PDA

View Full Version : Summer Wash Increase?

Crumpet
July 1st, 2014, 03:29 AM
Its summer and it is hot and humid where I live. I also work out about 6 days a week, with at least one 13-24 mile run each week. There's no way I can be in public after a long run without washing with at least a CO wash.

During the winter I wash about once a week (CO one week and with poo the next), but during the summer, I seem to need to wash twice a week...and maybe even three times a week this week. I try to only use poo once a week.

Is anyone else increasing their washes with the summer?

embee
July 1st, 2014, 05:08 AM
I'll agree it is a problem. In winter I'm NW/SO but in summer I become WO (maybe once a month) - but once in a while I slip into a very very diluted wash. There's no way I can otherwise cope with the oily waxy sweaty mess my hair becomes.

If I were you I'd dilute the shampoo more than usual and rinse very well indeed. Maybe it won't throw everything off for you.

ETA: I generally do only scalp washes/rinses - the length is in a topknot under plastic.

Crumpet
July 1st, 2014, 05:24 AM
Great idea Embee! I hadn't thought about increasing my shampoo dilution, but you're right, this would definitely help!

lapushka
July 1st, 2014, 05:24 AM
No my routine basically stays the same (once a week), but then I don't do strenuous activity, or any activity of the sort (disabled). Still, summer can make you sweaty...

Anje
July 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
I'm an oddball -- I need to wash more in the winter than the summer. My scalp gets greasy a lot faster then (I suspect it's a reaction to dryness). The reverse seems true for most people, though.

Nadine <3
July 1st, 2014, 09:07 AM
I take a lot more showers in the summer. I don't mind washing it a bit more. If it gets gross and sweaty, I wash it. I see no need to try and force a stretch if I'm feeling like I want to wash it. Sometimes I'll just rinse it and that seems to be enough for sweat. In the winter I wash every 4 days, in the summer I'm at least every other day.

Vivalagina
July 1st, 2014, 09:12 AM
I wash every other day regardless of season. It gets hot where I live, but it's a dry heat and I exercise indoors anyway so that's not an issue. When I visit somewhere humid during the summer, I do sometimes need to wash everyday because my scalp just feels gross.

Idjit
July 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
I switch to CO in the summer and wash whever I need to. In the winter I use Toadstool shampoo and only wash about once a week or twice in a week and a half.

ExpectoPatronum
July 1st, 2014, 11:09 AM
I wash my hair more often in the summer. Part of it is just from the greasies, the other part is that I swim a lot and I like to remove the chlorine asap.

In the summer, I wash every other day, though sometimes it's every day just depending on how often I jump in the pool.

In the winter, I wash every two days.

arelrios
July 1st, 2014, 01:04 PM
Even if I tried to wash less often (sometimes I can get away with once a week) during summer it is not happening.

I do workout 6 days a week, lots of cardio (insanity) and the most I can go without washing, is every 2 days.... it is not only the greasies, but also it stinks :justy::run: ... lol... so I have to wash more often...

faellen
July 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM
I need to wash more often during summer, because my hair gets sweaty and gross.

velorutionista
July 1st, 2014, 03:08 PM
I don't necessarily wash more often in the summer (normally I S/C every 3-4 days), but I do rinse my hair almost every day to get the sweat out, otherwise my scalp gets itchy. I wash more in the winter (I wear hats a lot, I think that somehow makes my scalp etc. oilier faster than uncovered hair).

meteor
July 1st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, I find that hair (and skin) needs to be washed more often in summer-time. I don't mind it.
It's probably frustrating for people who are stretching washes though. They might benefit from scalp-only washes and water rinses.

YamaMaya
July 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM
I pretty much shower every day since I started working out, and I will do a scalp wash either WO or with shampoo depending on how bad I'm sweating.

mary*rose
July 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
I'm finding that I don't really need to increase my washes. Maybe it's just because I'm inactive. Haha or maybe I'm just gross and don't feel like increasing my cleanliness 'cause I'm just gonna get sweaty again

calmyogi
July 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM
I wish I could wash only once a week :thud:

clairenewcastle
July 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM
I tend to wash my hair more in the summer - sweat equals sebum for me.

truepeacenik
July 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
I wash once more in a week in warm weather.
But I dilute the shampoo more (bars seems to be more problematic with frequency, for me) in summer.

peachyleshy
July 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM
I think my hair might get a little oilier faster in the summer. The amount I was isn't that much different though. Probably will be as my hair gets longer. I definitely am more inclined to was it more if I've been running or working outside. While in the winter if I exercise, I'm ok with waiting.

Crumpet
July 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Even if I tried to wash less often (sometimes I can get away with once a week) during summer it is not happening.

I do workout 6 days a week, lots of cardio (insanity) and the most I can go without washing, is every 2 days.... it is not only the greasies, but also it stinks :justy::run: ... lol... so I have to wash more often...

Oh, this is so what I go through! After a hard workout, I just NEED to wash my hair. Its not only greasy and gross, but it feels terrible and I want to get away from my hair.

As others have said...no point in torturing myself. My hair is for my pleasure so I wash it!

Crumpet
July 2nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
I wish I could wash only once a week :thud:

I used to wash daily when I was in high school. I slowly started washing less and less. I think stretching is both a combination of training your scalp to chill out about the oil production by not taking it away and being lucky that your scalp responds to that training. Some people just can't get their scalps to cooperate, while others are lucky. I'm glad I can stretch washes in the winter at least. I'm lazy!

pixldust
July 2nd, 2014, 06:55 AM
I'm an oddball -- I need to wash more in the winter than the summer. My scalp gets greasy a lot faster then (I suspect it's a reaction to dryness). The reverse seems true for most people, though.

Mine seems to be a bit like that at the moment too. Although it's summer (well, as 'summer' as it ever gets in the UK :D) I seem to be finding it easier to stick to my usual wash schedule. During winter it seemed to get greasy more quickly and I found I was using dry shampoo more often, so I didn't have to wash my hair a day early. It really bugs me if I can't stick to washing my hair after a set number of days. I don't mind going a day or so longer but I hate having to do it a day or so early. Now I think about it, that's actually quite sad...I should get out more...

Vanilla
July 2nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Count me in as someone who also has to wash more in the summer. I wash 2x a week in winter, but summer I'm at 3x a week to wash. I haven't had much success with CO or WO, so for me it's S + C.