PDA

View Full Version : So what can my hair be missing, or is the big shop that awaits?

Rhodugune
June 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM
So my ends aren't in the best shape shape they can be, due last year was a hard one for me, didn't have the energy to care for it properly, left it down a lot among other things as I was both depressed and moving from place looking for a place of my own as I was leaving a 10 plus years relationship.

At last I have a place of my one again and I want to be good to it again, to myself, take care of me and my hair better.

In short my hair suffered for the last year's lack of energy, the ends feel dry and there is a lot of breakage, feels frizzy and a little bit like velcro brushing them, when I have detangled my hair it still is kind of a small resistance as I reach the ends with my brush, if you know what I mean, like it just tangles up on itself?
I thought if there was somethings I could try to revitalize them before resigning to do the big shop?

I did a massive S&D about two months ago, sat for several hours for several days and snipped away split ends strand by strand, about 7 inches up in my lengths and it the felt so much more smooth and healthy, but now I feel my ends again look like I didn't do it at all.
And I have been taking care of it since then, well to the best of my ability. :P
That's where you guys come in, need some help, because what I'm doing isn't working. :)

What I am doing, stretching my washes, almost up to a week again, I co-wash, for now I'm just using Garniers strength and shine, but I'm planing to change to another one or two, since I found out they do animal testing on their products, I do live in Sweden so I don't know if you can recommend any other conditioner?
Wear it up daily, try to vary how I put it up, sleep with it in a braid, have a satin pillowcase.
Just bought some catnip, thought I try to do a rinse every time I wash it and I use coconut oil on the ends after I shower or mixed with some conditioner in the ends for awhile before I wash it.
Just I did a little mini trim, yet to wait for the result as I plan to wash it today and its covered in my oil and conditioner mix, but I doubt that will be enough, both the trim and the mix.

So I don't know if there some easy things/ways I can try see if it needs more protein or something else, before I admit defeat?
I'm glad for any sort of input, how bad do you think it looks, honest?
What would you have done if it was your hair?
No need to spare my feelings, I like it blunt and honest, then I know what I can work with.

Here is a pic of how my hair has looked over the last few months, can get a new one as soon as it's dried.
I think it looks a bit better on the last two pics after I did the S&D.
Can add I like my ends to be fairytale endings, but they are a bit too thinning for my taste, but maybe its better for my hair to try more a blunt cut?
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10325257_10152196058264011_2768404922273998546_n.j pg

Johannah
June 29th, 2014, 06:38 AM
First, I'm sorry to hear what you've been through *hugs*

Second, I don't think your hair is that bad as you describe, at least not in pictures. Off course I can't feel your ends in real life :p I've had this problem as well, and it turned out I needed more protein in my hair care routine. Not to say I actually quite overmoisturized since my hair got chronic dryness. When I conditioned, my hair was great for one day, and afterwards it was extremely dry, especially on the ends. It could be different for you, but you can 'test' if you need moisture or protein: http://voices.yahoo.com/the-fine-art-protein-moisture-balancing-for-393904.html?cat=69 (at the bottom: wet assessment). If you still want to use protein, I'd use a mild protein treatment to try out first.

Different than that: you're sure there's no buildup because of the CO? My hair tends to go CRAZY when I CO for a while.

Edit: personally, I like blunt hemlines more. But you need to do what YOU like, not someone else.

leilani
June 29th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I would do v shape hemline with fey's self trim, ending at bcl or tbl, shortest layers at waist. If hair didn't feel great at the ends still I would compact cut at least 4-5" with ponytail on top of head, as that would remove the hair which sees the brunt of everyday wear and tear but you wouldn't lose any length. If hair was still in bad shape (&protein,moisture had already been added aplenty as needed), I'd go back to fey's self trim (or compact cut if you feel the damage is more canopy and you don't mind layers) and take off an inch at a time over the rest of the summer, whilst continuing to pamper it, until I thought it was all in lovely condition.

Dessi
June 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I think your hair is beautiful! If it was my hair I would cut an inch. And it looks so much better after doing the S&D. But I'm pretty sure ladies here know better than me and they would give you better suggestions.

picklepie
June 29th, 2014, 06:53 AM
How recently have you clarified, and what was your method?

queenovnight
June 29th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Well, I have no words of advice, but I did want to say that I think your hair is absolutely beautiful and from the photos, it really doesn't look damaged.

NataschaB.
June 29th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I agree with queenovnight! Your hair is beautiful!!! :o

Hrtchoco
June 29th, 2014, 08:22 AM
TBH, I think once hair is dead, it's dead. Just take care the good new hair and slowly cut off the dead ends. Your hair will looking pretty in no time(although from the pictures, your hair looks fine).

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I'd try the LOC method, it's awesome for your ends, and you don't necessarily need to use the last step (gel/styling cream) if you don't want to. The link is in my signature.

Jumper
June 29th, 2014, 09:20 PM
TBH, I think once hair is dead, it's dead. Just take care the good new hair and slowly cut off the dead ends. Your hair will looking pretty in no time(although from the pictures, your hair looks fine).

It's all dead...

AmyBeth
June 29th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Rhodegune, your pictures have inspired me since I joined LHC, and to me, your hair looks as spectacular as ever. I love your hair! I love the color, the waves, the fairy tale ends, the length! I'm glad that you have come through your hard times and can take better care of yourself and your beautiful hair now. It's none of my business, and if you ever feel you need to do a big chop, I will wish you well, but I would be sad! Perhaps if you pamper it enough, you can avoid cutting it. Or maybe have a friend help you to do microtrims so you won't lose those gorgeous fairy tale ends!

AmyBeth
June 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM
PS- I recommend coconut oil on your ends every night!

inanna
June 29th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Has coconut oil worked well for you before? The reason I'm asking is that I really can't use it on my ends without them going velcro-y. After a quick look around the Garnier website it looks as though the conditioner you're using has silicone in it, and cones don't always play nice with oils. The crunch could very well be mostly product build-up!

The first thing I'd recommend is clarifying your hair and giving it a good soak in a moisturising silicone-free deep treatment. I love the XZ stuff myself, but I'm not sure if it's available in Sweden.

I love the look of your fairy tale ends, so if you do decide to trim off a bit, I heartily recommend going with a V shape so you don't lose that beautiful hemline! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 30th, 2014, 04:19 AM
My ends also feel crunchy from time to time and mineral oil on damp ends and bunning overnight really helps.

As for the shape, i second v hemline thing. Don't lose all that length, it's gorgeous! :(

StellaKatherine
June 30th, 2014, 04:42 AM
I am too suffering for some dry ends and some breakage. Started over night oiling with coconut oil before washing my hair. I still need to find a good leave on conditioner. But I've noticed right away, that my ends are looking much smoother and feel les dry. Anyway I think your hair looks beautiful! Unfortunantly stress affect our hair condition very much and you definitely had some.. :grouphug:

tigereye
June 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM
I'd recommend clarifying, maybe snipping off an inch then micro trimming to keep the ends decent until the damage grows down.
About the conditioner - no cosmetic products, including hair products, are allowed to be sold in the EU if they are tested on animals anywhere in the world (unless it's for a medical condition, which doesn't apply for Garnier). That said, the company might sell products tested on animals in other countries which aren't sold in the EU. In which case, you'd be pretty safe looking at products made by companies based in the EU, as testing is prohibited for them in EU countries.

Many big international companies like P&G, unilever or L'oreal only test "where required" by law, but in some countries such testing is required (up until very recently - within the last few weeks - this included any company selling cosmetics or toiletries products in China).

kitcatsmeow
June 30th, 2014, 05:25 AM
My ends also feel crunchy from time to time and mineral oil on damp ends and bunning overnight really helps.

As for the shape, i second v hemline thing. Don't lose all that length, it's gorgeous! :(

Mineral oil is my staple and the only oil other than a "seal" of argan I use.

renia22
June 30th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Your hair is beautiful, I would not cut it. I agree with those who say clarifying is in order. That probably will do the trick.

Hrtchoco
June 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM
It's all dead...

Dead as damaged.