PDA

View Full Version : Buns v. braids

cdonald2
June 30th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I've never been good at braiding and I don't have hair long enough for a decent braids anyways, are buns a pretty good alternative to braids for somebody like me? Or are they more damaging? I hear great success from a lot of people who use braids to help grow their hair out. So I was just curious buns work just as well.

Johannah
June 30th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Both are great to reduce damage, but out of experience (and what I hear of other members), buns work better because hair doesn't got the chance to rub against clothes, furniture etc.

Madora
June 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Personally, I prefer braids, but buns can be very protective also, provided that you don't pull them tightly and that you don't bun in the same place each time. Also, if you're using sticks/forks, rotate the place where you place the tool. You don't want to be putting the stick/fork in the same place time after time.

Anje
June 30th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Buns are typically less damaging than braids, though it is a bit dependent on how you secure them. (Just holding the whole thing with an elastic isn't ideal and is a good recipe for breakage and headaches.) Supporting them with something other than just and elastic or bobby pins is generally better. There are lots of good options from claw clips to spin pins to hairsticks to Ficcares, so you're bound to find something that you like and that works.

That said, I don't dis braids. They require a little more babysitting than buns, but they keep hair organized and untangled, and if you're good about moving them out of the way when you sit down or put on a purse/backpack, they're very protective. It's also good practice for hair management when you do wear your hair loose, whereas habitual bun-wearers sometimes aren't good about minding their loose hair.

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Again, both are great options for protective styles. I prefer braids because my hair's wavy and too thick for buns.

It seems braids work better for thick or coarse hair since braids don't pull at your scalp like the weight of a bun would, while buns are often better for thin or fine hair because they don't need to worry about heaviness. Texture-wise, braids tend to work better for waves and curls since it tends to work out of buns.

Nadine <3
June 30th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I think both can be good protective styles, as long as you're not doing them to tight, or securing with damaging tools like hair ties with metal on them. Personally, I prefer the look of braids so I wear them more. My hair is pretty short compared to others here though so it might change once I can do more styles of buns.

cdonald2
June 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I use hairties but i always take them down every hour or so and put them back up.Like i said, my hair is too short to use much else. Sometimes i use scrunches or claw clips too.

Aurum
June 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I generally use braids, if only because I'm terrible at any bun that isn't just wrapping a ponytail around itself. Personally, I've also found that my hair tends to get really knotty and tangled if I put it up too long. My hair is pretty malleable so when I take it down I get these weird dents/curls that can be a pain in the bun to get rid of. Pulling my own hair in a different direction than usual can make my scalp hurt when I take it out. Most of those reasons are specific to me and my hair type. By all means, buns are a terrific alternative for most people. :)

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Both are great protective options, especially if you do them right.
The worst risks with braids are from exposed ends and ties, so you need to be mindful about what your braid touches and use soft (silk) ties.
The worst risks with buns are from too much pulling or tight bunning, stressing the same area of scalp or the same strands too much, which could lead to traction alopecia. Also, headaches aren't that uncommon.
Personally, I love both braids and buns, and my favorite buns are braided! :)

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 05:19 PM
The silk ties might not be necessary depending on your hemline preferences and how tough your hair is. :D

RapunzelKat
June 30th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Buns are typically less damaging than braids, though it is a bit dependent on how you secure them. (Just holding the whole thing with an elastic isn't ideal and is a good recipe for breakage and headaches.) Supporting them with something other than just and elastic or bobby pins is generally better. There are lots of good options from claw clips to spin pins to hairsticks to Ficcares, so you're bound to find something that you like and that works.

That said, I don't dis braids. They require a little more babysitting than buns, but they keep hair organized and untangled, and if you're good about moving them out of the way when you sit down or put on a purse/backpack, they're very protective. It's also good practice for hair management when you do wear your hair loose, whereas habitual bun-wearers sometimes aren't good about minding their loose hair.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say :agree:

I use hairties but i always take them down every hour or so and put them back up.Like i said, my hair is too short to use much else. Sometimes i use scrunches or claw clips too.

Scrunchies and claw clips (used carefully!) are probably better than elastics, even the folded over fabric kind with no metal parts. Could you do style such as a French twist or peacock twist, and secure it with spin pins or hairpins? That might give you a little variety while you're waiting to gain more length :)

spidermom
June 30th, 2014, 08:15 PM
or the best of both worlds - the braided bun

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2014, 10:10 PM

I agree with this it's how you secure them that makes a difference. I've never had a headache from them but I agree after wearing my hair up it's hard to keep it contained when it's down.

idiay
October 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Buns because I can't braid my hair, haha.

Jennwith4
October 13th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I like both. :)

raudr
October 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I personally hate buns- my hair seems so crunchy after wearing one for so long.

LyndaF
October 30th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I tend to wear buns most of the time. I would love to wear braids more often. They get messy and fuzzy so quickly, though, and I can't stand that.

DreamSheep
October 30th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I'm more of a bun person. I like braids, but if I do just one, it is very fat and short (and bits come out), and if I do two pigtail plaits, they get in the way anyway - so buns for me. Usually I mix them up between doing them on top of my head, the back, and little twin buns.

lapushka
October 30th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I think at shoulder length, a peacock twist will be the way to go. It's early enough for braids, though, esp. a French one, but it's way too early for buns.

Federica
October 31st, 2014, 05:29 AM
Since your hair is at SL I think that is not a matter of life and death to religiously put it up all the time as if you were at waist or longer.
I love to make braids and braided buns on my hair, because with my waves and curls I find very hard to make a decent simple bun.
I suggest you to use this kind of tool (http://www.capellopoint.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/207.jpg) (I don't know the proper name of it in english) to hold your pony, that is more hair friendly than elastic bands.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I love braids but I'm not the best at them so I usually wear some type of bun. I find them incredibly protective and comfortable.

Elly May
November 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
On wash day I do a french braid bun to get waves, which helps my buns hold better until I wash it again in four days--even a little bit of wave helps hold my thin fine hair in a bun. Since I hit BSL, I can do more buns and was amazed to find out how easy one hair stick will hold all day, once I found the right buns for me by watching tutorials recommended on LHC. I LOVE not washing/drying/curling my hair everyday, and instead being able to detangle and bun in about one minute! (I sleep in a satin cap so my hair requires very little in the morning.)