PDA

View Full Version : I combed out a 2+foot dreadlock today...

pogo0685
July 1st, 2014, 10:10 PM
My friend got a horse that had a deadlock for a tail, just one large dread and few wispies out at the top. Today we took a bottle of baby oil and a comb and I combed out her entire tail for her for the first time in god knows how long. I found tumbleweeds and all kinds of thing in there. My friend thought I was crazy when I told her I could help but it only took about an hour and a half with breaks. I was not as gentle as I would have been if it was my own hair, but I didnt have 12 hours to sit and do it so I think for the time I took I was as gentle as could be and we didn't have to cut any of it off, in fact the dread was a good 4 inches off the ground and by the time it was combed out there was 3 or so inches of wispy ends that drag on the ground.

Pictures!
Before (15 minutes into brushing it out):
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10404529_10152463093570210_5908371033062148309_n.j pg

After (sorry its a bit blurry, my oily finger had touched my camera on my phone and I didnt notice until it was to late.
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/q80/s720x720/10483192_10152463096700210_9169133692885975043_n.j pg

Quasiquixotic
July 1st, 2014, 10:36 PM
That's amazing! What a nice thing to do!

Mimione001
July 1st, 2014, 11:49 PM
Very nice job! And so shiney now :)

spidermom
July 2nd, 2014, 08:07 AM
Well done! I would have been afraid of being kicked.

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Awww, that's so sweet! :cheer: Congratulations!

Now for the real question: How on earth did you get the horse to cooperate? There was no risk of getting kicked by your friend's horse? And what products did you use to comb the dreadlock out so fast?

skeletonous
July 2nd, 2014, 08:37 AM
Awesome job! I'm glad you could help :)

Katrine
July 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
You did a great job! The horse's tail was really matted. I bet the horse appreciates it. That must have been uncomfortable. It looks like you combed the mane as well. The horse looks beautiful.

Kaelee
July 2nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Awww, that's so sweet! :cheer: Congratulations!

Now for the real question: How on earth did you get the horse to cooperate? There was no risk of getting kicked by your friend's horse? And what products did you use to comb the dreadlock out so fast?

Depending on the horse....some horses are really, really easy to handle. My friend has one such pony that's just a total sweetheart and never kicks or bites. Any pulling on the tail doesn't hurt a horse NEARLY as bad as it would hurt a human, so even if you're a little rough, it's probably not going to hurt the horse any (that's not to say it never or can't hurt the horse, but in normal circumstances it's unlikely to).

I'm guessing this is one of those really easy to handle horses...I've been around some that you couldn't do this too. :laugh:

NatNat
July 2nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Wow wonderful job :)

sumidha
July 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
Awesome, I bet horse is much happier without a dreadlock. :)

This reminds me of my BF, who used horse detangling serum to comb out his own dreadlocks.

woodswanderer
July 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
That's a beautiful result. I think that horse just gave me hair envy.:D

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
You did a fabulous job and the horse is pretty by the way.

pogo0685
July 2nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone! This horse is a total sweetheart, I also did her mane and she just stood there, the flies were irritating her but other than the flies she was still. I used about a half cup of baby oil. She does not like bottles so I would walk away pour some in my hands, walk back smush it all in and then comb and pull the knots out.

kitana97
July 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Nice skills! It takes me forever to comb out small tangles in my own hair let own a 2 foot dreadlock. I bet the horse was happy ;)

Aurum
July 2nd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Aww, I know how painstaking it is to remove horse hair dreads! You did a terrific job, and I'm sure the horse is so much happier for it. She has lovely hair.

But golly, don't get me started on horse hair. I have Andalusians and they're pretty well known for having super long and thick hair. I just happen to have one with the crazy hair genes... His mane reaches his shoulder point and has enough for a full mane on each side of his neck (if I let it fall like that). His tail is growing a second layer as thick as another whole tail on top! Almost weekly I have to comb dreads out of his mane. He's been called Bob Marley more than once by strangers. But I love him so much and I envy his hair every time I look at it. :)

Loviatar
July 2nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
That's so cool! Gorgeous horse. I've not ridden since a bad accident aged 16 but I still love horses. And that one is a beauty! So kind of you to help with the matted tail. I bet the horse feels better now her tail is cleaner too.

embee
July 2nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
Well done, and horse is so pretty! :)

Feathered
July 2nd, 2014, 09:21 PM
That horse is a beauty! I'd hate to have to tackle that matted tail, but you did a great job. Lucky horse. I would think the horse would be able to tell the difference in some way. It must feel a lot lighter to him/her. Sure looks pretty.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
We always use show sheen on horses tails--the stuff is brutal on anything but the tail---it makes it so slippery, nothing will stick to it! I love your horsey :D

Charybdis
July 3rd, 2014, 06:46 AM
What a gorgeous palomino! Well done on getting her tail sorted out -- I can't imagine letting a horse's tail get into that state. You've done your good deed for the day. :)

meteor
July 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
We always use show sheen on horses tails--the stuff is brutal on anything but the tail---it makes it so slippery, nothing will stick to it! I love your horsey :D

:idea:Hmmm now I'm curious: is that good stuff for extreme slip? I wonder what's in it? Maybe it would work for human hair... at least for detangling extreme tangles/dreadlocks?
Heck, people already use the Mane & Tails and MegaTeks, why not this? :)

PiXiEmandy
July 3rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
that was such a sweet thing to do your so kind.