PDA

View Full Version : Help about Colored hair, with damage and grays

Adiro
July 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
hello
i am not ready to take photos of my hair, but long story short:
for many years up to 2011- bleach highlights, dense, up to becoming near blonde
2011-got pregnant, did a brown die and let it grow natural
2011-2012 colored in dark brown (near black) ( several times, all length)
2013 - tried to turn blonde, colored with EXTRA Light Blond 2 times on all length, lightened somewhat to a chestnut and got lighter roots.
2013- after second pregnancy and bebe, tried to let it grow naturally, but I cannot anymore , because now I got white hairs ( grays) and they are visible in front and I hate them!!!
2014 Colored blonde all lenght again, then continue just coloring the roots, in C1, NATURAL ASH BLONDE, which is lighter than my natural color

Now what to do???
The bottom part is darker chestnut, the top part is a dark blonde, the roots are medium brown with some grays.
I know that hair dye ( has bleach and ammonia) is damaging my hair, and I can see damage, but I dont/cant grow natural color any more.... and I already have two colors in my hair, and with roots three colors.... any advice on what to do please, to look more "neat" without cutting it all off? ( it's long, past waist, 34 inch long) And what to do about the grays, I NEED to hide/color them, I am 40 but I have small babies, I dont want to look like I am their grandma.

any ideas whatsoever?
thank you!!!

Hopeful65
July 5th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I have gone through a similar situation. Bleaching my hair for 16+ years... too much bleaching, overlapping, trying to add in brown dye to create lowlights effect. Just took it's toll badly.
I decided in 2011 to grown out my virgin hair (which is around 30-40% gray). I really had no choice.
I discovered Fanci-full Temporary Hair Color!
http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-rinse/ROUX1,default,pd.html#start=4
It helped me so much to try to camouflage the demarcation line as my hair grew out. And it also makes my white/gray hairs look blondish. I use the color 'Sweet Cream', but there are other colors to choose from.
It is very temporary and washes out in 1 wash. No developer. It only coats your hair, much like a tinted leave-in conditioner, if you ask me. It doesn't color your hair 'solid-like', it basically just blends it nicely. Makes it much more bearable.
I really don't know what I would have done without discovering this product. I still use it daily. My virgin hair is to just past bsl now, with just a few inches of the old dye & bleach left on the ends.
Good luck to you. :)

Adiro
July 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Hopeful65, thank you!!!
I never tried Roux products, I am reading about them now, I am wondering if they stay well on hair, if one is physically active and sweats a lot? I tend to be "sweaty" all the time, also from caring heavy babies in my arms all the time, and from yard work and other demanding activities..... Does it go off on clothing, pillows, baby fingers? ( the babies play and chew on my hair a alot)
thank you!!!
Adi

Hopeful65
July 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I have not experienced it sweating off, or wearing off onto pillows, etc. But I use the lightest blonde color they have, and also the White Minx color (which is lavender-ish) to counteract brassy ends. So I'm not sure if the light colors are simply not noticeable or what. I know someone who has used the Plush Brown color and has not talked of any color transfer.
I have dripped onto a shirt or towel occasionally, and the color did wash out, in my case.
I don't totally saturate my (already towel damp) hair till it's dripping when I use this. I just lightly squirt it around on my scalp and massage it a bit through to the ends, then put a little in my hands and pat it around on the bottom parts of my hair. It is as liquidy as a leave-in conditioner, but not too unmanageable the way I apply it. It may even work in a spray bottle. I haven't tried that yet.

Adiro
July 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Thank you again!!!! You've been of great help, I am investigating the colors now, your good idea is even greater now that I found out that this product is available here in Canada!!

MandyBeth
July 6th, 2014, 02:24 AM
To even the color, you may need a salon visit so they can strip the dye out, establish a new color and tone it if needed. When I tried blonde eons ago, I had to use toner weekly or I got weird colors.

As for damage - I go darker, so I use Manic Panic. I can try to get a picture, but I've got healthy enough hair. It's not the best at gray coverage however.

But, honestly, grays to me aren't a reason that I color. I actually protect my white streaks to avoid dye. I dye because I'm icy cool toned skin and eyes (cool enough that anything with warmth is a sick color on me) but with dark blonde (6-7) with a ton of red (so a 6-7R) hair, so my hair clashes horribly as is, and staying blonde is too close in coloring because I'm not a soft or muted cool at all, I don't get the too dark, too stark, aging look with blue black hair. Heck, a very impressive colorist has seen my very recently dyed hair and was head over heels about how much my hair color suited me.

abauer789
July 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I had great luck with Aveda Color conditioners. I grew out my natural hair color using the clove conditioner - you may wish to check that out too :)

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM
You can strip out old dark dye easily enough yourself with a peroxide free product like Colour B4 Extra or Color Oops. Then you would probably need a professional colour correction: the results are unlikely to be even in shade or porosity (heavily bleached or otherwise damaged hair will take up and lose dye more easily than healthier hair).

I use a strong shade of La Riche Directions which is a similar product to Manic Panic, and I also sweat very freely. It does bleed and transfer somewhat at the start, but this is quickly limited to only during hair washes. Different shades bleed or transfer more or less.

Semi permanents that are simply colour molecules in a conditioner base can safely be left on for much longer than the instructions for a longer lasting AND darker colour. This is not the case with demis or permanents which contain peroxide. Ammonia is NOT more damaging than the alternative chemicals, just more smelly and more reliable.

ALWAYS run strand tests on shed plughole or hidden hair. Be aware your babies playing with and chewing your hair will cause damage, you might consider daily up dos. Also protect hair from sunlight when doing yard work (eg. UV Buff): do not underestimate the damage, increased porosity and colour fade this causes.