PDA

View Full Version : Buns that can be done with a single stick?

Larki
June 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I recently discovered a hair stick in one of my drawers (yay!). Which buns can be done with a single stick?

Gumball
June 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
The nautilus bun is my go to one stick style. That and the braided cinnabun which I'm wearing right now.

Rio040113
June 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM
LWB, Disc bun, Spidermoms bun, Artemis bun, flipped Cinnabun, Figure 8/Infinity bun, etc etc etc. Most buns infact!

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Practically all of them, as far as I know. :)

The real question is which buns can't be done with a single stick? I can only think of French twist/fold/roll, Gibson tuck, crown/coronet braids and their variations, Amish braids, horseshoe/milkmaid braids... but these updos aren't even buns.

Rio040113
June 30th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Practically all of them, as far as I know. :)

The real question is which buns can't be done with a single stick? I can only think of French twist/fold/roll, Gibson tuck, crown/coronet braids and their variations, Amish braids, horseshoe/milkmaid braids... but these updos aren't even buns.

Woven bun and Jamie Leigh bun... I think... maybe...! :lol:

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Good to know, Rio040113! :) I'm off to check out those buns. I love new hairstyles. :)

chen bao jun
June 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I think it depends on your hair. some of us (like me, a curly) can hold up all our buns with a single hairstick. Other people with slippery hair probably need two for everything.

Hairitic
June 30th, 2014, 05:03 PM
My favorite, super easy, super holding, ONE stick bun is a PHA bun! :applause

Larki
June 30th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I think it depends on your hair. some of us (like me, a curly) can hold up all our buns with a single hairstick. Other people with slippery hair probably need two for everything.
I think this might be me, sadly. So far I've tried a LWB and cinnabun, and the LWB holds for five minutes and falls out. The cinnabun won't even stay for a few seconds. :p Braided cinnabun works better, but still falls out frequently.

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Very true. I find when my hair has too much slip (usually due to cones), my buns fall apart and I have to redo them 10 or even more times a day!
I go for very secure styles and I like really grippy and thick sticks with rectangular shape rather than round ones for proper hold.

swords & roses
June 30th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I have really slippery hair, and can hold a bun with a single stick. (Though I'm a member of the Puny Bun Community, so that may be a factor.)

My trick for getting a stick to hold really well:
1. Stab outer edge of bun.
2. Direct point of stick AWAY from center of bun.
3. Put point of stick on scalp.
4. Drag point of stick from the place it's at now, across your scalp through the center of the bun, and shove it through the opposite side of the bun.

This "flipped stick trick" grabs extra scalp hair, & make the stick hold much more securely! :)

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Swords & roses, if I'm understanding correctly, it's kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE

I thought that's the only realistic way to hold a bun with a stick...
There is also a stick-through-pony or stick-through-braid method for something like a Chinese bun, but that method never holds hair well enough for me.
Are there other sturdy methods of using a stick?

chen bao jun
June 30th, 2014, 06:50 PM
the sort of stick helps too. ketylos and mamacats sticks with a curve are good for slipperies

rags
June 30th, 2014, 07:16 PM
The LWB and cinnamon bun are hard for me to hold with one stick, due to my hair being slippery. However, I can hold a pencil bun or a natuilus all day! So definitely try some of the others too before you give up!

Also, if your stats are right - you may not have enough length for the LWB at 21", without using pins for the ends.

Anje
June 30th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Anyone mention critic knot buns yet? Really, I do everything except this flat cinnamon buns with one stick. Even slippery hair can do it with the right technique and plenty of length. But start with something like a nautilus or lazy wrap or Gibraltar bun (they're all pretty much the same thing) with one stick first, because it's a good way to learn how to hold hair with just one. Getting the hair to hold the hair and the stick just to keep it all together is the whole trick.

swords & roses
July 1st, 2014, 06:21 AM
Yep, that's the method I meant! I went for years not knowing about it, but now it's the only way I go. :)

Larki
July 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks, guys!

The LWB and cinnamon bun are hard for me to hold with one stick, due to my hair being slippery. However, I can hold a pencil bun or a natuilus all day! So definitely try some of the others too before you give up!

Also, if your stats are right - you may not have enough length for the LWB at 21", without using pins for the ends.
The stats are correct. I'm short and have a short torso as well, so 21" is waist length.