PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Trying to figure out what my frizzy hair wants

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Hi,
I am new. I have about three and a half feet worth of frizzy poofy hair, and I have recently decided that I have had enough of it.

When wet, my hair has nice loose curls and waves, but when it's dry it turns into this:

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Private/_MG_5674_zpsea3da03b.jpg

I have always just used basic tresemme shampoo and conditioner. No irons, no dyes, no blow-drying, etc. Very recently I switched to sheamisture products: yucca and baobab shampoo on my scalp, with coconut and hibiscus condish on the rest, followed by a citric acid rinse and a coconut and hibiscus leave in spray. Its only been about a week. My scalp is usually very oily and itchy. It is less so now, and I think my hair might be a little shinier. Also, when I wet my hair in the shower, it slicks down and detangles a lot faster than it used to. But there has been no change in the frizz and out-of shower-tangles as far as I can tell. So I am wondering what it is that I am missing (no cones!).

I have read that frizziness is caused by dryness, though it seems in most cases when people talk about frizz, they are referring to what I would consider fly-aways. My hair doesn't feel dry or brittle, but maybe I just dont know what dry hair feels like. Should I switch to a stronger leave in, like the SM milk or smoothies, or try a hair masque? It almost seems like a loosing battle.

Sharysa
June 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I think your hair might be suffering combed/brushed wave poof, especially since it curls when wet. Alternately, try just shampooing your scalp and conditioning the length--from how the poof seems to start several inches down, the shampoo might be too hard on your length, especially since you have 3.5 feet of it.

If you comb or especially brush your hair after a shower, you might need to stop that and get a wide-toothed comb instead. Combing and brushing too much is death for waves and curls.

Then for a lot of people with wavy or curly hair, braiding and/or oiling (especially both) helps calm down frizz a LOT.

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Stop brushing your hair when it's dry. To detangle it brush it in the shower, with loads of conditioner through the lengths (palmfuls, no kidding) and then leave it alone when you come out of the shower. No more brushing. You might be more curly than you think. Take a new picture that way, and let us decide.

Cania
June 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Do you brush while it's dry or drying? I agree it looks like brushed out curls.

I'd recommend looking into EVOO or coconut oil and reading up on the curlygirl method. If you really love your products, maybe try a Nightnlooming salve?

DweamGoiL
June 29th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I agree with Lapushka and Sharysa. A proper hairtyping picture is in order. Wash you hair, condition it well or you can simply wash it with conditioner and only comb with a wide-toothed comb, but only in the shower not after. Apply a light coat of leave in and don't touch it any more. Take a picture again once it's completely dry. It will help us see the natural state of your hair without manipulation.

allycat
June 29th, 2014, 03:33 PM
That looks like a gorgeous head of very curly hair brushed out. I think what your hair wants is to not be brushed ;)

Can you do a proper hair-typing pic? I'd love to see what that looks like!

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I finger-detangle in the shower. Once I am out and the hair is still wet, I brush it through (sparingly) with a plastic brush, the kind with a plastic bead on the tip of each bristle. I never brush my hair when it is dry, except the very top part just to comb the strands down. The last time I showered, I didn't use a brush at all on the length, just fingers.

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Sharysa: I have most recently been only shampooing the top, and conditioning the length, but before that I would shampoo everything first.

Next time I shower I will take a pic of my hair after it is dry, with no brushing at all. But, believe it or not, I never brush my hair when it is dry :(

allycat
June 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Well it looks stunning to me, but of the coarse and/or curly hairtype which is the opposite of my own. I'm guessing it's full gorgeous potential comes out with lots of moisture and very little handling.

Waiting for your hair twin types to weigh in...

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I finger-detangle in the shower. Once I am out and the hair is still wet, I brush it through (sparingly) with a plastic brush, the kind with a plastic bead on the tip of each bristle. I never brush my hair when it is dry, except the very top part just to comb the strands down. The last time I showered, I didn't use a brush at all on the length, just fingers.

I'd stop ripping the brush through afterwards, and use a wide-tooth comb in the shower only. Then just leave it be. It's been detangled enough. No need to rip a brush through. Try that, then take a new picture. Let's see if we can spot the difference.

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Thank you :) I will do that tomorrow night and report back.

CurlyCap
June 29th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Brush curly hair even after the shower (while damp) is enough to cause chaos. I only brush my hair if 1) I'm not going anywhere or 2) I know it's going to be put up anyway and so the chaos doesn't matter.

Soak hair in conditioner, finger detangle in the shower (wide tooth come or compact TT if absolutely necessary), rinse, add more conditioner to soaking wet hair, let air dry. Since you're not used to it, the soaking wet hair thing will be annoying.....but let's get that hair type and then we can talk about short cuts to getting your hair drier more quickly.

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I had not thought of using regular conditioner as a leave in. Is that an ok thing to do, even if the instructions dont say it can be used for that?

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I had not thought of using regular conditioner as a leave in. Is that an ok thing to do, even if the instructions dont say it can be used for that?

Yes, it is an OK thing to do. Some conditioners are better for this than others, but you'll have to try and see for yourself. Just use a tiny amount, though!

BonnieU
June 29th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I'm excited to see after shots...I second all these ladies recos....personally, I think too many curlies brush their hair...I don't even own one...or a comb. Will await pics!

patienceneeded
June 29th, 2014, 06:53 PM
As the other posts have said, your hair looks like curls that have been brushed out. Not frizz, but broken brushed out curls. I don't know how to link, perhaps someone else can, but there is a CO Thread on here for Conditioner Only washing that's got good stuff for curly's, and (I think) there is a Curly Girl thread somewhere too.

Do a real hairtyping pic and report back. Stop brushing your hair, in fact, toss your brush. It's not doing you any good.

If your hair is as curly as I suspect, you will be in for a surprise! Your hair has the potential to be gorgeous with the correct care!

Oh, google the book Curly Girl. It's wonderful! Most library systems have a copy or two in circulation you can borrow if you don't want to purchase a copy.

Looking forward to new pics!

MINAKO
June 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
My shot would be CO, oilrinsing, silk protein leave in plus a cone heavy serum and damp bunning overnight, all at once. YOur hair doesnt look damaged but highly porous and with a flat follicle in shape. I have a few of these too in the canopy and they are the hardest to tame. Balls to the wall, it needs any kind of moisture it can retain. You might also want to try molasses as a pre poo.

Seijun
June 29th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Minako: My goal right now is to stay as much as possible with natural oils and the like. :) I suppose if all else fails I could try something with water soluable silicones, or some sort of silicone alternative (if such a thing exists). Maybe something like this? http://www.pureology.com/systems/precious-oil/versatileoil

Crumpet
June 29th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I don't have much to contribute to the other great comments you have received (love the LHC!), except to say that some wavies find that going sulfate and -cone free helps to bring out curls/waves. This change was certainly huge for my hair, but its not true for everyone. Its something you could experiment with though if you're looking for new shampoos and conditioners.

Also, if you decide to try conditioner only washing (CO-washing), you may wish to slowly introduce it -- say, every other wash in your cycle. It can take a little bit of getting accustomed to.

The hairbrush you use sounds like its one of the ones that usually can be damaging and brushes aren't great for waves and curls full stop. As others have said, try to move over to a wide-tooth comb for all of your detangling needs. Or just fingers, which is mostly what I use these days. I do use a brush to smooth out the top of my hair for updos on occasion, but I never brush my hair anymore (and hardly ever comb it with a comb).

CurlyCap
June 29th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Just about any conditioner can be used as a leave in. General guidelines:

1. Wax and silicone heavy conditioners should be avoided as leave-ins. They build up quickly, requiring more frequent shampooing. And if you are using pure conditioner as a leave-in, chances are your hair HATES shampooing.

2. Start small and gradually use more. People with more porous hair tend to use a ton of leave in conditioner (points to self) while others don't need much at all. The worse than can happen if you don't use enough is to have to make a mental note to try more tomorrow. If you use too much for your hair type, it can lead to lank, stringy hair. Not fun.

Sparklylady82
June 30th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I agree, I wonder what your hair would look like unbrushed in its natural state? No brushing, combing etc. Great advise from the LHC!

Johannah
June 30th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I agree with basically everything that's said. I'm excited to see your new pictures, I hope you find out what your hair needs!

Weewah
June 30th, 2014, 03:38 AM
I don't think your length is any more damaged/dry/unhealthy than the hair at the roots. I think your hair at the roots just dries smoother because the hair is being shaped by your head as it dries. The hair at the top of my head dries straighter because of this. :)

I'm excited to see new pics too! No touching your hair at all after the shower, fully detangle in the shower and do one last rinse to make the hair stick back together. Then let drip dry without running your fingers through it at all. Also, if your hair starts looking frizzy while it's drying, just ignore it and don't touch it. Once it's completely dry it'll look normal

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I had similarities with how my hair looked when brushed while wet. Luckily I was told like you are now not to EVER brush my hair and only finger comb it while it is wet. I have a wide tooth wooden comb for when I want to make an updo and want to have all of my hair detangled. I would advice to try some over night oiling before washing your hair. I use coconut oil and my hair looks and feels so much healthier and less freezy! I am sure when you let your hair dry without brushing /combing you will be suprised to see your natural hair pattern!!! Can't wait to see new photos !

Wosie
June 30th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I am also very eager to see how your hair looks like washed and unbrushed. I'm sure it'll be lovely. :blossom: I love wavy and curly hair. :*)

cathair
June 30th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Have you tried scrunching your hair as it dries? You said that it has curls when it is wet, but not when it is dry. Makes me wonder if the weight of the water pulls your curls out as it is drying. I know to make my hair the most curly I need to scrunch it a few times as it dries. It looks like maybe it could do with some more moisture, but it also looks a bit like how much hair reacts to SMT (it hates them), so I don't know about that.

Seijun
June 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Ok, so this morning I did my normal scalp shampoo, followed by condish and finger detaingling, and then added about a tablespoon of condish for leave-in. If I still wanted to do a CA rinse, would I do this before of after applying leave in? Or could I mix the conditioner with the CA rinse and use that for a final rinse?

I spot dried my hair with a microfiber cloth and sprayed in some extra SM mist with some more finger combing. I probably messed with it a bit much because I am trying to figure out how to wash my hair in such a way that it wont need detangling after the shower. Its hard to tell if much is different at this point. It takes about 8 hours for my hair to fully dry.

DweamGoiL
June 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
You might want to show us a picture around 3 hrs of drying time and then after it's fully dried...might be worth noting the change :)

Nadine <3
June 30th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I can't wait to see pictures!!

Seijun
June 30th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately I work today and wont be able to take an in-progress drying shot until I wash again on Wednesday. But if I can describe it. It looks as frizzy as usual on the outside and more frizzy than usual around the scalp. If I dig into the center of my mane where the hair is still ever-so-slightly damp, it is smoother and darker-colored with some waves, but I think it is usually like that as it dries. The last 9" have some loose frizzy curls.

lapushka
June 30th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately I work today and wont be able to take an in-progress drying shot until I wash again on Wednesday. But if I can describe it. It looks as frizzy as usual on the outside and more frizzy than usual around the scalp. If I dig into the center of my mane where the hair is still ever-so-slightly damp, it is smoother and darker-colored with some waves, but I think it is usually like that as it dries. The last 9" have some loose frizzy curls.

If there are curls, then at least that's progress. I would continue this new routine for a while, and take a picture when you can if at all possible. :flower:

Beborani
June 30th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Has the phrase 'curly girl' been used in this thread yet? Everyone here is suggesting a variation of that method, so you might as well read up on it. FWIW, I have not had success with regular conditioner being used as leave in--I tried only twice with two different ones. Each time my hair remained slightly tacky and frizzed after drying--something that hasn't happened to me in years and I have the technique down pat for me. I play it safe and continue using those labeled as leave-in and even amongst those one expensive brand didn't work for me. That is a long way of saying dont give up--perhaps you need a change of product or just more practice.

Seijun
June 30th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I have been reading up on the CG method :) But I am not sure about co-washing only without shampoo. I keep reading that I should not be using conditioner on my scalp. If I used conditioner on my scalp without shampoo, how would I get rid of buildup? Right now I shampoo by mixing in 2 tablespoons with 2 cups of water, and no conditioner on the scalp, and it feels so much better than when I use to condish my scalp :( Like this skin there can actually breath for once.

lapushka
June 30th, 2014, 05:03 PM
You don't have to CO-wash. You can always do a "modified" CG. Many of us do this. I do this. My hair is shampood, and conditioned twice. Then I use the LOC method for styling. The links are in my signature. Just stop brushing the hair - I think that's key here. I mean, I could be wrong, but generally if you want to get away from the frizz, you need to step away from that brush. Fingers or a wide tooth comb only (and preferably when the hair is still wet).

patienceneeded
June 30th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Sounds promising! Step away from the brush (throw it away if you need to) and don't touch your hair at all while drying! Even fingers can disrupt curls and cause frizz. Once you're out of the shower do. not. touch. your. hair. See if it helps.

Looking forward to pics!

DweamGoiL
July 4th, 2014, 01:24 PM
The other thing is that if you are not using conditioner for fear of getting it on your scalp, you can always just condition from the ears down. I do this because my fine hair just fall entirely limp and lifeless if I let a drop of conditioner near my roots. The length does seem to be super thirsty from the pictures you posted and more moisture will bring out your curls. I do agree with the others that you should not brush any more. You can always detangle with a wide tooth comb and work on letting the curls do their own thing.

Seijun
July 8th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Hello again!
I know its a bit late but I have been trying a lot of different things, and (for the most part!) not brushing. Here are some pics:

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/6-20_zps32f0b410.jpg
The is my "normal" hair, dry.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/6-21_zpsd37770ef.jpg
No brushing about 3 hours after a shower, but I did obsessively finger-detangle a lot.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/6-212_zpsf0b13dc2.jpg
From the same day as the last pic, after my hair was dry. Some of the curls came back.

Didnt get any decent pics for a few days after but my hair has gotten a little curlier after each wash and no-brush. Its hard to keep them for more than 12 hours though. I think switching to a hair tie instead of a band would help.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/6-28_zps24b78e13.jpg
From tonight, about 3 hours after a wash. I will have to go to sleep before it is completely dry but will take another pic in the morning. Tonight I tried a proper leave-in (sheamoisture curl and style milk) and I think my hair likes it. I used quite a lot and could probably have used even more. I also switched from a CA rinse to rinsing with aloe gel and water.

The biggest change (since following the basics of the CG method), has been to my scalp. I know I have mentioned this a few times but I am still amazed by it, lol! For years I have had painful scabby and bloody sores on my scalp and large swathes of peeling and flaking skin towards the edges of my hairline. I always attributed this to having too much hair, or just not cleaning hard enough, but now the skin is completely cleared and soft. It feels amazing.

Seijun
July 8th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Oh, one other thing I noticed is that I am loosing MUCH less hair. Normally I would loose what felt like a whole fistful every shower. I don't know how I wasn't bald, but now I only loose a few pinches of hair every shower and almost none the rest of the day. Maybe now I could grow it even longer?

diddiedaisy
July 8th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Wow, that's a big improvement, you must be pleased. Curly hair and brushes just don't like each other do they lol. You look like you could be in the 3's to me.

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Your hair looks so much better in the last pic! You, my dear, have CURLY hair! It's lovely! Throw out your brush, you don't need one! Continue using the CO/Curly Girl methods and your troubled hair will reform and be amazing.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 8th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Your hair does look much better behaved in the last pic! You have lovely curls! Glad you found something that's working for your scalp too.

Johannah
July 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Wow, such a big improvement!! I'm happy for you!

Wosie
July 8th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I'm sure your curls will develop more and more as they get used to the non-brushing. Very nice to see another gal discovering her curls. :flower:

Sparklylady82
July 8th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Yes indeed you are a Curly Girl!!! Your hair looks more amazing with each photo and so much longer too! I'm so happy for you!

Anje
July 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Oooooh, look at those curls starting to form! My understanding is that they should just get better and better with continued use of curly-friendly methods. I'm excited -- that's real progress!

Nadine <3
July 8th, 2014, 03:09 PM
WOW! You hair looks great! What a transformation that is!

eadwine
July 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Another wow.. congrats!! :D

lapushka
July 8th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Your hair looks so much better in the last pic! You, my dear, have CURLY hair! It's lovely! Throw out your brush, you don't need one! Continue using the CO/Curly Girl methods and your troubled hair will reform and be amazing.

This! ^^ Even the excessive finger detangling isn't necessary. Just comb or brush it out in the shower when it's wet and full of conditioner and leave it *alone* afterwards!

I agree about you having made a big improvement already!

NatNat
July 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I was watching this thread in anticipation for your new pictures! I have to say that it looks amazing, such an improvement, and you have beautiful curls.

DweamGoiL
July 8th, 2014, 06:29 PM
That is amazingly wonderful. Congrats!!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Wow, you are a curly hair, it is heading towards awesomeness very rapidly! Can't wait for more progress photos and photos! I think you are going to be very pleased with your hair! It's all a matter of discovering what it likes, hair has a mind of its own, you know :)

Crumpet
July 9th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Wow! Gorgeous curls coming alive. I've been looking forward to this update for a while. I think you'll be so pleased once you start to master the Curly Girl method (or whatever you find works for your curls). Check out the LOC thread also as that has worked well for me (a wavy) and some of the other wavies and curlies here.

I'm looking forward to more photos the more you learn about your texture!

lapushka
July 9th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Check out the LOC thread also as that has worked well for me (a wavy) and some of the other wavies and curlies here.

The link to the LOC method is in my signature. :)

CurlMonster
July 9th, 2014, 07:17 AM
:applause: Your curls are awesome! I bet they will get even better with time too.

IGIT
July 9th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Beautiful curls!! Please let them be this way, STOP the brushing EVER!!shudder:

Bitstuff
July 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Such a visible transformation. Some utterly magnificent hair you have there!

Sharysa
July 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Your hair is already looking gorgeous! Nice to know that stopping the brushing alone has made such a difference!

moontree
July 10th, 2014, 01:59 PM
This thread has been fantastic to watch, I used to have a similar frizz problem, and only recently having stopped brushing my hair so much come to find that it dries pretty wurly! Amazing that might have been my problem all along. Anyway your hair looks great! Keep going.

CurlyCap
July 10th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Lol. Seijun, see you in the Wurly and Curly thread! :cheer:

Silverbrumby
July 10th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Clap, clap, clap. What an exciting thread! You have fabulous hair genes and I can't wait to see the updates.

spidermom
July 11th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Fabulous change for the better. Back when my hair was more curly, I'd brush it before washing, stand upright in the shower with my hair hanging down my body, and be very careful not to mess it all around while washing. I'd wash with diluted shampoo, rinse well, then comb conditioner through my hair. After rinsing, I would leave my hair completely alone except for finger-combing a bit of aloe vera gel or styling gel through my length, smoothing a last bit over the surface to tame the fluffies. Then I left my hair completely alone while it dried. If I was going to bed with wet hair, I'd lift my hair up and drop it into a heap above my pillow with another pillow wedged between mattress and bed frame to keep my hair from sliding off the end and hanging. If you haven't tried that, do. It worked so well.

Seijun
August 8th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Been trying different leave ins. I was allergic to the coconut sheamoisture leave in. I tried one from alba and another from BWC. Both left my hair a lot poofier than the sheamoisture leave in. I don't think they worked as well but I wasn't allergic to either. Now I am using the sheamoisure raw shea butter leave in. Sadly, I am also allergic to it. I was hoping whatever I was allergic to in the other one would not be in this one :( I can use it in the morning and I am ok, but if I use it before bed I wake up with my ears and nose feeling very stuffy. I am still using it though because it keeps the frizz down better than anything else I have tried so far. My hair must be very porous or something, because I can use about a tablespoon of the stuff and my hair soaks it in completely.

Any suggestions for a similar leave in I could try? I would like to find a good all-natural, heave-duty one that I am not allergic to.

Anyway, updated pics:

About 2 weeks ago (using BWC leave in):
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/7-4_zps21dad7fd.jpg

Today (using sheamoisture leave in):
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/7-30_zps717c7a3d.jpg

diddiedaisy
August 8th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Fantastic transformation in such a short space of time. Have you tried using just an oil, rather than a leave in?

GoddessLocks
August 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Wow! Your hair looks so much better! I second trying an oil, my hair is just wavy, but oil really helps. Oil and mousse lol

Seijun
August 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I have not tried a plain oil. I assume something like coconut oil would be fine to start with?

Sparklylady82
August 9th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Amazing progress!!! Do this: In she shower, after you wash and condition and rinse out, keep your hair soaking wet. Turn off shower, add a leave-in (I recomend Kinky Curly Knot Today found at Target) by scrunching it into your soaking wet hair. Cup your hair from the ends and gently bring up and squeeze. Do the same with a few drops of your favorite oil. THEN, you may or may not add a gel (its ok to add alot of gel for your length but try to find one without drying alcohols) with the same scrunching method. Your hair should still feel very wet. Get a microfiber towel and scrunch your hair again and you will see your curls spring up. Air dry and once it is COMPLETELY dry gently scrunch out the crunchiness of the gel and ENJOY your culrs!

jeanniet
August 9th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I use Yes to Blueberries as a leave in. It's fairly rich and the ingredients list is pretty natural. Not too expensive, either. Tresemme Naturals is another one that's fairly popular, but the new formula not so much as the old one. Suave Tropical Coconut is all-around awesome for CO and leave in, although it's a bit light for me. I don't use oils at all anymore.

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Beautiful curls appearing there. I always wanted to be curly. Sadly I am not. So I get my fix looking at pics of curly hair.

CurlyCap
August 9th, 2014, 06:54 AM
You don't have to use an official leave-in as a "leave-in". You can use just about any conditioner and just learn what your hair likes and how much product to use. It actually can end up being much cheaper that way. My guess is you are likely allergic to the perfumes used in SheaMoisture, which are actually quite heavy. And since the entire brand smells the same way, you can't get around it.

I'd start playing around with variations of LOC. People have different interpretations of what that means, but for me it's
1) take soaking wet hair after a co-wash (liquid),
2) Part your hair into ~4 sections and apply 1 tsp of olive oil to each section (oil). Curly hair can tolerate a lot more oil than straight hair. Feel free to go lighter at first if you are afraid to use this much.
3) Spread conditioner (I like suave) over your hair to encourage clumping. It can actually take a few palmfuls.

Your hair will be literally wet with product after all of this. You can just let it air dry. But since your hair is long, you might want to briefly put it up into a microfiber towel to control any drippage and then shove it all up into a silk or satin cap while you sleep and take it down in the morning.

There's a bit of experimentation involved to see what your hair likes, but you'll get there and it'll be awesome. :D

diddiedaisy
August 9th, 2014, 07:44 AM
My hair doesn't like coconut oil, but it does like argan and sweet almond oil. I think it's just a case of trying different oils out.

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Again, wow! Such a big improvement!!

bunzfan
August 9th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Holy wow! looking at that last picture you are a definitely curly co washing is great for curlies/wavies i just noticed i get on better with sulfates again you might try putting a touch of oil only a few drops through just damp hair too my wavy hair particularly loves that :D

Seijun
August 9th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone! I am flat broke so I cant buy anything new until next weekend. I did have some jojoba oil though, so I worked some of that through my hair while it was wet, and will see what happens.

misspurdy06
August 9th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Definitely stop brushing it when it's dry. Your life will make sense again.

EarthArtist
August 9th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Everything they said. You can use an old cotton tee-shirt to dry your hair. Don't rub just squeeze the water gently. Let your hair air dry and don't brush, comb or even finger comb until it's dry.

EarthArtist
August 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Everything they said. You can use an old cotton tee-shirt to dry your hair. Don't rub just squeeze the water gently. Let your hair air dry and don't brush, comb or even finger comb until it's dry.

Don't brush at all was what I meant to say. Just had shoulder surgery so I'm a little doped up 😲

Seijun
August 9th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I haven't been brushing for many weeks now :)

GetMeToWaist
August 10th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I love this thread, so nice seeing a great transformation, and love your hair!

Seijun
August 12th, 2014, 03:48 PM
From this morning:
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/8-12_zps92f2443d.jpg

Dried after using jojoba oil followed by the alba leave in. I will get coconut oil on thursday.

NatNat
August 12th, 2014, 04:18 PM
So pretty :)

Wosie
August 12th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Wow, your hair's journey has been incredible. :bigeyes: I'm happy for you. :blossom: How do you feel about your hair now that you see how curly it really was underneath all that brushing? :D

sablebraids
August 12th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Wow, Seijun. I'm really glad for you. Your hair is lovely. :)

Seijun
August 14th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Wow, your hair's journey has been incredible. :bigeyes: I'm happy for you. :blossom: How do you feel about your hair now that you see how curly it really was underneath all that brushing? :D

It's weird. I cant even remember what its like to not have poofy hair. Its sort of like, someone replaced my hair with new hair, lol.

There is still a very stubborn outer layer that insists on being way frizzer than all the hair underneath. So for funzies here is what it looks like underneith the frizz layer. http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/aP1030351_zps06aac59e.jpg

Seijun
August 14th, 2014, 11:20 PM

It's weird. I cant even remember what its like to not have poofy hair. Its sort of like, someone replaced my hair with new hair, lol.

There is still a very stubborn outer layer that insists on being way frizzer than all the hair underneath. So for funzies here is what it looks like underneith the frizz layer. http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/Hair/aP1030351_zps06aac59e.jpg

Seijun
August 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I got to try coconut oil last night. I worked some in and then worked in the alba leave in. I think I may have used to much because my hair seems much more limp than before and VERY stringy at the ends. However, I did change my regular conditioner at the same time, so that might also have something to do with it. I am trying a natures gate brand condish because it is easy to get locally, is cheaper, and doesnt smell strong. It feels like it washes out too easily though.. With the sheamoisture condish, I could rinse and still feel some slip to my hair, but the natures gate brand feels like it washes out instantly.

molljo
August 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM
With leave-ins and oils, I've found that using a leave-in *before* sealing with an oil gives much better results. Your under layer in that pic is beautiful, by the way.

chelsea89ms
August 15th, 2014, 04:46 PM
What beautiful curls!! :cheer: Its incredible what a difference a brush makes! I recently started using mineral oil (baby oil) after my leave in. It has really helped me with frizz, it makes my thin curly hair smooth without weighing it down. Here is the forum if your interested...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298&highlight=mineral+oil
This is Ktani's blog she has tons of great info http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2013/11/curly-hair-and-mineral-oil.html

lapushka
August 15th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Pretty! Try and moisturize the outer layer a little more (focus the leave in and the oil or smoothing serum more on those parts).