PDA

View Full Version : Have your hair care practices influenced anyone else?

ExpectoPatronum
July 3rd, 2014, 12:13 AM
Mine have!

My mom was one of those people. You know...Got her hair cut and colored every six weeks. She would also wash her hair every day (not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think she needs it), and, in addition, would blow dry AND flat iron her hair every. single. day. I had been telling my mom for months different things she could do to improve the help of her hair, and now? I think she's finally starting to listen!

The first big change I managed to get her to make was her washing routine. I told her about CO when I was experimenting with it and really liked the idea of it. She tried it and ended up liking it! She's like me though in that we both like our shampoo. I believe she alternates between shampoo and CO and WO.

I had also been trying for a while to get her to embrace her natural waves at least a couple times a week, and she was really reluctant at first. Now? She's letting her hair go (mostly) natural! She does still blow dry it a bit so it's not sopping wet when she leaves for work, but I don't think she's touched the flat iron in at least three weeks now. I'm actually really proud of my mom for embracing her waves and working with them. I'm trying to get her to try out the diffuser attachment now...

The only downside is that now she's taking and using all of my hair products :(

What about you guys? Have your hair care practiced made it into other people's routines?

YvetteVarie
July 3rd, 2014, 01:15 AM
Nope not yet. But when people tell me my hair is so long (at least for where I live) and ask me what I use (products) to get it that way, I start telling them my techniques (washing weekly, deep conditioning with every wash, oiling, no heat and wearing my hair up) they just look at me like I'm crazy. Hopefully when I have fully virgin hair they can start adopting my practices

schatten
July 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
Yes, my sister started using almond oil, due to my good experiences with that. And she and my other sister are doing coconut oil treatments now for the same reason. :D

leilani
July 3rd, 2014, 02:08 AM
Everyone jumped on the compact cut bandwagon after I did it. So far no one has yet tried henna but let's see... :-)

Tota
July 3rd, 2014, 02:10 AM
Yes, my DH is growing long hair, he let's me trim it and he uses ACV rinses. Oh, and he loves his Tangle Teezer and he wears his hair in a bun at work. I wanted to influence my sister to stop dye-ing her hair, but she's a hard nut to crack.

StellaKatherine
July 3rd, 2014, 02:36 AM
My sister started using coconut oil after I did a treatment for her. She decided to stop colouring her hair and grow natural with possibly few blond stripes here and there. I would say this is pretty good for a girl who went from natural blond to red, to black, to brown, to blond and few more times up and down the colour sceme :D

Johannah
July 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
I've told a couple of friends about heavy oiling with EVCO en EVOO, and washing it out with CO (because in my opinion, that just works better and it makes your hair extra soft). They liked it a lot.

Also I told my mother about protein treatment since she straightens her hair every day and she said it broke off. It is working. :D

Heavy Raindrops
July 3rd, 2014, 05:53 AM
I have a friend who's started oiling more, bought a wooden comb and is doing the inversion method after I told her about my hair care routine. :)

twiglet
July 3rd, 2014, 06:05 AM
I got my mom to start with CWC and doing weekly SMTs (which I make for her but she wants to learn!). I've also started applying a coconut oil pre-poo before her SMT and having her co wash with the SMT. Fortunately my mom only washes her hair two to three times a week (her hair is super thick and takes forever to dry even though it's only shoulder length) so now she's washing more healthily! She still dyes her hair but I don't have the heart to ask her to quit since she's been religiously dying it for probably over twenty years. To be fair though, she does look too young to have grey hair even though it's past acceptable for her age!

Stiria
July 3rd, 2014, 06:25 AM
I got one of my friend to soak her hair in coconut oil before coloring. She didn't belive me at first when I said it could help protect her hair, but now she loves coconut oil:)

meteor
July 3rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
I have a few friends who started oiling their hair as a pre-poo and/or sealing serum. They rave about it now.
Also, I have a few friends growing their hair out because they've always wanted long hair but thought they couldn't do it. It's so surprising how many people actually are convinced that their hair *doesn't* grow! :confused: They are so used to having the same length (due to frequent trims) that some consider their newly gained inches MAGIC! I should use this as my top advice: "Skipping salon visits does MAGIC to your hair!" :lol:

Nadine <3
July 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
I got my best friend to start CO washing her very curly hair (she thought it was frizzy and "unmanageable") and stop brushing the living daylights out of it. I got her to oils her ends and start trimming away all the bleached damaged bits.

Anje
July 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Definitely my husband. He's taken to CO washing part of the time, has done henna quite a lot... Heck, for a while he was trying to grow his hair long. During that time, I managed to convince him to SMT. The first time I put it on him, he pouted like a cat wearing clothes, but was so wowed when he rinsed it out that he repeated the treatment on his own every few weeks.

I've also got a close buddy and former roommate who now oils her curls.

molljo
July 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I've gotten one friend to do a hairtyping, and a couple others who want to try when they get the time. The friend who did it thought she just had messy straight hair, but it turns out she has quite a bit of wave. I really don't want to scare her off with too much info at once, but her hair is MBL and a natural honey color, and I think if she took care of it she could have a truly glorious mane. The other people who've heard about LHC techniques have just recoiled in horror, and said lots of things I know to be untrue. It's very discouraging to help people when there are naysayers around who seem determined to make you look stupid.

divinedobbie
July 3rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
I convinced my mom to try growing out her natural colour. It's a dark ash blonde, but she gets warm blonde highlights done every month. She grew it out for three months but hated it and started highlighting again. If colouring makes her feel better, I'll let it be.

ExpectoPatronum
July 4th, 2014, 02:01 AM
It's funny how sometimes people will be repulsed by our methods and then are really wowed by them when they work.

SleepyTangles
July 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM
My flatmates, partially :D! Buddy #1 is a longhair herself, so no difficult task. Buddy #2 occasionally uses heath, but she often ask me to put some oil on her ends before shower, or to make her a deep treatment.
Buddy #3 is growing out her hair, but I have few choices of "convert" her to a hair-friendly routine soon: her hair is in an awkward stage and she flat irons it after covering it with hairspray. Good thing she has thick, strong hair, one of the most beautiful kind of hair I've ever seen.
My mum is a shortie, so no chance there, but her routine is hardly damaging.

Majorane
July 4th, 2014, 02:35 AM
I have a few friends ask me what they need to do with my hair, like I am the hair encyclopaedia. Which is odd because I am known for my weird hairstyles, but I guess when people see hair change the think it means you know what you are doing. I usually point them to the interwebs.

What I think IS a promising development is that a co-workers husband seems very interested in hair sticks. He makes the most awesome inlaid wooden or bone knife handles and pendants, but he just finished a woodandbone stick and is working on an ebony and amber one. For his wife. We try to talk him into making more and putting them on Etsy. If that happens and we end up with our first Dutch wooden hairtoy maker, my goal in life has been reached and I can die a happy halflonghair.

Winter Fox
July 4th, 2014, 03:44 AM
My boyfriend actually lets me braid his (midback long) hair and uses my self-made Shampoo Bars instead of "normal" Shampoo. I really apreciate that because it shows me his interest in what has become one of my hobbies. :D He also uses my Tangle Teezer and frequently asks me, how his hair looks like (i.e. after washing or a nightbraid).
Also my parents and some their friends use my Shampoo Bars :cool:

restless
July 4th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Im not very successful in this area it seems... I have only managed to make one of my friends buy a Tangle Teezer.

lapushka
July 4th, 2014, 05:04 AM
The only downside is that now she's taking and using all of my hair products :(

Yep, that's the price you pay for being nice! :lol: ;) Oh well, yes I guess I've influenced my mom some. But she already had good hair care practices that I inherited from her.

schatten
July 4th, 2014, 05:42 AM
What I think IS a promising development is that a co-workers husband seems very interested in hair sticks. He makes the most awesome inlaid wooden or bone knife handles and pendants, but he just finished a woodandbone stick and is working on an ebony and amber one. For his wife. We try to talk him into making more and putting them on Etsy. If that happens and we end up with our first Dutch wooden hairtoy maker, my goal in life has been reached and I can die a happy halflonghair.

Yes, this would be perfect! Such a pity you can't find proper hair sticks in the Netherlands at all :(

Nope
July 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I convinced my boyfriend to wear a swim cap, and to use conditioner. He also asks me to oil, and wash his hair for him all the time, because he likes the way I do it. XD

PraiseCheeses
July 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM
My mom started to grow out her hair after I visited her last summer. She made some comment about how mine was so nice and how she wishes she could grow hers out but she's too old... well, I shut that thinking down pretty quickly! I told her about the forum and some of our older members here and how vibrant and lovely they are.

She uses the OCM for her face and oils and Panacea for her hair. She's stopped getting it thinned at the hairdresser's (why didn't I get those genetics?! :wail:) and she hasn't been dying her "wisdom highlights" (thank you to whichever LHCer from whom I mooched that term!) but instead uses catnip or chamomile rinses. I gave her a Timberstone stick for Mother's Day this year... but due to her thickness she can't even do a cheater's hairstick bun at APL. :lol: She's looking forward to using it.

At 59, she looks wonderful. I found a picture of her with short hair playing piano at my high school graduation party. She looks younger now. :)

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I influenced a girl at work in a small way she wears up dos and uses palmers olive oil hair oil solid.

Majorane
July 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Yes, this would be perfect! Such a pity you can't find proper hair sticks in the Netherlands at all :(
Yeah, it stinks. They do sell them at Bijoux Brigitte, but those aren't great... I'll really try to convince him there's a market for hair toys, IF he wants to make them. He might not be interested in doing a lot of the same work, or keep it as a hobby. Shame, because he really makes nice stuff.

I think it's awesome that all our hard work pays off and LHC is spreading the Good News! (="you, too,can have healthy longer hair")
Hooray for us!

ashke50
July 4th, 2014, 03:44 PM
My little sister is getting married this summer, and spoke to me at Christmas for hair care advice to get her hair looking its best for the wedding. So now she is washing it more gently, only shampooing the scalp, using coconut oil and S&Ding!

lunalocks
July 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I convinced my beloved teen niece to STOP with the straightening irons. She has lovely, lovely waves I would kill for. Then I gave her a hair fork and wide tooth comb and BBB for her birthday. She said it was the best present EVER.

woodswanderer
July 4th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Heck no! I often have people compliment me and ask how I got my hair so long, healthy, etc. I tell them and they are disappointed and no one ever wants to lay down the heat tools, or anything else I recommend. I think people just hope I will say I take some pill that they can get at Walmart and anyone can have great hair no matter how hard they abuse it. I give up on converting.

kitcatsmeow
July 5th, 2014, 05:45 AM
My best friend has been doing the hair mask treatments I do. She did a coconut milk treatment the other day except it kinda went all wrong since she used the Silk brand in the carton and not the kind in the can. lol. She also tried using baby oil but used too much. She's a trooper though and used the BS in her shampoo to clarify. I guess I need to be more specific when i give her recipes lol.