PDA

View Full Version : Help!

sarahmargera
June 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM
My best friend (who has the most beautifully long, thick, perfect hair I have EVER seen) decided to put a LUSH hair mask in her hair and it basically turned it into wax. She has washed her hair multiple times with clarifying shampoo and nothing is getting it out. Any advice??:(

lapushka
June 30th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Keep clarifying (and conditioning well after), that would be my advice.

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 06:16 PM
YMMV, but I recommend doing a proper coconut oiling session with a plastic cap a few hours before the next clarifying wash. From my personal experience, coconut oil (and quite possibly other penetrating oils) seem to bind well to waxes and product dirt and allow for a better clarifying session.

Also, to help us give her more targeted advice, could you please post the ingredients of the mask that she used and her usual products/routine?

Larki
June 30th, 2014, 06:19 PM
My best friend (who has the most beautifully long, thick, perfect hair I have EVER seen) decided to put a LUSH hair mask in her hair and it basically turned it into wax. She has washed her hair multiple times with clarifying shampoo and nothing is getting it out. Any advice??:(
Yikes! I can't imagine what could have caused that!

Feathered
June 30th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Oh my, that's scary. I feel for her. I hope she's able to find a quick solution. I also hope you report back on what worked for her. I'm curious about how it turns out.

sarahmargera
June 30th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I definitely feel for her. She sent me a picture of her hair completely dry and it looks just like pure wax. Anyway, this is the ingredient list for LUSH Roots (a product that I will NEVER be trying.)

Fresh Mint (Mentha arvensis) , Water (Aqua) , Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate , Citric Acid , Propylene Glycol , Honey (Mel) , Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita) , Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis) , Spearmint Oil (Mentha viridis) , Grapefruit Oil (Citrus paradisi) , Nettle Absolute (Urtica dioica) , Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara) , Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Olea europaea) , *Limonene , *Citral , *Linalool , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Propylparaben

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Does it seem odd to anyone else that a hair mask has SLS in it? I thought sulfates were like detergents- something you normally see in shampoos, not deep treatments or masks... Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't bought anything like that in a while, so I haven't had a reason to look at ingredients on any hair masks. Anyways, I could see how that might dry it out, but I have no idea why it would turn her hair to wax. :confused: I'm sure someone more knowledgable about these ingredients will come along. Good luck to your friend.

spidermom
June 30th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Time will take care of it. I had something similar happen in the distant past.
She can use the most simple conditioner she can find and do CO with it before or after shampooing or instead of shampooing. Conditioners seem to remove oils better than shampoos do, even clarifying shampoos.

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Does it seem odd to anyone else that a hair mask has SLS in it? I thought sulfates were like detergents- something you normally see in shampoos, not deep treatments or masks...

Yes, that immediately jumped to my attention too. Sulphates are not something I want to marinate my hair in for half an hour or longer, as I usually do with proper hair masks. The product might have dried out her hair. I'd recommend going back to her usual products and give it time to normalize.

Anje
June 30th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Does it seem odd to anyone else that a hair mask has SLS in it?
EVERYTHING from Lush has SLS in it, including the conditioners. :rolleyes: It's kinda scary if you read their ingredients lists.

On a whim, since you've tried shampooing a bunch, try saturating her dry hair with about a bottle of VO5 conditioner. Work it in, let it sit for about half an hour, work it again, then rinse out for a while (like 5 minutes - don't skimp on the rinsing). Then rinse the hair with a vinegar-water solution, maybe about 10-20% vinegar, and rinse again.

A lot of this is a hunch -- if it has soap-based ingredients in it for some reason, that often causes a waxy feeling. Conditioner and vinegar can both help counteract that in different ways.