PDA

View Full Version : Tips for growing hair longer and faster?

CostaRita
July 6th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hi all! My hair is currently this length:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56397417@N02/

And I would like to get it here:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/29700000/Rose-rose-dewitt-bukater-29792090-720-484.jpg

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31600000/rose-rose-dawson-31677709-500-581.png

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/21900000/Rose-titanic-rose-dewitt-bukater-21955269-261-400.jpg

I know that it might take a year or so, but do you have any tips for me to get there? Is there a way to speed it up?

Quasiquixotic
July 6th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Not to be glib, but what I've gotten from this forum is this:

Be healthy - eat smart, exorcise, drink water

Don't cut your hair.

That's it.

Good luck :)

CostaRita
July 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Don't cut your hair.

That's it.

Ok! But not even trims?

ETA: From the back:
http://i49.tinypic.com/10hq5pv.jpg

Another from the side:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qZ8VbOj9qyo/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAA9U/47R1BdgvQhM/photo.jpg

slynr
July 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Trim as needed. Only you know the condition of your ends and how long you can get away with in between. If the ends start to have a lot of splits and such then you may have to trim. Will just have to monitor and adjust as needed. Trimming certainly won't make it grow faster but may help maintain length by keeping it from breaking.

LauraLongLocks
July 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Trims are not strictly necessary. Personally, I opt for a trim if my hair is uneven or damaged. Otherwise, I let it grow.

If you want to try some growth rate experiments, there is a thread somewhere on this forum for that.

People have tried

castor oil
msm
biotin
peppermint
caffeine rinses
monistat
gelatin
fish oil
silica
collagen
prenatal vitamins
inversion method
greenhouse effect
eating more protein
eating peanut butter

and many more I am sure.

So, you can give it a try, but there's no telling what may or may not work for you.

Adiro
July 6th, 2014, 06:18 PM
keep the hair up,and it will protect the ends from breaking much.
I heared that silica helps,but I never tried.

Also essential oils, a certain mixture of rosemary, thyme, chedarwood and lavender apparently help a lot ( see http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/09/4-benefits-of-essential-oils-for-natural-hair/

meliel
July 6th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I've been trying to find this on other threads but am having a hard time... Exactly how can I keep my hair up while I sleep without damaging it? Braids seem to break my hair, and even though caterpillar braids are better, I still find that my hair is in the way while I'm sleeping. I tried making a bun and pinning it with bobby pins but I think that also breaks some of my hairs... What else can I do? I'm looking for any styles that I can try at all to reduce breakage, and exactly how to do them.

LauraLongLocks
July 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I've been trying to find this on other threads but am having a hard time... Exactly how can I keep my hair up while I sleep without damaging it? Braids seem to break my hair, and even though caterpillar braids are better, I still find that my hair is in the way while I'm sleeping. I tried making a bun and pinning it with bobby pins but I think that also breaks some of my hairs... What else can I do? I'm looking for any styles that I can try at all to reduce breakage, and exactly how to do them.
Stuff it into a sleep cap.

cathair
July 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Don't cut your hair.

That's it.

:rolling: this cracked me up, but it's true :)

Have you tried braiding it without tying it off? I have found I don't need to tie a sleep braid it stays together anyway and I am a restless sleeper. Not tying it reduces breakage for me. Or a sleep cap is even better.

meliel
July 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I guess I'll have to invest in a sleep cap, then... I read a bit about sleep caps before but wasn't really convinced.Thanks for the tip!

ZoSo
July 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Exactly how can I keep my hair up while I sleep without damaging it? I'm looking for any styles that I can try at all to reduce breakage, and exactly how to do them.

I think it's called the pineapple method. I need to try it as I rock in my sleep. I need to try a sleep cap also.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Benign neglect is good too. You don't worry about measuring your hair and you wear it up. I use it along with my own growth regimen. I love it when you choose an up do make sure your ends are tucked into your do to protect them. The rest of it you will have to chose and decide if it works for you.

CurlMonster
July 6th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I feel like this is a hard question to answer because it is pretty much the purpose of the whole forum. Maybe having a look around will help you to narrow down your questions so that we can help you more :)

CostaRita
July 6th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Ooh are sleeping caps expensive?

LauraLongLocks
July 6th, 2014, 09:40 PM
My sleeping caps were purchased at walmart for less than $2.

Islandgrrl
July 6th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I second the benign neglect thing: what that really means is putting it up and pretty much ignoring it.

Evaluate your hair care routine, minimize the number and type of products you use and go for the gentlest stuff you can find that works for you. Try to stretch washes if you can.

Ditch heat styling.

Trim the least amount necessary only when necessary.

Excellent nutrition, lots of water.

Most supplements are unnecessary (heresy, I know) if your diet contains enough nutrients.

Beware mechanical damage from unthought of sources...braid worn down = potential friction on clothing, chairs, etc. use a satin or silk pillowcase or wear a sleep cap to prevent tangles/mechanical damage while sleeping.

Detangle gently using the method of your choice. I prefer my fingers and a tangle teezer on dry hair.

There's no magic to this. Patience and care will get you there. I personally think its better to enjoy the hair you have at this moment in time than it is to obsess over the hair you want in the future.

sarahthegemini
July 7th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Try a bun overnight secured with spin pins instead of bobby pins.

Johannah
July 7th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Find out what your hair likes and what it doesn't, and stick with it. Treat your hair as lace. Have patience.

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2014, 05:53 AM
I second the benign neglect thing: what that really means is putting it up and pretty much ignoring it.

Evaluate your hair care routine, minimize the number and type of products you use and go for the gentlest stuff you can find that works for you. Try to stretch washes if you can.

Ditch heat styling.

Trim the least amount necessary only when necessary.

Excellent nutrition, lots of water.

Most supplements are unnecessary (heresy, I know) if your diet contains enough nutrients.

Beware mechanical damage from unthought of sources...braid worn down = potential friction on clothing, chairs, etc. use a satin or silk pillowcase or wear a sleep cap to prevent tangles/mechanical damage while sleeping.

Detangle gently using the method of your choice. I prefer my fingers and a tangle teezer on dry hair.

There's no magic to this. Patience and care will get you there. I personally think its better to enjoy the hair you have at this moment in time than it is to obsess over the hair you want in the future.

Very well put.

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Ooh are sleeping caps expensive?

You can get them at dollar general they are the stay on sleep caps they're wonderful. I gave more then $2.00 for mine but they're great. Walgreen has a discount card try there. I got a few of mine there too.

Remi
July 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I do want to add that taking care of your hair as if it were fine antique lace, taking care of it on the outside as well as the inside. Very gentle handling, only use a smooth wide tooth comb, always detangle with finglers first then smooth with wide tooth comb. Never try to detangle with a brush, they are only for styling and smoothing. Do not pull hair too tight when putting in a bun or a braid because it will cause hairs to fallout. Always put it up in a style that will protect the ends, and keep it off your shoulders and back. For sleeping it can be trial and error because some people use a high bun, some use one or two braids, some use a silk sleep cap. If you choose to get a sleep cap, be sure to get silk, not satin. Silk is a natural fiber and will allow air to circulate on your hair and scalp. Satin is synthetic and does not breathe. Some people use silk pillowcase because the cap just bugs them. I found a silk scarf on ebay and it did not work for me when I tried to tie it like a scarf so I sewed two sides together and made a cover for my pillow. I sleep with a braid to avoid tangles. (maybe you could Google sleep hair styles to get some ideas)
Hair grows from the inside, so try your best to eat high quality protein as well as other foods. With food being what it is today, there is a lack of nutrients in it as compared to 10 or 20 years ago, so there is nothing wrong with taking a good multivitamin/ multimineral suppliment. Don't go overboard and take bucket loads with the thought it will make your hair grow faster! Try to find an oil to apply to your length to keep it moisturized while up in a bun/braid style. Try going to this thread and see if it helps. There are threads on straight hair and curly hair styles and hair care videos- even some people here on LHC have made videos, some are good and some are not so helpful, but it's up to your perspective. Relax and know it will grow longer! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120052

CostaRita
July 7th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

catamonica
August 1st, 2014, 06:40 PM
It doesn't help everyone, but I used Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. Put two capfuls of olive oil in the shampoo. Possible growth help. It took 10 months to get to waist. Now it's two inches above tailbone. It helped to wear it up, and never cut it. Hope it helps. The shampoo is at wall mart. pet section Or certain grocery stores.

Shibe
August 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
I find bunning my hair at night and using castor oil treatments a few times a week has really helped.

My hair is really fine so the ends just get shredded if I do braiding. Thanks to the advice of a few members to tuck the ends, my hair looks so much better in just a few weeks!

Shibe
August 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
It doesn't help everyone, but I used Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. Put two capfuls of olive oil in the shampoo. Possible growth help. It took 10 months to get to waist. Now it's two inches above tailbone. It helped to wear it up, and never cut it. Hope it helps. The shampoo is at wall mart. pet section Or certain grocery stores.

I use 'horsey tail' too! The smell is amazing, and my hair loves it!

GetMeToWaist
August 2nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
To protect your hair and retain length:

Oil treatments
Sleeping with hair contained
No heat
Boar bristle brushes
Lots of conditioner
No sulfates
Leave in conditioner
Detangler
Don't wash hair everyday
Spin pins for buns
Bobby pins
Braids and buns most days
Hairsticks
Hair forks
Gelatin treatment
Mallow treatment
Mineral oil
Shea butter for a leave in

For growth:

Inversion method
Olive oil scalp massages
Everyday scalp massages
Herbal rinses
Coffee rinses
Pepper or chilli rinse on scalp
Warm water, not hot
Good diet
Lots of water
Minimal trimming (or no trimming)

spidermom
August 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
A lot of nights, I just pull my hair to go over the top of my pillow to keep off it at night. It works pretty well as long as I'm not having an extremely tossy-turny night.

Madora
August 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Hair grows only as fast as nature allows..generally speaking 6 inches a year. Some people grow slower/faster.

To help encourage hair health and growth:

1) Daily scalp massage with your fingerpads in the head down position. Be sure to detangle before/after each session. Massaging helps stimulate your hair follicles

2) Proper diet and water intake

3) Moderate exercise

4) Handling your hair extra carefully..because your hair is curly. Curly hair requires more delicate care because of its structure.

5) Wear it up to protect it and limit the tangling possibilities

6) Only wash it when it needs it! Unless you have an oily scalp or work in a dusty/dirty environment..or exercise strenuously, you should be able to shampoo once a week. If you can stretch your washes, even better for your hair

7) Try to limit what you put on your hair. Everything that goes on your hair will attract particles from the air...and those particles can multiply over time, leaving your hair dull and limp.

8) S and D as needed. A trim every 4 months if needed

9) Don't obsess about growth. While growing, learn new styles.

10) To protect your hair at night, wear it in a loose braid and tie the end of the braid with ribbon..or leave the end free. Or put your hair in a silk sleeping cap.

11) Go easy on the vitamin supplements. Don't overdo it!

12) Protect your hair out in the sun. Wear a white scarf/hat!

13) Keep your hair tools clean!

14) Benign neglect is a GOOD practice! Good luck and happy growing!

StellaKatherine
August 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I will be honest. Before joining LHC I did once almost got to classic length. I did not do a single oil treatment, a single extra hair routine. Use only normal conditioner and normal shampoo. What I didn't use even then is any sorts of heat tools! Air dry my hair only and no curling or straightening with the heating tools. Keep my hair braided and in a bun. That is it. Everything else is actually extra. That how I think of this. The hair will eventually grow if it is genetically possible :)

Ps. Right now I am doing all sorts of hair masks and oiling. Going to try tea rinses and aroma therapy oils. But those are actually fun doing, I enjoy it and my hair love them and feels better. But for the growth... I still don't think you need anything.... It will grow :)

Silverbrumby
August 3rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
My sleep cap never stayed on. A loose top works.

Basically I'm bunning, eating well, vitamins and not trimming. I think patience and no trims works along with good handling habits.

I just search and destroy splits.

battles
August 3rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
My tip is patience. A lot of it. ;)

Anything that sounds too good to be true almost always is. Just exercise, drink a lot of water, eat healthy and treat your hair well.

catamonica
August 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Shibe, has the horse shampoo helped your hair grow?