PDA

View Full Version : Need hair help! Hair is greasy, waxy coating and unmanagable! Cant even brush through

stephy190
July 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
So I used a shampoo bar as I wanted to move to more natural methods and my hair was a greasy waxy mess so I washed my hair again the next day with a normal shampoo and still was greasy and a mess! And then washed it a third time.. Is a bit better but still has waxiness on it! And still can't comb through! What can I do? Will this go away ?

woodswanderer
July 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I would use a clarifying shampoo and then condition well. Works for a lot of situations.

LittlePrincess
July 8th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I had this a while ago when I decided to try a shampoo bar to combat my dryness problems. The second I put lathered it through my hair it was like it was coated and yuck! I was really surprised because I'd heard of this happening when the water is hard but I'm pretty sure I don't have hard water. To be honest it took a good few washes to get rid of the wierd waxy squeakyness and it's still not completely back to normal, but this may be made worse by my hair having some other breakage problems at the moment.

I agree with woodswanderer, use a clarifying shampoo or a bit of bicarbonate of soda in your normal shampoo. Then keep washing it as normal and wait for it to work it's way out. Don't try the clarifying too often or it'll dry you hair out and make the ends split (that's what I did, my hairdresser told me to and I stupidly did)

renia22
July 8th, 2014, 10:30 AM
This happened to me a few months ago with shea butter & nothing was helping. Then I remember this thread a while back & followed the advice & it helped. If you jump to page 2, a poster wrote in with instructions on how to use olive oil to remove waxy build up. Good luck!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110280&highlight=Waxy+build

molljo
July 8th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Seconding the clarifying shampoo. You may have to let the suds sit in your hair for a few minutes before rinsing. Waxy buildup from shampoo bars probably means the water where you live is hard (lots of minerals and/or metals in the water), so going forward you'll want to avoid 'poo bars and soap-based shampoos or you'll just get yourself into this mess again.

stephy190
July 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I had this a while ago when I decided to try a shampoo bar to combat my dryness problems. The second I put lathered it through my hair it was like it was coated and yuck! I was really surprised because I'd heard of this happening when the water is hard but I'm pretty sure I don't have hard water. To be honest it took a good few washes to get rid of the wierd waxy squeakyness and it's still not completely back to normal, but this may be made worse by my hair having some other breakage problems at the moment.

I agree with woodswanderer, use a clarifying shampoo or a bit of bicarbonate of soda in your normal shampoo. Then keep washing it as normal and wait for it to work it's way out. Don't try the clarifying too often or it'll dry you hair out and make the ends split (that's what I did, my hairdresser told me to and I stupidly did)

Yeah its really awful isnt it! Ive thrown it up in a bun for now as u dont want to just keep washing it! I thought if it didnt clean my hair then nobig deal I can just use my nnormal shampoo again.. didnt think for a second it would leave a wax coating thats impossible to get out :(( thanks for the tips ill try clarifying this week sometime! Praying my hair will go back to normal soon lol

ExpectoPatronum
July 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM
For a shampoo bar, it's necessary to use an acidic rinse if you have hard water. Dilute some ACV in water and dump it in your hair after rinsing the shampoo bar out. That should remove the waxiness.

stephy190
July 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Also does anyone know if it would be damaging to leave this waxy stuff in my hair? Just ordered a clarifying shampoo and it wont be here til thursday! Dont really want to wash my hair again tomorrow before it comes x

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2014, 11:47 AM
My hair did that every time I tried shampoo bars. You absolutely have to do an acidic rinse after using a shampoo bar. Get some ACV or even White vinegar. Dilute it (I used a 1:4 ratio (1 part ACV, 3 parts water). Work that through your hair and rinse.

After rinsing with ACV, your hair should be feeling better. You can clarify if you like, just make sure to moisturize well afterwards!

renia22
July 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Ooops, I forgot to add the link to the thread I was referring to, I just edited my above post to include it ^

Anje
July 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Did you rinse with dilute vinegar? That's essential for just about all shampoo bar users with hard-ish water. Otherwise, it's all waxy.

stephy190
July 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Did you rinse with dilute vinegar? That's essential for just about all shampoo bar users with hard-ish water. Otherwise, it's all waxy.

Nope I had no idea! lol oops. :rolleyes: guess its too late to rinse it now ? Just ordered the clarifying shampoo I want and hopefully that'll take it away! Think Im saying goodbye to shampoo bars permanently now lol

stephy190
July 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
This happened to me a few months ago with shea butter & nothing was helping. Then I remember this thread a while back & followed the advice & it helped. If you jump to page 2, a poster wrote in with instructions on how to use olive oil to remove waxy build up. Good luck!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110280&highlight=Waxy+build

Thank you! Ill check out this thread ! hope something will help soon :)

two_wheels
July 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I had this with shampoo bars and ACV didn't help (though I see it does help some people, so you should absolutely try it!)

My solution: I quit the shampoo bars, started using a fairly strong shampoo (pantene ice shine) with lots of conditioner. Oiling overnight with coconut oil before the shampoo. It was gone within a week.

I think it will sort itself out for you! I would also suggest detangling only in the shower, with a wide tooth comb or your fingers, when your hair is soaked in conditioner. No brushing/combing after that if it feels waxy. That should mean less damage. Good luck.

Anje
July 8th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Nope I had no idea! lol oops. :rolleyes: guess its too late to rinse it now ? Just ordered the clarifying shampoo I want and hopefully that'll take it away! Think Im saying goodbye to shampoo bars permanently now lol

Nah, go ahead and rinse it now. I'd make it fairly strong (maybe 25% vinegar), just to make sure you get everything. Easy thing to try, right?

meteor
July 8th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Whenever I really need to clarify waxy buildup, I do a very heavy oil pre-poo (usually with coconut oil but any penetrating oil mix works well). I let it sit for a few hours (preferably with a plastic cap on for half an hour or more) and then clarify. I think oils bind to build-up better and then it's easier to wash it all off with shampoo.
The principle is similar to two-phase skin cleansing (OCM + cleanser) and provides a more thorough cleanse.

browneyedsusan
July 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but have clarified with dish soap once or twice. You have to use the soap that goes in the sink, not the kind for the dishwashing machine. It works pretty good for product build-up, but won't remove minerals from hard water. Condition really well after. It strips the bejabbers out of your hair!

spidermom
July 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM
No, the waxy buildup isn't damaging your hair.

Yes, go ahead and do the acidic rinse when you can.

I agree with oiling your hair before the next wash. However, conditioner removes oil better than shampoo, so I would massage conditioner through your dry, oiled hair before you wash, let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then wet your hair, massage the conditioner into a light foaminess, then rinse well. You can follow that with shampooing or you can check your hair and see if that cleaned it.

mary*rose
July 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
conditioner removes oil better than shampoo, so I would massage conditioner through your dry, oiled hair before you wash, let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then wet your hair, massage the conditioner into a light foaminess, then rinse well. You can follow that with shampooing or you can check your hair and see if that cleaned it.

Huh...would this method also help oily hair in general?

Anje
July 9th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Huh...would this method also help oily hair in general?
It might. Some people have scalps that react to harsh shampoos by putting out more oil. (Some people have scalps that put out a pretty fixed amount of oil and nothing can convince them to change. Hard to know which you are without experimentation.) If you're in that category, the conditioner-only (CO) washing technique that Spidermom described might really help you not only remove the oil but cut down on its production.

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Traditional soaps found in shampoo bars are made in a kitchen or factory by chemical reaction, alkaline soap does not exist in nature. If you want truly natural try soap nuts or soapwort extract.