PDA

View Full Version : I went swimming today :( Did I take the right precautions?

FallingDarkness
June 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm really concerned about the well being of my hair. That being said, I did everything in my power to get out of going swimming, knowing how harsh chlorine can be, but my parents had different ideas. Before leaving I dampened my hair and smothered it with coconut oil, then putting it in two braids. The moment I got home I clarified my hair and put in a LOT of VO5, leaving that in for 20 minutes then rinsing out with cold water. Do you think my hair will be damaged? I'm going to wait for my hair to dry before dictating whether or not to put in more coconut oil. Any and all advice is welcome :D

Larki
June 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Yup, I think you did everything right! I think the only other thing you could've done is wear a swim cap. I think your hair will be fine!

Manwathiel
June 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM
My rule for hair after swimming is basically what you said... wash it out asap, if you can't then coconut oil would be great. I'm sure your hair is fine. If it feels dry to you then you could do an overnight oiling. I think if you swim a lot, it might be a good idea to invest in one of those swim caps, but to get chroline on it once in a while even for a few hours shouldn't make a different. I go swimming maybe 5x each summer and don't oil after and I've seen no bad effects.

FallingDarkness
June 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Oh thank goodness! My hair is finally getting long so I'm being extra cautious. I don't have a swim cap :(

sarahthegemini
June 30th, 2014, 06:19 AM
One swimming session is not going to destroy your hair.

red-again
June 30th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Tbh, I'd be more worried about putting on and taking off a swim cap causing more damage.

Becs
June 30th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I swam 5 times a week for many years (and actually did not take any precautions for a while) but once I started growing my hair out and caring for it, I would oil it thoroughly with olive oil, then wet my hair down with tap water so that my hair could not absorb the chlorinated water, and then put a swim cap on. I honestly think the cap is what helps the most. I know lots of girls on my swim team who do not take any other precautions to protect their hair from chlorine, and it is still fine. I don't really think caps cause damage, at least they never did for me or my friends. If you are worried about that though, I have heard that silicone caps are gentler than latex. However, I always used latex because silicone would always just slip right off my head and didn't really cover all my hair. But I would recommend trying both and seeing which type works better for you if you are interested. If you plan to swim a lot, I would definitely recommend investing in a cap. They're pretty cheap and super helpful. But other than that, it sounds like you did all the right things to protect your hair!

FallingDarkness
June 30th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I'm allergic to latex anyways so that'd be off the table :P
I know that the likelihood that one swim session would destroy my hair is highly unlikely, but it's still definitely a fear of mine. But according to you guys I did a good job of protecting my hair, plus it's still really soft so I guess it isn't damaged at all! :) Thank you again.