PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Bugs!

Jennwith4
July 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
What's the best remedy for head lice? Just discovered some on my 7 year old.

chen bao jun
July 2nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
TEa tree oil, I have heard, but others should weigh in as I have no experience.

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Neem oil is the best natural solution for head lice because it kills lice and eggs, as well. Unlike with many other natural oils, you may not need to reapply neem, because it's really effective.
Tea tree oil is good, too, but don't forget that tea tree is an essential oil so you'll need to dilute it in a carrier oil. And some people report dryness with tea tree.

chen bao jun
July 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
I have a friend who got them last year from an orphan she had adopted, I will ask her how she got rid of them.

pinchbeck
July 2nd, 2014, 08:19 PM
When my son got lice I mixed: neem seed oil (as mentioned above), rose geranium oil, tea tree oil with conditioner and left it on his hair for a few minutes. It killed the live lice and I picked out the nits with a nit comb and repeated this treatment again every day until they were all gone! I also treated my hair with the same mixture just in case the little buggers were in my hair.

Jennwith4
July 2nd, 2014, 08:56 PM
Where would I find neem oil I looked at my local natural/organic/vitamin store and no luck.

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
Where would I find neem oil I looked at my local natural/organic/vitamin store and no luck.

Do you have any Indian shops nearby? Even small ones usually carry it and sell it pretty cheaply (just $5 - $8 where I live).

Jennwith4
July 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Not sure I'll have to ask around.

browneyedsusan
July 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
You can find neem oil at the garden center. It's good for all kinds of bugs!

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
I had a time with them from the group home I work at they used mayonnaise with a shower cap on left it for I think hour used a lice comb to comb the mayo out then rinsed with vinegar. You'd have to look it up on line. This was the method the health board sent them.

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
You can find neem oil at the garden center. It's good for all kinds of bugs!

Great point! And while you are waiting to get neem oil, you can already use some oil you already have at home (coconut, almond, olive...): oil smothers lice, so it will give your 7 year old some temporary relief, but you'll need to reapply.

Jennwith4
July 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
Already applied a mix of olive, grapeseed, coconut and tea tree oil to their heads...oh did I mention I found them on my 9 year old too? Yeah, such fun. My 10 year old luckily has an oily scalp problem which worked to her benefit and no sign of them on my son either. But with him I'd just shave his head. He's due for a haircut anyhow. No clue about my own head. I suspect so because my scalp is itchy but can't see anything. hard to check on my own head. Will treat just in case. And will stop by Home Depot to get the Neem oil.

I know it usually takes 7-10 days to be sure they're gone but we are flying to visit the in-laws in the Midwest next Monday. Joy! *sarcasm* Should I take all the oils with me on the trip?

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
Already applied a mix of olive, grapeseed, coconut and tea tree oil to their heads...oh did I mention I found them on my 9 year old too? Yeah, such fun. My 10 year old luckily has an oily scalp problem which worked to her benefit and no sign of them on my son either. But with him I'd just shave his head. He's due for a haircut anyhow. No clue about my own head. I suspect so because my scalp is itchy but can't see anything. hard to check on my own head. Will treat just in case. And will stop by Home Depot to get the Neem oil.

I know it usually takes 7-10 days to be sure they're gone but we are flying to visit the in-laws in the Midwest next Monday. Joy! *sarcasm* Should I take all the oils with me on the trip?

Yes, I'd take them on the trip, but make sure you use 2 or more zip-lock baggies to wrap little bottles: oils are notoriously leaky on trips.

Honestly, if you already have tea tree oil on you, you should be good. Just increase the % of tea tree in your oil mix if it appears not to be very effective.
Apply a lot, over and over again and keep combing. The advantage of oils is that they won't dry out your hair the way special anti-lice shampoos and treatments tend to do, and you can safely apply oils liberally.
Btw, I have to mention that neem oil is so stinky that your kids might really dislike the procedure.

Also, if you have multiple oils at home, according to this (http://www.healthline.com/health/lice-home-remedies#2), oils that you might find useful in your oil mix to treat lice are:

tea tree oil
lavender oil
neem oil
clove oil
eucalyptus oil
aniseed oil
cinnamon leaf oil
red thyme oil
peppermint oil
nutmeg oil

Jennwith4
July 2nd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the help!

HeavenlyTresses
July 2nd, 2014, 10:50 PM
All the oils work great to smother them but it's also very important to comb and comb and comb to get out the nits. The eggs are very sticky and you can use apple cider vinegar diluted with water to help release them from the hair strand. Also don't forget to wash any bedding, towels, hats, headbands or ponytail holders and spray down anything that can't be washed like furniture and stuffed animals. Those little suckers lurk everywhere and it only takes a few eggs to start the cycle all over again.

Henna Girl
July 2nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
My daughter had lice when she was 6 and she had beautiful long hair at that time, which made it hard to get rid of. The first trial didn't work because the nits were not completely removed and they hatched again and the problem started all over again.
what worked was:

1. I had to cut her long hair to chin length :(
2. soaked the hair in olive oil (really soak it until dripping) and left it on her hair for 4 hours. All existing lice were smothered and dead.
3. pulled out by using my fingers as many nits as I could -olive oil made this step very easy because her hair was super slippery (it was impossible to do all nits at the first go)
4. washed the hair.
5. repeat steps from 1 to 4 every 4 days to kill any newly hatched nits that were not removed - until there was no more nits to remove.
6. do this for a whole month to be sure that no more nits are left.

After this we never saw lice again.

An easier solution for a boy who doesn't care a lot about how he looks is to shave all his hair off.

Good luck with this. Lice can be really stubborn.

:)

Jennwith4
July 3rd, 2014, 01:47 AM
Finally finished round 1 of combing out their hair. Luckily both girls have shoulder length hair. Bad new...a friend checked me and yup I've got 'em. ARGH! Now it's my turn for treatment. No idea how I'm gonna comb all 36" of hair with that tiny little comb. Yikes!

And none of our city's garden centers carry neem oil. Bah!

leilani
July 3rd, 2014, 03:05 AM
7 years ago I was in your position with nearly as long hair. I ended up chopping a good six inches so I could get the comb all the way through easier, using the medicated shampoo multiple times on all of us, combing and combing and combing....

YumiYume
July 3rd, 2014, 07:40 AM
when my daughter came home with lice couple of years ago maby, I got advice from here that olive oil would work (they cant breath), and it did. I kept our heads covered in oliveoil 1.5-2 weeks just to be sure and it worked :eye:, even sended her to kindergarden with oil in her hair. but she came home with it later on again and again same season so used lice-shampoo then =/

edit: I combed while the hair was full of oil, I remember it to be much less painfull

good luck to get rid of those discusting things :flower:

meteor
July 3rd, 2014, 10:02 AM
when my daughter came home with lice couple of years ago maby, I got advice from here that olive oil would work (they cant breath), and it did. I kept our heads covered in oliveoil 1.5-2 weeks just to be sure and it worked :eye:, even sended her to kindergarden with oil in her hair. but she came home with it later on again and again same season so used lice-shampoo then =/

edit: I combed while the hair was full of oil, I remember it to be much less painfull

good luck to get rid of those discusting things :flower:

For those who want to prevent this, I recommend adding a few drops of tea tree oil or neem oil (if you can stand the smell) to shampoo every time you wash your kids' hair as a preventative measure. It's good for scalp health and keeps lice at bay. Pests, insects, fungi, bacteria really hate these oils. It's probably good prophylactic practice for whole families with a kid that got lice recently, because lice can crawl on other people extremely fast.

Cutting hair is not necessary at all, but I understand why people do it. Even with the slip you get from all those oils (apply very liberally!), it must be insanely hard to get that comb through. :( Which is why neem is recommended because it effectively kills lice in all stages of their life cycle and also neem's presence inhibits their eating and biting behavior, giving you more time to comb everything out.

Good luck!:blossom:

red-again
July 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Hedrin is the best thing I've found. It will stop the need for you having to comb. It's silicone basically so it dehydrates the headlice. There is "hedrin once" in the range which contains an ingredient which lenerrates the eggs too so they won't hatch.

PiXiEmandy
July 3rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Neem oil rocks..... as a treatment but i found a preventative i love its organic called l from fairy tails!!!!

Jennwith4
July 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Stepping up my search for neem oil today. Never heard of Hedrin. Don't think it's available in the US. Cutting my hair is sooooo not an option! Will soldier through somehow.

YumiYume, that my plan as well. Just gonna keep our heads covered in oil.

LauraLongLocks
July 3rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
1. Put olive oil in the hair. It will slow down and smother the majority of them.
2. Put a shower cap over the oiled hair and let it sit for 4+ hours or overnight while it does its job of smothering.
3. Before washing the olive oil out, use a fine tooth (nit/lice) comb and section the hair, bit by bit, and comb out the adult bugs and as many eggs as you can get out. Seal them in a plastic ziplock bag and remove them from your house.
4. Wash the hair to remove the olive oil. When hair is dry, it wouldn't hurt to pick again, but it won't be as easy to slide the eggs off the hair shafts without the olive oil.

Lice have a 21 day life cycle, and when the females reach reproductive maturity, they lay eggs every day. So the key in killing them all is to remove as many as possible right from the start, then repeat the oil smothering/picking techniques on key days in the life cycle. You need to do the olive oil and picking treatments on days 1, 2, 5, 9, 13, 17, and 21. You can do it more often if you like, but do it on these key days or you will likely have to start all over again.

Cleaning the environment is important, but not as critical as treating the heads of the people who have lice. The bugs don't LIVE in the environment, they live on the head. So, change the sheets/pillow, and towels. Clean your brushes and set them aside not to use for at least the next 3-4 weeks. But unless there is a snuggly stuffed animal that is constantly in close contact with the child, there is no need to bag up every stuffed animal in the house. Do vacuum the floor and furniture, but again, this is secondary. It really only has to be done once during the treatment time. Focus on the head. That's where the lice live and breed. There is no need to fill the house with harmful insecticide sprays and treatments.

Good luck. We've had lice twice, and successfully got rid of it both times, with no repeat problems. The last time we had them, I didn't have anyone to pick my long MBL hair for me, and so in desperation, I chopped it to a pixie. I hated it, but that was 6 years ago, and chopping it made it much easier to pick through. Never again. I didn't know back then, but I could have and should have just sectioned my hair and done it myself with small bits, a little at a time. Yes, it would have taken a lot of patience, but I would have knee length hair now if not for that pixie cut.

Jennwith4
July 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
1. Put olive oil in the hair. It will slow down and smother the majority of them.
2. Put a shower cap over the oiled hair and let it sit for 4+ hours or overnight while it does its job of smothering.
3. Before washing the olive oil out, use a fine tooth (nit/lice) comb and section the hair, bit by bit, and comb out the adult bugs and as many eggs as you can get out. Seal them in a plastic ziplock bag and remove them from your house.
4. Wash the hair to remove the olive oil. When hair is dry, it wouldn't hurt to pick again, but it won't be as easy to slide the eggs off the hair shafts without the olive oil.

Lice have a 21 day life cycle, and when the females reach reproductive maturity, they lay eggs every day. So the key in killing them all is to remove as many as possible right from the start, then repeat the oil smothering/picking techniques on key days in the life cycle. You need to do the olive oil and picking treatments on days 1, 2, 5, 9, 13, 17, and 21. You can do it more often if you like, but do it on these key days or you will likely have to start all over again.

Cleaning the environment is important, but not as critical as treating the heads of the people who have lice. The bugs don't LIVE in the environment, they live on the head. So, change the sheets/pillow, and towels. Clean your brushes and set them aside not to use for at least the next 3-4 weeks. But unless there is a snuggly stuffed animal that is constantly in close contact with the child, there is no need to bag up every stuffed animal in the house. Do vacuum the floor and furniture, but again, this is secondary. It really only has to be done once during the treatment time. Focus on the head. That's where the lice live and breed. There is no need to fill the house with harmful insecticide sprays and treatments.

Good luck. We've had lice twice, and successfully got rid of it both times, with no repeat problems. The last time we had them, I didn't have anyone to pick my long MBL hair for me, and so in desperation, I chopped it to a pixie. I hated it, but that was 6 years ago, and chopping it made it much easier to pick through. Never again. I didn't know back then, but I could have and should have just sectioned my hair and done it myself with small bits, a little at a time. Yes, it would have taken a lot of patience, but I would have knee length hair now if not for that pixie cut.

I'm at BCL so I know it's not going to be a picnic combing through but I worked to hard and long to get this length to chop it off now. :) thank you for your suggestions! Slept with my hair covered in EVOO, coconut oil, tea tree and peppermint.

Success! Found some neem oil! It was at my local vitamin store. Asked the owner and she took me right to it. Also said she sold out of all her neem oil lice treatment kits in the last few weeks! Seems like there is an outbreak in our town right now.

Jennwith4
July 4th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Yay! Friend kindly searched through my hair and no sign of anything! Keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.

Goodwyfe
July 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I have noticed Target is now carrying the Fairy Tales line of natural lice repellant products for kids.

meteor
July 4th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Yay! Friend kindly searched through my hair and no sign of anything! Keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.
Awesome! Congratulations, Jennwith4! :D

I'd just recommend to keep applying neem (diluted works just fine, too!) for a while just to be safe, since you had a few people in the family affected. Also, neem is excellent for scalp and hair, so there's no downside (except for smell!) or side effects to this prophylactic.

Jennwith4
July 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Adding a few drops of neem oil to my daily leave in. Going to be adding it to my kids shampoo regularly now as well.

Jennwith4
July 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM
While my friend did another check for me today she found my 1st gray hairs. 5 of them, one for each member of my family! LOL

~*~Aspen~*~
July 6th, 2014, 01:01 AM
What's the best remedy for head lice? Just discovered some on my 7 year old.
AWW!! :scared:

I guess we too will have to try the Neem oil next time.

Throughout the summer I am still combing their hair with a nit comb

We just got over them last month.. it was several mayo treatments, those big cans of bug spray killers, and lots of shudder::horse::knitfrog::pray:s later..

Wish you the best of luck :blossom:

MandyBeth
July 6th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Need oil is my go to, but since my kids know to not share hair items and if long, wear it up, I've not seen a repeat.

For my daughter, ugh. Diabolical nightmare. Heavy matting, bugs and panic at the idea of cutting her hair. Thanks Governor Heineman for slaughtering foster care. I did need days 1, 7 and 21, then repeated that once the matting was gone. Every other day, I poured whatever oil she liked on her hair until it was saturated and dripping. Comb out what I could. And the matting held a lot of nits and eggs. Nits died off, but still disgusting.

I could only find plastic nit combs, not happening on her hair. A dog flea comb worked as well, but was sturdy.

~*~Aspen~*~
July 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Need oil is my go to, but since my kids know to not share hair items and if long, wear it up, I've not seen a repeat.

For my daughter, ugh. Diabolical nightmare. Heavy matting, bugs and panic at the idea of cutting her hair. Thanks Governor Heineman for slaughtering foster care. I did need days 1, 7 and 21, then repeated that once the matting was gone. Every other day, I poured whatever oil she liked on her hair until it was saturated and dripping. Comb out what I could. And the matting held a lot of nits and eggs. Nits died off, but still disgusting.

I could only find plastic nit combs, not happening on her hair. A dog flea comb worked as well, but was sturdy.

That makes me feel alot better.:p

~*~Aspen~*~
July 6th, 2014, 04:54 PM

That makes me feel alot better.

That's Exactly what happened.:p

MandyBeth
July 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Oh, kiddo had then pulled straight mid thigh length hair. No chops from the bugs. Have done major cuts from the damage, but not bugs.

Honestly, had I not grown up a farm kid, vet teched and had chickens - I probably would have ran the other direction from the bugs in the matting. It was gross to me and I've treated fly stricken rabbits as a tech and chickens are disgusting. But pouring the oil in helped smother the nits and I could pick the knots out then. Pick loose an inch, comb out 20 dead nits and eggs. Repeat. Over and over and over. Five weeks. Honestly, I don't think at five weeks she had any eggs or nits left, but I started treatment from the beginning to make sure because it was easier then than let them get reestablished. School never gave a care, so blah.

ladyfey
July 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I used the Fairy Tales line of products, loved them. Especially their lice comb, it worked so much better than the other comb I had been using. If I were to get them form my kids, I would chop my hair, there is no way I could lice comb through all of this! I have never been so thankful to have seborrheic dermatitis, lice prefer a clean scalp and mine never truly is!

Jennwith4
July 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I used the Fairy Tales line of products, loved them. Especially their lice comb, it worked so much better than the other comb I had been using. If I were to get them form my kids, I would chop my hair, there is no way I could lice comb through all of this! I have never been so thankful to have seborrheic dermatitis, lice prefer a clean scalp and mine never truly is!

Never heard of the fairy tales products. I'll have to look for some.

Anje
July 7th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Also, if you have multiple oils at home, according to this (http://www.healthline.com/health/lice-home-remedies#2), oils that you might find useful in your oil mix to treat lice are:

tea tree oil
lavender oil
neem oil
clove oil
eucalyptus oil
aniseed oil
cinnamon leaf oil
red thyme oil
peppermint oil
nutmeg oil

(Bolding mine)

Public service message: It bears mentioning that cinnamon oil can cause chemical burns if not REALLY REALLY diluted. Basically, dilute any EO that's not tea tree or lavender in regular oil before use, and look it up to make sure it's safe to use. Not all of them are.
:blossom:

Jenwith4, I hope it goes well if your hair. Don't be afraid to detangle with a regular comb before you start nit combing. No sense it trying to deal with tangles with the super-fine thing!

GrowingOut
July 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I put the yellow sugarless listerine in my hair over night, washed it out, and never found a little bug in my hair after that. Killed the nits too. You will smell like alcohol for a week though, but that fades.