays a key role. I'm 50 in 3 months and my nightmare started when I turned 40. It's such a very very very slow process but once you get to where some scalp shows no matter what you do, it seems to go faster. :(

I don't know what to tell you except don't spend so much money on it unless you can afford to comfortably do so. It's not cheap and you have to apply it am and pm. You can't just do once a day. I've had 9 years of digging, searching, thinking I'm the exception to everyone else, all to no avail. I'd suggest paying attention to the female hair loss message boards where women write about their journey over research, which is like well in one study we found.... but what about consistently and other studies?

The only thing you can really do that may help is health related as there is no reversing it in the end is to have your hormones checked, thyroid gland and such. If any of these are off then getting them back in line may help slow it down.

I've mentioned this before, but this is the board I got most of my info from. It was hopping but admin had things come up in her life that it went down for a couple years. But it's back and at least even if there are hardly new posts on there, there's plenty to read up on. It's not like much has changed in this field...

herhairlosshelp.com

So my focus is keeping as healthy as I can and being gentle with my hair. I don't put anything in it to make it tangly and then have to put pressure on it or anything that makes my scalp angry.

It sucks big time. I've had my cries and tried EVERYTHING that anyone said to do and after 9 years and way way too much money spent, I should have just never started Rogaine. My first regret.

If you decide to try it, you have to stick with it forever. If you stop, you WILL lose whatever you may have gained at the very least. Since it didn't do anything for me after 1 year I just stopped it and prayed the stopping it wouldn't make my hair worse. It did but I guess it could have been worse other than I now have a lot of hair on my face that I now have to deal with!

It sucks gals but seriously, if there was anything that REALLY did something to a lot of people who are confirmed androGENETIC alopecia and enough to where you feel back very close to before, it would be all over the place on the boards and not just here and there.

I'm not trying to be debbie downer here but believe me, I've heard and seen it all with this long battle. Androgentic alopecia is the worse imo because at least with areata, you go completely bald. With this, you don't lose all your hair but can get so diffuse than you might as well have. I think I'll shave my head when I get to that point and either wear a scarf or maybe a wig. I just wish this happened later when I wasn't working. My mom is 70 and she has a lot of hair loss but at least at my age, she didn't have it like I do! No fair! :(

Artista
July 10th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I tried minoxidil but the shedding was too much for me. After 2 months I love 1/2 inch off my ponytail. The worst thing of all was the under eye bags I got and terrible wrinkling and fine lines. They went away after six weeks of stopping. I so hoped this would work for me but chose to look my age instead of looking dreadful. I had women at the gym I work at tell me that surgery to remove eye bags wasn't that expensive. It was bad. Thank god it reversed.

p.s. Type in minoxidil and eye bags. You might not get them so I'm not saying don't try it. I'm just warning you so you can stop earlier than I did if it's a problem.

Yeah, I looked like someone hit me in the eyes when I was on it. Forgot about that nice side effect. :/

DKSABS
July 11th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Thank you all for the advice and warnings and for sharing your experiences.

Artista, as soon as I saw your username, I remembered that you're the one who encouraged me to go ahead and see the derm for a biopsy. I went into my yearly exam knowing that I was definitely going to push for a biopsy. The dermatologist mentioned that we could do a biopsy after we saw the blood test results from the hormone doctor, but I asked her if we can go ahead and do the biopsy NOW. I'm so glad I did, and it was because you shared your knowledge and experience with me and empowered me to push for my own biopsy ASAP. Thank you so much for that.

Teepee
July 11th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I have alopecia for 10 years now, and i really approve what Artista said. There is no magical treatment for alopecia...

My best advice is to stay away from minoxidil or similar products. And take great care of your nutrition. Raw food is keeping me in good health. I really recommend it to you, as you have health issues :)

Silverbrumby
July 11th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Biotin and biosil helped me as well as vit d, iron (natural) and nixola shampoo for dandruff. The shampoo helped with my scalp issues and its pretty inexpensive to try.

Artista
July 11th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Thank you all for the advice and warnings and for sharing your experiences.

Artista, as soon as I saw your username, I remembered that you're the one who encouraged me to go ahead and see the derm for a biopsy. I went into my yearly exam knowing that I was definitely going to push for a biopsy. The dermatologist mentioned that we could do a biopsy after we saw the blood test results from the hormone doctor, but I asked her of we can go ahead and do the biopsy NOW. I'm so glad I did, and it was because you shared your knowledge and experience with me and empowered me to push for my own biopsy ASAP. Thank you so much for that.
You're welcome! While not the best news, at least you know exactly what you are dealing with and can go forward from there. Sometimes something really looks like a type of hair loss but it isn't, hence the biopsy and just reading up on it and what may help slow it down with it. It's not a hard science like other medical issues and it's not important enough to have funding for research like cancer, which I understand, but still, it sucks. :(.

Glad I could help from my loooooooooong journey.

Artista
July 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
As for products to make you're hair look fuller, Brocato Swell line has worked the best for me, and I've tried a ton. I found out about this line on herhairlosshelp.com. I also reviewed it. I'm Artista on that board as well. I use the shampoo, rinse out treatment, and mousse. The clay didn't work for me. I think you need a great talent to make it work because no matter how much I used and how I applied it, hair was goopy. Smell it first before you buy. It's very strong smelling and stays in your hair. I think it smells good but it can be a turn off if you aren't into heavy scents or don't like the smell....

Beborani
July 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Here is the thread with pictures. if you still choose to use it after the scary posts above, do follow the tips I have outlined in that thread especially about not exceeding the dosage and being careful about getting it on your face, I will also add that sleep cap helps--wish I had thought of it earlier when i first started.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115342&page=5&highlight=Minoxidil

DKSABS
July 13th, 2014, 01:38 AM
I really appreciate all the info! The dermatologist's office called Friday and said the Dr had reviewed the biopsy results, and I have Androgenetic Alopecia and that there's nothing that can be done about it, except possibly trying Rogaine. There is a Kirkland brand product that has the same ingredients, and is only $50 for a year's supply on Amazon. I read a lot of the reviews, and it sounded really good, until I saw some reviews on this causing heart problems, or causing symptoms in people who already have heart problems. I have some heart problems, so it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Silverbrumby, thanks for the info on the shampoo. Artista, thanks for the info on the Brocato Swell products.

Beborani, your before and after picture looks like some pretty amazing results! I'm glad the rogaine has worked for you with no side effects!

Beborani
July 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Dksabs, if you have heart problems, you should check with your doctor before starting this as minoxidil taken internally was meant to control high blood pressure though there is conflicting evidence that it is absorbed systemically when applied topcially. Also, wanted to warn you than kirkland product is 5 percent and you want 2 percent though many dermatologists seem to recommend 5% for women too.

Artista
July 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I really appreciate all the info! The dermatologist's office called Friday and said the Dr had reviewed the biopsy results, and I have Androgenetic Alopecia and that there's nothing that can be done about it, except possibly trying Rogaine. There is a Kirkland brand product that has the same ingredients, and is only $50 for a year's supply on Amazon. I read a lot of the reviews, and it sounded really good, until I saw some reviews on this causing heart problems, or causing symptoms in people who already have heart problems. I have some heart problems, so it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Silverbrumby, thanks for the info on the shampoo. Artista, thanks for the info on the Brocato Swell products.

Beborani, your before and after picture looks like some pretty amazing results! I'm glad the rogaine has worked for you with no side effects!
I wish you well with this mess. Rogaine is a drug so it does have side effects. I've heard of heart issues to with some, and one had palpatations with the 1% let alone 2 and I've never heard of 5% unless that's something that's come out since I was into this stuff. Especially since you have to use it for life or lose what you may have gotten or worse, more like I did. For women, it's really a roll of the dice and where you are at in your hair loss as well as your health and such.

DSKSABS I really admire your attitude. With all the stuff you have going on, you are still a very friendly person. Many people I know who are battling stuff, and not just the hair, are not- and they aren't diagnosed with mental issues either. God bless.

Scatty
July 14th, 2014, 02:51 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say I also have this. Excessive shedding started approx 2 years ago and has not really stopped, every day my hair seems to get thinner and every time I wash/comb I lose a lot :( I had a biopsy done approx 1.5 y ago which confirmed androgenetic alopecia. I have been using men's Rogaine foam once a day for over a year and I've not really noticed any success, hair continues to thin and shed, and I can't see much new growth. I have no hormonal abnormalities that I know of. I'm 38 years old. I'll be following this thread. I would love some advice on whether to give up Rogaine or just carry on. I obviously don't want more shedding if I stop it.

One thing I have noticed is I get an itchy scalp in places where I am losing hair. From my research this is inflammation and it is closely linked to hair loss. I am sure if I could over come this, I would be able to get on top of the hair loss - just don't know how! I eat fairly healthily, low sugar and wheat, and am a normal weight.

DKSABS and others experiencing this, I understand. Please let's keep this thread going!

Artista
July 14th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say I also have this. Excessive shedding started approx 2 years ago and has not really stopped, every day my hair seems to get thinner and every time I wash/comb I lose a lot :( I had a biopsy done approx 1.5 y ago which confirmed androgenetic alopecia. I have been using men's Rogaine foam once a day for over a year and I've not really noticed any success, hair continues to thin and shed, and I can't see much new growth. I have no hormonal abnormalities that I know of. I'm 38 years old. I'll be following this thread. I would love some advice on whether to give up Rogaine or just carry on. I obviously don't want more shedding if I stop it.

One thing I have noticed is I get an itchy scalp in places where I am losing hair. From my research this is inflammation and it is closely linked to hair loss. I am sure if I could over come this, I would be able to get on top of the hair loss - just don't know how! I eat fairly healthily, low sugar and wheat, and am a normal weight.

DKSABS and others experiencing this, I understand. Please let's keep this thread going!

Sorry to hear you're in this boat as well with AGA. If after a year you haven't seen anything from Rogaine, I'd say might as well stop it. You're wasting money. My shedding remained the same after stopping, very high. I have sebhorreic dermatitis as well which is inflamation. There is no cure for this, just trying to keep it under control. I know this contributes or probably triggered the AGA to happen sooner as these two sort of came about around the same timing.

As for the itchy scalp, it's really a roll of the dice in terms of hair products and such that will help. Nothing has long term solved my issues with the itchies, redness, etc. I've tried everything under the sun from rx to otc scalp problem treatments and shampoos to shampoo bars/natural cleansers and on it goes. Some things worked for a few months to where I was so excited but then it's back. It's maddening and there is nothing else for me to try so I just try and be gentle. Eating low sugar, get rid of white products like flour, white bread, low caffeine, and everything else that leads to inflammation.

I'm where I'm just looking at concealers for the areas where I can't cover very well anymore and being gentle with washings/combings and such. With AGA, eventually that's where we wind up at some point unfortunately.

DKSABS
July 15th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Dksabs, if you have heart problems, you should check with your doctor before starting this as minoxidil taken internally was meant to control high blood pressure though there is conflicting evidence that it is absorbed systemically when applied topcially. Also, wanted to warn you than kirkland product is 5 percent and you want 2 percent though many dermatologists seem to recommend 5% for women too.

Thanks for the warning. I'd read that a lot of dermatologists tell women to go ahead and use the 5% version and there were several women posting reviews of the Amazon Kirkland product, so I was considering it until I heard the heart warnings. I have a couple of conditions that cause heart symptoms (Dysautonomia and POTS - Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome - a condition where the blood pressure drops and the heart rate increases significantly when I sit up or stand rapidly). My BP tends to be in the normal to low normal range so I definitely don't want to take anything that can reduce it further.

I wish you well with this mess. Rogaine is a drug so it does have side effects. I've heard of heart issues to with some, and one had palpatations with the 1% let alone 2 and I've never heard of 5% unless that's something that's come out since I was into this stuff. Especially since you have to use it for life or lose what you may have gotten or worse, more like I did. For women, it's really a roll of the dice and where you are at in your hair loss as well as your health and such.

DSKSABS I really admire your attitude. With all the stuff you have going on, you are still a very friendly person. Many people I know who are battling stuff, and not just the hair, are not- and they aren't diagnosed with mental issues either. God bless.

Artista, you are so incredibly sweet. Thank you so much for the comments on my attitude. I worry at times that I always focus on the negative. I'm actually really surprised that in haven't shed any real tears over this new diagnosis yet. I think that's due in large part to you sharing and getting me mentally prepared for this possibility months ago. I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart!

Scatty, I'm so sorry to hear that you are also battling the same thing. I wish you the best in your journey with this condition too. We'll definitely keep the thread going.

Scatty
July 15th, 2014, 09:46 AM
DKSABS and Artista, thank you so much for your replies. It really helps me to know that I can 'talk' to ladies with the same condition, although this is not something I'd wish on anyone. You both seem to have great attitudes. Artista, yes, your SD sounds very similar to what I am experiencing with itchiness, althought I can't see that I have any scalp redness or flaking.

I'm so sorry that you are going through lots of other health problems too DKSABS.

I forgot to say I am also taking finasteride (Propecia) advised by my derm. Again it has not me helped any, but I just wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) that there are finasteride and spironolactone that are thought to help some women with this condition. I have not had any side effects at all from finasteride, but wish it was helping.

Can I ask if anyone sheds constantly like me? How do you cope with it emotionally - I find my heart sinks and I get so anxious when I have a big shed day :(

Scatty
July 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
DKSABS and Artista, thank you so much for your replies. It really helps me to know that I can 'talk' to ladies with the same condition, although this is not something I'd wish on anyone. You both seem to have great attitudes. Artista, yes, your SD sounds very similar to what I am experiencing with itchiness, althought I can't see that I have any scalp redness or flaking.

I'm so sorry that you are going through lots of other health problems too DKSABS.

I forgot to say I am also taking finasteride (Propecia) advised by my derm. Again it has not me helped any, but I just wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) that there are finasteride and spironolactone that are thought to help some women with this condition. I have not had any side effects at all from finasteride, but wish it was helping.

Can I ask if anyone sheds constantly like me? How do you cope with it emotionally - I find my heart sinks and I get so anxious when I have a big shed day :(

Artista
July 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM

I tried spiro and finasteride. Nothing helped. Emotionally you just have to accept it is what it is. I have my mom who is really diffuse and a dad that is bald so that sort of prepared me when I was diagnosed with AGA. It's not easy especially when you are just turning 50 in 3 months. At least my mom's didn't get real bad until 60.

When I was first going through it and freaking out, I read on herhairlosshelp.com a gal there that suggested to do a wash every day. Doesn't have to involve shampoo but just so the loose hairs come out because if you stretch it out, then of course more hair will be in the drain = more stress. It's a mind trick as you'd lose that hair anyway, but having it come out more daily rather than 2 or 3 x as much cuz you haven't washed in a couple days at least gives you a mind trick.

For me my SD causes massive itchies and hair loss, a burning scalp when I got into a bigger shed. Some days it's ok but it's never a normal feeling scalp. I also get SD on my face where it's itchy and red with sometimes really small bumps. I guess count your blessings that it could be worse from where you are at now or you could have a life threatening condition.

Artista
July 15th, 2014, 10:23 AM
For those of you who have dermatitis of some sort on your scalp which causes redness, itchies, burning, or.... Theraneem shampoos does the best job I've seen and I've tried then all. T-gel by Neutrogena did too but I read bad things about coal tar being carcinogic so I stopped it. I use Theraneem volumizing shampoo because I try for volume. But be forewarned if you want to get it, it STINKS! It's the neem in it. I put up with it because it soothes when I feel my scalp is almost unbearable. I leave the poo in for at least 5 minutes to do it's thing and rinse in lukewarm-cool water. Too warm or hot water aggravates scalp conditions. The poo is also runny so use a little at a time to get the lather going on your scalp. Being it's all natural, you won't get a ton of lather but you don't need it. The point is it's runny so it penetrates your scalp better as you sit with it on for 5 minutes. I wet my hair only and put this in then sit with it. Then I go in the shower to rinse and shower. You'll need a conditioner after it. I haven't tried Theraneem condish since condish is meant for the ends and not the scalp so I can't comment on it.

Scatty
July 16th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks Artista for your suggestions. I'm sorry you had no results with finasteride or spiro. At least you know you have done your best to help the condition.

I am not yet 40, so I know I have many more years of this to feel anxious about, and you're right, I have to just accept it. I wash my hair (just focusing on my scalp) every other day at the moment, varying SLS and SLS-free shampoos. If I don't wash it that frequently I get itchies and more hair fall.

I have not tried Theraneem, I am not sure I am able to get it in the UK.

I have found since the shedding started that my hair texture has completely changed. Has yours?

I have gone from having quite thick wavy hair to much thinner, drier, frizzier, flyaway hair of all different lengths. I think possibly my hair has got even curlier too. I can never run my fingers through it without coming across tangles. Anyway it looks a disaster, but I am trying to find the best way to care for the hair that I have, experimenting with leave-ins and different conditioners.

Beborani
July 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Scatty, I am going to make some suggestions for you if you dont mind. First, you said your scalp itches and you think it is due to sheds. What I found with rogaine/minoxidil is that sometimes my scalp itches, it gets a bit red and then goes away. In a few days I see new follicles forming in that area. I observed this in the frontal areas a few times and only happens sometimes--perhaps lots of new follciles are trying to come out at the same time? So, please dont take this the wrong way but are you sure you are not getting new growth along with shedding? Since you want to give up on minoxidil here is my suggestion before you quit. Buy liquid not foam--I suspect a lot of foam gets caught in hair and never reaches your scalp--it is designed for men who have large balding areas, not women who have long hair but diffused thinning. Since you are already using 5 percent, perhaps it is wise to stick with it but apply about half of it in just one area--pick an area, remember it and concentrate on it--remaining you may run through rest of scalp. Observe that area for 2 months and then decide. It takes a really long time to see growth when there is lot of hair loss. My frontal hairline picture I posted--it took two years of focussed application to get to that point and it is still not filled in--I cannot part my hair in the center even now. Good luck--it is not fun losing hair at any age--it happened to me at 17--I went from thickest hair in the neighborhood to old lady like thin hair in a year--but things changed after 30 years, so who knows. There are new discoveries and inventions being made all the time, you may get it all back!

Artista
July 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Artista for your suggestions. I'm sorry you had no results with finasteride or spiro. At least you know you have done your best to help the condition.

I am not yet 40, so I know I have many more years of this to feel anxious about, and you're right, I have to just accept it. I wash my hair (just focusing on my scalp) every other day at the moment, varying SLS and SLS-free shampoos. If I don't wash it that frequently I get itchies and more hair fall.

I have not tried Theraneem, I am not sure I am able to get it in the UK.

I have found since the shedding started that my hair texture has completely changed. Has yours?

I have gone from having quite thick wavy hair to much thinner, drier, frizzier, flyaway hair of all different lengths. I think possibly my hair has got even curlier too. I can never run my fingers through it without coming across tangles. Anyway it looks a disaster, but I am trying to find the best way to care for the hair that I have, experimenting with leave-ins and different conditioners.

I think you can get Theraneem online in the UK? Again, it STINKS like neem does but leaving it on my scalp for min 5 minutes helps with the itchies. I use it a couple times a week.

My hair is more brittle and the strands are thinner in diameter. That's part of the miniturization process. I've never had a ton of hair but each strand was on the thick side and with my poofy/wavy/curly type of hair, I can mask the thinning better than someone with no body or poof in their hair. It also breaks easily so use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to comb your hair. Don't get it tangly or try not to by combing your hair before shower and using your fingers to detangle after the conditioner part. Don't twist it up in a towel. I just gently get the excess water out in my towel and let it air dry. That's one reason why I get my color done only like 3 times a year. It's pretty rough even if you are gentle on the hair and I'm trying not to lose more than I already do.

vindo
July 16th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I don't have Alopecia, but I remember a doctor suggested I have it because of how my hair fell out (thinning at the temples and sides).
I didn't really buy into the diagnosis then and kept searching.

It took me some time to figure out what my problems were but what I know of now is that my ferritin levels were too low (25) which can cause hair loss, even if it is in the lower normal range. And it only slowed down once my levels got over 70.
I also have been dealing with a scalp fungus. It is barely noticeable actually. You would think I just have minor dandruff and the occasional itch. Well the fungus is worse in some spots which ended up looking like Alopecia.

You may have Alopecia, but it may also be something else. Often numerous small problems contribute to increased shedding. I was able to witness my shedding being reduced with every little problem solved.
My suggestion would be to look into all possible reasons for hair loss still, despite a diagnosis. Doctors can be wrong/ partially wrong and they can overlook things. If I would have listened to doctors only, I would literally be a "train wreck" right now...:(

As far as addressing Alopecia goes - Alopecia has also been linked to inflammation in the body and auto-immune disorders. So lowering inflammation by tackling life style and diet is one of the most promising approaches out there. That is something I have been doing for years and I reversed my Hashimoto's among other problems. There is lots of literature and diet plans that exclude foods that raise inflammation in the body (Gluten for example). This can benefit the body as a whole...like a total health makeover :)

Hormones that are out of balance, can also be a factor. Often this is linked to the estrogen metabolism not working properly, which can raise Androgens. There are ways to regulate this with a sort of detox using herbal supplements. I was able to restore a healthy menstrual cycle with these (I went from a 40 day cycle with lots of PMS and black, clumpy blood to a 28 day cycle, pain free, light bleeding and red blood...perfect :))

I never tried any hair loss drugs or tinctures. Imho they are a band aid and not a long term solution. One may use them to try and get temporary relief of course, but I personally never felt like trying it.

If you are interested let me know and I'll explain more.

Whatever you are going to try, I hope you will be able to find a solution. :flower:

Artista
July 16th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Androgenetic alopecia is the toughest to treat much less have success with even with Rogaine. That's why people should get a biopsy to make sure what looks like this really is. For health purposes, it's good to get everything checked but it's not going to stop androgenetic alopecia. You maybe can get it to slow down but that's about it long term.

Artista
July 16th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I just saw that Selsum Blue normal to oily formula is still available! I remember this worked well for my SD too! I thought it was discontinued. So between this and the Theraneem I'm armed pretty good to fight dermatitis crap! :D

ErinLeigh
July 16th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I am sorry to hear you are going through this but I admire you so much that it makes me happy to see you handling things strongly.
I suggest don't lose hope. Everyone's body is different. Maybe there are things that will work for you to slow things down such as hormone therapy. Also what the other poster said about inflammation and itching..try reading the Perricone Prescription Diet you start to feel that is your case also. He really delves into which foods are inflammatory to the body. There are also Hair transplants if it becomes something you choose not live with. Advances and technology have come far and prices get better and better. There are options for you but right now I am sure you are dealing with emotion and information overload so I will keep this short. I am no one to give advice. I just really wanted to keep it positive with ideas of hope for you.

Just take time. Speak with Dr and see what feels right for you when you are ready. You are so kind and so beautiful. We will be here everyday to listen and support if that is what you need.

Artista
July 17th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately hair transplants don't work with androgenetic hair loss. That was my first question years ago to a couple specialists as I started to save for it back then. Diet and general good health is all you can do, and a good attitude about it.

ErinLeigh
July 18th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I thought they could if the issue was front of scalp...as long as there was sufficient hair stability in donor region, bit unless that donor region was for sure not going to thin then yes it would be pointless wouldn't it?
I didn't think about it being all over at this time and would have felt uneasy asking. I was thinking it was only happening at the top right now bit not thinking what the diagnosis is for future expectation . Shouldn't have assumed. Can the Dr tell you if it will be limited to an area or is it a wait/see?

I think you are really fortunate to have a Dr who was very upfront with you as I have heard of situations where Drs offered this option to people who were not good candidates. I also think it is great you were there to help guide OP to get informed. We are very lucky to have each other on these boards.

lapushka
July 18th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Read about how you discovered the AA, and am really surprised how you're handling this so far (rather well). I guess there's no cure, and I know about that. I have a disability (without a cure) and chronic pain, so I get how accepting this is so difficult. That goes for any condition, regardless of how bad it is.

Artista
July 18th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I thought they could if the issue was front of scalp...as long as there was sufficient hair stability in donor region, bit unless that donor region was for sure not going to thin then yes it would be pointless wouldn't it?
I didn't think about it being all over at this time and would have felt uneasy asking. I was thinking it was only happening at the top right now bit not thinking what the diagnosis is for future expectation . Shouldn't have assumed. Can the Dr tell you if it will be limited to an area or is it a wait/see?

I think you are really fortunate to have a Dr who was very upfront with you as I have heard of situations where Drs offered this option to people who were not good candidates. I also think it is great you were there to help guide OP to get informed. We are very lucky to have each other on these boards.

It's unstable all over the scalp. So all you are doing is moving follicles that is somewhere in the phase of dying and moving it. It'll eventually die. It's diffuse thinning only you see with AGA the top suffer the most first.

Here's a good article on it from webmd that explains it well:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/women-hair-restoration

DKSABS
July 18th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I am sorry to hear you are going through this but I admire you so much that it makes me happy to see you handling things strongly.
I suggest don't lose hope. Everyone's body is different. Maybe there are things that will work for you to slow things down such as hormone therapy. Also what the other poster said about inflammation and itching..try reading the Perricone Prescription Diet you start to feel that is your case also. He really delves into which foods are inflammatory to the body. There are also Hair transplants if it becomes something you choose not live with. Advances and technology have come far and prices get better and better. There are options for you but right now I am sure you are dealing with emotion and information overload so I will keep this short. I am no one to give advice. I just really wanted to keep it positive with ideas of hope for you.

Just take time. Speak with Dr and see what feels right for you when you are ready. You are so kind and so beautiful. We will be here everyday to listen and support if that is what you need.

ErinLeigh, You have always been so kind and caring, and offering such helpful information and encouragement. I really appreciate the support!!

Read about how you discovered the AA, and am really surprised how you're handling this so far (rather well). I guess there's no cure, and I know about that. I have a disability (without a cure) and chronic pain, so I get how accepting this is so difficult. That goes for any condition, regardless of how bad it is.

Thanks lapushka. I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I'm just getting so used to having one new diagnosis after another lately, and many of them with no cure, so I guess I just took this new one in stride. I also have several different diseases with no cure that cause chronic pain and overwhelming fatigue, and lately the new diagnoses are just a whirlwind and I can't even research one fully before another pops up. I had my very first ever thyroid ultrasound week before last and saw my immunologist this week for results and he's alarmed that there's a rather large nodule in there and that no doctor has ever ordered any scans, so we have no baseline to know how long this thing (and several other smaller ones) have been there and how fast they're growing. He has ordered a biopsy, which I'll have done next Thursday. Hope to get the results of that soon so I can stop worrying. Also, I guess I haven't given up hope yet, because I'm fairly new to LHC and have learned just how much I've been doing wrong with my scalp and hair all these years and am have only just begun making changes, one at a time, as I've learned more and more on LHC, and I still have hope that things will improve before they get worse, based on these changes. (I stopped bleaching my hair and switched to henna. Also stopped washing every single day and now am able to go two days before washing instead of daily. I have wavy hair with bangs that won't cooperate, and I used to blow dry the bangs with heat every single morning, aiming the blow dryer right where those new balding spots are now. I've completely stopped blow drying, so hopefully that will improve things (in addition to stopping bleach, cutting back on washing daily, using all natural products and cutting out chemicals in shampoos, condish, etc).

It doesn't look too bad from the front and my left side, and the badly thinning areas are on my right side, so I've been trying to part my hair to cover the holes. It doesn't always work, but sometimes wearing a headband can try to cover it. Here are some pix I took today:

Outdoors on an overcast day:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-47.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-47.jpg.html)

Indoors with flash. The balding spots aren't so obvious from this angle.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-49.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-49.jpg.html)

I was taking these pix for the Show Me Your Henna'd Hair thread. When I got to this side view, it hit me how thin my hair is getting now. You can really see the biggest bald spot I have from this angle.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-52.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-52.jpg.html)

It's unstable all over the scalp. So all you are doing is moving follicles that is somewhere in the phase of dying and moving it. It'll eventually die. It's diffuse thinning only you see with AGA the top suffer the most first.

Here's a good article on it from webmd that explains it well:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/women-hair-restoration

Artista, thanks again for sharing your research and findings with us. It's very helpful.

Artista
July 19th, 2014, 01:12 AM
DKSABS- You're hair color looks much nicer on you than the blonde. Looks like it covers it better than the blonde too. Did you try a cosmetic powder like Xfusion to fill in the spots so it won't scream bald spot in the areas that are difficult to cover? I agree with headbands, partial scarfs... I do that too.

lapushka
July 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks lapushka. I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I'm just getting so used to having one new diagnosis after another lately, and many of them with no cure, so I guess I just took this new one in stride. I also have several different diseases with no cure that cause chronic pain and overwhelming fatigue, and lately the new diagnoses are just a whirlwind and I can't even research one fully before another pops up. I had my very first ever thyroid ultrasound week before last and saw my immunologist this week for results and he's alarmed that there's a rather large nodule in there and that no doctor has ever ordered any scans, so we have no baseline to know how long this thing (and several other smaller ones) have been there and how fast they're growing. He has ordered a biopsy, which I'll have done next Thursday. Hope to get the results of that soon so I can stop worrying. Also, I guess I haven't given up hope yet, because I'm fairly new to LHC and have learned just how much I've been doing wrong with my scalp and hair all these years and am have only just begun making changes, one at a time, as I've learned more and more on LHC, and I still have hope that things will improve before they get worse, based on these changes. (I stopped bleaching my hair and switched to henna. Also stopped washing every single day and now am able to go two days before washing instead of daily. I have wavy hair with bangs that won't cooperate, and I used to blow dry the bangs with heat every single morning, aiming the blow dryer right where those new balding spots are now. I've completely stopped blow drying, so hopefully that will improve things (in addition to stopping bleach, cutting back on washing daily, using all natural products and cutting out chemicals in shampoos, condish, etc).

It doesn't look too bad from the front and my left side, and the badly thinning areas are on my right side, so I've been trying to part my hair to cover the holes. It doesn't always work, but sometimes wearing a headband can try to cover it. Here are some pix I took today:

Outdoors on an overcast day:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-47.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-47.jpg.html)

Indoors with flash. The balding spots aren't so obvious from this angle.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-49.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-49.jpg.html)

I was taking these pix for the Show Me Your Henna'd Hair thread. When I got to this side view, it hit me how thin my hair is getting now. You can really see the biggest bald spot I have from this angle.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-52.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-52.jpg.html)

It's hardly noticeable, maybe a little in the last picture, but it's not too too bad yet! Have a little faith that it won't get worse any time soon and that it will be confined to that small spot. I'm sorry to hear you're suffering as bad as you are. Hoping the biopsy will come back okay. Keeping fingers crossed! :) :flower:

DKSABS
July 19th, 2014, 06:42 PM
It's hardly noticeable, maybe a little in the last picture, but it's not too too bad yet! Have a little faith that it won't get worse any time soon and that it will be confined to that small spot. I'm sorry to hear you're suffering as bad as you are. Hoping the biopsy will come back okay. Keeping fingers crossed! :) :flower:

Thank you!

DKSABS- You're hair color looks much nicer on you than the blonde. Looks like it covers it better than the blonde too. Did you try a cosmetic powder like Xfusion to fill in the spots so it won't scream bald spot in the areas that are difficult to cover? I agree with headbands, partial scarfs... I do that too.

Thanks! I'm really happy with the henna and wish I'd stop the bleached blonde look long ago now that I know about henna and it's magic. I bought some of the Xfusion when I was still a blonde and tried it a few times but had issues with it irritating my lungs and my chronically dry eyes. Also, I usually wash my hair in the mornings and let my hair air dry on the way to work, so I couldn't use it on wash days at all. If I were to try it (or another brand) again, I'm not sure what color to try now that I'm a henna head. A brown color would work better indoors in most light, but I don't know if it would be weird looking when I walk outside and my hair turns such a bright copper color.

Artista
July 19th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Thank you!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the henna and wish I'd stop the bleached blonde look long ago now that I know about henna and it's magic. I bought some of the Xfusion when I was still a blonde and tried it a few times but had issues with it irritating my lungs and my chronically dry eyes. Also, I usually wash my hair in the mornings and let my hair air dry on the way to work, so I couldn't use it on wash days at all. If I were to try it (or another brand) again, I'm not sure what color to try now that I'm a henna head. A brown color would work better indoors in most light, but I don't know if it would be weird looking when I walk outside and my hair turns such a bright copper color.

ShaBo cosmetics is the other one that is good. http://www.shabocosmetics.com/
You can email her your spots and she can see your hair color in different lighting. Then she'll send you samples and suggest what to mix that may work in those areas. You would have to at least dry your scalp so you could apply this as it's also powder but you apply with a brush. Then you could just let your ends air dry. Bonnie is very nice and helpful since she has AGA too and isn't just a company, but a real person. Maybe applying with the brush would work better rather than sprinkling. It too is messy as it goes with powders. What I liked about her line is you can mix different shades and are bound to find a combo that'll work whereas with Xfusion, there is limited colors.

DKSABS
July 27th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the link and the info. I went to her website on my phone today, but for some reason the site isn't working tonight on my computer. I did find her on Facebook though, and she posted a business card with her email address on there, so I went ahead and sent her an email tonight with a link to my photobucket photos and an attached image of my worst bald spot. I'm looking forward to receiving samples and trying them out.

Question for you - when you use the Shabo powder, do you have to use hairspray to set it and make it stay? I'm avoiding hairspray now, trying to prevent more damage.

Artista
July 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the link and the info. I went to her website on my phone today, but for some reason the site isn't working tonight on my computer. I did find her on Facebook though, and she posted a business card with her email address on there, so I went ahead and sent her an email tonight with a link to my photobucket photos and an attached image of my worst bald spot. I'm looking forward to receiving samples and trying them out.

Question for you - when you use the Shabo powder, do you have to use hairspray to set it and make it stay? I'm avoiding hairspray now, trying to prevent more damage.

I think it stays in fine. With this it's not a sprinkle. She'll send you samples where you can mix up a few to see what blends in best. There is a small brush. The full size product of course you get bigger brush. But what you get is enough to mix it up to see what blends the best. You can also call her. I've spoken to her on the phone before. She's very nice and helpful. It's just gets messy but if it works for you, that'll become small peanuts in the big picture.

DKSABS
July 28th, 2014, 09:53 PM
That's good! Looking forward to hearing back from her and trying some samples soon.

Artista
July 29th, 2014, 01:32 PM
You could always call her if it's taking too long for you. I'm impatient and would be on the phone. lol Toll Free: (877)734-9925

DKSABS
July 29th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks so much for telling me to call her and making it easy by providing her phone number! She never got my email the other night so I'm really glad I called her tonight. We became friends on facebook and she was able to see my recent FB profile pix with the different shades of hair outdoors and indoors in different light. I emailed her the side view with the bald spot that I posed here and she said she wasn't seeing my alopecia spot in my facebook photos. I told her I would NEVER purposely post a photo with visible bald spots on facebook for all the world to see, and she laughed. Thank goodness by bald areas aren't too visible from the front facing view yet. I told Bonnie that I've shared those embarrassing pictures on here, but never on facebook. She asked me who referred me and I told her the only name I know you by is Artista and that's probably not the name you use when you place orders. I told her that you're the one who first mentioned the possibility of androgenetic alopecia months ago and I was in denial. And that you're the one who encouraged me to ask for the biopsy so I'd know what it is I'm dealing with. My own dermatologist would have never brought it up if I hadn't specifically asked. Bonnie was touched that you shared all of this with me. Thank you again for being there for me. I sincerely appreciate it.

Artista
July 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks so much for telling me to call her and making it easy by providing her phone number! She never got my email the other night so I'm really glad I called her tonight. We became friends on facebook and she was able to see my recent FB profile pix with the different shades of hair outdoors and indoors in different light. I emailed her the side view with the bald spot that I posed here and she said she wasn't seeing my alopecia spot in my facebook photos. I told her I would NEVER purposely post a photo with visible bald spots on facebook for all the world to see, and she laughed. Thank goodness by bald areas aren't too visible from the front facing view yet. I told Bonnie that I've shared those embarrassing pictures on here, but never on facebook. She asked me who referred me and I told her the only name I know you by is Artista and that's probably not the name you use when you place orders. I told her that you're the one who first mentioned the possibility of androgenetic alopecia months ago and I was in denial. And that you're the one who encouraged me to ask for the biopsy so I'd know what it is I'm dealing with. My own dermatologist would have never brought it up if I hadn't specifically asked. Bonnie was touched that you shared all of this with me. Thank you again for being there for me. I sincerely appreciate it.

No problem. Glad you got to speak with her, and definitley show her the pics that really show it. She's not going to share it so no need to conceal. I thought it odd when some time had gone by as she responds FAST. She is very helpful. I discovered her in 2008 so she probably wouldn't remember me. I like supporting family business and one where someone really cares and takes the time with you. I must have drove her nuts with my asking questions and all back then. And yeah, she'd maybe know me by my real name unless I referenced myself on herhairlosshelp.com as Artista there. I was just looking into what am I going to do since nothing was working and I knew from others before me that eventually I'd need a concealer.

I hope her products will help. Don't give up too soon on trying to get the right shade. You have to experiment with try this amount to this amount to this amount of these colors. She can help you with how much of something to mix to try. She's very patient. Hope it works out for you. I love Bonnie. I still have Xfusion that I got free from my hairdresser. With my poofy hair type I can still conceal pretty good and only use it only for special occasions (I don't work right now). But when it's wet, OMG! I am simply amazed how much my hair can poof up when dry after seeing it wet! But some day even the poof factor won't do it and I'll be contacting Bonnie again!

DKSABS
November 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I haven't posted an update in a long time, but thought I'd share a couple of pix that show how Shabo works to hide the thinning areas of scalp that show through. I've been happy with the product. My shedding slowed down significantly for a few months, but it just got worse again in the past week and a half.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-61.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-61.jpg.html)

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-60.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-60.jpg.html)

IngridSchossler
December 14th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Hi guys, this is gonna be my first time writing here. Usually just came by once in a while, when I stared shedding in 2011, after a bad bleaching job and lots of stress. I also had stopped with the pill about 2 months before.
A couple months later I got pregnant and the shedding stopped completely from 6 months preg until my baby was 3 months old (which makes me think that my hair loss may be related to hormonal imbalance). Shedding was massive, around 700 strands in the shower (mixed with some breakage).
Now it comes and goes: I shed about 350 strands a day for 6 months, and it stops for 1 mobth, then comes back slowly. My estradiol and FSH are almost 0, I have trhombocythopenia (since 2007) and also have vitamin D and B12 deficiency, but the dermatologist ignored all these facts and said I have androgenetic alopecia by the looks of my scalp, since I have thinning in my crown (which is also the place I blowdry everyday) suggesting female pattern baldness. She ordered a few more tests and will put me on minoxidil depending on the results. I used it already with some results, stopped and had a massive shedding. I had to stop taking the pill for 5 months as well, so my hormones are hectic. I'll see different doctors in hope to find a cause other then androgenetic alopecia, but I'm almost positive that the shedding is beyond tellogen efluvium since it's been almost 4 years now, and I've lost about 30% of my hair...
Th tips in this forum are great, thanks guys!

lapushka
December 14th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Hi guys, this is gonna be my first time writing here. Usually just came by once in a while, when I stared shedding in 2011, after a bad bleaching job and lots of stress. I also had stopped with the pill about 2 months before.
A couple months later I got pregnant and the shedding stopped completely from 6 months preg until my baby was 3 months old (which makes me think that my hair loss may be related to hormonal imbalance). Shedding was massive, around 700 strands in the shower (mixed with some breakage).
Now it comes and goes: I shed about 350 strands a day for 6 months, and it stops for 1 mobth, then comes back slowly. My estradiol and FSH are almost 0, I have trhombocythopenia (since 2007) and also have vitamin D and B12 deficiency, but the dermatologist ignored all these facts and said I have androgenetic alopecia by the looks of my scalp, since I have thinning in my crown (which is also the place I blowdry everyday) suggesting female pattern baldness. She ordered a few more tests and will put me on minoxidil depending on the results. I used it already with some results, stopped and had a massive shedding. I had to stop taking the pill for 5 months as well, so my hormones are hectic. I'll see different doctors in hope to find a cause other then androgenetic alopecia, but I'm almost positive that the shedding is beyond tellogen efluvium since it's been almost 4 years now, and I've lost about 30% of my hair...
Th tips in this forum are great, thanks guys!

Keep us posted. I hope things get better for you! :flower:

IngridSchossler
December 14th, 2014, 05:23 PM
thank you, I sure will :)

DKSABS
December 14th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, definitely keep us posted. I feel your pain. I also used to blow dry the top of my head where the thinning hair is the worst every single day trying to make unruly bangs with a cowlick go straight. Wish I'd known then what I know now, and wish I'd found LHC so much sooner. Now I only wash twice per week, and never use the blow dryer. I'm growing out the bangs, so they can just curl naturally and air dry like the rest of my hair from now on. Hopefully you can find a good doctor to help get the hormones in balance and hopefully that will help. Good luck!

Agnieszka
December 15th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I don't have Alopecia, but I remember a doctor suggested I have it because of how my hair fell out (thinning at the temples and sides).
I didn't really buy into the diagnosis then and kept searching.

It took me some time to figure out what my problems were but what I know of now is that my ferritin levels were too low (25) which can cause hair loss, even if it is in the lower normal range. And it only slowed down once my levels got over 70.
I also have been dealing with a scalp fungus. It is barely noticeable actually. You would think I just have minor dandruff and the occasional itch. Well the fungus is worse in some spots which ended up looking like Alopecia.

You may have Alopecia, but it may also be something else. Often numerous small problems contribute to increased shedding. I was able to witness my shedding being reduced with every little problem solved.
My suggestion would be to look into all possible reasons for hair loss still, despite a diagnosis. Doctors can be wrong/ partially wrong and they can overlook things. If I would have listened to doctors only, I would literally be a "train wreck" right now...:(

As far as addressing Alopecia goes - Alopecia has also been linked to inflammation in the body and auto-immune disorders. So lowering inflammation by tackling life style and diet is one of the most promising approaches out there. That is something I have been doing for years and I reversed my Hashimoto's among other problems. There is lots of literature and diet plans that exclude foods that raise inflammation in the body (Gluten for example). This can benefit the body as a whole...like a total health makeover :)

Hormones that are out of balance, can also be a factor. Often this is linked to the estrogen metabolism not working properly, which can raise Androgens. There are ways to regulate this with a sort of detox using herbal supplements. I was able to restore a healthy menstrual cycle with these (I went from a 40 day cycle with lots of PMS and black, clumpy blood to a 28 day cycle, pain free, light bleeding and red blood...perfect :))

I never tried any hair loss drugs or tinctures. Imho they are a band aid and not a long term solution. One may use them to try and get temporary relief of course, but I personally never felt like trying it.

If you are interested let me know and I'll explain more.

Whatever you are going to try, I hope you will be able to find a solution. :flower:

Thank you Emichiee it was very informative. I hope it's a right place to ask and other users won't mind but would you be able to tell me more in regards to diet please? What about dairy, gluten and coffee? Would I have to stop eating it?

summergame
April 25th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I have also Androgenetic Alopecia, the male balt pattern version for almost 6 years now. I use minoxidil 5% from bailleul. In the beginning it helped me a lot and there were baby fine hairs on my temples again. Unfortunaly after a few months they all fell out. Now I have again a shed from those hairs and my scalp iches very much. I will call my doctor tomorrow for a prescription to a dermatologist.

How are you now DKSABS? Do you see progress?