PDA

View Full Version : Sore head little curlies

kathyblack1
September 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
So, I cut my hair really short into a boys cut. Why? Because I wanted to go natural minus the transition. So with about 1 inch of hair on my head I have a question. For some reason my head feels sore. I am wearing a wig through-out the day 4-5 times a week for 5-6 hours until I come back from work.
I would blame it on the wig but I remember when I transitioned for a long time without chemically straightening my hair straight it would feel sort of sore, from the curlies:confused:!
My question (sorry for the rant) is what can I do to ease this sore feeling?

Strongnlong
September 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Lose the wig and let your scalp breathe. The soreness will subside with time. You can also add scalp massage with a light oil to treat (literally & figuratively) your scalp.
HTH
And congrats on your BC!!

Kirin
September 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Though I dont suffer this problem, I know others that do. I agree with losing the wig if possible (though it might not be). nightly scalp massage with Tea Tree oil is said to help, castor oil as well.

Katze
September 19th, 2008, 01:00 AM
yeah, it kind of sounds like the wig is pressing your hair into your scalp...? A massage sounds like a very good idea, with some soothing oils (I'd suggest lavender, maybe even PURE aloe vera).

I only ever wore a wig with chin-length hair and I'd get really itchy underneath it (though it was nice to wear one in winter).

Congratulations on having the strength to cut back to natural and start over. :flower:

kathyblack1
September 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thank you everyone for you very kind words. It seems as if it is the wig, but right at this moment it is not possible for me to wear my hair out. My hair is really short and my head really small ;p!
I have tea tree oil and pepper mint oil, perhaps I will use those for my scalp. Also I have aloe vera juice 100% natural, I may do a rinse.

kathyblack1
September 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Another thing I wanted to ask if anyone knows. If I do herbal rinses and the herb/herbs has alot of caffeine could it go into my skin and effect my sleep?

NurseMama
September 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Another thing I wanted to ask if anyone knows. If I do herbal rinses and the herb/herbs has alot of caffeine could it go into my skin and effect my sleep?

Caffeine is not readily absorped through the skin.

birthmarkie
September 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
The smell of the coffee may affect you, so be careful doing it before you want to sleep.

Congratulations on your decision and I too recommend scalp massages or maybe a cute hat or scarf that allows your head to breathe more.

Kirin
September 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
No, it wont keep you up, however caffeine is touted to stimulate hair growth. Because of this I put Coffee in my henna. Hey, any little bit helps !

Delila
September 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I just thought I'd mention that I sometimes get a sore scalp just from having let my hair rest in one position for a long time. Braid, updo, whatever, if the style encourages the hairs to rest in one position for a long time, my scalp can be tender once I let my hair down, and it sometimes takes a while for the tenderness to go away. I get the same effect if I slick my hair back and let it dry in that position, in fact, that's about the worst.

Also, my scalp seems not to like having conditioner on it, I get that same tender/itchy feeling sometimes just from conditioner, so now that my hair's longer, I've been able to just condition the length and avoid the issue.

As for my scalp, it's generally pretty tender, and prone to itchiness. After a good number of years experimenting (thanks, LHC'ers!), I've been able to find some products and routines that help minimize the trouble. It seems that some products just give my scalp problems, and avoiding them, or making SURE I rinse them off, is key.

My scalp seemed to like herbal cleansing, but I didn't keep up with it a few years ago because I felt as though I needed more slip and detangling help than the herbal concoctions could give me. Lately, though, I've been using a catnip rinse (for scalp and length) after I shampoo and before I condition my length. My hair seems to like it, and I like the conditioning effect.

Ack! Sorry to ramble, but I just thought I'd mention my own issues with a sensitive scalp, and some of what has helped me live without those discomforts. HTH!!