PDA

View Full Version : Summer... Damage?

Brattina88
July 9th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I run a summer camp program, so I am out in the sun everyday :) and loving it! I wear I hat quite often. We also swim almost everyday - I wet, oil my hair, and braid my hair before going in. I wash with swimmers shampoo and condition like crazy when I get out. I feel like that and the LOC method are saving my hair :p my hair typically grows faster in the summer, I let it air dry before putting it up (bun usually, but sometimes braid) for our walk back. I'm doing a personal Where Your hair Up For 3 Months challenge for summer, but I do leave it down to air dry. My hair doesn't like being put up wet, much.
Also, I did a little micro trim about 2 weeks ago because I want my ends to stay nice. My bangs are probably due for a trim.

Every girl in my camp is having the same "problem" - what I assume are sun bleached ends. I don't mind the color change much (for now anyway ) but I worry about damage. I've been accused of ombré-ing my hair :eyebrows: LOL. Two of my blondes are equally bleached out, they're both APL or longer. My co-teacher is a bottle blonde, and her whole head is bleach blonde / almost white and she just hit shoulder length. One of my girls with dark hair dark brown almost black, now has brown ends.

I S&D pretty often, I look at them all the time lol, and I usually don't have more than 2-3 splits a session. So I wonder is it actual damage? Or just color change... But can color change like this occur without damage? Lol

Should I be really concerned? Is there anything else I should be doing? Does it look really bad? :(

the lighting is probably bad and doesn't show it much, but it's almost blonde all the way across the bottom
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/A2091FDE-80FB-46D6-8DD5-AD8B99A821BE_zps3aep7pb5.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A2091FDE-80FB-46D6-8DD5-AD8B99A821BE_zps3aep7pb5.jpg.html)

See what I mean? It looks much more drastic in the sunlight
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/407F4E23-0ADA-49C8-8CF9-C99452901E91_zpsjlvbwuid.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/407F4E23-0ADA-49C8-8CF9-C99452901E91_zpsjlvbwuid.jpg.html)

You can see the color difference in my buns vs. the rest of the head?
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/EAD1E4A6-B5E6-408E-93F4-ED2A6C21CAEA_zpsvcrkacge.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/EAD1E4A6-B5E6-408E-93F4-ED2A6C21CAEA_zpsvcrkacge.jpg.html)

CurlMonster
July 9th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I think it looks nice! :) Plenty of people pay big $$ to get that look.
If you are really bothered by it though, keeping it out of the sun as much as possible would help (bunning so the ends aren't exposed, wearing a hat or head scarf) and I have heard coconut oil can act as a natural sunscreen, so perhaps applying that to your hair would protect it a little. Bleaching whether it is via sun or dye is always damaging, so if you are worried about minimising damage to your hair, you will want to reduce this bleaching effect.

Nesoi
July 9th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Honestly I really love it when hair gets natural highlights from the sun - and your locks look gorgeous! So long as you keep it moisturised and it doesn't feel damaged, just enjoy your natural high and lowlights! Sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping it healthy :)

meteor
July 9th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Sun-bleaching is pretty inevitable (even with "hair sunscreen" products with UV filters - they only protect chemical hair dye). So I recommend using some penetrating oils (coconut works great) on exposed ends and covering hair with hats/scarves if you are out in the sun a lot.

NatNat
July 9th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I think it looks beautiful and soft!

Brattina88
July 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Yaaay thanks for all of the super nice compliments! :flower: you guys are the best. I do like it! I feel like it's a nice sun-kissed look that'd I'd go to a salon and get if it wasn't so damaging lol

I'll have to use coconut oil more - I had a spray bottle I kept in my swim bag. Since it's warm out it stays in a more liquid form and sprays nicely. I ran out so I'll be sure to refill! Thanks for reminding me! :) lol

Yea, I've always guessed hair sunscreen was kind of a gimmick :p never really looked into it, though. Thanks for all of your replies :)

Mainesongbird
July 10th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I love the free highlights! My ends are lighter, and the under side of my hair is lighter and I have two significantly lighter streaks near my face. I usually trim some at the end of the summer, but I don't see that much damage! Your hair looks great! Love the color contrast in the bun!

lapushka
July 10th, 2014, 07:02 AM
If your ends aren't too too dry, then I'd not worry about it that much. Maybe up your products a little more when doing LOC?

Normally, your ends are *always* lighter than the hair at your scalp. It's unlike dyed hair, which is uniform all over (that's how you often notice dyed vs virgin hair). Maybe in your case it's a little more pronounced but I wouldn't exactly start calling it "damage".

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Sun lightening IS damage, IIRC 200 hours exposure is equivalent to chemically bleaching the hair. UV light destroys the melanin pigment blowing holes in the cortex and destroys the cuticle's protective f-layer (18-MEA). Having said that on longer/ older hair the f-layer is likely long gone anyway, since daily wear and tear (grooming, washing etc.) degrades it. I think the colour gradient looks pretty but if you want to avoid it use a UV Buff or similar.

lapushka
July 20th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Sun lightening IS damage, IIRC 200 hours exposure is equivalent to chemically bleaching the hair. UV light destroys the melanin pigment blowing holes in the cortex and destroys the cuticle's protective f-layer (18-MEA). Having said that on longer/ older hair the f-layer is likely long gone anyway, since daily wear and tear (grooming, washing etc.) degrades it. I think the colour gradient looks pretty but if you want to avoid it use a UV Buff or similar.

Yes, but who typically gets 200 hours of sun exposure during 12 weeks of summer?

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Well, I think that it is the sun exposure over the life of the hair ends, which may be three years or more.

Brattina88
July 20th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Good information - that's why I love this place. Thank you. As for the 200 hours - I'm probably darn close to that by the end of the summer. If not, over. Wow! Which would explain why it's happening to the girls in my program also, right? Does chlorine have bleaching qualities too? I have a blonde in my class who's mom won't let her bring shampoo/condish :( her hair is practically white on the tips now. They don't mind, though. I just notice because I'm obsessed with hair right now :p

I try to bun and hat as much as possible but I love the sun and sometimes the hats make me sweat so bad lol. I love what I do, but this last week I took a hard fall on cement and youch - I forget I'm not as young as the kids, I think :p LOL

Well, I think that it is the sun exposure over the life of the hair ends, which may be three years or more.
Well for me personally this is my 3rd year doing this summer program. So I think you're right on, there! The first year I didn't so anything with my hair (even rinsing it) but I've had a lot of trims since then, too.

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2014, 08:15 AM
My ends look similarly light. I'm trying to minimize sun exposure, because ends are getting dry and tangly, and I want to grow to longer lengths. Im trying to wear a buff or bandana when in direct sun because the hair that is at my scalp now will my ends someday (several years!)

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Yes, but who typically gets 200 hours of sun exposure during 12 weeks of summer?

If you get 150 hours the damage might be, say, a third to half that of a chemical bleaching. And as someone else has noted longhairs have more than one summer to contend with. I need to take my own advice and purchase a couple of Buffs: my hairline (pink-red, but peroxide lightened from mouse underneath) has already faded to peachy-blonde twice this year. :o I suspect sweat is contributing.

lapushka
July 20th, 2014, 10:11 AM
And as someone else has noted longhairs have more than one summer to contend with.

Oh, yes, that's true, forgot about that! :o

TrapperCreekD
July 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM
I think it's gorgeous! I'm definitely over the 200 hour mark for a summer and my hair hasn't gotten anywhere near that light, even the natural highlights...

I'm having a brain fart at the moment, could someone explain the "more than one summer"? :confused:

lapushka
July 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
I'm having a brain fart at the moment, could someone explain the "more than one summer"? :confused:

Long hair is on the head for more than one summer, the lengths will have undergone many many summers, and thus get lighter each time.

ErinLeigh
July 22nd, 2014, 04:08 AM

Very informative. Thanks for posting this. Whether one is in the sun 200 hours of 100 hours it still answers the question that yes it is damage that accumulates.

OP the color looks awesome :) I like that the color change was from happy living :) Makes it all the more special.

Gertrude
July 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
I do have fragile hair so it weathers and damages a lot just from life. I was very white blonde as a child, now a medium golden blonde. I used to love the free highlights. By going out with my hair soaking wet as a teenager and sitting in the sun I got great highlighting. It's how the farmer makes straw. Yes. Breakage.

Also once I lighten my hair, or rather the sun fades, it keeps on losing colour and goes downhill. I wear my hair up under a hat in straight sunlight now and it's the best it's been for many years. Keep the colour in.

But the highlights were nice to begin with. I thought so. One woman told me that I could get much subtler highlights done in the salon she went to rather than the bleach job I had. Lots of people think that if your ends are a lot lighter that you're a bottle blonde. Because " real blonde hair" is one colour. That really made me smile.