PDA

View Full Version : Does hair grow faster in summer?

Scelesta
June 30th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I never really noticed much growth in the winter/spring months, in fact i was quite sad cause it seemed my hair was growing super slow( I swear most months only a 1/4 of an inch 1/2 an inch if i was lucky :( )

But my goodness! Its summer here, and my hair is growing like a weed, I had an inch last month, and hennad my hair on june 13th, its now the 30th, and I've got nearly 1/2 an inch of new growth! I'm super happy about this, but kinda confused as to why its suddenly growing so fast. I havent changed my diet in any way, and only a month and a half ago started taking MSM and biotin. I do nightly scalp massages with my head in the steaming hot bathwater, use renpure argan oil conditioner daily, and a suave clarifying shampoo twice a week, and coconut oil after I towel dry my hair nightly, with a heavy oiling once a week. I also henna once every 4-8 weeks depending on how much the roots showing is bothering me.

The only thing i've been doing differently then i did in the winter, is i'm spending a fair bit of time out in the sun, an hour or two a day if the suns out just laying in the sun...Well that and the new conditioner and coconut oil.

So does hair grow faster in the summer or is something i'm doing actually working?

HairFaerie
June 30th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I usually have a growth stall during the summer after getting up to 2.5 inches per month during the winter but I have been lucky this summer to get about 1.5 inches each month! :) I am happy! I might make my goal of APL by Christmas 2014! :cheer:

Larki
June 30th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I usually have a growth stall during the summer after getting up to 2.5 inches per month during the winter but I have been lucky this summer to get about 1.5 inches each month! :) I am happy! I might make my goal of APL by Christmas 2014! :cheer:

Holy fast-growing hair, Batman! That's insane!

Scelesta
June 30th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Holy fast-growing hair, Batman! That's insane!

I'm gonna second that...WOW

MINAKO
June 30th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I think it varies depending on the person and growth rate can only ever give an average. Mine is indeed pretty much always the same, which doesn't mean exactly the same but i just don't notice a big difference, so usually 1,5 to 2cm at max.
Not to offend anyone but 2.5 inches are almost 6.5cm, so i really wonder how that would work. If it does, consider yourself lucky (util you've reached your goal and have to kep up with the trimms :P )

just a reminder of what it actually would look like. ;)
http://www.myonlineruler.com/ruler.png

NatNat
June 30th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I sure think so! Mine is always so slow during the winter and during the summer it gets a big boost :)

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I havent changed my diet in any way, and only a month and a half ago started taking MSM and biotin. I do nightly scalp massages with my head in the steaming hot bathwater, use renpure argan oil conditioner daily, and a suave clarifying shampoo twice a week, and coconut oil after I towel dry my hair nightly, with a heavy oiling once a week. I also henna once every 4-8 weeks depending on how much the roots showing is bothering me.

It could definitely be the heat (many things in life grow faster in hot weather) or a combination of things you have listed (especially scalp massages, biotin, heavy coconut oiling...). Also, many people think that their diets don't change in summer time, but they may be getting more freshly grown produce by virtue of their increased availability in grocery stores. And getting more vitamin D may help, too.

Congratulations on awesome growth rates! :D

Platzhalter
June 30th, 2014, 07:21 PM
double post by accident...

Platzhalter
June 30th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on your growth rates :)

Never noticed any difference for me and don't even pay attention to my growth rate.

HairFaerie
June 30th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Monako - My hair doesn't grow 2.5 every month. About four months out of the year I do get 2.5 per month. During the spring and fall, I get anywhere from 1 to 1.5 and usually during the summer get between .5 to 1 inch per month. (I got lucky this summer Nd the growth spurt continues.) This is the truth and I have pics in my album. Keep in mind I had trims to keep the mullet stage at bay in between but you can still see I get quite a bit of growth each month despite the trims.

Many years ago, I got a buzz cut and I grew to almost waist in three years with trims in between. It is very real...

peachyleshy
June 30th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I've never noticed my hair growing any faster in the summer. My nails definitely do and they are also stronger.

MINAKO
June 30th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Monako - My hair doesn't grow 2.5 every month. About four months out of the year I do get 2.5 per month. During the spring and fall, I get anywhere from 1 to 1.5 and usually during the summer get between .5 to 1 inch per month. (I got lucky this summer Nd the growth spurt continues.) This is the truth and I have pics in my album. Keep in mind I had trims to keep the mullet stage at bay in between but you can still see I get quite a bit of growth each month despite the trims.

Many years ago, I got a buzz cut and I grew to almost waist in three years with trims in between. It is very real...

Well, that's great, lucky you. I have seriously never seen anyone growing faster then lets say 1 or maybe 1.5 inch solid per month, but there are always exeptions to the rule i guess. I'm used to the metric system and have been around in a german forum for a while so it definitely is a heck lot of growth from what i could gather so far.
I was never too crazy about getting mine long in no time until i reached hip and thought i should go for classic, so i didn't really expirience that state of impatience to do buns and braids yadda yadda. But now im like, WTF come on i'm wating for at least a few hairs to hit that spot. At the same time i do not think that my terminal length is incredibly long, so i always suppose it's going near the end as i make myself think it does grow a bit slower that before.

spidermom
June 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Faster growth in the summer is due to more hours of daylight.

Mine grows equally fast in summer and fall, slows to a crawl in the winter, then speeds up just a little bit in the spring. Now that summer is here, I can practically stand in front of the mirror and watch my hair grow. Haha; not really, but it truly is growing pretty fast right now.

xoChesleyy
June 30th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I love the Renpure products. The Renpure Brazilian Keratin shampoo and conditioner was my favorite thus far. Also, it's inexpensive and the huge bottles last for months. However, I recently purchased Rainbow Research Herbal Henna & Biotin shampoo and conditioner after reading the positive reviews and I think it may be my new favorite. :D The bottles are much smaller in comparison to the 32 oz. Renpure shampoo and conditioner, but the product itself is great. (It's for all hair types and completely natural/herbal so that's a major plus in my book!) I recommend it.

With that aside, I agree with your theory of hair growing faster in the summer.. From my experience, at least. My monthly measurements during the summer seem to show this, too. I'm not sure if this is any contribution, but my body gets a significant more amount of circulation versus the winter. My diet doesn't really change with the summer because I generally eat healthy year-round.. But I have heard of some people's hair getting healthier or growing faster due to eating more fruits and veggies in the summer time. Ah well, in the meanwhile, this will remain a mystery to me. :p

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I figured I should add this to my original post:

According to Elizabeth Cunnane Phillips, a trichologist at the Philip Kingsley Clinic in New York City who has been studying hair and scalp health for over 22 years: "There may be a slight increase in the rate of growth, but it’s really marginal. A natural hormonal shift and increase in UV may contribute to some changes, but again I must stress it's marginal."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/hair-grows-faster-summer_n_1671907.html

bunnylake
June 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I've heard that hair does grow a bit faster in summer. I know when I was in school, going back in September I would always notice how long the girls hair had gotten since I saw them the previous June.

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Mine grows more in the summer and less in the winter. I've never really understood it but that's what it does.

LadyCelestina
July 1st, 2014, 04:07 AM
Well, that's great, lucky you. I have seriously never seen anyone growing faster then lets say 1 or maybe 1.5 inch solid per month, but there are always exeptions to the rule i guess. I'm used to the metric system and have been around in a german forum for a while so it definitely is a heck lot of growth from what i could gather so far.
I was never too crazy about getting mine long in no time until i reached hip and thought i should go for classic, so i didn't really expirience that state of impatience to do buns and braids yadda yadda. But now im like, WTF come on i'm wating for at least a few hairs to hit that spot. At the same time i do not think that my terminal length is incredibly long, so i always suppose it's going near the end as i make myself think it does grow a bit slower that before.

I'm also skeptical of the super fast growth rates people get on the internet,but on a czech/slovak long hair forum,there was a girl who claimed she got around 4,5 cm a month,and posted pics of her three months growth.It might have been a fraud,but more believable with pics.
I also noticed that LHC members seem to have mostly above -average hair growth,though you rarely see progress pics with say,30cm a year.On me that would be from bald to BSL in a year.

But maybe I'm just jealous :P

lapushka
July 1st, 2014, 05:03 AM
I think my growth rate is pretty consistent throughout. Sometimes it doesn't grow at all - which is off putting, but hey, what can you do? We don't measure that precisely anymore, not since last time I grew out to TBL; the only measuring that's done is relative to the goal length.

Tini'sNewHair
July 1st, 2014, 05:12 AM
My hair grew so crazy fast in summer and now its has slown riiiiiight down and its winter :( Im not ready to slow down but ah well, not much of a choice ey :( Also I think winter slows growth because of sickness making for a weaker immune system and what not. I just cant wait for spring/summer to start.

woolyleprechaun
July 1st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Mine is fairly consistent, and I tend to judge on my annual average. For example, I may well get a freaky summer spurt, but all that progress will be clawed back in the following months of slow growth. I tend to get six inches a year, regardless of spurts and stalls over the months.
This personal hair theory also includes things like the inversion method; I can get half an inch in a week, but it will not grow at all for the next three, taking me to...ta-daaahhh! My normal half an inch a month haha.

StellaKatherine
July 1st, 2014, 06:25 AM
Honestly I have no idea if my hair grows faster or not as I never really measured my hair.. I will try to measure for the rest of this summer and at fall and winter, just curious to see :D

spidermom
July 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM
I figured I should add this to my original post:

According to Elizabeth Cunnane Phillips, a trichologist at the Philip Kingsley Clinic in New York City who has been studying hair and scalp health for over 22 years: "There may be a slight increase in the rate of growth, but it’s really marginal. A natural hormonal shift and increase in UV may contribute to some changes, but again I must stress it's marginal."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/hair-grows-faster-summer_n_1671907.html

I don't know about marginal. Back when I kept records about my hair growth, I'd average 2/3 inch per month in the summer and fall, then only 1/4 inch per month in the winter.

diddiedaisy
July 1st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Well my hair still churns out 1cm every 4 weeks, I've only been measuring this year, but so far no sign of a summer spurt. Bah humbug

Else
July 1st, 2014, 09:00 AM
I took note about my monthly hair length for more than a year now and my hair doesn't grow faster in the summer months as I expected. As you can see in the picture below, my hair grows about 1 cm every month (please notice incorrect measurements in September 2013 and a hair trim in May 2014). In the second lines (Differenz) you can see the growing per month. Measurements are taken in cm ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/412082/Bildschirmfoto%202014-07-01%20um%2016.52.55.jpg

ExpectoPatronum
July 1st, 2014, 11:11 AM
My hair seems to grow the fastest in the late summer/early fall months.