PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for Georgian Era hairstyles

Andeee
July 1st, 2014, 02:53 AM
I'm really excited because I've gotten a harp gig at a Georgian mansion and I will be given a dress to wear and everything!

I've started researching hairstyles on youtube and elsewhere but am having trouble finding something suitable and easy enough.

I learned that the Georgian Era actually does include the Regency Era, but the dress is definitely more 18th century than early 19th century--so think less Jane Austen and more, well, Marie Antoinette, I guess.

My hair is wavy and reasonably thick and almost TBL (quite tapered and fairytailed). I don't want to use heat, curlers, teasing, hairspray, etc. I know that limits things, but I'd rather it not be so over the top anyway.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions!

inanna
July 1st, 2014, 04:50 AM
YouTube seems to mostly think 18th century = gigantic Marie Antoinette hair with hairpieces, backcombing and general mayhem up the wazoo.

I think you could probably modify something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YOiq8K18g) to give it a more 18th century feel. Make the bouffant in the front a bit bigger either with your own hair or with the help of a hair rat, and finish off with a bit of hair powder or dry shampoo. If you're feeling adventurous, you could make a few rag curls and leave them hanging enticingly down the back of your neck.

So basically, this hairstyle (http://crsw23.blogspot.fi/2012/01/classic-georgian-hairstyle.html) that is Georgian at least according to one source!

Andeee
July 1st, 2014, 06:10 AM
Inanna, that's perfect! Yes, I was coming up with mayhem up the wazoo as well. Thanks for finding something a bit more practical. I like the idea of the curls hanging down the back. I didn't even notice that the first link wasn't even Georgian, but yes, modified with the second link in mind it will do nicely.

inanna
July 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM
I'm glad you liked it! I've been on the lookout for steampunk-y hairdos, and have found that once you go into history beyond the 1930s, you really need to bend the rules a bit. Unless of course you do have a lady in waiting, an extensive array of wigs, and hair down to your ankles.

I hope your gig goes well - and on a more selfish note, I hope you post pics of the hairdo! :)

Andeee
July 1st, 2014, 11:14 AM
Thank you inanna! It's not 'til August, will try and remember to post a pic (or before that when I do a trial run of the style).