PDA

View Full Version : "Two week rule" is over tomorrow... Opinions?

Brattina88
June 28th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Not quite two years ago I cut a good 4-5" to my shortest layer to get rid of my layers. I did his mainly for braids - I wanted them to be easy and I wanted it to be easy to throw my hair up. I regretted it almost instantly. I missed my length and having neater braids didn't please me as much as I thought.
I've been doing a wear your hair up for 3mos personal challenge, it's been 28 days and I hate wearing my hair up. LOL. Hate it! It's good when it's hot or swimming but it's like... I miss my hair lol

anyway I've been having this urge to cut layers back in. Since joining LHC and trying out different hair care methods I've learned I'm much more wavy than I ever thought and I actually love the wurlies and I wonder if layers would boost that. I've been stalking the compact cut thread and waiting my two weeks and I still feel like I want to do it. I've been reading mostly pros and not a ton of cons. I'm in desperate need of either a massive S&D or a trim, and tomorrow's a wash day. So.... Any thoughts / suggestions / opinions appreciated :) thank you!!!

pics to help :p

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/44AE2230-2E27-4A47-948F-D4B5BA47DF26_zpslxci0cq6.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/44AE2230-2E27-4A47-948F-D4B5BA47DF26_zpslxci0cq6.jpg.html)

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/FD4D2AF2-05D6-49CE-9881-DE2356E10F8D_zpsaplcr2ln.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FD4D2AF2-05D6-49CE-9881-DE2356E10F8D_zpsaplcr2ln.jpg.html)

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/6B6DAAA1-A79F-4AB6-B0C1-1F12BE873974_zpsjeiehwk6.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6B6DAAA1-A79F-4AB6-B0C1-1F12BE873974_zpsjeiehwk6.jpg.html)

Also, not that it super matters, but my ends are lighter from the sun/swimming
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq321/missdanabob/Mobile%20Uploads/010668DC-B6CC-480C-8C2A-EB149C694B64_zpsektnirfc.jpg (http://s460.photobucket.com/user/missdanabob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/010668DC-B6CC-480C-8C2A-EB149C694B64_zpsektnirfc.jpg.html)

Oh and I wanted to add that my "wavies" were brushed out for the length pictures :p and I have a more wurlie pic on my profile

spidermom
June 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I thought layering would give me my wurlies back, but no. I still love my layers though. I have no desire to go back to blunt. It's lighter and dries so much faster, plus my braids were pretty messy without layers, so layers don't impact the appearance that much.

My layers were done by my stylist, though. If you try the compact cut, be conservative. Don't hack off a bunch all at once.

Silverbrumby
June 28th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I'd try getting wurlies back using dam gunning or steam curlers or plopping with a hair friendly gel. When you get longer your fate will show up more I think. I'm close to my terminal and have some really nice curl on my ends when I work on it.

ErinLeigh
June 28th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I think a slight blending of the bangs into the hair cut (basically just shaping the perimeter into a U will give you a layered feel by giving some face framing layers, without sacrificing your work in growing out the length layers and could help you with a good compromise.

With that being said, the compact method has shown some great cuts so I understand the urge. If you have some pics of when it was layered look thru them to try and remember accurately how you felt about hair during that time. Pics are great memory boosters. Maybe it will help you remember what you liked and disliked about layers so you can make a decision you can be happy with.

I think you would look good either way. Hair is gorgeous now and will be if you cut too. For what is is worth, I lose wurls with layers with my hair type. Hair merely flips instead.
I think that part is different for all though.

Anje
June 28th, 2014, 12:28 PM
If you want, do a compact cut of a few inches. I wouldn't suggest that you take too much off, but I suspect that some fresher ends will feel nice for you. As suggested, be conservative to start with, assess it, and then trim more if you want it shorter/more layered.

Mya
June 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM
In my experience, the story of layers that bring out curls is untrue. My hair curls more in its unlayered length, go figure. In my opinion, there's an individual factor involved: some wurlies benefit from layers, others don't. However I have noticed that those who do, generally benefit from slight layering. So you may want to try a slight U shape or long layers that only differ a few centimeters from your full length.

In my experience still, the way to bring out curls isn't about the haircut, it's about the drying method:

- Before getting out of the shower, bend over and rinse your hair upside down.
- When out of the shower, put your hair in a microfiber towel on the top of your head.
- After the towel absorbed enough water so that your hair is not soaking wet anymore, get it out. If you use a leave-in bend over, put it in upside down and scrunch your hair.
- Back up, put your hair in a high half updo with a claw clip, trying to capture much hair in the clip and to let hair on your scalp poof rather than being tightly pulled by the clip. Scrunch again a bit if needed. Let dry.
- Sleep with your hair up on the top of your head, not in a bun, leave your length free. Like a loose ponytail on the top of your head. Try to make your length messily accumulate on your head rather than leave it cascade on the sides. Use a net maybe?

It helps to not get flat hair on your head too (that's why I do that primarily).

If you try it, let me know if it works for you, I'm curious. :blossom:

two_wheels
June 28th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Was it you who posted a while back that you do loads of swimming in the summer?

If so, I would wait until after summer and then do it- then you can trash the ends if you want :)

If you really can't wait, I'm sure it'll still look nice.

Sharysa
June 28th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I say your hair looks fine, but you might want to test non-cut methods of curl enhancement before trying to cut it. I'm surprised your hair doesn't seem to be wavy from normal braiding, so have you tried damp braiding or bunning? Damp braiding works fantastically on me--I don't have layers, but I have a fairly deep u-hem with fairytale ends and that helps my waves a LOT.

I've never had layers in my hip-length hair, but when I had them on short hair in high school, I needed a straightener to stay presentable because of the frizz and erratically flipped ends. Layers are a REALLY case-by-case basis.

fiğrildi
June 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM
If you like layers, go for it. But bear in mind that layers might not give you a wavier look, and there is no way back if you don't like the final result. Personally, I like the way your hair looks and I would not layer it, but that's just an opinion :wink:

Hrtchoco
June 29th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I think your hair is pretty as is.

leilani
June 30th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I'm thrilled with the compact cut but if I were you I'd definitely, as erinleigh suggested, browse your photos with layers and see if it looked better.

lilin
June 30th, 2014, 11:46 AM
For me personally, there's a "point of diminishing return" with layers in terms of bringing out waves.

My layers brought out more waves when my hair was shorter... but as soon as the shortest layer gets past shoulder length, it doesn't make much difference. My hair is fine, so there's really only so much gravity it can fight against.

That said, I keep mine layered mostly to avoid the "bell" effect that I tend to get when it's all the same length, which is more a function of volume than curliness for me. I also like the sort of mock-fairy ends it gives me. But I'm thinking of reducing the amount of layering I have so that my longest ends aren't so exposed.