PDA

View Full Version : Propane in my dry shampoo!?

Scelesta
July 3rd, 2014, 11:22 PM
I've never used dry shampoo but i saw it in the store and was curious, so I grabbed it, didn't even think to read the label. Got home and used it cause I wanted to see what it did, and was hit with an ICKY smell, it smelled like lighter fluid. So curious I read the ingredients and was a bit um mortified at what I had just sprayed into my hair, after all I dont see the words "propane" and think "Hey I should put that in my hair!"

Brand is : Suave Moroccan Infusion Dry Shampoo

Ingredients
Isobutane, Propane, SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denat.), Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Butane, Fragrance (Parfum), Isopropyl Myristate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane, Hydrolyzed Keratin.

How bad is this for my hair or do I not need to be worried? The smell really freaked me out, I mean it made my hair look gorgeous but if its bad for my hair i dont want to use it anymore.

Anje
July 4th, 2014, 12:24 AM
This is an aerosol can, I assume. The propane is a propellant -- it wouldn't stay liquid in normal conditions, only under pressure.

Cania
July 4th, 2014, 03:06 AM
I don't use the canned stuff anymore specifically because of all the junk in it. Even if it isn't bad for your hair, I can't imagine it is good for lungs.

If you are worried, you can use arrowroot, baby powder or cornstarch I believe, I only use the first myself. You can mix in a little cocoa powder too, to help it blend with your hair colour.

Kaelee
July 4th, 2014, 04:59 AM
The butane is more like lighter fluid than propane! I'm not sure why that's in there, propane is the propellant. It's used in a lot of aerosols.

kaydana
July 4th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't spray it near open flames, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

The butane is more like lighter fluid than propane! I'm not sure why that's in there, propane is the propellant. It's used in a lot of aerosols.

The isobutane, propane and butane are all used as propellants.