PDA

View Full Version : To layer or not to layer...that is the question!

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hello all! My last cut in April was a shoulder length aline cut and I am since growing out my hair. I am a wavy (2b) and the back of my hair looks mainly one length:
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/haleyemily06/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/79105B32-5310-4FAC-88CE-2474CF58B8A6_zpsgle4gu7t.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/haleyemily06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/79105B32-5310-4FAC-88CE-2474CF58B8A6_zpsgle4gu7t.jpg.html)

I am seriously considering getting my hair heavily layered but keeping the length of course. What do you all think? Do you have layers? Do you love them or hate them! Show me your pictures of your layered hair so I can get inspiration!

I am also thinking about adding a side swept bang!

Let me me know your opinions, thoughts and experiences with layered hair. Thanks!!!

leilani
July 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I was just asking everyone that question a few weeks ago! Great answers: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123649&highlight=layers+layers

I decided on the compact cut and showed before/after pics, and a few others did as well in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123666&highlight=layers+layers

Johannah
July 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I guess there's only one way to find out if it's for your hair: trial and error.

I've got layers myself three years ago and I HATED them straight away. I've been growing them out since (I got rid of them last month).

StellaKatherine
July 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I had layers once... Hated right away and never returned to them :D

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Thankyou Lellani for those links!

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I actually did the compact cut before and I didn't notice any significant layering in the back...maybe I did it wrong or my length isn't long enough yet or something. I'm thinking of something a little mor dramatic, like layers in the back starting at ear. Has anyone had that short of layers?

LadyStrange
July 9th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Those are some pretty intense layers you're talking about. If you think they'd look good on you, go for it! I personally don't like layers on myself, but that's because my hair is fine and mostly straight so layers end up looking weird. However, I think layers on wavy hair can look super cute.
Personally, I'd cut in some layers and see how it looks and feels before committing to crazy layers. :)
And as someone with side-swept bangs that evolved from regular bangs, I'd say go for those because they can be made to work with just about any look, but be aware that they can get greasy from sitting on the forehead (especially in humid weather), so I'd invest in or make a good dry shampoo.

aztecangel
July 9th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I've actually been growing some of my layers out recently. They are nice, but they drastically reduce thickness and make it seem shorter than it is. Even though my hair was just as long when it had the layers, it looks way longer and thicker now that I've evened out the bottom two. So, it's up to you. If you want lighter hair, go for it. But expect a major loss of your hair.

Becs
July 9th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I personally disliked layers on myself and cut my hair to all one length as soon as my shortest layer was at collarbone. For me this made the growing process much easier. Also, I love braids and having layers makes them shred and it looks bad in my opinion. So if you prefer to wear buns and braids, layers might not be the best choice. However if you prefer to wear your hair down a lot, layers could be great for you. Maybe try just a few layers before getting it heavily layered just to see how you like it? Or just get bangs to start with? That is what I would do personally, as I prefer not to make too many changes at once, because once the change has been made there is not going back. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do :)

Undomiel
July 9th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I think layers look great on some people. My friend has pin straight red hair and it has nice volume (bouncy) with the layers. She always wears her hair down so it doesn't matter to her about the braid shred (little hairs poking out of it at the layers). Side swept bangs are really pretty too and flattering on most face types I believe. I grew mine out though because I got sick of them falling in my face.

leilani
July 9th, 2014, 01:30 PM
If you do the compact cut on the top of your head, you will definitely notice layers in the back. Even compact cut all the way to the front forehead hairline, you should see pretty short layers in the back. Take a look at this pictorial http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/
and this one:
http://beautifullifeofjoy.blogspot.fi/2012/07/easy-five-minute-layered-haircut.html

queenovnight
July 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Eh, I'm not fond of layers. While you can keep the length, IMO layered hair always looks shorter than it really is. I guess the only real issue with layers (especially heavy) is what if you do end up regretting them? Layers don't just take a few months to grow out, they can take years depending on the cut. - I hated my layers when I had them.

But hey! It's like Johannah said. Trial and error.

Hrtchoco
July 9th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I think either way will look really good(as long as you are not getting a razor cut)!

Emelyn
July 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I had heavy layers and I hated them! I have a few inches of layers left in my hair and I'm trying to cut them out. My hair is quite different to yours though. If you feel like it's something you would love to try, then go for it!

Sparklylady82
July 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Eh, I'm not fond of layers. While you can keep the length, IMO layered hair always looks shorter than it really is. I guess the only real issue with layers (especially heavy) is what if you do end up regretting them? Layers don't just take a few months to grow out, they can take years depending on the cut. - I hated my layers when I had them.

But hey! It's like Johannah said. Trial and error.
This is what I am afraid of! Regret! I do have damage that I'll be needing to trim off anyway so that's part of the reason I'm considering heavy layers. I really want to be at BSL though...maybe I'll wait till then and then see if I still want the layers. Thanks all to all of your opinions! If anyone has pictures is still like to see more and live vicariously through your layered hairs haha!

woodswanderer
July 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I think if you do layers you shouldn't do heavy layers. It seems like heavy layers would seriously limit your hairstyle options.

Sparklylady82
July 10th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I think I just gonna bite the bullet and wait to do any major changes until after I hit my first length goal! I think it's better to not do anything at all than do it and regret. I was just looking at old pictures and seeing my long waist length hair (not current-chopped damaged hair) is a reminder that I want to keep every bit of hair at this point...

Crystawni
July 10th, 2014, 12:53 AM
The bottom few inches of my hair is layered (see sig. pic, or I've also posted in the 2014 Monthly Length Photo Project thread). It takes away the triangle and a bit of weight for me, and gives me "doll" hair (well, like a few dolls I had as a kid). It's not drastic, either. I cut it (back in April) by upturning my head, grabbing the hair til it's straight across, and snipping (kind of like the compact cut, but I've been cutting mine and others' hair since I was 15, so've never used a hair tie for it). Different angles will get different results, too.

hairpleasegrow
July 10th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Your hair is beautiful just the way it is. My vote is not to layer!

HintOfMint
July 10th, 2014, 01:01 AM
I strongly recommend layers for most hairtypes, but especially for wavy, thick hair that is shorter than BSL. They helped make my hair look more "done" with minimal styling as it grew out.

Sparklylady82
July 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Your hair is beautiful just the way it is. My vote is not to layer!

Thank you for the sweet remark :-)

Sparklylady82
July 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I strongly recommend layers for most hairtypes, but especially for wavy, thick hair that is shorter than BSL. They helped make my hair look more "done" with minimal styling as it grew out.

Interesting, I think you are right because I have face framing layers and it looks like it has some style but then I feel like I have a flat back becasue there are no layers there...haha!