PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite hairstyles?

aforestfae
June 29th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hello :)
I am looking for some new updo ideas and wondered what everyone's favourite styles are.
My favourite styles are braids that are pinned up in intricate styles like the Queen Ravenna braided updo, sock buns, french twists, fishtail and french braids and Gibson girl hair :)

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I like a plain bun held with a snood. If not that a claw clip twist and wearing a French braid tucked under.

Jenny31557
June 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
My favourite is a flipped cinnanon bun which I am wearing right now. :)

Stiria
June 29th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Interlaced braids! Very comfortable and stay in place all day long. Perfect for working out. And the braidwaves...:o Kmemuse's braided ladder bun is another favorite. And the oval bun. And the flutterby. I like braided updos:)

StellaKatherine
June 29th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Lately I wear mostly celtic knot bun. Fast, easy, good looking. Makes my buns look big :D Otherwise I am huge fan of the braids. Few more inches and my new favorite will be the braid around my head!!!!! So close....... :crush:

dancingpoet
June 29th, 2014, 10:31 AM
For me, it's the infinity bun ("cheater" version... it just holds better). Lazy wrap bun is good too. I also love the rose bun, or the vortex bun done with rope braids. It looks huge, but it lays really flat and holds nicely for dancing. It also requires less pins when done with rope braids.

Madora
June 29th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Fake Juyla Timochenko braid (which was done with a Dutch accent braiding):
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/427FauxYulaTymenchenko.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/427FauxYulaTymenchenko.jpg.html)
(

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Loose, LWB, infinity bun, cinnamon bun, English braid to the side. Nothing intricate because I get too frustrated.

queenovnight
June 29th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Hm. I don't necessarily have a favorite, but lately, I've been pretty obsessed with the roped vortex bun.

Madora, What a beautiful hairstyle!

Madora
June 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks, queenovnight! It's comfy to sleep on too!

meteor
June 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I really like braided styles, too. Braided cinnabun, coronet braid, a version of Elling bun... Very comfy and secure, and the braiding contains hair and replaces twisting, which I find damaging.

rags
June 29th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I don't like braided styles as much, because it tends to emphasize my hair's thinness. Except for double Dutch braids - LOVE those when my arthritis will allow me to braid. I guess my favorites would be the lazy wrap bun and the Nautilus.

Yozhik
June 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM
My favorite updo is probably either the crown braid or double Dutch braids into a Chinese bun. I also like the Ellingswoman bun and interlaced Dutch braids. :agree:

Usually, however, convenience wins over intricacy, and I just have my hair up in a cinnabun or a bunne French braid. :shrug: :p

StellaKatherine
June 29th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Fake Juyla Timochenko braid (which was done with a Dutch accent braiding):
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/427FauxYulaTymenchenko.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/427FauxYulaTymenchenko.jpg.html)
(

Stunning!!!! Your hair is SO beautiful :crush: I am couple of inches away from making this one as real!! My hair's ends do touch the start of the braid when going around my head but still need to grow few inches to have the braided ends touching the start :) That was my grandmother's favorite hairstyle as I've heard and I hope at this time next year I will have it :pray:

meteor
June 29th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Stunning!!!! Your hair is SO beautiful :crush: I am couple of inches away from making this one as real!! My hair's ends do touch the start of the braid when going around my head but still need to grow few inches to have the braided ends touching the start :) That was my grandmother's favorite hairstyle as I've heard and I hope at this time next year I will have it :pray:

StellaKatherine, you can do it if you use 2 braids instead of one.
Interlace the 2 braids in the back like on the picture below and then bring the two braids over to the top of your head and secure with pins / mini claw-clips.
http://rapunzelsresource.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/woven-crown-1.jpg?w=225&h=300
http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/

It's also possible to do it with one braid at pre-classic length if you start the braid rather high and make a small coronet instead of it covering your whole head.

It's also doable with one braid as a half-up on shorter hair:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/de/90/96/de9096ac007a1b0f6ca5dcb0bb51f2d9.jpg

Madora
June 29th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks very much, StellaKatherine
! Meteor, you're right on the money! You can also do a fake crown braid (like Juyla) if you just lace accent braid your hair around your head.

I can actually now do a true Juyla T. crown braid...but it looks pitiful since my braid taper leaves a lot to be desired. I like Juyla's perfect braid crown (even if it was fake). There's just something so elegant and royal about it. "Princess-y", if you like.

Crumpet
June 29th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I'm lazy about doing my hair. Also, like Rags, I avoid braids since my hair is fine and compacts into nothingness if braided (the braids have to be fairly tight or else the fine hairs escape, so no braid-fluffing!).

My favorites are: disc bun (so pretty/easy/secure), nautalis (fast, bigger), flipped cinnabun/gibraltar (secure/easy), log roll (pretty/easy/length-eating), hypno (pretty, big).

At shorter lengths, I loved the French twist, but now I do the log roll instead. I do like the infinity bun and a few others, but always forget to do them!

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 01:59 AM
I kinda little dislike, that people call that hairstyle a "Julia Tymoshenko"- hairstyle. As she was the one who invented it ... That is the only thing what I hate when I put my hair with two braids around my head as people start saying such things like " Oh is that for Ukraine? Do you like Julia Tymoshenko? " And when she was still in prison people would ask me if my hairstyle is a solidarity for Julia Tymoshenko ?

I know, that I could "fake" it and I could do the half up ( btw meteor your half up with a braided crown is divine!!! I wish my braid would look even half as good as yours :crush: ) but I know as well it will not ever feel the same untill I can actually do it for REAL!!!!!! :D

Btw this is my Madora crown I sometimes do on myself :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10351241_756194267764336_7968404381673541437_n.jpg

Johannah
June 30th, 2014, 02:31 AM
I like a simple nautilus bun most, with a flexi8. Simple and pretty. :)

Madora
June 30th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I kinda little dislike, that people call that hairstyle a "Julia Tymoshenko"- hairstyle. As she wasn't the one who invented it ... That is the only thing what I hate when I put my hair with two braids around my head as people start saying such things like " Oh is that for Ukraine? Do you like Julia Tymoshenko? " And when she was still in prison people would ask me if my hairstyle is a solidarity for Julia Tymoshenko ?

I know, that I could "fake" it and I could do the half up ( btw meteor your half up with a braided crown is divine!!! I wish my braid would look even half as good as yours :crush: ) but I know as well it will not ever feel the same untill I can actually do it for REAL!!!!!! :D

Btw this is my Madora crown I sometimes do on myself :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10351241_756194267764336_7968404381673541437_n.jpg

Oh, StellaKatherine, your "Madora" looks sensational!!

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Madora , thank you for your kind words! And thank you for amazing hairstyle :flower:

queenovnight
June 30th, 2014, 07:04 AM
StellaKatherine,
Omg. I'm in love with your hair! Absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait until my hair is long enough to try that! - I'm in a world of hair-envy right now.

PrincessPhoebe
June 30th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Disc bun is my favourite by far. Usually held with a Flexi-8 or Ficarre. I do have some lovely sticks as well, but I have to do the bun a lot tighter to get them to hold, then my scalp gets tender more quickly. I love all these beautiful braided styles though :crush:. My hair will just not do a middle parting, so anything starting with a braid on either side is just never going to happen :(.

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 07:57 AM
StellaKatherine,
Omg. I'm in love with your hair! Absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait until my hair is long enough to try that! - I'm in a world of hair-envy right now.

You made my day :flower: I never in mine life would think anyone would like my hair that much :D Thank you !!! I personally can't stop admiring your hair! LOVE thick, curly and dark hair!! Stunning! :crush:

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 10:53 AM
StellaKatherine, that's such a gorgeous style on super gorgeous hair! :thudpile:
I definitely prefer Madora's style to the original coronet (what they call "Timoshenko") braid, because it looks a lot nicer and more interesting from the back.
Unfortunately, I find French-braiding my hair super-frustrating and tangle-enducing, so this style would take me at least an hour to do, while coronet is a 5-minute endeavor.
Oh, and those photos were not mine, I just wanted to show styles one can do if the hair isn't long enough for the traditional coronet.

Madora
June 30th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I'm glad you included the pix, Meteor, because it shows that you can achieve certain effects by different approaches. I know sometimes it seems we are just zoned in on one particular method of achieving a style, when there are other ways of doing it (the "can't see the forest for the trees" thingie). I was certainly guilty of this for a long time!:)

Experimenting with different techniques can sometimes yield beautiful results!

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 11:36 AM
For everyday wear: A braid or pigtail braids, frequently Dutch for better containment. Fishtail braids are awesome if I don't mind twenty minutes of styling.

Special occasions or feeling pretty: Loose, half-up braids, crown braids, or Game of Thrones half-ups. Especially Daenerys' and Cersei's styles. Say what you want about Cersei, but she has damn good hair.

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 12:21 PM
StellaKatherine, that's such a gorgeous style on super gorgeous hair! :thudpile:
I definitely prefer Madora's style to the original coronet (what they call "Timoshenko") braid, because it looks a lot nicer and more interesting from the back.
Unfortunately, I find French-braiding my hair super-frustrating and tangle-enducing, so this style would take me at least an hour to do, while coronet is a 5-minute endeavor.
Oh, and those photos were not mine, I just wanted to show styles one can do if the hair isn't long enough for the traditional coronet.

Thank you sweety ! :flower:

Thank you for sharing your those photos. I think I will try out the crown braid half up as it is really amazing. Maybe will make it with a ribbon to give some nice texture and make braid thicker looking :D

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Sharysa , I love those Game of Thrones hairstyles. But I feel I do not have enough of hair for them :D

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
How do you not have enough hair for Game of Thrones?! It's way longer than mine! :D

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 12:54 PM
How do you not have enough hair for Game of Thrones?! It's way longer than mine! :D

I feel, that when I take half of my hair that needed for the halfupdo- it leaves almost nothing behind. It seems I have more hair growing near my face and less near my neck.... I have enough of lenght, but with half of hair up and what is left open, the hair is see trough.... :cry:

shinyspoon3
June 30th, 2014, 01:17 PM
My go-to is the cinnamon bun, which I didn't know had a name until I came here. It's easy, fast, and looks like I put more effort into it than I actually did.
Side note: This thread has been an awesome vocabulary lesson! Thanks! ...now I'm heading to google to find out what all of it means. A disc bun? flipped cinnamon bun? So many terms!

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I kinda little dislike, that people call that hairstyle a "Julia Tymoshenko"- hairstyle. As she wasn't the one who invented it ... That is the only thing what I hate when I put my hair with two braids around my head as people start saying such things like " Oh is that for Ukraine? Do you like Julia Tymoshenko? " And when she was still in prison people would ask me if my hairstyle is a solidarity for Julia Tymoshenko ?

I know! :lol: As if women wear highlighted bobs out of solidarity for Hillary Clinton!
On the one hand the misnomer is a bit annoying, on the other: I'm grateful that Tymoshenko brought this style some visibility, not to mention broke the unspoken rule that all women in politics have to have a mandatory pixie/bob.

I'm curious: is all of it her real hair? I'm assuming she bleaches hair (because I've seen pictures with pretty dark roots), and bleached hair being so gorgeous, thick and taper-free at classic+ length is really rare.
Sorry for the mini-thread hijack. :oops:

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Totally off topic :D

I know! :lol: As if women wear highlighted bobs out of solidarity for Hillary Clinton!
On the one hand the misnomer is a bit annoying, on the other: I'm grateful that Tymoshenko brought this style some visibility, not to mention broke the unspoken rule that all women in politics have to have a mandatory pixie/bob.

I'm curious: is all of it her real hair? I'm assuming she bleaches hair (because I've seen pictures with pretty dark roots), and bleached hair being so gorgeous, thick and taper-free at classic+ length is really rare.
Sorry for the mini-thread hijack. :oops:

It isn't all of her hair. If you google you can see her hair as in the natural state. There was something with her having a name of an " Gas Princess" while she was having, that black hair. So she "invented" this look with blond hair and around the head to give the impression of a person close to the Ukrainian roots.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Xie4M5ZZIew/S204nijxmdI/AAAAAAAACoc/jTW04oD_yOE/s400/YuliaTimoshenko-300%20black%20hair.jpg

Here her hair is down.. No way you could braid the whole braid around the head with that lenght http://en.for-ua.com/files/blogfoto/Vay_01.jpg

Here is her braid. But really it isn't 1. thick enough or 2. long enough to look like hers does when it is up. Mine is longer and I still can't get the whole circle..... http://en.rian.ru/images/15762/57/157625748.jpg

Yeah. It is nice, that she showed that woman in politics can have the long hair. But at same time I hate that EVERONE think right away of her when someone has crown braid.

Ps. I think she looked amazing with her black hair and a crown braid ! :crush:
http://www.kmu.gov.ua/img/publishing/85181442/image001.jpg

meteor
June 30th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much, StellaKatherine! Great info! :D

And she does look amazing with both blonde and brunette coronet braid. It's actually not an easy style to pull off!

Sharysa
June 30th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I feel, that when I take half of my hair that needed for the halfupdo- it leaves almost nothing behind. It seems I have more hair growing near my face and less near my neck.... I have enough of lenght, but with half of hair up and what is left open, the hair is see trough.... :cry:

I find what helps is not to take literally half of your hair for the styles--the little twists and braids are only about a finger-width wide. Try just taking the area around your hairline and temples for the little braids.

Half-up styles in general only need a fourth to a third of your hair.

sourgrl
June 30th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Lazy wrap buns! And flipped cinnabun with my ficcares :)

swords & roses
June 30th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Lazy Wrap Bun with a pretty stick. Bonus if the stick has dangles!

StellaKatherine
July 1st, 2014, 12:44 AM
I find what helps is not to take literally half of your hair for the styles--the little twists and braids are only about a finger-width wide. Try just taking the area around your hairline and temples for the little braids.

Half-up styles in general only need a fourth to a third of your hair.

Hmmm... I might have taken too much of my hair I guess.... I must be too greedy for thick braids :D I shall try and see how it will look like :) Thank you for your advice :flower:

StellaKatherine
July 1st, 2014, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much, StellaKatherine! Great info! :D

And she does look amazing with both blonde and brunette coronet braid. It's actually not an easy style to pull off!

Coronet braid actually fits my face very well. I've tried with putting a ribbon inside my own braid so that it gives extra lenght to my hair with which I could end the circle. Hmmm , maybe I should get some new ribbons :D

Stiria
July 3rd, 2014, 06:18 AM
^You totally should! And then post picures of course:D

Sigh.. I wish I could pull off the crown braid. It looks good from the front and back, but really weird from the side.:rolleyes:

Thepirategeisha
July 3rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
My favorite everyday styles are a single braid, braided bun or double braided bun a la Katniss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGIzK_F5Unw

But for fancy occasions I love bandana waves, half-up braided styles and lots and lots of flower accessories!

StellaKatherine
July 5th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Made a paranda yesterday and now I finally can make my pink coronet braid :inlove: I might start wearing this now :D

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/Arelyn_bucket/Picture0187.jpg

AmberJewel
July 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
My current most-used style is probably a French braid bunned with a homemade stick.
I love the look of your customer braid, StellaKatherine. Is there a there's on how to make and use a paranda?

AmberJewel
July 5th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I meant "coronet" braid. My stupid computer keeps substituting words on me.

StellaKatherine
July 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM
AmberJewel, here is post about parandas :D I just made my first, so learning the things I can do with it myself :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490