PDA

View Full Version : Long hair... Long nails?

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I've been growing my hair out from between shoulder and arm pit length for about five or six years now and it's just a little past my waist. My hair gets trimmed one or two inches between every six and nine months and it's gotten healthier since I've become more conscious of it's up keep.

Anyway I've heard that growing long hair can come with having really nice long nails (proteins and other vitamins that help with hair growth also help with nails)... So I guess what I'm asking is what do your nails look like relative to your hair?

My nails don't seem very healthy though they are approx. two centimetres long (from the cuticle), any thoughts?

HairFaerie
July 6th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I don't take vitamins or anything, but my nails grows really fast and they are quite strong. (Which can be a disadvantage when they break because if they break, it's usually way down on the bed. Ouch!) Right now they are pretty long. I wait until one of them breaks off, then I trim them all back.
So, I think hair and nail growth are related. If your hair grows fast, your nails usually do too. If your hair is strong and healthy, your nails usually are too.

Why do you say your nails are not healthy? Are they thin or brittle?

sourgrl
July 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM
My nails have always been soft and tear easily. They don't grow too far beyond the tip of my fingers before they bend/tear and my nail beds are fairly short to begin with. I've tried vitamins, special polish, you name it. Nothing works. My hair, on the other hand, grows like a weed and is pretty resilient. At least it was when I used heat on it every day. I haven't used heat in a year. I don't do anything special to it and it feels great, looks shiney, and doesn't really have any splits that I can see.

tigereye
July 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
My nails don't grow very long. They get bendy and break. Probably partly to do with spending so much of my time in latex gloves or water, but what's a science student to do? Islso have a dry scalp and skin in general so that and all the water means my cuticles tend to get dry and crack.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks you three :) my hair grows fairly fast I think and is strong but each hair is thin so if I'm not careful they break... My nails grow fast but my cuticles get very dry and cracked sometimes, in addition to that the nails can get dry as we'll and seem to crack and flake on the surface. I guess I could also say they're soft it flexible, they rarely brake unless I really slam them on something hard by accident :/

ARG
July 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM
My nails have a changed a lot over the last three years, mostly thanks to hormones and nutritional changes. I don't grow them long, but they tend to grow quickly (needing a good filing once a week to maintain shape and desired length). My hair, on the other hand, is slow but steady.

Just a side note: When my nails were thin and prone to tear and peel it was when I wasn't properly hydrated for long periods of time (and going through a giant hormonal change), I used Orly Nailtrition (http://www.amazon.com/Orly-Nailtrition-Nail-Treatment-0-18-oz/dp/B003FN88N0/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1404690525&sr=1-1&keywords=orly+nailtrition) because it doesn't contain formaldehyde, and I switched to a crystal nail file. Changed my nails for sure.

cathair
July 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I wish my hair grew like my nails :) Generally the white part of my nails is at least as long as the pink part, usually a fair bit longer.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM
My nails have a changed a lot over the last three years, mostly thanks to hormones and nutritional changes. I don't grow them long, but they tend to grow quickly (needing a good filing once a week to maintain shape and desired length). My hair, on the other hand, is slow but steady.

Just a side note: When my nails were thin and prone to tear and peel it was when I wasn't properly hydrated for long periods of time (and going through a giant hormonal change), I used Orly Nailtrition (http://www.amazon.com/Orly-Nailtrition-Nail-Treatment-0-18-oz/dp/B003FN88N0/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1404690525&sr=1-1&keywords=orly+nailtrition) because it doesn't contain formaldehyde, and I switched to a crystal nail file. Changed my nails for sure.

Hmm, I'm not one for drinking lots of water during the cold months (which are basically seven months of the year here in Canada) so that might explain some of it. I've been drinking water now that it's summer so maybe I'll be seeing a change. I usually keep my nails short in the winter too so here's to hoping they stay long and strong!

ARG
July 6th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Yup! Your body needs water for overall health. You'll probably see a big difference in your hair, too.

CurlMonster
July 6th, 2014, 06:24 PM
My nails are quite thick and grow fast. I keep them a bit shorter now than I used to (Now I like to keep them about like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--DeIfFiNrus/UrJWm2HyUqI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/WMeNs9r7eg8/s1600/IMG_2506.JPG) because as someone else mentioned, if you have strong nails, when they do break they tend to break far down the nail bed and it is very unpleasant. So now I keep them well within the 'safe zone' where I am sure they will not break.

skeletonous
July 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I don't like my nails to get too long; I feel like they're easier to break that way and make it harder to pick up small things, etc. Right now the white part of my nails is about 1/4 of an inch, which I prefer. :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 06:29 PM
My nails are quite thick and grow fast. I keep them a bit shorter now than I used to (Now I like to keep them about like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--DeIfFiNrus/UrJWm2HyUqI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/WMeNs9r7eg8/s1600/IMG_2506.JPG) because as someone else mentioned, if you have strong nails, when they do break they tend to break far down the nail bed and it is very unpleasant. So now I keep them well within the 'safe zone' where I am sure they will not break.

Wow your horse is gorgeous! Andalusian?

And i I will be sure to check out that link!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I don't like my nails to get too long; I feel like they're easier to break that way and make it harder to pick up small things, etc. Right now the white part of my nails is about 1/4 of an inch, which I prefer. :)

Hmmm... I'm not sure how long a quarter of an inch is in cm.... Maybe half a cm?

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 06:31 PM

And i I will be sure to check out that link!

My nails are this length for sure!

woodswanderer
July 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM
My nails grow pretty fast. I usually only let them have like 1/8 inch of white though before I cut. I don't take any hair vitamins though.

TrapperCreekD
July 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Ooh, interesting. What is the average nail growth per month? My nails are pretty strong, but I don't really give them a chance to test their true limits since I've been keeping them super short for the past six or seven years. Long nails + farm = constantly cleaning fingernails. It's also easier to play guitar with short nails. I trim/shape them every 7 to 10 days, so I guess that's normal growth? Hair grows .5" a month, more if I pour coffee on it...

ETA: forgot to mention that I don't take any vitamins or anything for nails.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Ooh, interesting. What is the average nail growth per month? My nails are pretty strong, but I don't really give them a chance to test their true limits since I've been keeping them super short for the past six or seven years. Long nails + farm = constantly cleaning fingernails. It's also easier to play guitar with short nails. I trim/shape them every 7 to 10 days, so I guess that's normal growth? Hair grows .5" a month, more if I pour coffee on it...

ETA: forgot to mention that I don't take any vitamins or anything for nails.

I also horseback ride occasionally but not enough to get them truly out of control dirty. I also play guitar so my left hand fingers are slightly shorter than my right :)

Larki
July 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
My nails don't grow very long, not even past the ends of my fingers, usually, and if they do they grow barely past my fingertips. They're pretty sturdy and strong, they just don't grow long.

skeletonous
July 6th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure how long a quarter of an inch is in cm.... Maybe half a cm?

It's 0.635cm apparently :p

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM
My nails are long and strong. I take every vitamin to man kind. I'm healthy and feel great. My hair is nearing waist but not there yet.

CurlMonster
July 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
She belongs to my riding instructor, but yes I agree she is gorgeous. :D As far as I know she is just a cob-type, don't think she is any particular breed. She looks much chunkier in real life than in that picture!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Aw :3 chunky is cuddly ;P. I guessed Andalusian because of her coat, but her tail looks like it has some curl to it :) my friend had a young Andalusian/thorough bred and I always rode her, so beautiful!

Nesoi
July 7th, 2014, 12:56 AM
My nails are a flamin' nightmare. Insanely short nail beds which are wider than they are long, and the nails are bendy, soft, vertically ridged and prone to splitting. I drink a ton of water, take vitamins, massage hands and nails at least once a day and always use treatments under my polish, and that's just to keep them at fingertip length. Even with all that, my index fingernails still break all the time, probably because I use those fingers the most.

C'est la vie. I keep them painted most of the time because that actually seems to protect them from breaking. I'll never have lovely long nails but at least they look neat at this length.

My hair on the other hand is fairly resilient. Only once in my life have I ever had to cut off damage, and I've put it through the wringer, believe me! My cousin on the other hand has lovely strong, pink, natural nails, but her hair is thin, weak and has a very short terminal length.

Johannah
July 7th, 2014, 01:55 AM
If I eat better, my nails and hair get better. My nails grow faster, stronger and are more white.

Tota
July 7th, 2014, 02:28 AM
My nails are very strong, thick and grow like crazy. they never break and just grow grow grow. My hair grows slowly and it's very fine and fragile. It got a bit better since I've cleaned up my diet and started working out, but still - strong nail, weak hair. :mad: I'd be happy to switch it anytime.

chen bao jun
July 7th, 2014, 07:02 AM
My nails are really strong--too strong. I keep them cut really really short and have for years since scratching myself (or anyone else) is like being gouged with a knife. when I grew them, they easily grew to 3/4 inch past my fingers and rarely broke (and like someone else said, broke off far down the nail bed and HURT. They never peeled or cracked. and they grow fast. I have to cut them every five days or so to keep them so there is no white showing. My hair is strong like my nails and so far doesn't split end or get white dots but I can't tell if it grows fast or not, because its hard to tell how fast it grows, due to its being so curly. I used both heat and chemicals on my hair most of my life, which kept it at brastrap and am still learning how long it will grow. I hope there's a hair/nails correlation because then I will be in good shape. But even using intense heat and chemicals at the same time, I never had white dots and hairdressers never thought it was damaged.
I always thought my nails were so strong due to calcium. I always drank a lot of milk as a kid and ate yoghurt, cheese, etc. However, now as an older lady, I do have osteopenia and got it pretty young, so either the calcium wasn't going to my bones or something...
Wouldn't hurt your hair and nails to drink milk though.
When I was young, people used to drink Knox gelatine for their nails, seemed to work.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM
My nails are really strong--too strong. I keep them cut really really short and have for years since scratching myself (or anyone else) is like being gouged with a knife. when I grew them, they easily grew to 3/4 inch past my fingers and rarely broke (and like someone else said, broke off far down the nail bed and HURT. They never peeled or cracked. and they grow fast. I have to cut them every five days or so to keep them so there is no white showing. My hair is strong like my nails and so far doesn't split end or get white dots but I can't tell if it grows fast or not, because its hard to tell how fast it grows, due to its being so curly. I used both heat and chemicals on my hair most of my life, which kept it at brastrap and am still learning how long it will grow. I hope there's a hair/nails correlation because then I will be in good shape. But even using intense heat and chemicals at the same time, I never had white dots and hairdressers never thought it was damaged.
I always thought my nails were so strong due to calcium. I always drank a lot of milk as a kid and ate yoghurt, cheese, etc. However, now as an older lady, I do have osteopenia and got it pretty young, so either the calcium wasn't going to my bones or something...
Wouldn't hurt your hair and nails to drink milk though.
When I was young, people used to drink Knox gelatine for their nails, seemed to work.

I too drink a fair bit of milk, eat lots of yogurt and cheese, especially cottage cheese yuuummm hahaha but I'm 17 and have low iron level and am now starting to wonder what iron does for nails hmmmmm

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 7th, 2014, 08:11 AM
My nails are a flamin' nightmare. Insanely short nail beds which are wider than they are long, and the nails are bendy, soft, vertically ridged and prone to splitting. I drink a ton of water, take vitamins, massage hands and nails at least once a day and always use treatments under my polish, and that's just to keep them at fingertip length. Even with all that, my index fingernails still break all the time, probably because I use those fingers the most.

C'est la vie. I keep them painted most of the time because that actually seems to protect them from breaking. I'll never have lovely long nails but at least they look neat at this length.

My hair on the other hand is fairly resilient. Only once in my life have I ever had to cut off damage, and I've put it through the wringer, believe me! My cousin on the other hand has lovely strong, pink, natural nails, but her hair is thin, weak and has a very short terminal length.

Hmm sounds like my best friends nails! Short and wide... She only grows and paints them when there's a special occasion on the way. But her hair is hip length and Very Very thin.

queenovnight
July 7th, 2014, 09:52 AM
My nails are quite long. About 2 inches at the moment. - They need a trimming. I just think what you put into your body, you get out. When I eat good, it shows in my hair, nails and skin.

mira-chan
July 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I have long and strong nails. Even when I was sick I had strong thick nails, they just didn't grow as fast. It's genetic as both of my parents both have the same type of nails. I have used mine when a screw driver was not available for looser screws (not super tight). I let them grow long until they break (snap cleanly usually), snap part way or get so long the nail bed starts aching (about cm/ 1.5 cm past nail bed end). I don't like to cut them short because it hurts to cut them (they bend before cutting so pulls on nail-bed skin attachment, ouch).

Climber
July 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
My nails are wasted on me. I don't care for long finger (or toe!) nails, so I keep them rather short. They can grow quite long, and seem to be pretty strong, though. I don't take any vitamin supplements.

MINAKO
July 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Although they grow healthy and strong, ikeep my nais as short as they can possible be. Having really long fingers and nail beds already, it would give too much of a claw like spidery look for my taste if my nails were really long. Also i'm not very talented when it comes to manicure and long nails without nice polish kinda don't seem right to me.

leilani
July 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I have a baby. Short short nails for me. And her.

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM
My nails are prone to weakness and splitting, but my hair is healthy, strong, and grows fairly fast.

As a reformed nail biter, I have found that maintaining my nails at about 1-2cm past my fingertips (or shorter) is best. Any longer and the peeling and splitting starts (which then triggers the urge to bite them). I've had bloodwork done and tests, I'm not nutritionally deficient in anything. My nails just...kinda suck. Oh well. They look nice when cared for properly and keeping them polished helps.

My hair (now that it's virgin) is strong and healthy. No splits, white dots, fairy knots, etc. I haven't trimmed in 11 months!

Nadine <3
July 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM
My nails grow super fast and they're tough as nails. I've lost track of how many clippers I've broken... My hair on the other hand is fine and delicate.

Impulsive
July 8th, 2014, 05:37 PM
My hair is prone to breakage and splits. I don't know exactly how fast it grows, but I suspect it's on the slower side. My nails grow long, strong, and quickly. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

IGIT
July 9th, 2014, 07:14 AM
My hair is prone to breakage and splits. I don't know exactly how fast it grows, but I suspect it's on the slower side. My nails grow long, strong, and quickly. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

Same here... I have very resilient nails that grow in a blink of an eye while my hair is prone to breakage and splits as well...
Maybe I should give my hair the same treatments as my nails:
-Wash dishes 4 to 5 times a day (hair being the sponge)
-Bathing kids (hair being the body brush)
-Cleaning (hair being the sweep, broom, scrubing brush)

Oh well too hard for me...:rolleyes:

meteor
July 9th, 2014, 08:09 AM

I have the opposite situation, and I think it's purely genetic. I sometimes get thicker nails, but only if I'm constantly pampering them with oil massages, masks, treatments for a few weeks or months... then I can have nice, long, thick nails for a couple weeks. But I could never maintain that, because my nails are just naturally super-thin, almost transparent and I can't be bothered with constant intense care. Regularly putting cuticle oil and using hand lotions is all I can manage, but it's not enough.

But there's one thing that really helped my manicure: crystal/glass nail file. It cuts down on splits and breakage A LOT. I highly recommend it to people with weak nails.

LongHairLesbian
July 9th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I am a champion nail grower. Everything every person has described on this thread about their crazy strong nails has happened to me. I also think it's genetic; my mother's natural nails are the longest, thickest nails I've ever seen, and I definitely got that gene. I can only use really sturdy clippers to cut my nails; one time when I was at my then girlfriend's house, I asked to borrow her nail clipper. Her nails are pretty fragile, so she had the small clippers. I tried and tried, but they wouldn't pierce through my nail, not even enough for me to rip them the rest of the way off. She was amazed and said I was lucky, but I have absolutely no use for long nails. They just get in the way. I wish my hair was as resilient as my nails. Not that my hair is fragile, but if it was anything like my nails I could probably bleach and heat style every day and still grow my hair to classic. :lol:

Skade
July 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I have weak nails, prone to splitting, but my hair is quite strong and healthy. I have always thought this is strange. That I should either have strong hair and nails or weak hair and nails. So I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with this difference.

Undomiel
July 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I have quite thick and strong hair that I believe grows decently fast, but my nails are another story! I always have a bit of white on them, but I can't grow out any substantial length to do gorgeous french tips. I do the dishes by hand everyday so that might be part of it.

AnnaKoschka
July 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
So interesting reading all the differences in strength of nails vs. hair. My hair grows fairly quickly, and it's surprisingly strong considering how thin it is, but my nails don't grow quickly at all and they're very brittle so I have to keep them short. I should probably be taking Biotin but I've heard that sometimes that can make acne-prone people break out more, and I don't need any help on that front.

xoChesleyy
July 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM
My nails tend to grow very fast, long, and don't break easily. I keep them short out of personal preference, though. My hair grows relatively fast as well.

Ambystoma
July 10th, 2014, 02:11 AM
My hair and nails both grow super fast (1" per month hair growth and I have to file my nails every 3 days to keep my preferred length, which isn't very long) - I just assumed it was related since they're both keratin, but judging from some of the replies they don't always come together? I always take a good quality multivitamin and get lots of lean protein but it's probably partially genetic too since my Mum finds it easy to keep hers long and they never break, and my son has the same ultra fast growing nails too, which is no fun since I have to keep on top of them constantly!

Stray_mind
July 10th, 2014, 02:22 AM
My hair grows realtively fast and break easily, because it's quite fine. My nails also tend to break and grow quite fast. I don't grow my nails very long though because for me it's really uncomfortable.

emilia1992
July 10th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I don't take vitamins or anything, but my nails grows really fast and they are quite strong. (Which can be a disadvantage when they break because if they break, it's usually way down on the bed. Ouch!) Right now they are pretty long. I wait until one of them breaks off, then I trim them all back.
So, I think hair and nail growth are related. If your hair grows fast, your nails usually do too. If your hair is strong and healthy, your nails usually are too.

Why do you say your nails are not healthy? Are they thin or brittle?

Nail twin! Mine are also extremely fast growing (about a millimetre a week) and I wait until one breaks until trimming. Though I do get quite paranoid about them breaking (because it breaks quite far down) and if it looks like any are going to break, I put a plaster over my fingertip until I can get home and use nail clippers!

My nails do seem to match my hair, which is also fast growing and pretty resilient to chemicals. So yes, I think there is a link.

neko_kawaii
July 10th, 2014, 07:33 AM
When I was a kid my hair grew insanely fast, and no idea about my nails because I bit them. I do know they were paper thin and would simply tear if they were longer than a nubbin and anyone so much as looked at them. By the time I was in high school they had thickened up enough that the nail could be as long as the fingertip before tearing. My hair growth has slowed down and my nail have continued to thicken. They can now be double their length from fingertip before they start to chip but they rarely get that long because I start to gouge myself on them doing everyday things and they get trimmed back. I might trim every two weeks or more, so I'm guessing that is slow growth and my hair grows a little slower than average.

Adiro
July 10th, 2014, 07:53 AM
My nails are particularly poor, and they break painfully into flesh. I do tons of dishes and hand washing every day, with two babies at home That is why I keep them short.
My hair used to be slow growing but during the pregnancies it grew very fast, and I think it became thicker. I was actually surprised when I saw over 4 inch circumference on my pony tail , which would classifiy me as thick hair..... I never thought that about my hair.

diggem
July 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM

2.54cm = 1 inch, so 0.635cm = 0.25 inches

Thinthondiel
July 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I think my nail growth is either average or fast (they certainly don't seem to grow slowly, at least) and they're quite strong. My hair growth is average, and my hair is thick, coarse and strong.

prettigurl
July 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I keep my nails cut short so that my manicure will last longer. I think my nails grow really slow anyway... my hair doesn't grow very fast either. My hair grows about 1/3 inch every month

Lady Una
July 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
My nails have always been incredibly strong and grow really fast. My hair usually seems to match that (growing fast) except it's very fine and not nearly as strong as my nails! I usually keep my nails with some amount of the "white part" on them, usually 1-5 mm or so.

FireFromWithin
July 10th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I thought my nails were weak but it was just the amount of hand washing I have to do. Alcohol gel and normal washing. I'm on a placement that doesn't require as much (pretty much no clinical contact, just talking) and they are so much stronger and grow so much faster! I'm hoping to be able to get a nice professional manicure with shellac for the summer so I can enjoy them properly. My hair doesn't seem to grow all that fast but I've been lax in the actual measuring and keep micro trimming because of damage.

PinkScarf
July 10th, 2014, 02:51 PM
If I don't take Biotin, my nails break and shred and are all kinds of weak and nasty. Taking Biotin has definitely helped though. I originally tried it because I was hoping it would make my hair grow faster and stronger - it didn't, but it sure makes my nails look pretty!

NatNat
July 10th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I wish that they were more connected. My nails have always been strong and sturdy and grow pretty fast, where as my hair is dry and brittle at the ends and grows slower than normal.

martyna_22
July 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
My nails are really, really strong but grow at the average rate, I think. The same thing applies to my hair, I think. It may not be the strongest, but it's pretty much low porosity, and provided I don't use any heat tools, I get no splits. My super-healthy diet might be a factor, though ;)

browntatis
July 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Hii
My nails are normally very weak and tear very easily but my hair I think is very strong and healthy.
The good thing is that since I start taking Biotin 10.000 mcg and Hair, Skin & Nails gummies, my nails are now very strong, grow faster and don't tear, I am very happy about it.

Juniper.
July 11th, 2014, 02:50 AM
My nails are very strong and grow quickly, my hair is fine, thin and splits easily. No connection for me unfortunately.

fiðrildi
July 11th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Not in my case :wink:
I keep my nails very short, because I can't stand the look of long nails in my hands. But they do grow fast, i cut my nails every week, but if I wanted to get rid of the "white" thing that indicates my nails are "too long", I would have to cut my nails twice a week... my hair grows quite fast as well, in one and a half year, I managed to grow my natural roots from 0 inches to APL :)

Laura_F
July 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
My nails have always grown long and quickly, but they usually break eventually. Since I started taking Biotin a few months ago, my nails have grown even faster and stronger. It's much easier to keep them long now.

This is a ridiculous picture that my boyfriend took by accident, but it shows what my nails look like currently.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m229/Lateralus139/July212014.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Lateralus139/media/July212014.jpg.html)

DaniJoy
July 28th, 2014, 04:16 PM
My nails grow real fast and are pretty strong. I have to cut them once a week if I don't want them long but sometimes I let them grow out. My hair grows slow and is fine and thin. No connection for me. :/

Hibernis
July 29th, 2014, 02:33 PM
My nails grow strong and quick. My hair is the same.

Untressed
July 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM
My nails and hair both grow pretty fast though I had numerous nutritional deficiencies from autoimmune diseases so I take several supplements. Finally have labs showing no deficiencies for the first time in years. Hoping this means no more massive shedding and peeling bails.

sally_neuf
July 30th, 2014, 01:59 AM
My nails grow fast but they are not hard, they bend. I think it has to do with the fact I have a lot of collagen in general (also makes me a very flexible person) I got tired of growing them out and keep them short, not passing my fingertips. Anyway my fingers are already long enough

Akville
July 30th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I wish my hair would grow as fast and would be as strong as my nails... :)

No way...

Federica
July 30th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I'm lucky, my nails and hair have always been strong, thick and fast-growing.
I suffered from onychophagy for many years and it has been very hard to stop biting them, but now I'm done with it since four years and I like to have long nails, even though not super long.

Shibe
July 30th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I have very long nails ( half inch over the finger tip), but slow growing hair that is prone to breakage.

My nails are long but peel and break easily.

schatten
July 31st, 2014, 12:13 AM
My nails grow fast, but unfortunately my hair doesn't.

Radiant
July 31st, 2014, 04:18 AM
So I guess what I'm asking is what do your nails look like relative to your hair?

A little late on this, but haven't been on here in a while. Guess I'm in the minority from the answers I've read... my hair has always been long, and really without any effort on my part. I've had hip length hair without even knowing a thing about proper hair care and just using cheap products from Walmart and such. My nails on the other hand have always been horrid. They are super thin and tear so easily. I've tried all the nail thickeners, and special polishes, but yet have never been able to have long nails sadly.

Gertrude
July 31st, 2014, 10:07 AM
My nails growth in terms of speed is very average. But they're very hard and flex rather than bend. So they break by mechanical damage. Don't peel. When I was pregnant they grew fast and were very hard. I was sick all the forty weeks, so nail varnish was out, sadly. My hair is also very average in growth, 1 cm a month, makes an inch every ten weeks or so. It's fine, it splits, it is weak as a kitten. So no correlation.

majesticgoldenr
August 2nd, 2014, 11:03 PM
I'm not much of a water drinker, but when I do my nails grow like weeds. I actually think that their is some correlation for me, with the growth of the two, if I'm not imagining it. My hair is longer now than the last time that I really thought about it, in any case.

CrazyGrace
August 3rd, 2014, 12:56 AM
My nails have always been really hard. I have never broken one; if a nail gets caught on something, it is ripping off halfway down the nail bed. Honestly, I'd love flimsier nails.

My hair on the other hand, is very sensitive to the climate and other factors and can be extremely dry and brittle on the ends.

bananaclip
August 3rd, 2014, 01:09 AM
The two always seemed to correlate for me. My hair and nails both grow fairly fast and and without breakage. I don't take supplements or do anything special. I try to keep my nails short though for practical reasons. I never really thought about my nail health until I got a gel manicure (never again) three months ago that completely messed up them up. They got really soft and pitted, my cuticles cracked, and as the damaged portions grew out they became brittle and broke off. It took what felt like most of summer for my hands to recover from that.

AutobotsAttack
November 22nd, 2019, 01:51 PM
Long hair doesn’t automatically mean long nails. Your body partitions nutrients differently concerning various parts of your body. You could have very thick, long nails, and conversely have very compromised hair growth, vice versa, you can have very nice hair growth, and very compromised nail growth.

I recently stopped biting my nails maybe a month ago, and have been caring for my nails, and have learned that they are quite nice when properly cared for and allowed to grow naturally. They’re a bit thick, but curve slightly, and can peel when they aren’t properly lubricated. Currently they are rather long, and I take the time to give my hands and nails an oil treatment, push my cuticles back, and do a manicure every 4-5 days. Only broken my thumb nail from trying to pick up a box with one hand.

I do shape them in a soft, rounded coffin shape, since they grow flared naturally, and I just generally like that coffin type of shape.

Here’s my nails now
https://i.imgflip.com/3h97p6.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3h97p6)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)
https://i.imgflip.com/3h97vh.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3h97vh)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Laurab
November 22nd, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quite honestly my nails are my favorite feature.
They've always grown really long, strong, and flexible and I love that.
I don't like them too too long, that starts to feel weird, but at the very least they've gotta be a few milimeters past my finger.
My nail polish collection has hundreds of polishes in it. I love it.
I haven't been able to paint them for about a week now (knife sliped while I was cutting something and I don't want any remover or polish near that :( ) but I love having them painted. In high school I'd change the color every three days.
They also grow pretty fast, which makes me hope that my hair will grow fast, though I feel like they've slowed down in recent years. I think they grew faster when I was a teen.
Still, I can always see a pretty clear line of grow-out within three days of painting my nail, so not too bad.

0xalis
November 23rd, 2019, 12:42 AM
I have the capacity to grow my nails long, but I hate having any nails. I keep them as short as possible! It's a real pain having to cut them once or twice a week but oh well. They are quite healthy lately so I hope that's a good sign for my hair :)

Gingerella8
November 23rd, 2019, 01:52 AM
Both my hair and nails grow super fast, when I have my nails painted, within a week there is obviously gaps between the paint and the naked nail.

They both seem to have got faster growing the older I’ve got, probably because I eat more fruit & veg and drink a tonne of water!

Faraniel
November 23rd, 2019, 08:58 AM
Not my case either...my hair is pretty decent, strong and grow relatively fast. My nails? Awful. It gets weak and brittle. I can never get my nails long.

MusicalSpoons
November 23rd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Ha, I wish - with silica supplements there was a noticeable difference in quality in my nails, but even still they start to peel once they're more than a few mm past the nail bed. I let them grow as far as possible but always end up having to clip them back even before they could possibly count as 'long'.

Saying that, my hair has a fair few splits but I can live with that. I can't live with nails peeling because they catch and ultimately end up breaking. Maybe they are slightly similar, just one's weakness is tolerable and the other's isn't.

ravenheather
November 23rd, 2019, 09:49 AM
My nails grow better than my hair.https://flic.kr/p/2hPL6f3http://flic.kr/p/2hPL6f3

lapis_lazuli
November 23rd, 2019, 05:59 PM
May be some correlation. My nails have always grown very well (better than my hair I think sometimes), the free part about 1cm long until I'll break one. I don't cut them until that point, and then I'll even them out..mostly to amuse myself and make my mother cringe at my "witch nails" :lol:

Entangled
November 24th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Long hair, very short and flimsy nails. The short part is my fault, but the flimsy part has always been there.

Elodea
December 1st, 2019, 09:31 PM
My fingernails and hair both seem to grow in pretty sturdy and steadily. I keep my nails rather long (at the shortest, I trim/file them to leave a few mm over the edge of my fingertips) and am used to them that way. It feels very weird to me if I've trimmed them shorter than usual and the very tips of my fingertips are touching things when they're usually shielded by fingernail growth. I probably trim/file them every two weeks or so; I don't mind them getting rather long although eventually it begins to get too difficult to type and/or one has broken off and I want to even them out a bit.

Tip: if a nail breaks off really close to the nail bed and you want to protect it for awhile until it grows back/keep the broken edge from snagging on things, use cotton tape around your fingertip. I find that it stays more securely than a bandaid.