PDA

View Full Version : Fine, limp, oily hair...

bunnylake
June 29th, 2014, 07:41 PM
If you have fine hair that gets oily and limp quickly, what do you find works for you as far as products and routine?

My hair is like this and after lots of experimenting I find I need to use a very cleansing shampoo on an almost daily basis, with very little conditioner that is light and preferably silicone free. If I want extra volume I need to use mousse or a volumizing spray. I can use a very light coney serum on my ends once in a while, but I can't use most oils as leave ins. I use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo deep treatment sometimes.
I'm currently using products from Lush & Aveda in my rotation. From Lush I use I Love Juicy shampoo (sulfates & citrus oils!) and Veganese conditioner (very very light detangler). I use the rosemary mint Aveda S&C and the volumizing spray.
When I run out of something I want to try Bumble and bumble Thickening products, but I'm open to other suggestions.

If your hair is like mine, what works for you?

Nadine <3
June 29th, 2014, 07:44 PM
My hair is like this too. I use mostly suave as it's cheep and cone free. My day one hair is nice, day two is okay but more limp...after that I just put it into braids and buns until wash day.

slynr
June 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Yes my hair is like this and it takes a very specific routine to make it look right. Doesn't help that I am growing out highlights so the ends get dry. It is like dealing with two completely different hair types. I have to use sulfate shampoo every 2nd or third wash to keep it looking right. Then I use the loc method for the ends...cone free. Seems to do the trick:)

peachyleshy
June 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
My hair is like this too. The day after I wash it's greasy. I can use dry shampoo and it looks decent (I like Batiste). I usually wash just about every day though. I use head and shoulders and Tresemme shampoo (wash 2x) then I use a silicone conditioner before both washes. A few times a week I'll do a prewash oil treatment. Then if I wear my hair down I'll use a mousse or volumizing lotion. I've found that not using a final rinse out conditioner or a leave in is best when I want volume for my hair. This has been working pretty good for me. :)

renia22
June 29th, 2014, 08:15 PM
My hair is very similar, only it's type 2a so I do go through a frizzy/ poofy phase when it's hot and humid out, at which point I do like more silicones, even in shampoo. Some products I have used and liked:

-Prell shampoo
-Finesse volumizing shampoo & conditioner (or Finesse enhancing or moisturizing when hot & humid out. One of the few lines where the shampoos contain silicones..except the volumizing..and my hair does not get all limp and flat and gross)
-Lush antiphilitron shampoo
-George's aloe shampoo
-Aubrey Organics chamomile luxurious volumizing conditioner (new formula)
-Neutrogena anti residue shampoo
Neutrogena volumizing (green) or replenishing (pink) shampoo & conditioners. Recently discontinued but you could still find it. The conditioners do have silicones, but I have not has issues with them at all
-Paul Mitchell shampoo two
-Klorane nettle shampoo
-mountain ocean shampoo & conditioner (conditioner has silicones)
-Avon advance techniques volumizing shampoo & conditioner, but I heard they reformulated it recently so I don't know if it's still good or not
Herbal essences drama clean

bunnylake
June 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I also love the Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo.
I like Natures Gate Herbal as well. Basically when I read reviews of a product and most people say it's drying, I know it's going to work well for me haha

Anyuta
June 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I have the same problem and I found dry shampoo helps. I try to stretch washes and on the second day with no wash I spray dry shampoo into the roots and it instantly gets volume and removes grease, but at the same time takes away shine and feels heavier. But it's still better than having oily look or needing to wash. Brushing it off makes it very manageable and totally survivable in public for the day.

Another problem with such thin hair is how to sleep on it. When I wake my hair is full of cowlicks and I have to comb it and style well. Granted, I also have random layers sticking out all directions, so hoping that longer hair will look more decent in the mornings :(

renia22
June 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I also love the Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo.
I like Natures Gate Herbal as well. Basically when I read reviews of a product and most people say it's drying, I know it's going to work well for me haha

LOL, I know what you mean! So are you able to use the Nature's gate herbal now that it's sulfate free? I loved it when it had SLES, but since it's been reformulated it makes hair all dry and gummy and coated and tangled. Which formula do you have?

Anyuta
June 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Oh, forgot to add: I stay away from heavily coned conditioners. That makes my hair silky and shiny but only for a matter of hours. Next morning it looks like a sticky grease ball and wash is not an option at that point: it's a requirement! I use oil on damp hair ends, but never on roots.

shinyspoon3
June 29th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I love Lush's Jumping Juniper shampoo bar. It's made for oily hair, and does the trick. After that I rinse my scalp with ACV, then condition the length with either honey or a conditioner. I'm not particularly loyal to any one brand of conditioner. I rotate constantly to avoid build up.

bunnylake
June 29th, 2014, 10:24 PM
The Natures Gate I use is sulfate free, but it is still cleansing enough for me. I do feel like my hair is a bit coated if I use it several days in a row, so I switch back and forth with other shampoos. I bought it because of the amazing reviews and the scent but I'm not in love with it. I probably won't buy it again, but I wanted to try it. Good thing my husband likes it!

terryn
June 29th, 2014, 10:37 PM
My hair used to be like this... it was so greasy I considered washing it 2x daily at some point. It was awful, I always looked gross and my hair had about -10 volume. At that point, I NEVER used conditioner, and washed with suave's clarifying shampoo, which I had ended up at due to frustration. What I changed was how I washed my hair. I decided to go no-'poo (Basking soda/ACV method), and it was AMAZING for my hair. I washed it daily (which is not necessarily recommended) for a time and the change was drastic. So, I started using half of the mixture every other day, then final cut back to only washing every other day. I still use no-'poo and now wash every 3 days. My hair is not long enough to go much longer than that. Although I did consider skipping my wash today because my hair was still pretty decent looking. I almost never get greasy hair now and my hair has about all the volume I think it can get.

What I found to be true was that I was caught in a cycle. I washed my hair with really harsh shampoos because it looked greasy. This stripped all of the natural oils from my hair, so my scalp went into over-production to try and return my hair and scalp to a more balanced state. This caused my hair to look greasy so I washed it again. Now, I'm pretty anti-shampoo unless it is really gentle. I did use Alaffia's Every Day Shea for about a year after I cut off my dreadlocks. I recently switched back to no-'poo and found that I did not have the "detox" period most people experience when going no-'poo.

If this is something you might be interested here's the definitive guide (http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html). From my experience you just have to commit to it. You can't do no-'poo some days and sulfates others. Wash your hair every day at first and slowly start cutting back on the BS and ACV when your hair has adjusted.

HTH! Good luck!

robin000
June 30th, 2014, 01:02 AM
I used to think washing my hair daily with sulfates was the only way I could function, but now I only need to wash every 3 to 5 days (and I only use sulfates occasionally).

When I was washing every day, it would get gross by about 18 hours in. Now I can wear it down for 2-3 days without issue if I want, and it looks and feels fine bunned or braided up to five days. I did find that I couldn't start trying to stretch washes beyond every-other-day until I was able to make a decent bun, though.

I find that the tea-tree oil shampoo from Nature's Gate is strong enough clean well while not being overly harsh.

sarahthegemini
June 30th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I Co-wash every day and use a little bit of leave in conditioner from chin down. I don't use silicones, they weigh my hair down.

renia22
June 30th, 2014, 07:15 AM
The Natures Gate I use is sulfate free, but it is still cleansing enough for me. I do feel like my hair is a bit coated if I use it several days in a row, so I switch back and forth with other shampoos. I bought it because of the amazing reviews and the scent but I'm not in love with it. I probably won't buy it again, but I wanted to try it. Good thing my husband likes it!

That's awesome you can still use it! If you're good with sulfate free, you might also like Aubrey Organics Fern shampoo or Green tea shampoo (old formula/ packaging, the new formula isn't as good in my opinion). Generally I'm not crazy about their shampoos, but those 2 I liked.