PDA

View Full Version : Focusing on protein intake

Hopeful65
June 29th, 2014, 04:35 PM
While I always try to eat healthy anyway, lately I have been trying to focus on protein intake. I check labels, eat eggs, meat, nuts... and a protein bar about 4 times a week. Since starting with the protein bars I have seemed to notice my hair growth has picked up the pace a bit. Could this be the reason? I'm not so much about faster growth, but mostly wanting the growth I do have to be at the healthiest it can be. Knowing that it starts from within, I thought protein surly couldn't hurt.
Does anyone else focus on protein? Is it actually helpful?

dezibela
June 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I'm interested in the answers, too. I eat a LOT of protein to support my weightlifting, & I've noticed that my shedding has diminished by about 60-70%. I'm not seeing faster growth, though.

Johannah
June 30th, 2014, 03:15 AM
I notice when I focus on eating healthier (which includes eating a lot of protein), my hair grows faster. Not sure if it's the healthy food in general or only the protein, but still. Bunzfan, a member, experimented with protein shakes and her hair definitely grew faster. I think it's just a personal thing, but it's worth trying for sure.

Bitstuff
June 30th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I don't know. Seasonal hair growth patterns are real; hair grows more in the summer for most people. That is a more likely reason. It's not like you're eating keratin.

dulce
June 30th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I focus on protein as carbs don't work well for me[PCOS]..My hair also does better[gets thicker] on a higher protein diet[protein shakes,eggs,cottage cheez ,greek yogurt, fish,lots of vegetables almonds and almond milk,and some berries.Higher carbs for me means more insuline which raises testosterone which affects my hair.Curse you PCOS!

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I know when I stepped up my protein intake my hair grew longer. I was eating peanut butter and slim fast. I still do the slim fast but not peanut butter.

hairpleasegrow
June 30th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I was wondering lately if putting natural protein treatments on my hair will help (like eggs or avocado and mayo) ….but this thread got me thinking I haven't been eating a lot of protein lately! Starting from the inside sounds like a much better idea …. :)

swearnsue
June 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
For me starting my morning with a high protein breakfast helps me feel better in general. If I'm feeling well and happy, my hair is too probably.

VJG
June 30th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Upping protein and fat both help my skin and hair health.

RapunzelKat
July 1st, 2014, 12:00 AM
Well, hair is made up of protein (keratin) which your body constructs from the foods you eat. So, eating a well balanced diet with plenty of protein will support maximum health for your hair. :)

I do my best to focus my diet around protein too, though I primarily do it due to a health condition. Starting from the inside out is always a good idea though! :thumbsup:

ETA: If your diet is low in protein, your hair will likely suffer since the more vital systems will get the nutrients before your hair does.