PDA

View Full Version : Braids

ItalianFlower
September 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I'm sure you all know the style of hair where there are twenty or thirty itty bitty braids all over. My hair isn't growing exceptionally fast and I'd kind of like to just hide behind a new style--a.k.a., a bunch of braids. I'm wondering how bad of an idea that might be to do for a month or so. What kind damage can I expect from it? Should I not even bother? Anything I should know?

Amara
September 19th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I did 15 braids one time (big difference between that and doing 40, or having them professionally done), but I liked it! It was so low maintenance, I can definitely see how it would help you forget about your hair for a while. Just thought I'd throw that out there! :)

Shanarana
September 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I thought I read in another thread somewhere about someone having braids in there hair for a long time and ended up with them matted at the scalp. I could be wrong. Don't remember where I read it.

Found the thread I was reading.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10324&highlight=matted+braids

Anje
September 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Let's see....

Make sure you have a satin/silk pillow or scarf or sleep bonnet to put it in at night to slow down the fuzzing out process. If you must wash, dilute things and rinse for a long, long time. Put oil on the ends, and don't tie the braids with anything that'll break your hair (I've gotten a lot of end breakage from the ties on little braids).

Be prepared that all your shed hair will stay in the braids, so you'll have quite a lot of apparent hair loss when you take them out. Don't worry about it too much, unless the braids start out too tight.

If the braids get really fuzzy, take them out and re-do them. Leaving them may cause it to mat.

Tapioca
September 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It may be better to take them out, detangle and wash, then put them back in every week or so to help avoid the matting.