PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Length

Haldir
September 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I've been wanting to grow my hair out to mid-thigh and then as long as possible... but recently I've realized that my hair doesn't seem to be growing at all (for like 2 months or more) and that it's just stopped at tailbone. Does this mean that it's never going to grow any longer than that?? :(

Islandgrrl
September 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Not necessarily. You may have just hit a stall. :)

anna1850
September 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I believe the rule is you have to be at the same length for a year to be able to proclaim terminal.

I wouldn't worry, particularly if you don't have major tapering/fairytale ends you are unlikely to be there yet.

spidermom
September 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Agreed. Give it at least a year before you decide it isn't growing any more. If the ends are damaged, trim them.

Unnamed
September 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I doubt you're at terminal length yet--probably just a stall.

I've had several stalls at shorter lengths (hip to classic) of about two months of absolutely no growth, and I've seen others mention them, too, with 2-3 months being pretty common.

In my opinion, one would have to be at the same length for at least a full year (but still isn't a 100% for sure thing and could start up again--and no trimming at all), and that after any trimming it would start growing right away but always stop at that same length with the same appearance again.

Arctic_Mama
September 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Give it some more time, I agree. Some people really do hit terminal with three years of growth but that's not normal, by any means. Usually 5-6 years worth of growth is closer to terminal for most people, where the individual strand just won't grow any longer before shedding.