PDA

View Full Version : You get what you pay for.

Jennwith4
July 5th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Just bought some hair sticks today and it was buy 2 sets get 1 free at Claire's. One stick snapped in half when trying to place in a bun. Bah! Wasn't even using that much pressure. Oh well. Need to invest in something a little sturdier.

Larki
July 5th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Were they plastic?

Jennwith4
July 5th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Yes, though in the past I've had a wood one snap on me but I was using way too much pressure on that one.

Johannah
July 6th, 2014, 02:56 AM
You better can buy two more expensive, but good quality hairsticks instead of more cheaper, less quality sticks. I've bought wooden hairsticks for $1 each, but they broke off immediately. Then I bought two ketylo hairsticks for $13 each and they are PERFECT.

cathair
July 6th, 2014, 02:57 AM
That's bad luck :( I think I have heard someone post this about plastic Claire stick ones before. I get the feeling they re for decoration? Maybe you would be better off with pair of chop sticks?

Jennwith4
July 6th, 2014, 08:11 AM
You better can buy two more expensive, but good quality hairsticks instead of more cheaper, less quality sticks. I've bought wooden hairsticks for $1 each, but they broke off immediately. Then I bought two ketylo hairsticks for $13 each and they are PERFECT.

One of my IRL friends was just telling me to get some ketylos too.

queenovnight
July 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Eh, I think it just depends on the material. I bought a hair stick on ebay for 96 cent. Won a bid and it's held up wonderfully. But when it comes to Claire's, that place is one giant rip-off in my opinion. When I was a teenager, I bought a lot of jewelry and hair accessories from there.. Everything I ever bought broke within a few months.

Unicorn
July 10th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I bought a pair of chopstick type hair sticks at Clair's, I've had them over a year. I'm very happy with them, they're one of my quick grab hair sticks. I tend to use them for the stick part of figure 8 type barrettes so there's little pressure on them. They're also wood rather than plastic. For the price (£2 or £3 for 2 sticks) they are definitely proved good value for me.

I suppose the value depends on how they're used...?

Unicorn

spidermom
July 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I had a moderately priced fork break when dropped on the floor. I didn't know wood could break!

Laurenji
July 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I bought a metal hair stick at Icing (bascially the grownup version of Claire's) and it's lasted me for as long as I've been on the forum, with no signs of quitting. It's sturdier than a knitting needle, I swear.

Entangled
July 10th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Yep, a friend of mine gifted me a pair of those for my birthday. They work for very low stress (loose, really) styles, so they promptly cracked as I inserted them into my nautilus bun. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I realized they were cracking, so I took them out and put in a tried-and-true stick. Now, I only use them for embellishment purposes. That's a little trouble to go through, as I prefer my hairsticks FUNCTIONAL, but they were a gift. :) I've got to show my appreciation for the thought.:D So, I know what you're talking about. My wooden stick is pretty sturdy. I got it from a renaissance faire for about twelve dollars, and it's been very reliable.