PDA

View Full Version : major hair shed - regrowth?

hennared
September 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hi all:

I've not been 'round the boards here much, lately, since I've had such a major shed in the past few months; I almost feel I don't
'belong' here, now. But I like it here! :)

I was hoping to perhaps get a bit of feedback from any of you who have experienced a major diffuse hair shed - and experienced a reasonable degree of recovery from it. I'm 42, never had hair loss before; it seems I'm mostly experiencing a major stress event hair shed. It's been ~4 months, now, and still not stopping (sigh). I do seem to be slightly hyPERthyoid, according to my doctor, but not by a large margin.

Anyway, I could use some hopeful stories. I've been spending time on a hairloss board; I think I need to hear from 'the other side'.

Thank you..

Hennared

DMARTINEZ
September 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I too am experiencing a big shed. I think mine is stress=peri-menopause(which is stress
defined). Im feeling a bit of an urge to cut. I just cant handle thinning long hair. I see baby hairs
but doubt they will catch up to fill in. Im just sick of the gobs of hair everywhere. :(

Deb

susiemw
September 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
[quote=hennared;273652 I do seem to be slightly hyPERthyoid, according to my doctor, but not by a large margin.
[/quote]

welcome back!! you most certainly belong here...

now for the big question: what are they doing
to treat your hyperthyroidism?

Susan

ChloeDharma
September 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Please don't think you don't belong here, there are lots of members suffering with hairloss and recovering from it so you very much are not alone. :flower:

I've talked quite a bit about mine, i went through a very stressfull relationship and break-up and my diabetes wasn't controlled well at all which combined caused alot of shedding. Then i got very ill and last april nearly died, leading up to that i had lost a huge amount of hair then afterwards i went through a massive shed from telogen effluvium.
For a long time i felt like my hair would never recover and although i'd talk it up like everything would be fine deep down i felt like it was just wishfull thinking. But, lots of TLC, scalp care, researching ways to enhance growth and it did start growing back. My thickness last time i measured has increased by 150% compared to when my hair was at possibly it's thinnest point.
It does take time, and for ages i didn't even realise that my hair was growing back.
The best advice i can give you is to just wear your hair up, don't keep looking at it, focus on sorting out your thyroid....and maybe look at some of the threads relating to hair growth here, like the essential oils thread or some of the others over on the recipes section. Scalp massage and brushing i also found very helpfull.

Good luck, i really do hope that your shedding slows down very soon :flower:

hennared
September 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Deb - I know what you mean, about tempted to cut. But I have waited all my adult life to get my hair as long as it is now, (23" last I checked) and I am not willing to part with it, just yet! So. I am holding out for hope for some regrowth.

Susan, I'm going back tomorrow to see the doc for the second time and go over the latest round of bloodwork.. he said I was hyperT mainly by my TSH level alone, so it is not quite conclusive yet. I don't seem to 'fit the profile' either, of thyroid troubles.. but that could be a 'yet'.'

Chloe, I thought you might chime in here; as you have on my shedding threads. Thank you! I had no idea, though, that you had gotten so dreadfully sick before your big shed. I am so glad for what sounds like a full and healthy recovery? (I mean of course for more than just hair!) But, yes, your story is very encouraging. Thank you.

Anyone else with an encouraging story, feel free to encourage me :)

Off to do an essential oil scalp massage... (I am using cedarwood, basil, lavender, rosemary, and tea tree in a camellia oil base).

cindy58
September 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I had a big shed that lasted several months from divorce stress. I tried not to get worked up about all the hair dropping while it was happening, knowing that wouldn't help. I know that I was still shedding to some degree during last Sept., I can't remember exactly when it stopped.

For months now (maybe all this year?) I have noticed major regrowth, it was all quite obvious from all the shorter hairs that wouldn't be contained in updos. I'm still somewhat of a fuzzhead, but it's gradually getting longer and staying better in place. A lot of the new hair seems curlier too. I've been surprised by the amount of new hair, actually little tufts in some places -- if I had truly realized how much I was losing during the shed I know I would have been more upset.

So, there is hope -- the hair does come back, and then you have a new set of challenges!

CurlyOne
September 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I had a massive shed about a year ago. I think I lost about half my thickness, it has slowed down but it hasn't totally stopped yet. I ordered Ovation Cello Therapy and used it for the first time today, I think it smells pretty good and it made my hair feel nice. I have heard good things, some people here used it and liked it. I am going to give a review in a month or so after I can see the full effects.

EvaSimone
September 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
:grouphug:

Don't feel like you don't belong on this board lots of people go through sheds.

I went through a period of severe anemia and was shedding clumps of hair until I got it under control. My hair has gained back a lot of the thickness that it lost but it was a terrible and scary time.

Definitely make sure that you get your hyperthyroidism treated if you are having symptoms from it then it's not a "mild" case IMO.

Doctors love to minimize things in my experience. I had been "slightly" anemic for years and my doctor had never even told me because it wasn't a "big deal". Even though I kept telling him that I always felt tired. He only told me I was anemic when my levels bottomed out really low and I could hardly walk up the stairs, if I had been a few points lower I would have needed a transfusion of blood. :rant:

eadwine
September 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
now for the big question: what are they doing
to treat your hyperthyroidism?

It's been my experience that when a doc says "slight" the doc means: this is not bad enough to treat you for it.

I hope it slows down soon!

DiyaC
September 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I had a MASSIVE shed two and a half years ago and my hair is almost back to normal now. I lost about 50% of my hair and I thought I would go completely bald. My hair didn't even cover my scalp fully whatever style I wore. However, protein treatments, vitamin supplements, a big change in my diet to include a lot of green leafy vegetables, adding more iron in my food and minimising stress has reduced the hair fall greatly. In fact, I do still lose hair, but not in clumps as i used to and I believe that if I continue to do all the healthy things I'm doing now, my hair fall will stop completely. I cover my head with a scarf when I travel to prevent tangling and to avoid dust and pollution affecting my scalp. I also wear it in updos most of the time. My hair is now much thicker than before and the texture has also definitely improved since I started taking good care of it.

So Hennared, persevere. Take care of your hair. Don't cut. Be patient. Whatever caused your hair fall, didn't happen over-night and stopping the shed is not going to happen overnight either. Do whatever you can to baby your hair and though you might not see instant results, you will definitely see them in the long run.

bjt
September 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry you're going through a shed. I have been too, for about 3 months. I think mine is due to a medication I'm taking. Could that also be an issue for you?
I fill up at least 2 brush fulls a day (I don't know how else to measure it) but I have fairly thick hair and it doesn't show. So I'm ignoring it for now... well, as much as I can and still pick up gobs of hair off the bathroom floor!

InkAndPaper
September 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry you're going through a shed. I have been too, for about 3 months. I think mine is due to a medication I'm taking. Could that also be an issue for you?
I fill up at least 2 brush fulls a day (I don't know how else to measure it) but I have fairly thick hair and it doesn't show. So I'm ignoring it for now... well, as much as I can and still pick up gobs of hair off the bathroom floor!

In my honest opinion ignoring it is not a good idea. I ignored my hair shed for months before i started noticing my hair thinning, and freaked out. Do what you can do to figure out why its falling and slow it down now, while its not noticable.

To the TC. I am also suffering from an over active thyroid. (thyroiditus?) My doctor says its not full blown hyperthyroidism so its not bad enough to put me on medication. I went to my doctor and explained my symptoms and suggested i was hyperthyroid. I dont know if my doctor got offended for doing his job for him (i wasnt trying to i swear), but he shrugged taht off and said it was stress. But of course the blood test said otherwise. A second blood test a month later revealed i was still a little hyper, but my levels were straightening out, so i have another test in a few weeks to see if im back to normal. By the way, anyone suffering from thyroid problems knows how horrible of an illness it can be.

Anyway, My hair loss has gotten to the point where its noticably thinner and hard to deal with emotionally. Just yesterday i received a bottle of Bhringraj Oil (ayurvedic treatment) i ordered online which strengthens the hair root, and helps create a healthy scalp/hair. It also promotes hair growth (i hope so :pray:). This is my second day using it so of course i cant comment on it now.

I guess my question to the community here is if anyone knows how well this Bhringraj Oil works with promoting hair growth, and how long they noticed a difference. Cheers and hope everyones hair stays full and healthy :P

-first post :) -

TambourineDream
September 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi hennared, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, it is really emotionally draining. :( I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of experience in terms of recovery, since I'm currently also going through quite an upsetting phase of hairloss.
Like EvaSimone, I'm severely anemic and am popping iron pills to try and correct the imbalance. So far not a lot of change :/ but I've heard hair can take months to respond to a change of health, whether positive or negative.

You're definitely not alone here, I really hope it starts getting better for you. Soon you'll be posting advice on how to tame the baby hairs :P

InkAndPaper, that rememdy sounds interesting! I've never heard of it before, but I'd love to know how it works out for you.

jera
September 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I had a massive shed about a year ago. I think I lost about half my thickness, it has slowed down but it hasn't totally stopped yet. I ordered Ovation Cello Therapy and used it for the first time today, I think it smells pretty good and it made my hair feel nice. I have heard good things, some people here used it and liked it. I am going to give a review in a month or so after I can see the full effects.

I hope I don't sound completely stupid asking this, but what exactly s Ovation Cello Thereapy. ( sounds almost like something you listen to ! ):D

hennared
September 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Ink and Paper - welcome! And thanks for the feedback. Pardon the pun on your username, but it sounds like we are on the same page. I can DEFINITELY notice the thinning, and even my boyfriend agrees. My ponytail is about an entire inch smaller in circumference. I am not happy about this. It's been going on, near as I can tell, for 4 months, now.

My blood work says mildly hyperthyroid - mildly - and my bloodwork also says mildly hyperglycemic. My doc is shrugging it off as 'stress', too. I think I need a new doctor.. preferably, an endocrinologist. The GP doc gave me a referral to a dermatologist, but I don't think that's going to help.. I really don't think it's my scalp, it's my insides making my hair fall out! I'm losing ~100 hairs a day to my morning comb out, alone (not counting the ones that roll down my arm during the day) And I do REAL gentle combing with a wide tooth wooden comb. That may not sound like too far out of normal, but is it abnormal for me, this I know; and my hair is definitely noticeably thinner, already. So... no, I can't really ignore it.

-Hennared

hennared
September 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
DivaC - I just saw your reply to my post... thanks for the positive feedback. I am trying to persevere. Hopefully, I will be as lucky (and patient) as you were with your hair. I am babying it, and taking some supplements - though, my diet was and has been, pretty leafy green and full of protein. But my hair... definitely needs to be lying 'just so', or it is obvious my part is widening and there isn't much in the front under the top layer of my long bangs. :( I do see some baby hairs, I think. I hope they hang in there!

(oh and thank you to everyone who responded to my post.. it IS emotionally stressful)

-Hennared

ChloeDharma
September 20th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hennared....yup it was pretty bad and left me with a lingering other illness which is annoying.

InkAndPaper, i use bhringraj oil, and i add the herb to my conditioning mixes quite often. I've found the oil very good for my scalp, but the one i use does also contain other herbs like amla, brahmi etc. There is a thread on the recipes board on bhringraj with a link to a study on it's ability to promote growth. But in the thread title it's botanical name Eclipta Alba is used.

There's another thread i started that you might be interested in on a study on 4 indian herbs used for hair growth....i think they were methi, brahmi, curry leaf and maybe amla.....but that one looks very promising and it gives you exact proportions used too.

Arctic_Mama
September 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
My heart goes out to you, I'm shedding like crazy from the fall and two close pregnancies, I've probably lost a 1/4 of my thickness (which, fortunately, I have plenty of) and it can be really distressing to see so much coming out.

I can only echo what the other ladies have said and send you a big, giant hug. Just treat your hair gently and give yourself a lot of slack. Even thinned out it can still look stunning and healthy, and that will go a long way to detract from any negatives about the thickness.

bjt
September 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM
In my honest opinion ignoring it is not a good idea.

Hi InkandPaper--sorry if I sounded kinda flip. I certainly wasn't implying that the OP or anyone should ignore shedding. In my case, I have to for the time being because not taking my medication is not an option. and I've been through this before, as soon as I can stop the medication, the shedding will stop. So its ok for me to ignore it.

I was only trying to point out that some shedding may be due to medication. that's all! :)

Rzilynt
September 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I hope I don't sound completely stupid asking this, but what exactly s Ovation Cello Thereapy. ( sounds almost like something you listen to ! ):D

I use this product and it does speed up hair growth. http://www.ovationhair.com/

I also use bhringraj oils and Amla. Many others that I know have also taken garlic capsules to slow down hair shed. Alter Ego makes a garlic infused conditioner that reports to reduce hair shed too.

RZ~

chotee
September 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi, I think LHC is the best place to be when we experience something like a major hair-shed. I discovered this wonderful place when i was experiencing a bad hair-fall in 2005. A lot of encouraging people and wonderful ideas made me look after my hair not only externally but also with diet and vitamins. Have you started any vitamin routine? It helps a lot. You could perhaps ask your doctor for the best one. If cannot, improve upon your diet and exercise. My hair length is around 35" and only the upper half is my normal thickness. The second half is my old hair which is not in bad shape but a lot thinner. With frequent trimmings i am looking forward to cut them all off but not in one go. So, you see, it took me almost 5 years but overall i am happy i waited without cutting them off. The wait can be long and tedious because you are not happy looking at your thin hair. But like most people here say, just put it into a bun and forget about it. Focus on other things like your salads, oils and how much exercise and vitamins and days will soon pass and you will have new hair sprouting and thats very encouraging!

all the best

InkAndPaper
September 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Tambourine Dream: My 4th day using it. My scalp seems to feel healthier and maybe the hair root. It just doesnt seem like its on the brink of falling out when i brush my hair anymore. If ive noticed any slowing of my hair fall it isnt enough to credit the Bhringraj oil just yet. It smells good though which i dont know if i should admit cause it seems like it wouldnt attract many customers from the scent alone :p

Hennared: Yes we do seem to be in the same boat. Finally someone who knows what its like :cheese: Anyway I'll see where my levels are after my next blood test and if i need to, ill become the doctor again. My best advice even for me is to get a second opinion if youre unsure or unhappy with how things are progressing.

Also for those who are experiencing over active thyroids, try to cut back from foods like, yogurt, cow milk, (heavy dairy foods), and caffeine. These stimulate the thyroid and are best for people with UNDER active thyroids. (coffee for me is the absolute hardest to stay away from. Im drinking some right now actually.....) On the flip side, eat lots of leafy green vegetables like lettuce, brocoli, etc. These depress the thyroid so are to be avoided if you have an under active thyroid.

Chloe: Thanks for the reply, ill def. look into these threads.

BJT: Not at all. I guess you know what youre doing, but for someone who loves their hair as much as i do, i wouldn't wish any thinning/shedding on anyone :P Thats all

I've also started washing my hair with an all natural shampoo, (yay no chemicals), called "Nourish: Healthy hair shampoo, awaken and replenish". After one wash my hair felt considerably softer, but ive noticed it does this when i change shampoos so time will tell. If anything you cant go wrong with getting rid of those "industrial" chemicals.

-sorry for the novel-

hennared
September 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
I&P - Novels are welcome by me, especially on this thread :) More ideas and things for me to think about. I ordered some Bhringraj oil myself, just yesterday, after reading you and ChloeDharma comment on it! I like this place for Indian herbs - pricey, but they grow many of their own here in the states, and the quality and service are great: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com

Anyway, I have been using natural shampoos (and conditioners) a long time, now.. but my hair condition is very very dry and frizzy, as this shedding thing has been going on. A sign that something is not right, nutritionally, if you ask me (though my nails seem fine - but I could care less about nails! Sigh). Though, I do live in a very hot/arid climate, so that is a factor as well (just moved here in April).

I started using this shampoo, TheraNeem, I really like it; very gentle and my hair texture seems a bit better with it. I also have good results doing the "SMT" treatment so popular here, but it only does true wonders with my hair using Aubrey Organics conditioners.. and they are expensive! And I need to use molasses not honey; my hair hates honey (gets super frizzy from it).

That's my novel for the day; now I am anxiously awaiting my order from Banyan Botanicals! I ordered some amla powder, too. Do you guys think the Bhrigraj oil can be gently heated without effecting its medicinal properties? I was thinking of infusing some of the Amla into the oil....

thanks for 'listening'!
Hennared

ChloeDharma
September 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Another thing about B hringraj i forgot to mention....in a study i was reading they found that combined with certain herbs there was increased growth, but that when the herbs were tested without the Bhringraj, there was still increased growth, but the new growth was quite coarse and not smooth. Adding Bhringraj back to it seemed to produce much softer and smoother hair. I'll have to hunt this study out and edit to add it in here later.

Hennared, i think you probably could heat the oil to add some amla, though what base oil is the Bhringraj macerated in? Coconut or sesame and i'm sure you are safe. If you don't mind heating oils up yourself then it might be an idea to make your own amla/bhringraj mix when the banyan oil runs out.....it certainly is cheaper Hesh do 50g of bhringraj that they call "Maka" usually about £1 or under.

ETA from my perspective novels are very welcome!

LaurelSpring
September 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
I am struggling with some shedding right now. I hear people on the boards talking about their summer shed so I wonder if this is normal or something to worry about. Yesterday I counted between 30 -40 hairs that kind of came out in a clump. This is new for me because before LHC I shampoed every day and my hair was shorter and more layered and I always washed in the shower so if that much was coming out I probably didnt notice it because I did it every day and it went down the drain. Now that I am washing every other day I wonder if it seems like more because I only see it every other day and because its longer it seems like more. Is this a summer shed? How will I know if I need to be concerned? What would you consider a normal shed or a major shed?

Honey39
September 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I had a massive shed about three years ago. Horrible! Anyway, my hair stopped after about two and a half months, and it did all grow back. I have horrendous frizz, but you can see so much new growth. It actually grew back in thicker than it was before - and after being here for three months approximately, my hair feels much thicker still!

I remember researching a LOT about shedding at the time, and to be honest, for most women it will grow back. That really cheered me up. I did take a load of supplements though - everything I read that would help, lol. So, biotin, kelp, brewers yeast, iron. Loads of water. And also I did the thing that helped the most, which was to put it up and forget about it - and that kind of took the panic away.

Don't worry, hair will grow back and it will be GLORIOUS!

ChloeDharma
September 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
LaurelSpring, as hair gets longer then the same amount shed can definately look more. I also find the longer i leave it between washing the more i seem to shed, but every other day really isn't a long time to leave it between washing so i doubt that's causing a problem. I'd see how it goes and not panic yet, as you said, lots of people do go through a sudden increase in shedding when seasons change etc but it usually calms down and isn't a problem :)

hennared
September 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
LaurelSpring - what you are talking about I think is closer to 'normal'. I have been counting anything from 70-110 hairs in my morning comb out for the past few months :O Not all of them long, either (the short ones bother me more, as I feel they should not be 'letting go' already!)

I prefer to comb carefully before washing, by the way, and then I find I only lose a few hairs in the shower.

The thing to really watch out for is how does your hair FEEL. I got really concerned when I realized the volume of my hair was considerably less. I had always shed, before.. but not like this. Also, the texture of my hair has got 'off' - which to me could indicate something nutritionally (or digestively) wrong causing my hair loss.

best,
Hennared

MissHair
September 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
These past 2 months Ive had some major shedding.. Like.. really bad.. I chopped some off to even out the thinning. Dont say that you dont belong here, we all do!

Treecrown
September 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I have lost a lot of thickness over the last few years, but so gradually that I only started to notice it recently. When I braid my hair now, the whole braid is the thickness that each of my two braids were when I was younger. :-( I've been wondering if this is an inevitable condition of aging or if it's a temporary condition and the hair might grow back. This thread has opened my eyes (and given me some hope) but I'm still worried that this might just be it...my hair will get thinner and thinner until I'm an old lady...this is on top of the fact that I've suddenly gone very grey in the last two-three years. I don't get it, c'mon, I'm only 38!!!

sorry for the moaning, didn't mean to hijack the original poster's thread...

hennared
September 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Hi TreeCrown -

Feel free to moan away on my thread; hey, I started the moaning :)

I have also stopped to wonder, has this been going on a long time, and I am only noticing,
now? My hair is a lot longer this past year than it's been in ages... I think thinning is more noticeable on long hair, and surely I started putting it up more often, so I am more prone to notice a change. But, even my friends see the sudden change in my hair vs. 5 months ago. And I KNOW I have been shedding at least 2x as much as I used to. So, I don't think I'm kidding myself. But I do still wonder how much of it is due to aging. (sigh) I certainly wonder if it will come back, some of the thickness I've lost, and if my age will affect my hair's ability to regrow, regardless of the cause of the increased shedding. I suppose it is easy to convince myself if I were younger, my chances of regrowth would be higher.

-Hennared

Treecrown
September 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks, it's nice to have a shoulder to moan on!

I guess everyone's hair ages differently. There are some people on LHC in their 40s, 50s, even 60s who barely have any grey hair and have TONS of hair. Lucky them! What really gets me is that my mom has less grey hair than I do, and probably thicker hair too, in spite of being 23 years older than me and having thyroid issues. Everyone says (about menopause at least) "Well, look at your mom and you'll get a pretty good idea of what to expect." Not always true...

hennared
September 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Oh, you're welcome.

Heh, yesterday I was in line at the drugstore, and both the cashier and the woman in front of me had glorious thick grey hair; the woman in line had it very long; and both of them had to be 10+ years older than I (sigh). I wouldn't even mind f I went all grey, so long as I had my thickness back. No it is just not fair...

I lost my mother when I was 9, so I have no idea what to expect based on your theory :( In fact, I have no contact with that entire side of my family, really! My grandma on my father's side passed away at 88 with thick hair. I was hoping I took after her.

I think we never really know; and there are just so many factors. I am shelling out my own $$ to go see a naturopathic doctor about my hair; it's just upsetting me so much! (and the insurance-covered doctor was pretty useless; 'it's just stress', he says). I am hoping she may have some good advice for me.

kittymomma
September 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
OMG EvaSimone! I have just gone thru the same thing, losing about 50-60 hairs every time I take a shower for almost a YEAR (and I didn't have a ton to start with!) I thought it was perimenopause, but I was only 38 when it started.

I've been anemic in various stages since teens, had weird-weird symptoms nobody could figure out, and finally they compounded until this year I went to a dermatologist and a rheumatologist who both ordered me to go directly to a gastro. Turns out I have Crohn's, which leaches iron due to intestinal ulcerations! And I've had it FOREVER!

My hair has started coming back since I started taking RX iron and mega-biotin. Thank GOODNESS. I just switched from dye to henna to maybe help the process (at least not help more of it fall OUT) but did trim maybe 3 inches or so because it looked SO bad. Not quite as exhausted all the time either, but I'm sure it will take some consistency to get it all in hand. I'd seriously advise anyone who has exhaustion and hair loss simultaneously to get checked for Crohn's...the symptoms aren't always primarily...um...well: :poot:

Hang in there! It sounds like you're on the way!

Rosepatrice
October 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am concerned about my hair loss, also. Sorry to hear about everyone elses'. Mine has been going on for about 6 months. Not to worry, the Dr. says, as all my tests came out normal...but, unfortunetly, I still DO worry, I worry alot about my shedding. My hair was about 31/2 inches thick, now it's gone down to not even one inch. Yes, it is a concern, for sure.

It would be a real treat if some of the long haired people who are not experiancing any hair loss to a huge extent to give us their ideas...it would help alot.

I am cautious about taking loads of supplements, as I do not know what they will do to my body down the road..and I don't know if I should take that chance. Everyone is so different, and what will work for some, could be disasterous for another...

Silicon is supposed to work on the hair and skin, and also MSM, which I am allergic to. I am allergic to all sulfer.

Well, I am trying to watch my diet as I know that what i eat has a great impact on hair health...watching the junk food, and eating alot of greens at each meal and avoiding as much stress as possible.

Hopefully, other will chime in to help us poor souls out!!!:eyebrows:

julya
October 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
I had a big shed earlier this year. I think it was mostly stress related, but at first I was blaming it on a medication (wellbutrin) I had just started about the time I noticed the hair loss. Thankfully, it has slowed down considerably now. I haven't yet noticed any significant amount of new hairs growing in, but I still have hope! The shed started to slow down at the start of the summer, so it's only been a few months. I didn't make any changes to my routine that seemed to stop the shed, it just stopped on its own. I tried going back to WO washing, but it didn't seem to have an impact at all for me.

I was feeling so down about my hair, and then feeling guilty for feeling that way. I think it helps to spend time here at LHC because we all understand the hair obsession.

ilovelonghair
October 3rd, 2008, 04:04 AM
I had a major shed early this year, but it grew back. I have lots of short hairs that are finally getting into my ponytail (if I tie it on top of my head) so the ponytail feels thicker now.
In the past years I have had sheds that were on one spot only (right in the middle near my forehead and visible!) but those bald-ish spots grew back too.
So I guess your hair will grow back, it just takes time.

hennared
October 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the added replies... Julya and ilovelonghair, how long did your shed periods last, if I may ask? Mine is now on 5 months .. eek! but I did just see a really good dermatologist, and she says she sees lots of new growth. Trouble is, I am shedding shorties, too.. so I am still concerned. My dr. ordered a bunch of tests; only thing out of whack is very low progesterone... and pretty low estrogen, too. I'm now on the cream and Vitex (herb for assisting female hormone production). and of course, watching the nutrition and vitamins. Hope that is the 'trick' for me. Right now, I can wait for the shorties to grow in, but I need to get em to stay up there!

augustspy
October 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the added replies... Julya and ilovelonghair, how long did your shed periods last, if I may ask? Mine is now on 5 months .. eek! but I did just see a really good dermatologist, and she says she sees lots of new growth. Trouble is, I am shedding shorties, too.. so I am still concerned. My dr. ordered a bunch of tests; only thing out of whack is very low progesterone... and pretty low estrogen, too. I'm now on the cream and Vitex (herb for assisting female hormone production). and of course, watching the nutrition and vitamins. Hope that is the 'trick' for me. Right now, I can wait for the shorties to grow in, but I need to get em to stay up there!

Hennared- Boy can I relate. Just read your whole thread. So sorry! I am now 49. My first shedding event began when I was 42. It followed a huge stress. Did you say you moved? This might so it. It sounds like a TE when it lasts 5-6 plus months. And shorts are shed with it. I also had low E and P levels. It was the beginning of peri for me. Have you had any changes in your cycle?

AG

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/growhair/

julya
October 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think that my shed lasted for about 6 months, but it may have been longer because I didn't notice right away. I lost about 1 inch in the ponytail circumference measurement, and I haven't checked lately to see if it's changed. I hope those hormone supplements help. Now that you mention supplements, I am pretty sure that I was lax in taking my multi vitamin and biotin supplements during the shed.

Rosepatrice
October 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've noticed that even though my hair loss is alot, the pace at which my hair grows has become very rapid... what a strange thing!!

SInce I started eating close to two pounds of leafy greens daily, the growth rate has been astounding, really noticable when I stick to the greens everyday. Because before the greens daily, my hair barely grew four inches in a year!!!!!! No Kidding!!

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food, so they say!!!

hennared
October 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Augustspy - Interesting the same thing happened to you at the same age, with the same off-hormones. OK, maybe not so odd (peri. being present). My cycles started getting weird actually about a year ago; severe cramping (which I never had before) with heavy flow some months, or virtually non-existent flow other months. I seem to be having shorter cycles, too.

I suppose I can only _hope_ it is as 'simple' as the low p, and that I'll literally 'grow out of it'. it's the start of 5 months into the shed for me, and I am starting to get anxious. I would like to see the shed numbers go back to normal! I do see new growth, but I need the shed to slow down, or I'll never catch up (sigh).

you said at 42 you had your _first_ shedding event, so I gather more events came later. Do you feel you regained your hair thickness in between, some?

hennared
October 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
hi Rosepatrice - Actually, I know Just what you mean about slow hair growth.. mine grew super slow for _years_ as you describe. When I shifted my diet about 2 or so years ago to more protein and more greens, it finally, finally grew. It was the longest it's been since I was a child just recently - and then began this dreadful shed. Oh, the irony....

Since I moved (April) and the shed began (May), it's been definitely tougher to eat as well. I moved to the desert, and fresh orgainc greens are REALLY difficult to find, in the quantities I was used to in Northern California. Thanks for reminding me I need to seek them out. I think my hair needs them!

LaurelSpring
October 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I posted this on the castor oil for heair thread but I wanted to also mention it here. I have been going through an unusual shed for a couple of months now that has been freaking me out. I read a post that putting castor oil on your eyelashes made them grow longer and thicker so I started doing that and it worked. I wondered about putting it on my head and then I saw that thread so I tried it. After only a couple times of trying it the most amazing thing happened. After my wash I went to run my hand down my hair and get the usual disturbing handfull of hair and there was NO SHED! I was so amazed. As you can imagine I am going to keep doing this. I mix castor oil and EVOO and rub it on my scalp at night.

Rain76
November 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have as bad a problem as excessive shedding: excessive breakage. It is just as traumatic to comb my hair out & see all these little hairs flying up in the air ALL OVER my head:( I also have noticeable hair thinning at the crown & temples.

Elenna
November 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
For the past two months, I've been shedding.

I am investigating mixtures of oils and/or essential oils. Some ideas are rosemary, sage, thyme, cedar wood, rosemary, neem, almond, jojoba, etc. Interesting about the castor oil.

There are several potions such as Dr. Hauschka Neem Hair Oil, Chrome Dome, and Mt Rose Herbs Secret Hair Oil. I think that Nightshade has an oil mix. I seem to remember that Igor has a hair growth recipe. There is an article on LHC about Herbs & Essential Oils by SarieQ. Catgirl36 has a hair oil mix with just about everything in it!

I've been trying vitamins and shampoos so far, etc.

Something has to work!
I feel so :justy:

Nightshade
November 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
For the past two months, I've been shedding.

I am investigating mixtures of oils and/or essential oils. Some ideas are rosemary, sage, thyme, cedar wood, rosemary, neem, almond, jojoba, etc. Interesting about the castor oil.

There are several potions such as Dr. Hauschka Neem Hair Oil, Chrome Dome, and Mt Rose Herbs Secret Hair Oil. I think that Nightshade has an oil mix. I seem to remember that Igor has a hair growth recipe. There is an article on LHC about Herbs & Essential Oils by SarieQ. Catgirl36 has a hair oil mix with just about everything in it!

I've been trying vitamins and shampoos so far, etc.

Something has to work!
I feel so :justy:

Hang in there!

Here's the link to the Essential Oils for Hair Loss and Shedding thread :) Lots of the oil mixes you mentioned are in the first post!
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)

Rhabhekkha
November 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've lost about half the thickness of my hair after two pregnancies. After each one I lost HUGE amounts, and now I'm feeling a bit thin! I am already seeing some improvement, though... now that all the "new fringe" is lengthening a bit and starting to add oomph to the long parts (instead of looking like someone went crazy on me with scissors and curling iron) the overall look and feel is getting better.

It's interesting, I visitited this forum once before a couple of years ago, and didn't feel like I "belonged" because my hair wasn't as nice as others were describing. :shrug: I am joinin in this time, though--I hope the feeling of not belonging will pass for you, too! :)

evian
November 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
my hair is now quater the thickness it was when was younger. recently i have been having more than usual shedding, this is how i found this site. it is now my mission to grow back the hair that i have lost and keep the ones that are there firmly on my scalp. i have started with this big vitamn regime and am eating more greens. rosepatrice can you clarify what you mean by greens please. because in england well atleast in my local supermarket i can only get spring greens which comes out undigested sorry-tmi, so i guess am not absorbing the nutrients.the only other greens know is spinach. i would really appreciate tips from you on how to cook and eat them as iam also a great believer in medicne in food.

jacqueline101
September 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm shedding myself for some reason. I started adding things to my routine and I think mines a reaction to something I've caused.

PetuniaBlossom
September 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I experienced a big shedding when I switched over to CO (Conditioner Only) washing. I thought it was just a normal adjustment thing and I could wait it out, try different brands of conditioner, etc. But it didn't stop and then I got really scared and switched back over to CWC (Condition-Wash-Condition) and the unusual shedding stopped at once!
In order to stimulate regrowth, I've started adding castor oil to my coconut oil for the overnight soaking before I CWC (about every 4 days.)
It's only been a few weeks but I THINK I'm beginning to see more new hairs coming in.

augustspy
September 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
jacqueline101,

What did you add to your protocol exactly?

Eileen

Ambystoma
September 3rd, 2012, 01:08 AM
Since a lot of people are mentioning multivitamins and supplements - I thought I'd share my cautionary tale to prevent others making the same mistake I did :(

Please watch how much vitamin A you are getting, and be careful not to exceed the recommended daily dose as it can cause hair loss when taken in excess!

Years ago, I started taking fish oil capsules to help with my acne prone skin. The bottle said take 1 - 3 capsules a day, but I was only taking 1 since I'm not a very big person. Within a few months, I had lost so much hair (huge clumps in the shower, on my brush, and always lots of loose ones coming away when I ran my fingers through it) that my parting and the top of my head were starting to alarm me. I went to my GP, since I hadn't realised what was causing it and I have a huge family history of hypothyroid. She said (eyeing my MBL hair) "Oh, well it's because your hair is so long that it's too heavy to stay attached to your scalp - that's why it's falling out." :rolleyes: Yeah, ok lady. I researched on my own, pinned down the culprit and within a couple of months of ceasing to take extra vitamin A I had a cute little halo of baby fuzzies and no more clogged shower drain - so please make sure you watch how much you are getting from your diet and supplements combined!:blossom:

augustspy
September 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks so much for sharing this! Ditto for me, but mine with with Cod liver Oil and Retin A .1% both. I also had a lot of bang and top of the scalp loss, but all over heavy shedding too. About 2 months after figuring it out getting off both, I went for a Vit A liver test (stored in liver) and found I was out of range high. Like you, my hair did come back, but the strong Retin A dried out the oil gland in the bang follicles, including the other hard hit places, and these areas, even 3 years later, continue to produce dried out and weak looking hairs mixed with healthy hairs. This will probably never get right. I do take fish oil caps, 2000 mg a day, but stay away from the Vit A rich CLO and any vitamin that has this. I credit a Hawaiian Spirulina I take daily, with helping thicken up my hair and it's rich in carotenoids, the colorful precursor to Vit A, yet not the same thing and not related to hair loss. That's as far as I'll go anymore.

Eileen

Since a lot of people are mentioning multivitamins and supplements - I thought I'd share my cautionary tale to prevent others making the same mistake I did :(

Please watch how much vitamin A you are getting, and be careful not to exceed the recommended daily dose as it can cause hair loss when taken in excess!

Years ago, I started taking fish oil capsules to help with my acne prone skin. The bottle said take 1 - 3 capsules a day, but I was only taking 1 since I'm not a very big person. Within a few months, I had lost so much hair (huge clumps in the shower, on my brush, and always lots of loose ones coming away when I ran my fingers through it) that my parting and the top of my head were starting to alarm me. I went to my GP, since I hadn't realised what was causing it and I have a huge family history of hypothyroid. She said (eyeing my MBL hair) "Oh, well it's because your hair is so long that it's too heavy to stay attached to your scalp - that's why it's falling out." :rolleyes: Yeah, ok lady. I researched on my own, pinned down the culprit and within a couple of months of ceasing to take extra vitamin A I had a cute little halo of baby fuzzies and no more clogged shower drain - so please make sure you watch how much you are getting from your diet and supplements combined!:blossom:

Theobroma
September 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Hennared, is there any chance that something in your haircare routine could be causing or contributing to the shedding?

I'm asking because last year I lost what must have been 40% of my thickness to excessive shedding that stopped DEAD IN ITS TRACKS when I quit CO-washing. The shedding didn't start immediately when I started CO -- if it had, I'd have stopped then and there as I was still regrowing from an earlier (nutrition-related, fixable and fixed) shed at the time. It increased gradually and I only realised far too late that it had been at abnormal levels for some time. When I switched back to shampoo my shedding stopped immediately.

Oils directly on my scalp also make me shed. I can't do castor oil treatments for growth because I lose a handful of hair every time I put the stuff on my scalp. I don't even use superfatted hair soaps because even those make me shed more than I normally do. Apparently the best way to ensure that my hair stays on my head is to leave my scalp alone as much as possible!

angelgypsy
September 9th, 2012, 11:50 AM
So glad I found this thread. I have the same problem, and this is helping me think of what I might be doing. I have been shedding heavily for the past, I'm not sure how long, but it's been a long time. Past couple of years at least. It seems like I was shedding more than normal. I'd read that normal was 50-100 hairs a day. I was shedding that every time I brushed or combed and washed my hair. I was getting that just running my hands through my hair.

Finally, about a week or so ago, it stopped. No more massive shedding just the normal 20 hairs here and there, maybe a bit more after a brush or a wash.

I'm not sure but I THINK I have new growth coming in. What I do know is that I have about half the thickness I had before. On the other hand, since being here and trying some of the things I've read about here, my hair is smoother and softer and feels healthier.

Before I started reading here I was just using regular color safe shampoo and conditioner, and when I ran low of several different kinds I had I poured them all together in bigger pump bottles so I could use them all up. I think they dried my hair out too much and made it frizzy but I wasn't trying to learn how to take care of it, I was just letting it be and trying to be cheap! LOL

Now I'm trying a few different things. I already stretched shampoos and didn't wash every day, because of the drying effects on my scalp and hair. Instead I've started to do CO washing in between shampoos which are done after heavier oilings or deep treatments. I tried an egg wash as well, which seemed to help my hair a lot. I like coconut oil and have plain unrefined (Parachute brand from a local ethnic grocery) as well as Vatika coconut oil which is coconut oil blended with other herbs meant to be good for hair. Also from the ethnic grocery. I am interested in trying some experimenting with various oils and herb powders that I got from the grocery this week that I've read about here. I need to do more research on those things first before I start messing with them but I'm interested in anything that might help my growth or at least help protect my existing hair.

I've also added some supplements to my pill regimen in hopes of adding any nutrients I'm not getting from my diet. Although I do try to eat a healthy diet, I know I'm not getting everything from it that I should be. I've tried to keep it in moderation and not go overboard. So far I've switched from a general multivitamin to a hair/skin/nails multi, which had a similar blend. Then I added a B complex, a C&E capsule (to hopefully help the iron I was already taking absorb better), evening primrose oil, MSM, and bee pollen.

Since I already take a bunch of other pills in a regular regimen, for my heart condition and depression, it is easy for me to keep up with these by just adding them to the pill box I already use.

I have some Kirk's castile coconut oil soap, all natural. I tried it on my hair one time and it seemed to do a good job of cleaning it gently. I still need to condition but I'm thinking I'll use that instead of regular shampoo when I do need to clarify.

Now if I can just hang on to what I've got... >_>

MsBubbles
September 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I'm happy to report that after 2 very large sheds within a year, and going from 3.25" circ to 2.5" circ, my baby hair regrowth is now long enough to where my circumference is on the way back up again (almost at 3" again), and I have bangs! The last shed left my hairline so sparse at the front I actually had a suntan line where my hair used to be. THAT was scary.

Large shedding like that really is a special kind of demoralization. I hope you can figure out what's going on, Hennared. Don't underestimate the power of an out-of-whack thyroid and effects thereof on your hair. I'm fighting hypothyroidism but I think I'm making progress. Both ends of the thyroid-function spectrum can play havoc with hair. Good luck! :blossom:

Mesmerise
September 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just wanted to point out that this is a REALLY OLD thread, so I'm not sure replying to the OP is helpful (I didn't notice either, until I saw a post where someone said they were 38 and according to their stats they're now 42).

Anyway, for those going through shedding, I can REALLY sympathise. I've had two big sheds over the past couple of years, my circumference is pathetic and my ends look terrible (despite cutting off 9" or so last year).

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel as my shedding has STOPPED and I now seem to be losing hardly any hair (well, of course, I lose SOME by my tangle teezer is never stuffed full of hair after brushing now).

I suppose only time will tell what my circumference ends up being when the hair eventually starts growing back! (I have no reasonable baseline circumference as I joined LHC after shedding).

MsBubbles
September 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Oh no. not again! I wonder why it was resurrected? Oh well. Maybe somebody will benefit from what people wrote!

angelgypsy
September 10th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I'm going backward through the list of threads trying to find interesting info, as I just recently joined, but I'm not the one that revived it. I'm of the mind that I'd rather join into an existing thread (even an old one) than start a new one but I suppose it does make sense to just start fresh as well.

MapleAsh
September 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hello Ladies,

wondering if anyone is experiencing a horrendous shedding these days. I am. I hope we can gather and support each other until we get our beautiful crowns back again!
My story in short: I am 24 and have always had a massive and thick hair, almost looked like a lion, everyone asked if it was real and no wonder I was very proud and loved it.
Then, from January til June I went through an excessively stressful period, broke up with a guy I was crazy for (also found out that he had a kid in sercet), was writing my dissertation and studying for my finals like crazy. I was with the books day and night, barely went out, lost my appetite, hardly had 600 calories a day for long weeks. Then, it got better for a short period, then it started again. No vitamins, not much joy, only the self-accusations for how silly I was and that now, I have to prove how worthy I am. In addition I went running every night to try to reduce stress, but even while running, my head was full of problems and couldnt relax, instead, got rid of more energy and by the end of June I was totally worn-out. I did succeed on my finals but did it worth? The answer is defo a big no-no! It was in May that I realised the bad shedding and that my hair was significantly thinner. one night looking at the mirror I realised that my scalp is getting more visible at certain parts, I started panicking that I will go bald. I also lost around 3 kgs and looked like someone who'd been tortured, the shadow of my old self, full of worries, doubts, stress. But my exchange prog was then already arranged for the summer, I was going to Spain that has always been a big dream but I couldnt be happy, all I was doing is looking in the mirror, counting the follicles I was shedding and browsing for treatments. I strated buying the so called over-advertised wonder products and was assured by beauty therapists that it wont just go away on its own or from eating more healthily, i'd need a thorough checkout, I'd have to enroll on their super vitamin therapies, use their products which all seemed a big rip off but I was desperate. Still, I tried to do it on my way, bought herbal products, Forcapil caps and spray, nettle etc.. Everyone warned me not to expect results in 24 hrs as the damage that I caused myself lasted at least 6 months, so the recovery period would be just as much if not double time. I couldnt wait, I needed my old appearance for summer. I arrived to Spain, it was all amazing but I could hardly enjoy a single moment for I always remenbered how awful I look and how my self esteem and confidence had been ripped by this wicked hair thinning. Regarding the diagnosis I set up for myself I was pretty certain I had telogen effluvium. 95% of the articles and journals I read (and I read A LOT!!) assured me that this is a temporary condition and as soon as the triggers are removed hair will start regrowing, but it can take up to 6-8 months or even more they said.. Gosh I thought, nearly a year? I'll certainly go bald during that time, and I cant work, I cant study, I cant enjoy life like this. Those who went or going through the same know exactly what I mean..This is neither hysteria nor about excessive pride, at all.
They (articles, books, doctors) all said that soon, in appx 2 months I shall see new sprouts growing from my scalp and If I see them there's no need to worry, all I have to do is to eat plenty of healthy stuff, 5 times a day, and everything! No restrictions, meat, veggies, fruits, carbohydrates, protein (!!!) chocolate, red wine and take supplements. And the most important is to reduce stress because stress doesn not only causes shedding on its own but burns an extreme amount of calories each day and therefore the essential vitamins and nutrients cant absorbe and cant support normal hair growing cycle. This is all true. Hair is not an essential part in the functioning of our bodies and to stay alive, so if we are suffering from any nutritional deficiencies, our primary organs (heart, liver etc) will receive the essential nutrients first. Pretty logical, isn't it?
So, now nearly 6 months have passed, I've had my tonsilles taken out, visited every possible doctor I could, and although there are weird things on my blood test, judging from the shape of the bulbs that have fallen out I can say that its 80-90 pct that it was all caused by the starving and stress. How do I know? I've read that if the white keratin bulbs on the end of the follicles resemble to an exclamation mark or hooked then most probably this is a sign of some deficiency.
The shedding has not stopped but I can see little baby hairs coming up. (some of them also fall out though) I wouldnt say that it is a major regrowth but at least something is finally happening. As many hairs are still coming out it is obvious that I'll not have my old hair back withing 2 or 3 months but the ones that are already dead are not likely to resurrect, instead I concentrate on growing the new ones that are the sign of the fact that things will be okay and there IS an end of this nightmare! In the meantime I've bought some extensions that I sewed on a strap (I'll post pics!) so it looks denser when I wear it but doesnt damage hair as normal extensions do.
So, dear you, if you are suffering from TE, know that it will b***** stop and will come back if you get your system back to balance.
Some people emphasize the importance of external hair care, but my humble opinion is that if the whole thing was caused by an internal factor it needs to be cured internally.
So, I'd sum up what I found vital or helpful in this awful struggle, here we go:
1, a blood test is a must!!!!
2, A good vitamin supplement alongside Forcapil (dont buy the spray, its useless, at least it was for me, but the capsules are good!)
3, a balanced diet with enough fatty acids, greens, fuits, and the things you love! Don't deprive yourself anything you are craving for, chocolate and red wine are good for you!!!( of course we all have to know our limits)
4, Vitamin Bs !!!
5, wholewheat stuff, fish, dried fruits, nuts
6, Lush soap shampoo and an average conditioner (but not to the scalp!)
(+ never blow dry or brush! try to separate the follicles gently and stay in a warm place until it gets totally dry!)
7, happiness, a care for each other and support

I Do hope I could help someone, eagerly awaiting your stories and replies ladies, from all around the world!!

A big hug to all! Love, MapleAsh

MapleAsh
September 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Hello Ladies,

wondering if anyone is experiencing a horrendous shedding these days. I am. I hope we can gather and support each other until we get our beautiful crowns back again!
My story in short: I am 24 and have always had a massive and thick hair, almost looked like a lion, everyone asked if it was real and no wonder I was very proud and loved it.
Then, from January til June I went through an excessively stressful period, broke up with a guy I was crazy for (also found out that he had a kid in sercet), was writing my dissertation and studying for my finals like crazy. I was with the books day and night, barely went out, lost my appetite, hardly had 600 calories a day for long weeks. Then, it got better for a short period, then it started again. No vitamins, not much joy, only the self-accusations for how silly I was and that now, I have to prove how worthy I am. In addition I went running every night to try to reduce stress, but even while running, my head was full of problems and couldnt relax, instead, got rid of more energy and by the end of June I was totally worn-out. I did succeed on my finals but did it worth? The answer is defo a big no-no! It was in May that I realised the bad shedding and that my hair was significantly thinner. one night looking at the mirror I realised that my scalp is getting more visible at certain parts, I started panicking that I will go bald. I also lost around 3 kgs and looked like someone who'd been tortured, the shadow of my old self, full of worries, doubts, stress. But my exchange prog was then already arranged for the summer, I was going to Spain that has always been a big dream but I couldnt be happy, all I was doing is looking in the mirror, counting the follicles I was shedding and browsing for treatments. I strated buying the so called over-advertised wonder products and was assured by beauty therapists that it wont just go away on its own or from eating more healthily, i'd need a thorough checkout, I'd have to enroll on their super vitamin therapies, use their products which all seemed a big rip off but I was desperate. Still, I tried to do it on my way, bought herbal products, Forcapil caps and spray, nettle etc.. Everyone warned me not to expect results in 24 hrs as the damage that I caused myself lasted at least 6 months, so the recovery period would be just as much if not double time. I couldnt wait, I needed my old appearance for summer. I arrived to Spain, it was all amazing but I could hardly enjoy a single moment for I always remenbered how awful I look and how my self esteem and confidence had been ripped by this wicked hair thinning. Regarding the diagnosis I set up for myself I was pretty certain I had telogen effluvium. 95% of the articles and journals I read (and I read A LOT!!) assured me that this is a temporary condition and as soon as the triggers are removed hair will start regrowing, but it can take up to 6-8 months or even more they said.. Gosh I thought, nearly a year? I'll certainly go bald during that time, and I cant work, I cant study, I cant enjoy life like this. Those who went or going through the same know exactly what I mean..This is neither hysteria nor about excessive pride, at all.
They (articles, books, doctors) all said that soon, in appx 2 months I shall see new sprouts growing from my scalp and If I see them there's no need to worry, all I have to do is to eat plenty of healthy stuff, 5 times a day, and everything! No restrictions, meat, veggies, fruits, carbohydrates, protein (!!!) chocolate, red wine and take supplements. And the most important is to reduce stress because stress doesn not only causes shedding on its own but burns an extreme amount of calories each day and therefore the essential vitamins and nutrients cant absorbe and cant support normal hair growing cycle. This is all true. Hair is not an essential part in the functioning of our bodies and to stay alive, so if we are suffering from any nutritional deficiencies, our primary organs (heart, liver etc) will receive the essential nutrients first. Pretty logical, isn't it?
So, now nearly 6 months have passed, I've had my tonsilles taken out, visited every possible doctor I could, and although there are weird things on my blood test, judging from the shape of the bulbs that have fallen out I can say that its 80-90 pct that it was all caused by the starving and stress. How do I know? I've read that if the white keratin bulbs on the end of the follicles resemble to an exclamation mark or hooked then most probably this is a sign of some deficiency.
The shedding has not stopped but I can see little baby hairs coming up. (some of them also fall out though) I wouldnt say that it is a major regrowth but at least something is finally happening. As many hairs are still coming out it is obvious that I'll not have my old hair back withing 2 or 3 months but the ones that are already dead are not likely to resurrect, instead I concentrate on growing the new ones that are the sign of the fact that things will be okay and there IS an end of this nightmare! In the meantime I've bought some extensions that I sewed on a strap (I'll post pics!) so it looks denser when I wear it but doesnt damage hair as normal extensions do.
So, dear you, if you are suffering from TE, know that it will b***** stop and will come back if you get your system back to balance.
Some people emphasize the importance of external hair care, but my humble opinion is that if the whole thing was caused by an internal factor it needs to be cured internally.
So, I'd sum up what I found vital or helpful in this awful struggle, here we go:
1, a blood test is a must!!!!
2, A good vitamin supplement alongside Forcapil (dont buy the spray, its useless, at least it was for me, but the capsules are good!)
3, a balanced diet with enough fatty acids, greens, fuits, and the things you love! Don't deprive yourself anything you are craving for, chocolate and red wine are good for you!!!( of course we all have to know our limits)
4, Vitamin Bs !!!
5, wholewheat stuff, fish, dried fruits, nuts
6, Lush soap shampoo and an average conditioner (but not to the scalp!)
(+ never blow dry or brush! try to separate the follicles gently and stay in a warm place until it gets totally dry!)
7, happiness, a care for each other and support

I Do hope I could help someone, eagerly awaiting your stories and replies ladies, from all around the world!!

A big hug to all! Love, MapleAsh

kittymallow
September 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hello MapleAsh :)
I am to experiencing a terrible shed. It started in the middle of april, and still have not stopped. Last year in october i started on the medicine Roaccutane ( Isotretonoin) to fight my acne, and i have never in my life had this beautiful skin before. The side effects was crazy, and my body and scalp was SO dry and sore, and i could not wait to be done with the treatment. about two months after i stopped taking the medicine, my hair just startet to fall out like crazy! Since i am working as a hairdresser i immediatly started usin Nioxin Treatments, but i had no results. I started taking vitamin b, but nothing happened, and the doctor told me my iron levels were to low, so i started taking iron supplements. So here i am, taking iron, hair vitamins, fish oil, cocout oil and garlic pills, hoping to stop the shed.The one thing that actually has HELPED, is actually garlic oil. I cut a clove of garlig in pieces, add it to some coconut oil and let it infuse for some time, then add it to my scalp and let it sit for an hour before i wash my hair. This has reduced the shedding a good amount, but i have to do it atleast every other wash. And i have never ever smelled like garlic afterwards.!! I have also started to get a halo of small babyhairs, and in the morning i look like i have gotten an electro shock :P so the hairs are coming back :)

My hair is really fine to, so it is almost transparent in my face-framing layers. Some days i cry myself to sleep, because it is so emotional horrible, and i feel nobody understand me. Most people are just telling me it is ony hair! To me it is not just hair, and i know that you guys here understand me!

Lots of love, Kittymallow <3

aksown
September 11th, 2013, 02:45 PM
3 1/2 years ago the baby girl that I was raising died 9 days before her first birthday. 3 months later my hair started falling out in clumps. 6 months ago I finally noticed that I was regaining thickness. My ponytail circumference was less than an inch, now it's 2 1/4 inches. :) Last year I was introduced to Matt Stone of 180 Degree Health and started working to heal my thuggish thyroid through lifestyle changes. It helped tremendously although I am not fully healed. I hope you can find out the root of your shedding. In the meantime, :grouphug:

Edited: Didn't realize this was an old thread. oops

AmyBeth
September 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I started trying to grow out to terminal in late 2011 with very very fine thin hair. In May 2012 I started a very terrifying stress shed, just handfuls and handfuls. I couldn't even touch my hair without losing 4-5 strands. I really didn't have any hair to spare! The shed continued for about 4 months. I followed a lot of the advice I discovered here on LHC and within 6 months, even with that huge shed my hair had increased pony circumference and lot more body. I was surprised that a person could lose so much hair and still not become noticeably balding. If needed, I hope you can treat your thyroid issue. Baby your hair. There is so much good knowledge here. You kind of have to sift through it to find out what works for you. In a lot of cases, your age shouldn't be an issue. I'm older that you, and I have nicer hair than I've ever had. In my younger years, I could never get past BCL. I'm very hopeful that this time I'll get to classic with a respectable hemline.

AmyBeth
September 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm heartsick at your loss.
3 1/2 years ago the baby girl that I was raising died 9 days before her first birthday. 3 months later my hair started falling out in clumps. 6 months ago I finally noticed that I was regaining thickness. My ponytail circumference was less than an inch, now it's 2 1/4 inches. :) Last year I was introduced to Matt Stone of 180 Degree Health and started working to heal my thuggish thyroid through lifestyle changes. It helped tremendously although I am not fully healed. I hope you can find out the root of your shedding. In the meantime, :grouphug:

Edited: Didn't realize this was an old thread. oops

PolarCathy
September 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I've been losing hair since the beginning of July, up to 700 a day. More than a third of my hair is gone by now. Frankly I feel rather miserable. I don't see the end yet... The reasons are complex, it would be too long here what and why, looong story.

Docs didn't take me seriously. I had to fight to get a blood test in the first place, then they didn't test my iron levels correctly anyway (they tested only the blood count) so I had to push for yet another test. Then finally numbers came back and my serum ferritin level is 26 (on a 13-150 scale), while my blood count is normal (close to the high end) on both tests so the second doc didn't label me as anemic either. In fact, he says there's no medical reason whatsoever for me to shed other than physical and psychological stress -- but that number, my SF level means the iron stores in my body are depleted.

It makes no sense to ask him to put me on iron or anything at this point, or to test my thyroid correctly (not just the TSH) because they just won't do it. I'll do the iron thing by myself; I've spent days (net) by reading up on dosages, how to do it safely, etc. then I'll get another blood test in my home country in three months when I go home for Christmas. (And I'll also get a proper thyroid test.)

I just want to play it safe with the iron. It's very dangerous to go overboard on that one. But with this low SF I don't think I can hurt myself anytime soon with the iron supplements I take so I'll just do it because no one else cares. Then I'll see if the shedding slows down. According to multiple sources I've wasted my past few days with, the SF levels have to reach 70 (in other sources, 50) in a menstruating woman to prevent hair loss/for the shedding to slow down, and have to stay over 70, but rather 90-100+ for three months before regrowth happens.

By the way I tried to stop this sh*t with topical garlic; garlic has always helped me in the past with shedding. Not this time. This is something more serious. Ugh!

Northerner
September 15th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Hi Ambystoma, I wish I read your post earlier! I have been experiencing heavy hair loss in the past three months, and my dermatologist believes that it may be due to hypervitaminosis A. I was taking about 10,000IU per day (maximum allowable limit for adults) over the last 9 months. The first three months was fish oil (5,000IU) plus 5,000IU of Vit A in multivitamins Maxi Hair. By the end of month 3 I developed angular cheilitis, which I know now may have been the result of excessive Vit A, and which went away after I stopped taking the multivitamins. The next 3 months I took 5,000IU of fish oil only, then I started on 10,000IU in Vit A, which is when the hair loss started. I asked in the Hair Loss Support thread today how long it takes for the hair shed to stop once Vit A is discontinued - I now have my answer from your post. It may take longer for me though since it sounds like I took Vit A for longer than you did, and I am a small person (4'10").