PDA

View Full Version : I am sad to say this....

theAnimeway
September 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
for the nOObs I am a guy FYI

next week I will no longer have my hair :(

I have been trying to get a job no luck

and mom and Pop thinks its because of my hair and I need to give a good "first impression"

cause I look like a bum with my long hair and my children of bodom T-shirt

well anyway

it was great when it lasted

thanks all for the support

if anything changes I shall let all of you know

cause I didn't want any of this to happen

thanks again all

PeaceWithTrees
September 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
How could you look like a bum? Just choose a nice professional hair style. Wear it in an up do.

Magicknthenight
September 18th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Getting a job is usually pretty hard anyways. are you sure its your hair? be sure before you cut!
hope things work out for you good luck!

theAnimeway
September 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Getting a job is usually pretty hard anyways. are you sure its your hair? I don't think so but my folks do

Iphinoe
September 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I applaud you for recognizing that people can be narrow minded and judgmental, and that you may have to make sacrifices to accommodate their biases for the sake of employment.

That's a mature, pragmatic attitude to have, especially when you are first starting out and building your professional reputation. It's not fair and it's shallow of people to rely on stereotypes, but it is what it is.

Look on the bright side; when you've established your professional reputation and people see your credentials first and foremost you will have more leeway on personal style.

EvaSimone
September 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Are you wearing your "children of bodom" t shirts to the interviews???

If you are I bet that that is a much bigger issue than your hair. I would suggest a suit with a tie or at least nice black pants, belt, tucked in dress shirt and a matching tie. Then pull your hair back in a low ponytail.

If you are dressing up for the interviews than ignore my busy body instructions lol.

If you are dressing nice, speaking articulately, giving firm hand shakes, making eye contact and making a generally nice impression most places won't have an issue hiring you even with long hair. If you aren't doing any of those things even cutting your hair won't make any difference. Just my two cents.

Like Iphinoe says people are narrow minded and judgmental but generally if you do the things I've listed above having long hair shouldn't be a huge detriment. But you will have to work a bit harder to get past employers initial impressions (which is where dressing up very professionally comes in)

theAnimeway
September 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM

no I wear a buttoned T-shirt and jeans which I really HATE ALOT and only 1 interview so far

BlackfootHair
September 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
If you've only had one interview so far, don't cut just yet. I agree with the low pony tail comment. Maybe put a light hold gel in it so it holds all the little hairs in place? Also body language is key. Eye contact/firm hand shake is good advice as is making sure to stand/sit up straight. Also, a few days after the interview it never hurts to call back to follow up. Same with after you put in an application. It shows them you are eager and ready to work.

eadwine
September 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Only one? Just keep at it and don't lose the hair just yet. You cannot judge this on the basis of one interview (and that is EVEN when the other family members got hire.d on the spot the first time they had one, that sort of thing is not the norm).

Also, get a pair of nice pants, instead of jeans. Jeans still look shaggy to an interviewer despite the nice shirt.

Katze
September 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM

If you are I bet that that is a much bigger issue than your hair. I would suggest a suit with a tie or at least nice black pants, belt, tucked in dress shirt and a matching tie. Then pull your hair back in a low ponytail.

If you are dressing up for the interviews than ignore my busy body instructions lol.

If you are dressing nice, speaking articulately, giving firm hand shakes, making eye contact and making a generally nice impression most places won't have an issue hiring you even with long hair. If you aren't doing any of those things even cutting your hair won't make any difference. Just my two cents.

Like Iphinoe says people are narrow minded and judgmental but generally if you do the things I've listed above having long hair shouldn't be a huge detriment. But you will have to work a bit harder to get past employers initial impressions (which is where dressing up very professionally comes in)

Excellent advice. My BF has hair a bit shorter than yours (after a recent chop) Although he is 20 years older than you, his dad STILL gives him a hard time.

But even with long hair and a beard, my BF has been able to get where he is (PhD in chemistry, middle school teacher) by being articulate, respectful, genuinely interested in people, competent, honorable, etc.

When he dresses up in a suit jacket (even over a tshirt, but better a non-band one) and has his hair neatly combed, he looks like a scientist or intellectual, not a former heavy metal dude who does viking reenactment.

It all depends, of course, on how much you're willing to buck the system. At your age it's hard, especially when you are living at home. But what if you WERE able to get a very nice job, even WITH long hair?

It's not easy to get a job but if you have your s$%t together, and the interviewer sees this, I think long hair makes very little difference,in the end.

but that's me, I was always a rebel. :)

good luck, whatever happens!

Katze

spidermom
September 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Your hair may not be the problem. Your clothes may not, either. What kind of jobs are you applying for? We really need to know that to be helpful because there's a big difference between how, for example, bankers and plumbers have to dress on the job.

aisling
September 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hmmm, you're 17, perhaps your age, level of education (or lack thereof) and lack of training and experience are bigger problems than your hair? Of course, if you don't have much to offer, looking more well groomed may be your only advantage.

winter_star
September 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Don't give up just yet! I have seen LOTS of guys with long hair working. There has been some great advice so far. Give it some time before you take drastic measures. I too had a very hard time finding a job (I'm talking just over a year).

Try tying pulling you hair back, out of your face in a neat up-do and wear professional clothes. Depending on the type of job your going for, you don't always need to waer a suit, but a nice shirt and suit pants will look great.

Good luck!!

Toadstool
September 19th, 2008, 02:17 AM
If you've only had one interview then any pre-interview rejections can't possibly be because of your hair unless you had to send in photos!!:)

Arctic_Mama
September 19th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I doubt its the hair and it sounds like you dressed nicely. First jobs are hard because they're risky - you don't know what you're going to get, as an employer, and its a lot of work to train a complete novice. I had a heck of a time getting my first job too and I was attractive, well-groomed, and well spoken. It was just a hassle to the employer.

Here's the good news - once you're established hair tends to NOT be a big deal as long as it looks good and clean. My husband is an engineer, previously with the State of Alaska and now with a private firm. He is doing work with high level architects, contractors, the military, and wealthy business owners. His hair is APL and nobody has EVER commented on it, nor has it caused any problems at his job, which is quite stringent and uptight on dress code. Well groomed male hair doesn't look unprofessional at all! Especially if your work is good, often employers are willing to overlook things like that.

Obviously I implore you not to cut it off - you don't want to work for someone who can't deal with something as minor as your hair, anyway! It's not bright green, it's not dirty and ratty looking, and it's likely not going to break any business deals. I'd just keep looking and the right job - and employer - WILL come along. But just one interview? I'd say you need to get turned down from at least four others before making the big snip... and after they turn you down, it does NOT hurt to ask if there's anything they'd change about you or anything in particular that would make you unsuitable for the job, just so you know, for future reference. It might make your job hunt easier if you know, precisely, what might need some work.

And likely at your age it's JUST your resume :) But at least asking would help you get a good idea of where to go from there, and might save your hair in the meantime!

Kaeri
September 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I agree with all the above, I wouldn't cut your hair just yet, not after one interview. Sort all the other things it could be first - if its an office job you're going for make sure you're in shirt/tie/trousers for the interview.. they might not expect that of you if you got the job but at least they can see that you made the effort and hopefully appreciate that you want the job and are not wasting their time. If its not for an office job I'd probably lose the tie but still wear shirt/trousers not jeans. Its all about 1st impressions and if you have your hair neat then that shouldn't count against you.

If you really have made your mind up to cut it then think of it this way - as soon as you have your job you can start growing it again. I wouldn't want you to cut your hair for no reason when it sounds like you don't want to tho.

Silver & Gold
September 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Both of our sons grew their hair out, twice each. And each time, just as their hair was getting to a long enough length that it was actually starting to look nice, they asked me to cut it because they were looking for jobs. It broke my heart every time. I asked them if they were certain. They said they were.
They both have conservative haircuts now and they look quite nice . . . but . . . I feel sad that just because they are male they felt compelled to cut their hair short in order to find employment. And yet, women still face a more difficult task getting ahead in the world. At least men can cut their hair, women cannot grow the required body part often necessary to get ahead. (I say this only to put things back into perspective.)
I'm sorry you feel you need to cut your hair against your wishes. But I do wish you all the luck in the world in finding a good job. One that pays you well enough and that makes you feel useful.
Cheers.

berr
September 19th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Keep the hair. PULL IT BACK or up and keep it secure when you apply. IMO long hair that is secured can look neater than a greazy looking mop that some one has applied a lot of product to keep it in place. You've only had one application. You must spread out. Do as many aps as you can in a day. Then do it again the next day.

There are loads of retail stores hiring right now so they have help for xmas.

SMILE. People don't smile anymore when they meet other people. This doesn't mean to plaster a fake grin on your face. But looking an interviewer in the eye and having a relaxed smile as you shake their hand can make a difference.

Since you're 17 try places like the movie theater and retail to get a start. The best thing you can do once you gain employment is to be there and be on time. We have so many people that call in sick on a regular basis that even though they do the work when they are there... they put a strain on co-workers when they are continually absent. That is one of the hardest things to determine with workers is whether they are going to want time off all the time. Your age is a strike against you in this area because we have one older gal that calls in all the time. All the younger ones have seem to have a 'why not call in sick and get paid for the day attitude' rather than schedule the time off seems to be the norm.

Also, you might have experience. Where you a scout, mowed lawns for neighbors, shoveled snow, paper route, receive awards for school projects. (these say self-starter)

PS: Since the parents are wanting your hair cut, I'm assuming the parents are also wanting YOUR employment as much as you. I could be wrong. But if that is the case, keep the hair and work harder at finding a job.

bte
September 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear your news.
Hope that you find a job before the dreadful deed happens, but if not, keep in touch, and at your age, you should have plenty of opportunities to grow again later on in life.

Good luck!

mellie
September 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Two of my male co-workers at the music store also cut their hair. They didn't have to, but they said that customers seem to respect them a lot more with their hair short. It's too bad, but in conservative areas it does seem to be the case.

Chromis
September 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Lose the jeans unless you are looking to be a farmhand. A pair of neat khakis will still look semi-casual for jobs that would be silly to interview in a suit and tie. No shirts with logos on them. I'm not sure what a button-up tee shirt is, but I would not wear a tee shirt to a job interview either even if it had buttons. Try a button down camp shirt or even a polo shirt if it's just low end retail (I'd pick the camp shirt myself though). You are trying to look one step above what the people already working there do.

sneakybea
September 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
It's your decision to cut your hair, of course, and if you do, there is a good chance that once you've established yourself in your chosen profession you can grow it back. But in today's economy, I would be hesitant to assume your hair is the reason you aren't getting hired, particularly if you've only had one interview. I don't know what kind of jobs you are applying for, but if possible, I'd visit the place you're applying for beforehand and see how the people who work there are dressed. Then dress one step up from that.

Nyghtingale
September 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I respect you for being willing to try what your parents want. This will go a long way in showing them that you are maturing. And I also agree, once you have a job they may be more open to you growing it back out.

JessTheMess
September 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
It sounds to me like Mom and Pop are just trying to come up with an excuse to chop your hair :(

I wouldn't cut your hair yet, especially after one interview.
Invest in a few pair of khakis. I prefer the black ones to the tan, but that is MO. A few nice dress shirts, and a nice pair of shoes. Pull your hair back in a low bun, or pony tail, and use a light gel to take care of fly-aways.
Personality is even more important than your appearance. Smile, have a firm handshake, and be sure to showcase your qualifications.
Retail stores are going to be looking for holiday work, so start putting in applications. Be sure to call back, even if they tell you that they will call you first.
It would be smart to start learning how to write a resume as well. It will help you out in the long run.

And hey, if all else fails, you could apply for a job at a music store, or somewhere that you could definitely wear your Children of Bodom shirt and let your hair down!

This coming from a girl who wore black nailpolish, ripped jeans, and heavy eye liner, that pushed around on a skateboard. I got a job at a worldwide known skateshop, where I could be myself and make money in the long run. I became store manager/sales rep within a year, I made the store a lot of business, and I got great pay. I still have a great relationship with the owner, but I have since grown up and moved onto a job in the direction of my career.

You are still young, you should be yourself and find a job that you can enjoy and have fun with, while honing skills that you can use in your future. Don't conform just yet ;) You have years to do that.

Just some of my 2cents

angelthadiva
September 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Lose the jeans unless you are looking to be a farmhand. A pair of neat khakis will still look semi-casual for jobs that would be silly to interview in a suit and tie. No shirts with logos on them. I'm not sure what a button-up tee shirt is, but I would not wear a tee shirt to a job interview either even if it had buttons. Try a button down camp shirt or even a polo shirt if it's just low end retail (I'd pick the camp shirt myself though). You are trying to look one step above what the people already working there do.

This post was exactly what I was going to say...Iron your clothes too, you don't want to look like you just rolled out of bed and slid on what was on the floor.

Have you heard back from the interviewer yet (ie, got your thanks, but no thanks letter)?? If not, you might still be getting considered...We (I) have been known to take 3-4 weeks to go through the hiring process...We are a small company, so who we (I) choose has to be good fit...Not just the skill set.

Sorry to say, some "mature", can I say "mature" folk just don't like long hair on guys. They may be attributing your choice of hair style to your lack of employment…Going by your age, I would have to guess your lack of employment has to have more to do w/our stinking economy and skill set, than your hair…I realize I don’t know what your skill set is, or what kind of jobs you are going for.

Do you have a resume? If yes, double and triple check it…Then after that, have someone you trust look it over for you.

Grocery stores, the mall or a restaurant would be good places for you to start looking. We are gearing up for the big seasonal rush, so this is a good time (hopefully) for the retail sector.

Good luck on your employment efforts! I’d invoke the 2 week rule for cutting…I don’t think its your hair.

Unzadi
September 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Great advice so far. When I was in retail management, what we looked for in new hires (regarding appearance) was clean and neat above anything else. A pair of clean, pressed khaki style trousers and button down shirt, hair tied in a neat tail or bun would give a professional, ready to work appearance; managers want to see a guy (or gal) who takes things seriously and will work with them.

Again, agreeing with the others, I don't think this is a hair issue. Keep going on interviews and you'll get something.

feralnature
September 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Don't cut yet.

Lots of good advice here.

Slick your hair back in a neat neat neat pony tail.

Close clean shave and smell good.

Good posture.

Eye contact and easy smile.

Suit jacket or at least a shirt with buttons and a collar.

No jeans, wear slacks, even if you never wear them again.

I hate slacks too, I wear jeans so i feel your pain.

Nice shoes, no raggedy shoes, it's the small things that put you ahead.

Your personality should be one that the boss wants to be around, don't act like a loser before you even get to the interview.

Bosses want to hire someone who makes their job easier....project that vibe.

Good luck!

Beldaran
September 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I worked with a guy who had an honest to goodness 6" mohawk. He couldn't spike it up at work, and looked a tad silly with it down, but they hired him.

Lose the jeans, keep the hair.

LuXious
September 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah. Don't cut it. As wise and respectable as your parents may be, if you want to keep your hair, it's something that's not hurting anyone. They have an opinion, let them have their opinion, but you like your hair and you should keep it if you want it. I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview, even if it's for a fast food joint. Khakis are the way to go for the high school jobs. If your hair is a problem for an employer, believe me, they will tell you. Hey! Come to think of it, my first boyfriend had hair like Jimmy Page and his first job was in a shoe store. He didn't cut his hair until he just got tired of it in college. He got a job at the Teacher's Credit Union in Nashville with all that hair. He just pulled it back and dressed up. Looked nice. Don't let your folks get you down. I'm not saying, be all defiant. My advice is, just don't cut it and don't mention it to them, and if they bring it up stay as calm as possible and use as few words, the politest words, and the most final words possible. Show 'em you're a man, but one who loves and respects them.

Jean_Grey
September 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
:( Condolences if you decide to go through with it, but you've got a lot of support if you want to stick it out.

A well kept head of hair doesn't make you look like a bum. You've already gotten lots of advice on how to tweak your look in other ways to look very respectable and hireable.

Good luck!

Vivien'
September 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Don't cut ! Especially if you had just one interview. Remind you that if a boss hire you with short hair, then he probably don't allow that you regrow then...
Keep trying. I had two jobs with my long hair (and my long goatee, so...)

theAnimeway
September 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
And hey, if all else fails, you could apply for a job at a music store, or somewhere that you could definitely wear your Children of Bodom shirt and let your hair down!

You are still young, you should be yourself and find a job that you can enjoy and have fun with, while honing skills that you can use in your future. Don't conform just yet ;) You have years to do that.

THATS what I am trying to do I WOULD really love to get a job at hottopic I have been goin there an back again for a while.. still no answer

wintersun99
September 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM

EbonyCurls
September 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
The thing that stood out to me of anything else were the jeans. Never, NEVER wear jeans (even nice ones) to a job interview. Even if the work-outfits are casual you always dress up for an interview; even if it's for a warehouse or stocking job.

Your would-be employer may be o.k. with jeans on the job but he may not be o.k. with you wearing jeans to an interview (b/c of the common, well-recognized social stigma against jeans in an interview) and see it as a sign that 1) you don't care 2) are inexperienced 3) are out of it when it comes to commonplace professional practice.

My last interview I went to, my employers (I got the job) were wearing football jerseys to kick-off superbowl season, and they warned me ahead of time that they were going to be wearing them. I still showed up in dresspants and a collared shirt.

I agree with many others that your jeans probably had a bigger impact than your hair. I would ask your parents if they would pay for a pair of slacks instead of a haircut. Good luck with the job-hunt, it's not easy and I would try to improve on as much as I could b/f deciding to cut the hair.

dancingbarefoot
September 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would say it's your attire more than your hair. Go look up a picture of Penn Jillette in a suit, usually with his hair in a simple ponytail. Now there's a man with long hair who looks absolutely professional.

Neoma
September 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Once, I interviewed a goth girl for a secretarial job. All of the managers in our department interviewed her. We knew that she was wearing a wig (black bob) and guessed (correctly) that she had purple hair. We didn't care. She was qualified for the job and we hired her.

Anje
September 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
You've heard it all before, but I'm going to say it again: err on the side of overdressing, especially for interviews. You want to be the cleanest, most well-spoken, best-dressed person that they interview, because if you're equally qualified with several others, it will be little things like the fact that you were tidy and friendly that make the difference.

Actually, as a general rule, slightly overdress for any social function. It will make you look unusually put-together and well-prepared.