PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen on your hair?

Jennwith4
July 1st, 2014, 11:59 AM
I was researching how best to prevent split ends when I came across one tip that said to look for a hair product with sunscreen or just add a little of it yourself to your hair to protect from sun damage. Anyone here ever hear of this or do it themselves?

Johannah
July 1st, 2014, 12:11 PM
One thing I absolutely hate about sunscreen is to get it into my hair. I think it's absolutely gross and it makes my hair extremely. Personally I use a liquid spray with UV protection it it, and a hat.

Larki
July 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
I do, I have a spray bottle filled with water and a tablespoon of sunscreen, plus a little leave-in conditioner. I'm not sure if it really protects my hair itself, but it keeps my scalp from burning and my hair feels less dry after being in the sun for hours than it otherwise would. It doesn't make my hair greasy at all - in fact I've full-on put sunblock on my hair before, and my hair looked fine after rubbing it in.

Alaska98
July 1st, 2014, 12:28 PM
I hate sunscreen on my hair too, but I may try what larki said. It sounds reasonable.

Pantha
July 1st, 2014, 12:55 PM
I know that Boots No7 and Boots Soltan used to do a sunscreen spray for hair, because I bought my Dad the Soltan one to stop him burning his scalp in the garden (he doesn't exactly have a full head of hair).
I have used both of them but they tended to make my hair look quite greesy and my hair got quite tangled after using it so I stopped using them.
I generally just wear a hat or headscalf if I'm out in the sun for a logn time but that's more to do with not wanting sunstroke. Does the homemade stuff make your hair all greesy? I always had to wash my hair after using the the Boots ones.

In2wishin
July 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM
I don't use sunscreen on my hair but I do put it on my part.

Jennwith4
July 1st, 2014, 02:46 PM
I do, I have a spray bottle filled with water and a tablespoon of sunscreen, plus a little leave-in conditioner. I'm not sure if it really protects my hair itself, but it keeps my scalp from burning and my hair feels less dry after being in the sun for hours than it otherwise would. It doesn't make my hair greasy at all - in fact I've full-on put sunblock on my hair before, and my hair looked fine after rubbing it in.

I am going to try what you do. I love going out in the sun and I know some of my top layer damage is from that. Hoping this will help minimize the negative affects from this summers fun times. :) thx!

mary*rose
July 1st, 2014, 06:27 PM
Larki, that is an excellent idea.

meteor
July 2nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
UV filters in hair products protect dye, not natural melanin.
Chemical sunscreen for skin works by absorbing into skin (hence the requirement to let it absorb for 15 minutes before leaving the house) and then absorbing UVA/UVB rays - the technology targets skin cells, not hair. I would compare hair color fading to silk (or other textiles) fibers drying out and fading in the sun rather than skin getting tanned/burned.

My preferred sun protection for hair is putting it up under hats/scarves and also using oils, which are generally good against wear and tear and dryness.
I have a suspicion that henna might provide some sun protection, because it coats hair and doesn't seem to fade in summertime (unlike chemical dye).

I have used products with UV filters, but I never count on them for protection because my hair still got dry and lighter in color, unless I used a hat/scarf. I also prefer hats because it's hard to coat all canopy hair with enough sun-protecting product and reapply it regularly without making hair look very dirty.

I wanted to share a link to a very interesting experiment on Igor's Bell Tower blog: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-sun-protection-experiment.html
She coated 3 groups of shed hair in: 1) UV filter hair product; 2) skin SPF product; 3) nothing (control group) - and left them in her window-sill.
I think it's an awesome experiment. Hopefully, she'll update with results in her blog soon.