PDA

View Full Version : catnip and protein treatment together?

henna4life
July 4th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

So I've been using catnip as a conditioner, diluted as per ktani's advice. When I wrap my hair up with it, and leave it on for an hour, the results are great! Only problem is, it's very drippy. And my hair needs protein treatments constantly, so it gets time consuming doing both. I wind up just putting the catnip on for two minutes, but the results aren't as good. Can my gelatin protein treatment be combined with the catnip? Would each treatment be able to "take" without affecting the other? I'm hoping so, because it would reduce the drips and also, take less time. TIA

ravenreed
July 4th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I do my catnip rinse as a leave in. It works fabulously for me. I have no idea about combining the two. I think the only way to know is to try it and see. When I leave off my cantip rinses I quickly notice split ends again. It is quite easy for me to tell it is making a difference.

henna4life
July 4th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I do my catnip rinse as a leave in. It works fabulously for me. I have no idea about combining the two. I think the only way to know is to try it and see. When I leave off my cantip rinses I quickly notice split ends again. It is quite easy for me to tell it is making a difference.

Nice. I considered it as a leave in. I have baby fine low porosity wavy hair. So I'm cautious about it being weighed down. Do you think it could work in this type of hair? I know trying is the only way to find out for sure. My hair has been rather like a science experiment lately. ;)

Hopeful65
July 4th, 2014, 07:06 PM
My hair responds well to protein too, so I have been using Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/protein-filler/CLRFUL1,default,pd.html#q=protein+filler&start=2
It is a liquid, and I would think you could mix it in a spray bottle with the catnip.
I have a little spray bottle and I just mix it with some water and spray it on (no rinsing) ever so often.

I have never used catnip rinses, so I am interested in reading other's responses to this.

lunalocks
July 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I am also a catnip user and find it drastically cuts down on splits. I no longer use conditioner and use the catnip tea as a soak and leave in. Maybe try using catnip tea instead of water to dilute your gelatin?

henna4life
July 4th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I am also a catnip user and find it drastically cuts down on splits. I no longer use conditioner and use the catnip tea as a soak and leave in. Maybe try using catnip tea instead of water to dilute your gelatin?

I actually had considered that, only problem is, by the time you strain the catnip out, the tea is cold. I'm not sure if warming it up/boiling it again is okay? The gelatin ultimately needs to be mixed in hot water. With the catnip soak/leave in, do you wrap your hair up and let it sit on your hair first, or just as a final rinse in the shower? Also, this may sound like a silly question, but if used as a leave in do you worry about drips attracting bugs/staining things/attracting my two baby cats? Teehee. If nothing else I can use it as a leave in, and then try my protein treatment on top of it. As long as the drips aren't anything to worry about…

I forgot the poster's name who suggested CNPF, it's a good idea, only problem is I'm sensitive to some of the ingredients. So gelatin really is my best option for protein treatments. I have hydrolyzed proteins too (maybe I should add them to the catnip tea), but those are expensive to use as a protein treatment… better off used as a leave in.

I use borax to wash my hair, and try to avoid commercial conditioner (grease factor). The borax cleans well but also is drying. The catnip definitely helps, though dunno if I can scrap commercial conditioner altogether (unless I use catnip as a leave in). At least I can cut down on the amount of commercial conditioner I need.

Thanks for all the catnip feedback, keep it coming. :)

lunalocks
July 4th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I often use my catnip cold. Well not cold cold, but not hot either. i was told to not boil it again. Sometimes I add some very warm water to it to warm it up some as it is concentrated. maybe room temp. maybe you could dilute the gelatin in half or quarter the amt of boiling or hot water and then add the concentrated catnip tea for the rest.

I put the tea in a tall steel water bottle and just sit with the last foot of my hair in it for 20 to 30 min, then gently squeeze a bit out and let the rest drip dry.

I have never attracted bugs. The tea is supposed to NOT attract cats, but since I have none, I can't speak to that. You might want to read the catnip tea threads for more info.

ravenreed
July 4th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Leaving the catnip rinse in my hair doesn't seem to attract anything except nice ends. I have a kitty who ADORES catnip. He never bothers my hair at all.

I actually had considered that, only problem is, by the time you strain the catnip out, the tea is cold. I'm not sure if warming it up/boiling it again is okay? The gelatin ultimately needs to be mixed in hot water. With the catnip soak/leave in, do you wrap your hair up and let it sit on your hair first, or just as a final rinse in the shower? Also, this may sound like a silly question, but if used as a leave in do you worry about drips attracting bugs/staining things/attracting my two baby cats? Teehee. If nothing else I can use it as a leave in, and then try my protein treatment on top of it. As long as the drips aren't anything to worry about…

I forgot the poster's name who suggested CNPF, it's a good idea, only problem is I'm sensitive to some of the ingredients. So gelatin really is my best option for protein treatments. I have hydrolyzed proteins too (maybe I should add them to the catnip tea), but those are expensive to use as a protein treatment… better off used as a leave in.

I use borax to wash my hair, and try to avoid commercial conditioner (grease factor). The borax cleans well but also is drying. The catnip definitely helps, though dunno if I can scrap commercial conditioner altogether (unless I use catnip as a leave in). At least I can cut down on the amount of commercial conditioner I need.

Thanks for all the catnip feedback, keep it coming. :)

henna4life
July 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
For those of you who use this as a leave in, do you wrap your hair up and let it sit on for awhile, or do you use as a final rinse in shower and then just dry?

serin blackwood
July 4th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I usually mix my protein treatments in with my 'poo, rather than my homemade conditioners.

I don't use Borax, but for instance if my recipe for the wash is some chickpea flour with shikakai, I will add my gelatin (or silk aminos, or Braggs aminos sometimes) to the no-poo and blend. I also have been experimenting with just adding the gelatine powder, straight, not boiling it into a jello first (different internet sources claim it will work either way).

I usually let the 'poo sit on my head for 2-5 min, rinse, and then use a homemade condish, like catnip tea.

henna4life
July 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I usually mix my protein treatments in with my 'poo, rather than my homemade conditioners.

I don't use Borax, but for instance if my recipe for the wash is some chickpea flour with shikakai, I will add my gelatin (or silk aminos, or Braggs aminos sometimes) to the no-poo and blend. I also have been experimenting with just adding the gelatine powder, straight, not boiling it into a jello first (different internet sources claim it will work either way).

I usually let the 'poo sit on my head for 2-5 min, rinse, and then use a homemade condish, like catnip tea.

Interesting. I should try mixing some with my borax sometime.

To update, I tried the two mixed together. The protein treatment still took. I can't attest to how well the catnip took, however, because I was low on it, and diluted it with water. But I can say that catnip doesn't block the gelatin from working.

henna4life
July 6th, 2014, 10:46 PM

Interesting. I should try mixing some with my borax sometime.

To update, I tried the two mixed together. The protein treatment still took. I can't attest to how well the catnip took, however, because I was low on it, and diluted it with water. But I can say that catnip doesn't block the gelatin from working.