PDA

View Full Version : Curly Shout Out: Organic Safe Hair Dye for Long Dark Curly Hair?

Gaelic Girl
July 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Hi Folks!

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place as I've been away a long time and am delighted to be back at LHC!

I have tailbone length dark, curly hair and years ago I tried natural henna on it. I know many people love the stuff, but given it wraps around the follicles, it basically choked off any chance of moisture being able to penetrate the shafts. The result was that I lost a ton of hair and had to cut 17 inches off right away. It took years to come back. This happened before I joined LHC so the pics on here are my hair now, but for about 10% graying at the top and sides.

So, I would love it if the curlies out there might put my mind at ease and be able to give me some product names or recipes for natural hair dye that won't ruin my curls or dry out my hair so it breaks.

Thank you, in advance, for any and all help! I really appreciate it and look forward to getting to know everyone again.

Slainte,
Gaelic Girl

Catladyintown
July 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Hello Gaelic Girl glad to see you back.;) Sorry but have no advice for you on hair coloring, but I am also interested in natural hair dying. Hope someone will chime in.

CurlyCap
July 10th, 2014, 09:36 PM
What color do you want it to be? The problem is not so much that your hair is curly but that it's dark. You'd have to lift color from your hair for most color to show up well at all....which means damage.

For short temporary color (and only highlights at at that), I've been using cream eyeshadows:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123486

ETA: Ack! Sorry! I didn't see that you wanted something organic. But I think the concept is the same. You need something intense enough to show up ON dark hair. Are their natural cream eyeshadows?

red-again
July 11th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Adore is a range of semi permanent dyes ( like manic panic and such) but they have a fab range of natural colours too. You can get them from beeunique in the uk. They are more liquidy than other veggie dyes but to me that makes them so much easier to apply. They are well suited to thick curly hair too, they are used lots by African and Caribbean women.
They do cover grey too, might have to leave it on a bit longer but generally, they cover great.
They don't rub off on hands etc either and any face/scalp staining is gone after first wash.

Oh, and they are cheap!
Eta not natural, but non damaging

Gaelic Girl
July 18th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks, Catladyintown! Nice to see you too! :) So happy to be back!!! :applause

Hello Gaelic Girl glad to see you back.;) Sorry but have no advice for you on hair coloring, but I am also interested in natural hair dying. Hope someone will chime in.

Gaelic Girl
July 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks, CurlyCap! Cream eye shadows? That's a great idea! I have been using mascara but it gloms...still researching so might give this a try.

What color do you want it to be? The problem is not so much that your hair is curly but that it's dark. You'd have to lift color from your hair for most color to show up well at all....which means damage.

For short temporary color (and only highlights at at that), I've been using cream eyeshadows:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123486

ETA: Ack! Sorry! I didn't see that you wanted something organic. But I think the concept is the same. You need something intense enough to show up ON dark hair. Are their natural cream eyeshadows?

Gaelic Girl
July 18th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks so much, red-again! Looking at the site now. I've been doing a lot of research and Aubrey Organics seems to be the safest, but it is still henna, which concerns me. I may try putting coconut oil in the length of my hair first and just applying the goop to my top and sides and brushing through with a toothbrush. The grays are only on the top and sides and I don't feel I want to expose the rest of my hair to potential drying unnecessarily.

Thank you to everyone who posted! I will do this in a week or so and update. :)
Slainte, GG

Adore is a range of semi permanent dyes ( like manic panic and such) but they have a fab range of natural colours too. You can get them from beeunique in the uk. They are more liquidy than other veggie dyes but to me that makes them so much easier to apply. They are well suited to thick curly hair too, they are used lots by African and Caribbean women.
They do cover grey too, might have to leave it on a bit longer but generally, they cover great.
They don't rub off on hands etc either and any face/scalp staining is gone after first wash.

Oh, and they are cheap!
Eta not natural, but non damaging

Gaelic Girl
July 29th, 2014, 11:38 AM
UPDATE: I ordered the Aubrey Organics from iHerb at midnight Monday, and it arrived Friday morning..pretty impressive coming from the UK to Canada!

So...I tried this on Sunday. I pre-oiled the length of my hair with lots of coconut oil. I used distilled water, the juice of half a lemon, a T of instant coffee grounds. I only needed it on the sides and top of my head to cover the grays so that`s where I put the goop. I left it on for 2 hours. With a bag on my head, I periodically warmed the area with a blow dryer so it was always warm throughout the 2 hours. I washed the goop out water and went to bed. The next day my hair still had some oil in in so I brushed it through and put it up in a braided bun for the day. That night I washed it out with Johnson`s Baby Shampoo. This product did such a beautiful job!!!!!! Every grey..and there were many, was coloured either dark brown, medium brown, or caramel. The effect was beautiful and natural. Unlike the other time I hennaed, my hair was wonderfully soft and no hair loss to report as of 3 days later. Now, the curls, or tendrils, at my ears..side of my head were a bit blonder than I wanted so having saved the made up mixture I warmed it up and have it on my head now. I again pre-oiled the length of my hair with coconut oil. Fingers crossed.

I will update in a couple weeks as to shedding, dryness or moisture, overall condition, and how long the stain lasts.

As I said, I`m delighted with the results so far and am really relieved that it doesn`t have the parabens of other colours. I was a bit taken a back when I opened the packge and the henna was marked product of India. I am not familiar with India`s laws on pesticide use on products like henna, so would not be surprised if I traded one set of chemicals for another, sadly.

Stay tuned. Once a couple weeks have gone by I`ll do an update and a proper review on the review forum.
Thank you, again, for all your suggestions.
Slainte, GG

butter52
July 30th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Oh this is interesting!

Can you ladies tell me about how the Aubrey Organics blend and the Adore colouring smell? Im very sensitive to scents (cant suffer henna :( )

Thankyou!