PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I have breakage.....different hair style ideas

sarahthegemini
June 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
My hairdresser noticed I have a bit of breakage at the back/canopy. I, for months, wore my hair twisted up in a claw clip. Then I got the hang of doing a cinnabun (I think?) secured with a beak clip. Now I am able to use spin pins to secure the cinnabun. I am worried tho that the breakage is from twisting the hair to make the cinnabun. I am able to bun slightly looser now with spin pins (with the beak clip I twisted and bunned quite snugly) However, despite actually staying put mostly, hairs do escape. Anyway, are there any tips you could give to prevent further breakage? I don't know how bad it is as I can't see it. Any other styles I could try that I could secure with spin pins?

RapunzelKat
June 28th, 2014, 02:37 PM
What about a tucked French braid? Not a spin pin style, but you can French braid pretty loosely and still have a fairly solid style. Those little U-shaped hairpins would probably be good for securing that particular style.

Also, maybe a peacock twist? You might be able to secure that with the smaller spin pins, depending on if you can hide them in the twist. If now, hairpins would probably work for that, too :)

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I know what you're saying about claw clip twist styles they broke my hair. I do a loose bun held my a snood. You could try that.

shinyspoon3
June 28th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I had/have the same problem. I found that the biggest factor in breakage wasn't so much the twisting, but actually the weight of my hair always sitting in the same spot on my head. Spin pins help with the problem since they hold my hair so securely, but I always made buns in the same place on the back of my head, and the weight would pull on it all day. My hair is too fine to bear the weight of hanging in the same spot, and it's only gotten worse as it has gotten longer, so the top layer of hair snaps really easy at the back of the crown. This is even worse when I'm rushed and put my hair up damp. Then my hair is really weak, and really heavy.

My advice is to put the weight in different places, especially the very top of your head so your head bears all the weight instead of your fine hair, or divide the hair and half and do mini-buns on the sides. I think you'll have less breakage if you mix it up. That's what helped me anyway.

cathair
June 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Have you got enough length to do a lazy wrap or l-infinity bun held with spin pins? Or could you make a braid and then bun that with spin pins so there was less twisting?

Anje
June 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Check your claw clips and break clips. Some of those things have sharp edges (especially break clips), which could explain the whole thing. Yes, really tight twists aren't good, particularly if you do them wet while the hair is stretchy, but if you don't feel anything snapping it wouldn't be my first suspect.

Kherome
June 29th, 2014, 08:25 AM
My hairdresser noticed I have a bit of breakage at the back/canopy. I, for months, wore my hair twisted up in a claw clip. Then I got the hang of doing a cinnabun (I think?) secured with a beak clip. Now I am able to use spin pins to secure the cinnabun. I am worried tho that the breakage is from twisting the hair to make the cinnabun. I am able to bun slightly looser now with spin pins (with the beak clip I twisted and bunned quite snugly) However, despite actually staying put mostly, hairs do escape. Anyway, are there any tips you could give to prevent further breakage? I don't know how bad it is as I can't see it. Any other styles I could try that I could secure with spin pins?

If you want to be able to do really loose but secure styles I recommend investing in a Jeter fork. I can make buns that would never hold any other way because they are so loose, and my Jeter forks will keep them stable all day. Plus they are less damaging than clips and claws and such.

sarahthegemini
June 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM
What about a tucked French braid? Not a spin pin style, but you can French braid pretty loosely and still have a fairly solid style. Those little U-shaped hairpins would probably be good for securing that particular style.

Also, maybe a peacock twist? You might be able to secure that with the smaller spin pins, depending on if you can hide them in the twist. If now, hairpins would probably work for that, too :)

I can't get the hang of french braiding :( I'm all fingers and thumbs! I can just about do a french twist with bobby pins but I am not sure the style suits me. I definitely want to get hokd of some U-pins though whicj might help expand my style repertoire.

I know what you're saying about claw clip twist styles they broke my hair. I do a loose bun held my a snood. You could try that.

It sucks, what's worse is I can't assess the breakage because I can't see it on myself.

I had/have the same problem. I found that the biggest factor in breakage wasn't so much the twisting, but actually the weight of my hair always sitting in the same spot on my head. Spin pins help with the problem since they hold my hair so securely, but I always made buns in the same place on the back of my head, and the weight would pull on it all day. My hair is too fine to bear the weight of hanging in the same spot, and it's only gotten worse as it has gotten longer, so the top layer of hair snaps really easy at the back of the crown. This is even worse when I'm rushed and put my hair up damp. Then my hair is really weak, and really heavy.

My advice is to put the weight in different places, especially the very top of your head so your head bears all the weight instead of your fine hair, or divide the hair and half and do mini-buns on the sides. I think you'll have less breakage if you mix it up. That's what helped me anyway.

I'm trying to move the bun placement around a bit but if it's high up, my hair slips out so it needs a bit more trial and error. I will try a side bun next time.

Have you got enough length to do a lazy wrap or l-infinity bun held with spin pins? Or could you make a braid and then bun that with spin pins so there was less twisting?

My hair is onky just above collarbone so I don't think a LWB would work. I'm not sure what an infinity bun is, I'll look on you tube :)

Check your claw clips and break clips. Some of those things have sharp edges (especially break clips), which could explain the whole thing. Yes, really tight twists aren't good, particularly if you do them wet while the hair is stretchy, but if you don't feel anything snapping it wouldn't be my first suspect.

Funny you should say that, I did notice a short while back that my claw clip had a broken sharp bit. I immediately threw it out but I can't be sure how long it was like that before I noticed. I never ever put my hair up when it's wet, only when it is 100% dry, and I don't twist super tight - I definitely don't feel any pulling or snapping.

If you want to be able to do really loose but secure styles I recommend investing in a Jeter fork. I can make buns that would never hold any other way because they are so loose, and my Jeter forks will keep them stable all day. Plus they are less damaging than clips and claws and such.

I'd quite like to try a small fork, at the moment I have a couple 2-pronged sticks/forks that I just can't get to work :(

QMacrocarpa
June 29th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I doubt it's the clips, unless they have sharp bits. I wore an octopus clip pretty much daily for months during an awkward stage, and it was really protective for my split- and breakage-prone hair. Spin-pins worked great for my tucked French braid (which I miss!). You might try that style with a "faux" French braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA), which is much simpler to do.

lapushka
June 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Are you sure your stylist didn't just "say that" just so she cut cut a huge chunk off? ;) I'd try and make sure you actually see that breakage for yourself before jumping to any conclusions.