PDA

View Full Version : Tips to Smooth Back of Head?

swords & roses
July 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Whenever I pull my hair back for a ponytail, bun, or other updo, I always end up with bubbles of hair on the back of my head. Doesn't matter if I use a brush, a comb, or my fingers. I can smooth out the top of my head quite well and pretty quickly. But the back of my head is never smooth, no matter how much time I take to get it to all lay right. By the time I'm done styling, there they are, in all their worbly glory.

I've tried all I can think of, so it's time to ask the best experts I know! How do you defeat the Battle of the Bubbles?

Timea
July 10th, 2014, 01:30 PM
i tuck them under my hair, with my fingers if i can, else with the pointy end of a comb, or i run a boar's bristle brush over my hair to smooth it out.

Wosie
July 10th, 2014, 02:07 PM
A boar bristle brush normally helps me a lot when I don't want these bubbly parts. I very easily get them, too! My hair was always moody and bubbly (even my older sister said once that it was near impossible to style my hair). x*)

Entangled
July 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I have this problem! I try to pin the extra hair down, but that's frustrating and tricky. I'll have to try the BBB trick. If I don't pin, I squish them towards what ever style I'm wearing, (like pushing a snarl down with a comb) and try to tuck it under the braid or bun.

NatNat
July 10th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I used to get these bubbles a lot, until I dyed my hair recently, strange. But like everyone said above, a boar bristle brush will be your best friend when it comes to weird hair bumps.

swords & roses
July 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I've tried the BBBs. No luck for me. :/ Sure, it'll smooth things out while I'm still holding onto my hair, but by the time I'm done putting it into a hair tie or a bun, the bubbles are back! Seems to be worse the higher on my head I try to gather my hair.

Nadine <3
July 10th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Half the time I just leave them and pretend I meant to do it that way...lol

If i don't want them I find spritzing with a pit of water before I put it up helps.

Larki
July 10th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I just ignore them, so I'm no help. ;)

swords & roses
July 10th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hehe, I usually ignore them too. ;) But I trimmed up my hair this morning using a pony tail method, and I was worried the bubbles would make for an uneven cut!

I'll give the water trick a try!

Bonny
July 10th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Do you mean on the back of your head underneath the ponytail? I find that if I keep my chin up while making the ponytail (i.e. look up!), I don't get that bubble of looser hair underneath.

flemeister
July 10th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Do you mean on the back of your head underneath the ponytail? I find that if I keep my chin up while making the ponytail (i.e. look up!), I don't get that bubble of looser hair underneath.
Gravity! The omnipresent hair care assistant. :)

Boar bristle brush works for me, as well as tugging on the ponytail a little tighter than usual when putting on the elastic. Always turns out sleek with no bumps.

Ambystoma
July 11th, 2014, 01:44 AM
I use a BBB or if all else fails just take it down and try again, but seriously:

worbly
This word is fantastic, love it :laugh:

Timea
July 11th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I've tried the BBBs. No luck for me. :/ Sure, it'll smooth things out while I'm still holding onto my hair, but by the time I'm done putting it into a hair tie or a bun, the bubbles are back! Seems to be worse the higher on my head I try to gather my hair.

use the BBB after putting the hair in the tie or bun. you're just smoothing the top with it, not really brushing your hair.

swords & roses
July 11th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Yep, that's exactly what I mean! I haven't tried the chin up trick. We'll see how that goes today! Thanks!

swords & roses
July 11th, 2014, 06:09 AM
This word is fantastic, love it :laugh:

*giggle* Glad you like it! My brain is full of fantabulously fun words! ;)

Anje
July 11th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I used to get bubbles a lot when I was younger (top of the head, too!) -- I'm convinced that some of it has gone away because my follicles are so used to my hair going backward into an updo that they no longer fight it. But I know that when I put it I up, I tend to comb it backward, lean back and look up, and grab the hair while gravity is helping. The bottom eventually sags and bubbles, but that's easier to put up with.

Johannah
July 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I got this problem as well! I try to ignore it as well ;)