PDA

View Full Version : Build up?

cdonald2
June 27th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Hi there everyone! I was just wondering if products such as shampoo bars and cone free conditioners actually cause buildup. It's been a couple days since I washed my hair with my shampoo bars, but I do cowash when I don't shampoo if my hair is looking greasy. I'm wondering if I should clarify tomorrow with a watered-down clarifying shampoo. Or if it is just normal grease. I haven't clarified yet this month.

cdonald2
June 28th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Bumping for more responses

ErinLeigh
June 28th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I think they can. Poo bars can mix with hard water and cause buildup.
Cone free conditioners can have polyquats and waxes (or some butters/oils) that stick to the hair and build up. Some quats are much harder to remove than cones actually.

I usually don't associate grease with buildup. In my case it is more a weighted dryness. I suppose the signs are different for everyone. For me my hair feels heavy, will not style, can feel tacky, kind of thicker and heavier but more straw like and brittle and at the same time more coated if that makes sense.
I clarify monthly. I don't use cones but I get that feeling like clockwork around the one month mark. Some people can go months or longer without needing it. I think mine is from heavy conditioning and oil/shea perhaps.

From what I noticed from your routine your hair seems to enjoy a monthly clarify so I would keep with what works if it were me.

two_wheels
June 28th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I got hideous buildup from shampoo bars and stopped using them. Did the vinegar rinses and everything. It happens to some people, especially in hard water areas.

Hrtchoco
June 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I've never tried shampoo bar. But if your hair feels bad, then I doubt it's doing anything good.