PDA

View Full Version : Who Knew?

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM
OK, so I have posted here on the forum about how my hair is stick-straight, fine, and thin. I used to (when I was young and stupid) perm my hair regularly. But after I had my son (who is almost 10 now), every perm I had fell out. I could not get a curl to hold with hot rollers, steam rollers, curling irons, mousse, gel, spray, or anythng else. Well, having been inspired by the board here, I tried a wet set, and it worked. BUT, the drawback was that in order to make it work, I had to use a ton of mousse or gel in my hair. Hard to get the tangles out afterwards. Without the mousse or gel, it was flat within an hour.

Well, I have been CO washing for over a year, and recently switched to CV bars. I used baking soda first, then started with the bars, then got started with the ACV rinses. I still like to use a little bit of a leave-in detangler with cones, because my hair loves them, but in moderate amounts.

Anyway, the texture of my hair seems different now, so last night I decided to try to set it again, with no mousse or gel. I dampened it with some of my Aussie hair insurance leave-in (coney, but nice), and then rolled it on my wrap snap n go rollers again.

When I took it out this morning, all I can say is OMG! I have BETTER curl now than with the mousse or gel.....I took it out 5 hours ago, and here are the pics of what it looks like!

Sorry the pics are so big, but I couldn't get them to re-size.....

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/ediefoss/sidenomousse2.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/ediefoss/backnomousse2.jpg

nappywomyn
September 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Wow! Pretty! :thud: And I LOVE that color!

mortiziia
September 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Looks GREAT!

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Wow! Pretty! :thud: And I LOVE that color!

Thank you!!!

I wish the color was natural, but I must admit that I am a chemical colorer.....BUT that is the only "bad thing" that I do to my hair.....otherwise, I baby it.

And thank you too, mortiziia!!

Silver & Gold
September 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
That's something to be excited about. Wow, very nice.

feralnature
September 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Gorgeous!!!!

Anne~
September 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Very pretty the curls look natural.

bunnii
September 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Looks good :) just shows you don't need loads of products to have stunning hair (like yours)

Jean_Grey
September 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
That is VERY nice! I'm quite impressed. I bet it's very touchable too, something you won't get with mousse (bleah).

Islandgrrl
September 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Wow....look at those curls!!! They are absolutely awesome!

Only in my wildest dreams....sigh.

Tapioca
September 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Whatta ya know? You're a closet curly!

Tressie
September 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hey it looks great! How many curlers did you have to put in to get that much curl? It's holding well too! LOVELY!:)

LaurelSpring
September 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Hey it looks great! How many curlers did you have to put in to get that much curl? It's holding well too! LOVELY!:)

Yes, what sort of curlers did you use and how many/placement? I would love to get that spiral.

Fencai
September 19th, 2008, 10:12 AM
woa!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!

yogachic
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You got beautiful results! Those curls are awesome. Do you henna, your color is also wonderful?

paper
September 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Wow :thud: What gorgeous curls and color.

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you all so much, everybody! I am so excited, because I have always wished for this kind of curl, but could never get it, even with perms. I just had to share the joy, and knew that you could all probably relate to hair love!!!

Let's see if I can answer everybody's questions with one post.....

I used the wrap snap n go curlers......here is the link http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100842&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod950800#description

They are basically a glorified rag roller.....foam in the middle, covered with fabric, and a snap on the ends.....

I used 4 sets, so that would be 48 total.....I used small pieces of hair, in a regular pattern on the head, but wrapped them vertically (like a candy cane)....because if you do them like traditional rolling (holding the roller horizonatlly), you don't get the spirals. I put more rollers in the back, because the hair on the back of my head is all one length, my sides have some long layers and seem to curl easier......

And, yes, I can run my fingers through these curls, which I couldn't do when I used mousse and/or gel.

As for the color, that is one vice that I cannot give up....chemical color.....I use Hydrience Ruby Twilight, which is described as "Intense Deep Red"....but, other than the coloring, I do treat my hair well.....no heat styling (unless it is an emergency, and then only a blow drier on low)......no perms, no harsh shampoos.

Thanks again everybody, for sharing my excitement with me!!

lawyermom
September 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Looks beautiful!

Xandergrammy
September 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Your Curls Are Gorgeous!!!

Morticia
September 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Amazing!!!

My hair also eats curls, so I am impressed that you were able to get your hair to look like that without any heat. How long does it take to wrap 48 curlers, though? It sounds like it would take a couple of hours.

morningstar
September 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dolly Goodness woman that is beautiful. I love that color and am seriously thinking about chemical color again upon seeing this. GAH!
Those curls are to die for also. :)

WritingPrincess
September 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! Those are very pretty curls!

angelthadiva
September 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
holy cow I am jealous! :thud:

xrosiex
September 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
What beautiful,beautiful curls. Your hair looks picture perfect.:)

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Amazing!!!

My hair also eats curls, so I am impressed that you were able to get your hair to look like that without any heat. How long does it take to wrap 48 curlers, though? It sounds like it would take a couple of hours.

It gets faster everytime I do it......it took me over an hour the first time, and about 40 minutes this time....

If I put hot rollers in my hair (even those Caruso steam thingies), or use a curling iron, my hair is back to stick straight within 15 minutes or less. It isn't worth even considering. That's why I gave all of my heated appliances away about 6 years ago.

Thank you all for all of the sweet words!

BTW, it has been about 10 hrs now since I unwrapped the curlers.....the curls have relaxed considerably, BUT I still have a full head of big, loose, bouncy spirals.....I am loving this.....

Angellen
September 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Oh, wow! Those curls look fantastic! You've inspired me. I think I'll wear rollers tonight. :)

Forlorn Reverie
September 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Your hair looks absolutely lovely!

WritingPrincess
September 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I saw those curlers at Walgreens awhile ago, and they are now on my wish list. My hair seems like it's too long for any kind of curler, but I'll have to try them.

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I saw those curlers at Walgreens awhile ago, and they are now on my wish list. My hair seems like it's too long for any kind of curler, but I'll have to try them.

Well, mine is quite a bit shorter than your gorgeous hair, but I thought mine was too long to get a good curl.....was I wrong or what? Give it a try!!

Angelica
September 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I am absolutely amazed. Your hair is incredible. You stated IA F i and yet my hair looks nothing at all like yours. Mine has always been like this. The only time when I could ever have hair curly would be a ton of bendy rollers and even then the curls would drop out almost the instant I went out of the house.

You have amazing hair. Very thick by the look of it.

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I am absolutely amazed. Your hair is incredible. You stated IA F i and yet my hair looks nothing at all like yours. Mine has always been like this. The only time when I could ever have hair curly would be a ton of bendy rollers and even then the curls would drop out almost the instant I went out of the house.

You have amazing hair. Very thick by the look of it.

Thank you!

Actually, to the contrary, my hair is very fine and very thin. You can tell when I wear it natural, because it is stick straight. So straight that I have had people stop me and ask me what kind of flat iron I use on it. I need to take a pic of it when it is "normal".

I used to torture it with perms, which looked horrible, and if I use heat styling, the curl falls out within minutes. That is why this has amazed me so very much.

Have you ever tried a wet set? That's the only way mine will do this.

Unnamed
September 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Dolly -- Wow, very thick, and love the colour!

I have to agree with Angelica, though. Your hair looks like it's likely ii/iii or even iii (at least a full/solid ii), not i. I see very thick, pretty curls, and they're not airy/holey like when I last got my hair to curl (very temporarily--fell pretty much right out) with those same curliers when my hair was thicker (and I used far less than 48, and my hair is now too thin (and long) to even bother trying to curl it).

And, again, amazing curls! *Want.* :D :flower:

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Dolly -- Wow, very thick, and love the colour!

I have to agree with Angelica, though. Your hair looks like it's likely ii/iii or even iii (at least a full/solid ii), not i. I see very thick, pretty curls, and they're not airy/holey like when I last got my hair to curl (very temporarily--fell pretty much right out) with those same curliers when my hair was thicker (and I used far less than 48, and my hair is now too thin (and long) to even bother trying to curl it).

And, again, amazing curls! *Want.* :D :flower:

Thanks for the compliments!

Maybe I just don't understand the identifiers.....when my hair is straight, and I put it in a ponytail, it is very small..... circumference of less than 2".....I thought that would classify me as "thin"...... but if you think I should classify myself as a ii though, I will.....you ladies are the experts!

Unnamed
September 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Well, if the circumference is less than 2" then...I want to know why/how it looks so thick! (But yes, if circ. is always less than 2", then, no, you would be an i. And sorry, I guess I really need to just not post at all. Nothing I say is useful. :( )

Hmm. Maybe it's the amount of curler things/very, very small amount of hair per roller? Sorry, I'm just amazed at how thick it looks, much thicker than I had gotten 'em, and thicker than my mom (her circ. is around the 1" mark) has been able to get curls from 'em--like me, hers ends up rather holey. Makes me tempted to mess with 'em again, even though my last try was...well, pretty disastrous, and my hair is pretty much beyond the 'curlable' length I think. :lol: :oops:

alligatorbaby23
September 20th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Amazing curls.
Awesome color as well!
Who cares about cones if you can rock your curls like a 3c from stick straight hair!

DavidN
September 20th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Oh my goodness, Dolly, just look at those beautiful thick and bouncy curls!:flowers:

winter_star
September 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Nice curls Dolly! They look so natural. It's very impressive.

Dolly
September 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Well, if the circumference is less than 2" then...I want to know why/how it looks so thick! (But yes, if circ. is always less than 2", then, no, you would be an i. And sorry, I guess I really need to just not post at all. Nothing I say is useful. :( )

Hmm. Maybe it's the amount of curler things/very, very small amount of hair per roller? Sorry, I'm just amazed at how thick it looks, much thicker than I had gotten 'em, and thicker than my mom (her circ. is around the 1" mark) has been able to get curls from 'em--like me, hers ends up rather holey. Makes me tempted to mess with 'em again, even though my last try was...well, pretty disastrous, and my hair is pretty much beyond the 'curlable' length I think. :lol: :oops:

No, please give me your feedback......when I filled out my profile, I wasn't sure how all of the identifiers worked.....I could be wrong!

Yes, I used a teensy amount of hair per roller.....thats why I needed 48 rollers on my head, even with the little bit of hair that I have. Teeny tiny ringlets is how it ended up, and then I ran my fingers through it to separate them and fluff them out a little bit.....if I leave the curls "whole" (if that makes sense), I end up with holey ends.....and, coincidentally, if I try to hold the curlers horizontally and wrap them in a "normal" way, they flatten. I hold them vertically and wrap as a spiral......

And, thank you Alligatorbaby, David, and Winter Star! Everyone has been so sweet to me in sharing my excitement!! :cloud9:

Arctic_Mama
September 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Wowie! Those are LOVELY curls, I'd never guess your hair was 1a because it is holding them so well. So do you credit the wash routine with the hair being able to finally do it, the conditioner, or something else?

Dolly
September 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Wowie! Those are LOVELY curls, I'd never guess your hair was 1a because it is holding them so well. So do you credit the wash routine with the hair being able to finally do it, the conditioner, or something else?

Thank you!!

I am tempted to think that it is taking my hair through "detox" that did it.....I think my hair was "chemically dependent"....I was using CO, but I have never gone with an all-natural routine, and even a month or so ago (before I started using the natural poo bars and ACV), the curls wouldn't hold for more than 3-4 hours unless I used a ton of mousse.

crystal_89
September 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I love those curls, they look so natural and your hair looks so healthy. Gives me hope that I can achieve curls like that with my wavy hair.

Dolly
September 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I love those curls, they look so natural and your hair looks so healthy. Gives me hope that I can achieve curls like that with my wavy hair.

Thank you! I'm sure you could! I think your hair is simply lovely!!

skay
September 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Those curls are gorgeous. They look great!

I'm impressed you were able to achieve those with straight, fine hair. Great job!

Thanks for sharing your tips as well.

SarieQ
September 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
WoW! I never would have thought those weren't natural! Congratulations!

FrannyG
September 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Dolly, your beautiful curls are amazing. You've honestly taken my breath away with those photos. They look so natural and perfect! :blossom:

Dolly
September 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thank you! You are all just so nice!

Angelica
September 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Dolly your hair is not as thin as mine! Mine can hold no curl whatsoever. I have tried everything with it. It is poker straight. Only when I had shorter hair could I curl it i.e. load it with gel, and about twenty bendy rollers. Even then if I didn't pin it back somehow all the curls would drop out as soon as I went out of the door. So now I don't bother. I hate it being so straight and thin and fine. Thank goodness my hair looks better up.

You are a ii I am sure of it. Either that or I must be half a i (which makes it sound as if I am balding - and I am not, it is just the hair I have always had.).

Solange
September 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Beautiful! Even taking into account that curls give the impression of extra volume, it's hard to believe that "thin" hair could produce so many ringlets. You've got more hair that you think... :O)

Dolly
September 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
Dolly your hair is not as thin as mine! Mine can hold no curl whatsoever. I have tried everything with it. It is poker straight. Only when I had shorter hair could I curl it i.e. load it with gel, and about twenty bendy rollers. Even then if I didn't pin it back somehow all the curls would drop out as soon as I went out of the door. So now I don't bother. I hate it being so straight and thin and fine. Thank goodness my hair looks better up.

You are a ii I am sure of it. Either that or I must be half a i (which makes it sound as if I am balding - and I am not, it is just the hair I have always had.).

I sincerely appreciate your opinion Angelica :) .....another member ("Unnamed") and I had this same discussion yesterday.....she initally thought that I would probably best be classified as a "ii"......but she subsequently agreed that, when my hair is straight, my ponytail circumference would classify me as a "i". When it is straight, and I pull it back in a normal (kind of loose) ponytail, my circumference is less than 2" (I measured it again this morning, and it is actually 1 and 7/8"). I didn't pull it into a pony and measure when it's curled, but I am quite sure it is more than 2 inches.....maybe I shoud classify myself as a i/ii? What do ya'll think?

Angelica
September 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
I really don't know Dolly, sorry. But it is certainly thicker than mine anyway with those measurements you give.

Are you sure your hair is fine? Perhaps the texture is different?

Curling the hair does make it look a lot thicker though if you have enough of it that is to do so.

Whatever, your hair is gorgeous. Enjoy :)

Dolly
September 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM
I really don't know Dolly, sorry. But it is certainly thicker than mine anyway with those measurements you give.

Are you sure your hair is fine? Perhaps the texture is different?

Curling the hair does make it look a lot thicker though if you have enough of it that is to do so.

Whatever, your hair is gorgeous. Enjoy :)

Thank you! I have updated my profile to a i/ii.....I am hoping, that with the right treatment, that I can eventually update to a full ii......

Medvssa
September 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Wow, you would have fooled me, they look very natural :)

Dolly
September 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Wow, you would have fooled me, they look very natural :)

Thank you! I take that as a BIG compliment!!

MermaidGirl
September 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Those curls look phenomenal! What size rollers did you use? they must've been pretty small to get such a tight curl. Looks lovely!

Dolly
September 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Those curls look phenomenal! What size rollers did you use? they must've been pretty small to get such a tight curl. Looks lovely!

Thank you!! They are the wrap, snap, n go rollers that I picked up at Walgreens.....it is basically a rag roller, but with foam in the middle, and you don't have to fiddle with tying it because it has a snap on the ends....BUT I rolled tiny little pieces of hair in a spiral wrap so that it would curl tight like that.

rapunzhell13
September 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
The curls and the colour go together so well! Very pretty!

Dolly
September 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
Thank you!!

Flutterbee
September 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Lovely color and curls!!

Dolly
September 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thank you flutterbee!

Angelica
September 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Wrap snap and go? I have never heard of them. All the rollers I have tried in the past have been so uncomfortable and recently I had a couple of ends trapped in the roller and ended up with a few knots! Not nice!

Your hair looks great (again I have to say this - If only I could get my hair looking that great.

I have tried condition only washes, it made my hair horrible. Does not like it at all, but then neither do I!

Good luck and keep growing.

Dolly
September 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Wrap snap and go? I have never heard of them. All the rollers I have tried in the past have been so uncomfortable and recently I had a couple of ends trapped in the roller and ended up with a few knots! Not nice!

Your hair looks great (again I have to say this - If only I could get my hair looking that great.

I have tried condition only washes, it made my hair horrible. Does not like it at all, but then neither do I!

Good luck and keep growing.

Thank you again! You're very sweet!

I know what you mean about rollers not being comfortable. Here is the link where I first saw the wrap snap n go. I subsequently called my local Walgreen's and they happened to have them in stock. Good luck to you too!

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100842&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod950800#description

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I would still like to try these, but I know it would probably take at least 2 or 3 packs to try to curl all my hair . I'm afraid to spend the money on these and then them not work. Wonder what the return policy is on them?

Heavenly Locks
October 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I would still like to try these, but I know it would probably take at least 2 or 3 packs to try to curl all my hair . I'm afraid to spend the money on these and then them not work. Wonder what the return policy is on them?

Have you thought about sewing some? :) You could repurpose some old fabric and if you've got a button jar...they'd be almost free!

http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/hair-curler-sewing-tutorial/

(these do kind of look like fabric tampons, thanks DH for noticing! :rolleyes:)

Speckla
October 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Wow. Wow. Wow. I want my curls to look that great!

friskybiznus
October 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Wow, this is so inspiring! I wanna try curls, too!

windinherhair
October 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Wow, that is really good for snap in rollers! It looks so natural. Very pretty!! :)

going gray
October 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wow! You've got lovely hair.

Quixii
October 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Very, very nice! I love it!