PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8 problems...

Kittee
September 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Since I've reached hip, I've been having some terrible issues with figure 8's. Its like, too much hair to loop twice around but not enough to loop around 3 times. and then it pokes out over my figure 8 part and when I try to slip my trusty hair combs in or a fork, it always falls. I had no problem with figure 8's before, this is something recent.

Am I at a "in-between" hair stage, like a bob to shoulder length but now I"m "Hip to classic?" Does that make sense?

Zombiekins
September 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think I know what you're talking about... I only recently began wearing figure-8s and it's been a pain to get the hang of them. You could try making your initial bun high up on your head, then pulling the inside loop down. I've found that doing the opposite (low bun with the loop pulled up) always made the whole thing fall no matter what was used to secure it.

As for any bits sticking out...you could try tucking them under and securing with a pin or something. I use one stick for the figure-8, and two of my bent crochet needles (very thin ones) to secure the sides and wrangle any pokey hairs. When pushed in all the way they aren't noticeable.

Hope that helps! Or, you know, is even close to what you're having a problem with.:p

Kittee
September 19th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Nope it made some sense. I'll try doing it "backwards" to how I do it now and see if that helps. Thanks!

Amara
September 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
You also might try doing it sideways (aka infinity bun) - some days when I can't get the up-and-down one to work, the sideways one works. Who knows.

Periwinkle
September 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have similar problems. My hair isn't nearly as long as yours (BSL), but I have layers at weird lengths and my hair likes to poke out of the end - I have enough for two loops and a bit.

I use wavelength pins to pin down the hair. They hold largish chunks by themselves.

Stevy
September 20th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Have you tried making two generous loops, flipping the top loop up, and then wrapping the rest of the length round underneath the waist of the figure-8, kind of like the way you'd wrap the extra under a knot bun when your hair's a bit too long for it? That works better than having two loops at the bottom and one at the top for me, but I think it's one of those things that works better when you have a lot of taper. :flower: