PDA

View Full Version : A good detangling comb, I am new here !

Adiro
July 3rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Hello
I am new here, and I just read through a few pages, just to learn that apparently Boar Brushes are not good for my hair?
I am surprised, as I have saved a long time to buy a very very expensive one, Mason Pearson,and I actually believe that it has made my hair more beautiful for sure :rolleyes:
anyway,
I see that mostly everybody is in favour of combs, and I never used one.
So I bought a large one made of ox horn from ebay , with large and appart teeh, looked nice but I broke a tooth in two days since I received it:mad: so not happy at all here.

Can you please recommend me a good large comb, that doesnt damage my hair and can detangle long grippy hair? Mine is like 34 inches long.... oh, and a comb that doesnt break very easily, please!!!!
thank you!!!

two_wheels
July 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Firstly, welcome :)
Some people are fine with a boar bristle brush- especially if you have straight hair- if you haven't had breakage, I think you should just use it!
They're not really designed for detangling, though, more for smoothing & moving oil from the scalp to the tips of the hair.
Do you have the Body Shop in Canada? I've seen their wood wide tooth combs recommended by a few people here.

Madora
July 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Whatever comb you purchase, be sure that it has no seams. If it does, find a comb that does not. You might find a larger selection of combs if you have a beauty supply retailer in your city. Good combs can be found in drug stores or general retail venues like Target or Walmart. Be sure that you buy a wide tooth comb.

The comb is only part of the process, however. Its how you USE the comb that makes all the difference. You might want to try:

1 Fingercombing your hair first. This separates larger strands of hair.
2 Detangling - Take a SMALL section of hair and starting at the bottom, comb down the strands SLOWLY. Move up the strand a little bit more and comb down again.
Continue combing until you reach the scalp.
3 Take another section of hair and repeat until all the hair on one side of your head is detangled. Band the detangled hair with a clip so it doesn't get mixed up with the hair on the other side of your head.
4 Repeat the detangling on the remaining hair.
5 Style as desired.

I cannot emphasize too strongly that you detangle slowly and gently. Your hair is strong..to a point, but it fragile also, so comb it gently so that you don't break off your hair unnecessarily. Gentleness helps to keep your hair looking lovely.

If you find a knot/snarl/mat, hold it in a horizontal position (not vertical!) and with your fingers try and undo the knot, working from the top and then the bottom of the snarl.

Boar bristle brushes would be fine for your hair. Mason Pearson makes beautiful brushes and many here use them, to great effect. I'm a firm believer in bbbs and have been using them for 40 years on my slightly wavy, moderately thick hair. A bbb helps remove dead hair cells, lint and dirt, distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands, and leaves your hair looking lustrous and very soft to the touch. Boar bristle brushes are #1 in my book...but not for detangling purposes!

meteor
July 3rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Do you have the Body Shop in Canada? I've seen their wood wide tooth combs recommended by a few people here.
I second that recommendation: http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/hair-care-products/hair-brush/detangling-comb.aspx
And yes, there are many Body Shop stores in Canada. I've found some good quality wide-tooth combs in ethnic hair stores, too.
Just look for seemless, wide-tooth combs and wood or horn or resin as material. I know many people have good results with plastic, but plastic does tend to cause static unless your hair is wet, oiled or heavily conditioned. Wood and horn shouldn't be used in the shower ideally: those materials should be kept dry to last longer.

Johannah
July 3rd, 2014, 11:15 AM

I second this as well. It's a great (and cheap!) comb!

Adiro
July 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM
Thank you all!!!
And Especially to Madora for taking the time to teach me so much!!!
Yes we do have Body Shop here, I just never get to the mall very often, with a toddler and an infant.... so I was just thinking to order again online.
I have to say I love my MP brush, it was insanely expensive but they said to me it would last me a lifetime, lets hope so :) I do believe that my hair would have never grown this long without this brush, because before there were always a million little hair fragments jumping out of my head, on the sink counter, when I was brushing. Now there are, but way fewer than before. ( so less breakage, I guess) and yes, I did use the brush for detangling, actually I never owned a comb before....
thank you!

two_wheels
July 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe you can order a body shop one online if it's tricky to get out and about.

I love my MP brush too :crush:

meteor
July 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Yes we do have Body Shop here, I just never get to the mall very often, with a toddler and an infant.... so I was just thinking to order again online.
If you'd rather order online, I recommend also looking into resin combs by Hairsense: http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php
They have a wide variety of combs/rakes and are quite popular here.

There are some good old LHC threads on this subject matter, so you can check out opinions by different LHC-ers:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-73112.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-47608.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-14890.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109559.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-248.html

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hi and welcome. I'm keeping it short, just dropping ou a link to my favorite comb ever, it works a charm for my hairtype (doesn't automatically mean it will for you, but checking it out wont hurt nobody)

http://www.hotcombs.net/hs696w-styling-comb/

LongCurlyTress
July 3rd, 2014, 04:39 PM
Hello
I am new here, and I just read through a few pages, just to learn that apparently Boar Brushes are not good for my hair?
I am surprised, as I have saved a long time to buy a very very expensive one, Mason Pearson,and I actually believe that it has made my hair more beautiful for sure :rolleyes:
anyway,
I see that mostly everybody is in favour of combs, and I never used one.
So I bought a large one made of ox horn from ebay , with large and appart teeh, looked nice but I broke a tooth in two days since I received it:mad: so not happy at all here.

Can you please recommend me a good large comb, that doesnt damage my hair and can detangle long grippy hair? Mine is like 34 inches long.... oh, and a comb that doesnt break very easily, please!!!!
thank you!!!

I am a big fan of the Tangle Teezer available at Ulta and Sally's Beauty Supply here in the US. You can also find it on Amazon "Tangle Teezer." I have almost 30" waist length 3b3c hair and I detangle using the TT in the shower with thick cream rinse in my hair. This TT really works for me at this length. Good luck! PS Using a comb would be sheer torture for me and would also tear alot of my hair out. &:(

hippie girl
July 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
I use one of these:
http://creativehairtools.com/c5t.html

Actually, mine just says c5 on it, though it is comparable to this.

The teeth on mine are square cut at the top like this one:
http://creativehairtools.com/comb/c-le.html
I wouldn't consider my comb extra heavy, but these teeth look more like mine.

I have had one with the more v shape cut teeth and it was wonderful, too.
These resin combs are very smooth and either would be a great choice.

I am always paranoid about wood combs splitting and snagging hair, which these resin
combs won't do.

Adiro
July 3rd, 2014, 11:01 PM
So many answers!!!
Thank you!!!
I must have an addictive personality, but I am already so excited that I am gonna buy something new :) I am actually gonna enjoy the hunt, and read all the links you lovely girls sent me!!!!

About Tangle Teaser, yes, I have one and I do use it when I can locate it, unfortunately I am sharing it with my 2 yr old baby girl, and the dang TT often disappears somewhere among her toys. I do like it a lot though, but I wish it had longer teeth and maybe a handle :)

Adiro
July 3rd, 2014, 11:03 PM
sorry if I am bothering some of you, I didnt have time to go through the old threads yet, but a quick question: a Mason Pearson ( jsut because I love the brush) comb would be a good quality one, right? anybody actually tried one? thank you!

hippie girl
July 4th, 2014, 02:50 AM
This MP is almost identical to the Creative comb I use, but mine was much less expensive.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/mason-pearson-rake-comb/3277932?origin=category

They are both hand polished resin.

I actually like the short version of the comb better. I had one that was this size, but the smaller version is much more portable, which I like. It is just a matter of preference.

two_wheels
July 4th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Duchess67 has a hair sense comb for sale on the swaps board at the moment, that sounds ideal.

Adiro
July 4th, 2014, 01:14 PM
thank you Two Wheels. but I dont have privileges for the swap board, I am new here.... I dont like the rules here, because if I just want to buy something, how in the world would I be a scammer? I would pay first, obviously... ( I assume that the rule with 60 days and 100 posts is for protection against scammers, right?)

Adiro
July 4th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hippie Girl, whoa that is an expensive comb... I was thinking to buy off ebay, the England sellers have better prices and free shipping

two_wheels
July 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM
thank you Two Wheels. but I dont have privileges for the swap board, I am new here.... I dont like the rules here, because if I just want to buy something, how in the world would I be a scammer? I would pay first, obviously... ( I assume that the rule with 60 days and 100 posts is for protection against scammers, right?)

Oh I see... sorry. I can imagine how a seller might get scammed- usually these things go through Paypal, and if you are a horrible person you could pretend you never received the item and get a refund and the seller would be left out of pocket. Paypal does tend to err on the side of the buyer. Of course I am sure you are not a horrible person, but you know how these things go! That is why we have a feedback system here, too.

Adiro
July 4th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Ah, it didn't even cross my mind to do something like that !!!! but that only shows how naive I can be,
I actually swapped a lot and sold too, but not hair stuff, but perfumes, on another forum ( Fragrantica) and while I was scammed there once ( in over 70 swaps ) I was never cheated when I made a sale, thank God.
The rules are good though, they might be here for the protection of my wallet, :) ( at least temporarily)

hippie girl
July 5th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Yes, I agree. That MP comb is sort of steep price-wise! That is why I always recommend the Creative comb. I have been very happy with it. I think that either choice would be a good one, and whichever one you can get at a good price is the one to go with.

duchess67
July 5th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks two_wheels.

Adiro, if you are interested in the comb I have listed, you can send me a private message once your post count reaches 25.

Duchess67 has a hair sense comb for sale on the swaps board at the moment, that sounds ideal.

livelycurls
July 5th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I like The Wet Brush, great for curly hair

Hrtchoco
July 5th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I usually just use my finger and then a cheap wide tooth horn comb I got from eBay. Works pretty well for my hair.

LadyStrange
July 6th, 2014, 12:28 AM
To be entirely honest, I use a cheap comb that my grandma got me from the dollar store. It's got thick, staggered teeth and they're super rigid plastic, so as long as I don't tear through my hair like a madman, I do just fine with it. I was really hesitant about it at first, but it's got my back, man.

ARG
July 6th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I use a cheap goody comb (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Styling-Essentials-Super-Comb/dp/B005HT3PII/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404619341&sr=8-3&keywords=goody+shower+comb). It's lasted 6-7 years, its smooth, and if I lose it, its easy (and cheap) to replace. I also use a TT, I use it on my 2 year old as well and am considering purchasing back ups.