PDA

View Full Version : Blake Lively uses Coconut Oil, Sea Water, No Heat

MeowScat
July 7th, 2014, 03:23 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2679751/A-lister-Blake-Lively-reveals-low-maintenance-secrets-beach-waves.html

I wonder if she lurks here. :)

Tota
July 7th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Well her hair always was eye catching, and I never could make myself believe it's extensions. It would be kind of cool if she really did lurk here ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 7th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Meh.

I don't think her hair looks any different than other actresses/celebrities. It has highlights in it and in most of her pictures she obviously has professionally blow-dried hair. Her ends are also begging for mercy in that side braid picture. I don't think she's using LHC methods really, what she calls "coconut oil" is probably some high-end hair serum with coconut extracts in it :D

Surely she looks beautiful. Her hair looks beautiful, but not naturally so i believe.

sarahthegemini
July 7th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Personally I don't think her hair is particularly great tbh, I think it looks dull.

Ingrid
July 7th, 2014, 04:11 AM
All that salt water must be pretty drying for her hair :(

Valkyriejae
July 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Aside from the pictures where her hair is slicked down/professionally curl/waved (probably with a kilo of 'cones to make it smooth) it mostly just looks dry and frizzy. I'd be really interested to know what her natural texture is though...
On the other hand, she is a gorgeous lady and even the dry frizziness of her hair actually works for her, since it compliments her California surfer-girl look :)

GetMeToWaist
July 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I love her hair, I think it's gorgeous

spidermom
July 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM
The top picture linked looks really pretty.

MintChocChip
July 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I think her hair's gorgeous! A few split ends in that braid pic, but gorgeous nonetheless. ^^

Colourful
July 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Her hair is gorgeous!

RubyTuesday
July 7th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Great hair. Even better teeth :agape:

molljo
July 7th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I like how the article conveniently leaves out the fact that the "how to curl you hair" youtube video she's referencing involves the 12 year-old burning a huge lock of hair off.

I think her hair is pretty. It's not spectacular, but in her line of work, avoiding things that damage hair is next to impossible, especially since if she wants a job, someone else will be doing her hair, whether she likes what they're doing or not.

clioariane
July 8th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I love her hair when it's wavy and texturized. One of the shampoos I use (Big from Lush) contains sea salt & seawater and it really works to get more volume and texture.

Selkie-
July 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM
She is gorgeous and so is her hair. :D

inanna
July 8th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Every time I see Blake Lively somewhere, I immediately think of the fact that the blog Go Fug Yourself dubbed her "Boobs Legsly" some years back.

But I think her hair looks lovely, and I'm glad the tousled surfer curl look seems to be sticking around. I know it's still full of products and heat styled when stars do it on the red carpet, but for us mere mortals it means that being a bit frizzy on a windy day almost looks stylish. You know, just rocking the surfer curl and/or Parisian boho chic thing.

peachyleshy
July 9th, 2014, 02:18 PM
hmm... That sounds romantic and beachy. Or like a mermaid! It is likely she does that on her days off. But obviously she has stylists for events. I wish I had a stylist! I do envy her hair though. I think at some times it looks like she wears extensions however, like other celebrities.Which is fine as well!
I used not think she was very attractive, but I do now. And she kinda reminds me of my sister in law! :)

Sharysa
July 9th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Her hair looks okay. It's not particularly shiny or healthy-looking in her non-styled photos, but it looks like natural hair. I also don't care for that much frizz, but it's still a nice change from the typical styled-to-death hair most celebrities have.

Saltwater is really drying. I hope she doesn't do that too much, or her surfer frizz will become breakage pretty soon.

woodswanderer
July 9th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Last time I went to the ocean I wore my hair up and was a little nervous about the ocean spray splashing it. I can't imagine wanting to use salt water on a regular basis.

Wiggy Stardust
July 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM
That level of frizz needs little to no salt water for me. :( Good to know if I bleached it, I too can be a California girl.

höpönasu
July 10th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't trade my hair to hers. :p

Caldonia Sun
July 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Count me in with the folks who think her hair is beautiful.

ooglipoo
July 10th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Okay... wow. I am so out of touch I didn't really know who she is. I was thinking of Blake Shelton. Oooopppps. Wonder what he uses on his hair?

I was a beach girl growing up, and I have to say, some of my best hair days where when I got out of the water and didn't rinse or anything...

shutterpillar
July 10th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I don't know who she is either, but I think her hair looks nice. Maybe I have an untrained eye, but I don't think her hair is split to hell in the braid picture, but rather that the ends have been teased a little to give the illusion of a thicker tassel. But, I can't closely examine it so... :shrug:

I've found the ocean/tropical environment in general does wonders for my hair. During the weeks that I've visited the beach have been the times that my hair has looked the best it's ever looked in my life, but I think that has more to do with the climate rather than putting seawater in my hair.
That said, I am not opposed to that technique. I've done the saltwater spray thing before and it gave my natural wave a boost while leaving no ill effects to my hair. I do not do it on a regular basis, though.

martyna_22
July 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I also find her hair beautiful. It's doesn't make the impression that there's not a strand out of place, which looks quite natural, even though I know it's bleached... I'm not a purist when it comes to hair ;)

Carolyn
July 10th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I think she's gorgeous and her hair looks fantastic. I don't care if she colors or high lights it or uses heat as I do the same thing with almost no damage. I love that messy braid.

RubyTuesday
July 11th, 2014, 04:29 AM
it depends what kind of look you go for. I love beachy surfer girl wavy hair - that is my ideal, so Blake is a bit of a hair icon for me. I am sure she has to use loads of heat and product for work so she will inevitably get tatty ends but so what...

When I was a teenager I had very long hair and it was very curly. After swimming in the see, it looked amazing, I would get perfectly defined wavy ringlets. Some people spend hours trying to get that kind of hair! I could get it by a quick dip in the sea and I didn't even need to comb it through. Swim and go! Wish I lived in California :o

leilani
July 11th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Last time I went to the ocean I wore my hair up and was a little nervous about the ocean spray splashing it. I can't imagine wanting to use salt water on a regular basis.

That is such a depressing thought! I'd give anything to dip into the ocean right now and float for as long as possible..... ;)

MeowScat
July 14th, 2014, 10:47 AM
It's interesting to read everyone's responses. I read a lot of celeb gossip, so whenever I see something about their hair routine, I immediately want to share it with LHC.

The sea water thing surprised me a little.

Annibelle
July 14th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I think her hair looks pretty-- not super well-cared-for like a lot of the hair here, but pretty nonetheless. :) If I were blonde, I'd wear my hair like hers, but for some reason it just doesn't tend to look as nice on me. Frizz on me looks like I've been sweating under a hot car instead of surfing. :lol:

TrapperCreekD
July 16th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I am so out of touch I didn't really know who she is. I was thinking of Blake Shelton. Oooopppps. Wonder what he uses on his hair?

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

I'd love to know what he used to keep those curls so well behaved back in the day...

vindo
July 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM
A little surprised at the critics here. I think her hair looks quite healthy! :confused:
She likes to wear it messy and "beachy", but messy doesn't mean damaged in my book.

I wouldn't put the "standard" for beautiful hair so high that only super shiny and super silky counts as beautiful. I think that would hurt many also because it just isn't realistic and too critical.

With highlighting and sea salt spray her hair may not be the most moisturized, but I think it is resilient and does pretty well with it. Some just have very sturdy hair. :o

I personally love this picture:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/30/article-2675248-1DE082D700000578-38_634x496.jpg

Beautiful woman and hair imo. :)

sarahthegemini
July 17th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I think her hair's gorgeous! A few split ends in that braid pic, but gorgeous nonetheless. ^^

How on earth are you seeing split ends from a picture?