PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a hemline you hated?

shinyspoon3
June 29th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Next week I'm going to the salon for the first time in over a year and I am thinking about asking for a V, but it is a hard hemline to come back from so I don't want to make a mistake. I've gone through the threads here and seen lots of reasons people prefer their hemline, but I'm more interested in hearing the downsides of the hemlines. So, please complain! Did your cut limit you in any way? What did you hate about your hemline?

Callifornia
June 29th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I had someone give me a straight hemline the one and only time I went to a hairstylist. I absolutely hated it. My hair is waves and wurls and curls, no straight lines there. I like the soft look of a gentle U shape. It fits my hair texture best. I don't care for it when I accidentally get too close to a V shape because my hair is thin so it makes my braids just sad looking to me. They taper to nothing.

That's my tastes on my hair. On the other hand I've had someone ask me to do a layered V cut on their tailbone length, thick, straight, black (all natural hair. It was gorgeous and definitely suited the girl. She wore it down most of the time.
I've seen someone that had butt-cheek length straight one length hair with a blunt straight hemline and it suited her.
I would think it would depend on your hair type, thickness, and your personality on what would look best and on what you would be happiest with.

Johannah
June 30th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I hated not having a real hemline - haha. A combination of FTE and grown-out layers made it really hard to make any buns.

Now I'm maintaining and I cut my hair to a blunt hemline and got rid of layers. I wanted to do this for a very long time but I didn't dare since I heard many complaints. People say it's hard to make buns and to tuck in the ends, but I think it's way easier actually.

Cania
June 30th, 2014, 02:57 AM
It's never really made a huge difference to me. I guess a V hemline makes braids more tricky but it never seems to matter when I do them, I just tuck the ends in ^_^

lapushka
June 30th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I currently have a V (compact cut (shortest) layers), and it never lies in a nice V, it spreads throughout the place and makes the hem very uneven throughout sometimes. V's have their advantages and disadvantages.

arr
June 30th, 2014, 07:24 AM
The last time i went into a salon and asked for a straight across trim i somehow walked out with a choppy V-hemline. The main reason i disliked it is since the sides were shorter than the back (the v went from armpit to waist) i never felt like my hair was long when i looked in the mirror. All i saw was short sides and yes, from the back other people could see some long hair, but i wanted to see some long hair myself without having to look at the back with a mirror. Now I've almost grown out the V and i have predominantly waist length blunt hair and i like it so much better. Its finally starting to look long to me now from the front.

Carolyn
June 30th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I've recently recovered from a V hemline and layers. It looked great if I used product and heat styled it every day. Other than that it had to be in a bun or a ponytail. It was fun to try but I have no desire to go back there again. I now have a very gently U shape with point cut ends. I also hated my fairy tale ends.

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I hate hate HATED my blunt hem once my hair hit midback. My hair is thick and wavy, so a blunt cut sucked for these reasons:

-My braids looked like stubs. Lots of people like the thick-to-the-tassel look, but I prefer my braids to have a subtle taper because thick hair takes FOREVER to get out of the stubby-braid stage.

-My loose hair was a triangle with a blunt cut. Again, lots of people love thick hemlines, but I prefer fairytale ends because my hair's wavy. Fairytale ends help a lot with waves and curls for some reason.

-My hair never FELT long with a blunt cut. Logically I knew it was long, but I still hated how heavy and abrupt it looked, especially since my hair is matte black.

Getting a fairly deep u-hem (sides are waist, middle is hip) with fairytale ends solved these problems nicely. My hair's much lighter both physically and visually, it stopped spreading out so much, and it tapers very well in braids. Naturally tapered braids remind me of paintings and fairytale illustrations.

mermaid lullaby
May 6th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Blunt ends, blunt ends, blunt ends....

It looks terrible on me! When I get to hip length, that sucker is getting a haircut!

JasminxCat
May 6th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Yeah the one I have now
It's like a lop sided U

CuteCrow
May 6th, 2021, 05:52 PM
For me, it was the deep layered V cut that the compact cut (aka Unicorn cut) gives you. My hair is way too fine and sparse, I need something a lot more blunt to keep the main body of my hair but with very subtle layering to help with curl definition.

Also, my current "hemline" is not that pretty either, it's just a kind of glorified mullet that thanks to my curls it just looks like I had a bad haircut haha.

SleepyTangles
May 6th, 2021, 09:56 PM
The hemline I hated more on myself was a deep V. It just looks weird with my hair poofiness.
U-shaped or straight across hemlines are better for me.

0xalis
May 6th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Yeah I hated the awkward non-hemline I had from growing out a buzz cut. Ever since I got it all cut back into a no-layers blunt bob with a very straight across hemline, I've been much happier with my hair. I hate layers in my hair!!

foreveryours
May 7th, 2021, 03:39 AM
Raggedy when much shorter but over time it's grown on me so at my current length, I really like it :D

Iyashikei
May 7th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Just recovered from a grown out mullet. The front was shoulder while the back was almost APL! It looked terrible, luckily the hairdresser was nice enough to give me a blunt hemline yesterday.