PDA

View Full Version : Haircare on vacation in Mexico?

patienceneeded
June 30th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hello all! As you can tell from the title, I'm heading to Mexico for a week long family vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I'm so excited, I haven't been out of the country since 2006. I've never been to Puerto Vallarta (I've been other places in Mexico) and am literally jumping for joy that we saved enough for this trip. We will be gone for 7 days.

Now, on the important things...hair! :smile: I plan on swimming as much as I can, both in the pool and the ocean. I'm not going to let my hair dictate my vacation or boss me around. However, I want to be proactive and prevent damage. We are going to have 1 bag that is checked with the airline, so I have a bag that does not need to follow the TSA rules for carry-on baggage. DD also has long (APL) hair and wants hers at waist. Stuff we can both use will be helpful.

Here is what I am planning on -

Shampoo (duh)
Full-sized conditioner bottle (in a big ziploc bag, in the checked suitcase)
Coconut Oil (Looking for a plastic container, I don't want to pack glass) (Also in a big ziploc in the checked bag)

Any suggestions? I will pretty much be wearing coconut oil in my hair 24/7 to prevent the salt and chlorine from doing any damage.

I have a trim scheduled for 3 days after we return. I'm excited for the trim, I haven't had my hair cut in almost a year, and my hair appointment is a few days after my 1-year no trim is over! I'm only going to trim 1/2" as I don't have any damage (now), but jic I do end up with damage after vacation, I figure the trim will take care of it.

Plus, school starts again, well - teachers report to work, the following week. Good time to trim.

Also, on a random side note, my wonderful Mom agreed to house-sit for us that week to take care of our GSD. Buddy does love his Grandma!

Any advice on haircare while in Mexico? Something else I should pack? The best hairstyle to prevent damage as much as possible? I will literally be in the pool within 60 minutes of arriving at the hotel. I will have an adult beverage in hand 10 minutes after arrival. :grin:

So Excited!

Cania
July 1st, 2014, 10:44 AM
It sounds like you are planning everything right, to be honest ^_^ Maybe a big, floppy hat to keep it safe from the sun, or maybe a nice headscarf? I imagine the sun is quite intense over there :bigeyes:

Hope you have a great time!

spidermom
July 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM
I have used coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and CHI Silk Infusion (coney leave-in) during separate trips to the tropics. I used all three very generously, then braided. Of the three, the coney leave-in was FAR superior in preventing damage and discoloration.

Nadine <3
July 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
I would slather it in whatever oil you like, and leave it in a braid or whatever hair style is most comfortable for you. A french braid covered in oil will probably be good for swimming...I can't imagine a bun would hold up well and I'm not sure what you could secure it with. Also a pile of hair ties is easier to travel with as apposed to a bunch of hair toys! A floppy hat or scarf would be a good idea. I have thin hair and I've gotten sunburn on the top of my head. Not fun at all.

Most of all, enjoy yourself!

DweamGoiL
July 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
When on vacation, I usually take shea/coconut oil mixed together in butter form althgough by the time you get there, it would have melted to oil :) unless you have a fridge in your room. I can use this on skin and hair, which is great when you are traveling. I have 2 daughters so a small tub gets us through the entire vacation. I also take some light gel or aloe vera gel because frizz loves the tropical wind and humidity. Other than that, just my usual conditioner and I make sure to clarify as sooon as I get back. Enjoy your vacation!

chen bao jun
July 1st, 2014, 02:32 PM
Wrap it all up carefully so that it doesn't get on your clothes in the suitcase, where it will be hot and the coconut oil will melt and the handlers will be banging the valise around.

Nesoi
July 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM
I always take a spray bottle with me, and keep it topped up with fresh water and a squirt of conditioner. I spray it on before and after I swim and it seems to help!

patienceneeded
July 1st, 2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I will look into a hat that travels well. Or buy one there.

Any other thoughts?