PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair in hot weather?

aforestfae
July 6th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I'm going on holiday and it's going to be really sunny and really hot, I tend to stick to shade and I have a large hat but how else should I protect my hair?
I have the aussie leave in conditioner, Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil and a few deep conditioners I can take small bottles of.
I am considering getting a hair scarf too but I'm not sure if it will just be too hot to have all of my hair and a scarf bundled up on my head.
Also I'm not sure about washing it since it may get chlorine or salt water in it, is it better to wash it every evening to remove that?

queenovnight
July 6th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't shampoo wash, maybe just co-wash. Shampoo is harsh enough on it's own. Oh, and just try wearing hair up as often as possible. - Before I swim, I put olive or coconut oil on my ends. Tends to reduce the dryness from the chlorine.

Madora
July 6th, 2014, 08:04 AM
If you're wearing something on your head, make it a WHITE cotton scarf or a white straw hat. Personally, I'd shampoo every night..but with diluted shampoo, followed by diluted conditioner.

aforestfae
July 7th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Thank you :)
Would diluting shampoo with a conditioner work or should I only dilute it with water?

Johannah
July 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM
I'd oil my hair with coconut oil before you go swimming. For me personally, that works great.

neko_kawaii
July 7th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I live in hot and dry. I wear a hat for anything longer than walking to the mail box (also long sleeves). Pre oil the night before washing once a week or oil prior to swimming and CWC wash when possible. (I've washed the next day after swimming, but then I don't swim often.)

Don't stress about your hair and enjoy your holiday!

Madora
July 7th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Would diluting shampoo with a conditioner work or should I only dilute it with water?

Diluting the shampoo with a conditioner would not be effective because they are two different animals: the shampoo is meant to cleanse, the conditioner is meant to condition. You would be working at cross purposes and not be cleansing your hair effectively.

Dilute the shampoo with water. Ditto for the conditioner. After you have diluted, be sure to stir well then apply the diluted stuff to your hair.

Diluting helps make it easier to get the stuff out of your hair when you rinse..i.e. doesn't require as much rinsing as it would if you used "full strength" shampoo and conditioner.

aforestfae
July 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Diluting the shampoo with a conditioner would not be effective because they are two different animals: the shampoo is meant to cleanse, the conditioner is meant to condition. You would be working at cross purposes and not be cleansing your hair effectively.

Dilute the shampoo with water. Ditto for the conditioner. After you have diluted, be sure to stir well then apply the diluted stuff to your hair.

Diluting helps make it easier to get the stuff out of your hair when you rinse..i.e. doesn't require as much rinsing as it would if you used "full strength" shampoo and conditioner.

patienceneeded
July 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM
I bought this yesterday, mainly for when I go to Mexico next month. There is also a shampoo and conditioner as part of this line, but I didn't buy them. I figured it couldn't hurt. I used cones though.

http://www.paulmitchell.com/en-us/Products/PaulMitchell/Sun/Pages/SunShieldConditioningSpray.aspx

I will also be using a lot of coconut oil in Mexico to prevent damage from the ocean and the pool. I'm going to enjoy my vacation and not get uptight about my hair.

Remi
July 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Ditto on everything so far! (and listen to Madora, she knows volumes about hair!) The Paul Mitchell spray mentioned above is the best too. :thumbsup:

Hrtchoco
July 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I'd oil my hair with coconut oil before you go swimming. For me personally, that works great.

That's what I've been doing also, and it for sure works.

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Wear a swim cap in the pool if you oil or condition your hair, or you risk contaminating the pool/ feeding bacteria and using up the pool chemicals. Use a UV Buff or physical skin sunscreen on hair in the sun; most hair products that claim UV protection are next to useless.

Federica
July 21st, 2014, 03:59 AM
Usually when I get to the seaside (this year will be Sicily, so yay!) I always rinse my hair after every bath I take with fresh water only, then add some coconut oil all over the hair and braid it/put it up.
I try to not wash it everyday, but only water rinsing and oiling/conditioning. I don't care if it looks greasy, because it's almost always wet.
I think a scarf might be a great idea for protecting both your hair from sun bleaching and your scalp/head from the heat. Maybe a hat could be good too!
Sadly I end up trimming a tiny bit every time I come back from vacations, because of the sun/salt damage on the ends, but I see that this can't be avoided if I want to enjoy my summertime.

Nymphea
August 29th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Recently I came back from a month-long vacation at the seaside. My hair was in an updo almost always, and I oiled the ends of my hair, but anyway it didn't help much. When I came back my hair was very dry in the last couple of inches and I noticed a lot more damage. Last night before washing I inspected it and, frankly, to rid of all the damage I would have to cut some good 6 inches off.... I guess it has to do with the previous damage too, so it only got worse from all the salt in the air and from all the heat (although I tried really hard to protect my hair).

Anyway, I'm back to my old routine and now it looks a bit better. I'll try to trim two by two inches since I can't deal with any drastic cut... I think so. Ironically, two month ago I was contemplating cutting back some 6-8 inches for no good reason. Oh, well.

I love the seaside so much and it always leaves me with some damage. It seems that the damage is way worse if I already had some of it before - so that's one thing that I'll be careful about next time.

I'll be reading this topic, hoping to catch some advice for the future seaside vacations!

Entangled
August 30th, 2014, 06:12 AM
How would one wear an updo with a hat? Amy suggestions?

Zesty
August 30th, 2014, 06:16 AM
How would one wear an updo with a hat? Amy suggestions?
Depends on the hat. People have recommended a low infinity bun that would rest under where the hat reaches. Personally I have a Tilley hat that's loose enough that I would wrap twin braids over my head, secure with a bandana, and then just put the hat over the whole thing.

neko_kawaii
August 30th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I've collected some buns that work well at nape for me with hats in a blog post. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=105865)

ummyahya
August 31st, 2014, 03:49 AM
I have lived in a very hot area, and covering my hair preserved their shine, they did not dry out at all!
I also applied a few drops of Argan oil daily.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 31st, 2014, 03:56 AM
Wear a hat or stay in the shade. If swimming, don't put hair under the water or if you do, wear a swim cap.