PDA

View Full Version : Travel-friendly oils?

zen_oven
June 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Greetings, all! I'm back after a rather long absence. I've missed this place!

I have an issue that I could use some help with. . . I've gotten more into using oils for my hair and skin, so I always keep my favorite sweet almond oil by the bathroom sink. However, I am traveling more these days (weekend trips and at least one international trip a year), and I'm finding oils a bit difficult to transport as I find they tend to leak and get everywhere! Has anyone found a good solution to this? A particular kind of container? Anything? I'm eager to hear your suggestions. Thanks! :) :blossom:

meteor
June 29th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I have the same problem.
What helps me is putting the container in 3 or more zip-lock bags.

Undomiel
June 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Do you like coconut oil? It's pretty solid and my go to. Never tried almond oil, but I think it is much runnier right? I googled for an oil container idea and found this oil dispenser: http://www.hometone.com/squeeasy-new-oil-dispenser-from-elemental-kitchen.html. It's of course meant for the kitchen lol, but since when do we care about that around here :). Idk if that suits your needs but it looks like kind of a neat idea, if the reviews say it's leak free.

meteor
June 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I'd like to add that I recommend treating traveling with solid oils/butters almost the same way as traveling with liquid ones, because there will probably be changes in temperature that can cause them to melt and leak. I traveled with tightly closed (but not sealed) containers with shea butter and coconut oil from one cold country to another cold country and somehow ended up with goo leaked all over my baggage. Yuck!

Undomiel
June 29th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I'd like to add that I recommend treating traveling with solid oils/butters almost the same way as traveling with liquid ones, because there will probably be changes in temperature that can cause them to melt and leak. I traveled with tightly closed (but not sealed) containers with shea butter and coconut oil from one cold country to another cold country and somehow ended up with goo leaked all over my baggage. Yuck!

Good point! That's happened to me with chapstick once even... blah lol

Larki
June 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM
If you put a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the container, then put the lid over the plastic wrap, it won't be able to leak. :)

Anje
June 29th, 2014, 08:09 PM
If you're flying, consider what the pressure changes will do. (Ditto changing elevations, as I learned going from about 700 feet above sealevel in the midwest to about 8,500 ft up in Colorado a year ago!) Containers that are as full as possible, with some air squeezed out, should leak less. Nevertheless, baggies are your friends! So is opening the bottles over the sink while not wearing important clothes! ;D

Beyond that, I think I've had better luck with little travel bottles with push-pull spouts than with the tilty-push-on-one-side spouts or flip tops or screw tops. I've got a few itty bitty 5mL vials of oil too, which are nice in purses and would work well for traveling.

Nadine <3
June 29th, 2014, 08:49 PM
This *might* be a tmi, but I had some small bottles of personal lubricant that I used up, washed out and filled those with my favorite oils for travel. They seem pretty good, but I do bag them just in case.

lilin
June 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I've always just put a piece of duct tape around the bottom of the cap, going on to the top edge of the bottle, if I'm worried about something leaking. Worked fine for me.

The saran wrap idea sounds really good too.

zen_oven
July 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM
Thank you all! I'm hoping to get away from all the plastic zip locks, so maybe the plastic wrap/duct tape before screwing on the lid would help. I appreciate all of your suggestions so much! Please send more my way if you think of any! :love::love::love:

galaxygal132
July 2nd, 2014, 01:23 AM
I happened upon my solution by accident. I had an empty, travel size, glass listerine bottle and poured my coonut oil in there. I made sure the lid was screwed on tight and it's worked like a charm for years. It does go in my ziplock baggy but I all of my liquid items do. If I'm lucky it's cold anyway and the coconut oil hardens. I soak the bottle in a sink of hot water to get it back to liquid. I use it as a body lotion as well as in my hair. Bonus is it's carry on size :)