PDA

View Full Version : My hair dryer melted plastic...

Nadine <3
June 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Ohmygoodness, I just accidentally demonstrated to myself why using a blow dryer everyday killed my hair.

I have an obsession with Bath and body works hand sanitizers.
http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=31003616&cp=12587004&cm_re=SoapSanitizers-_-Banner3-_-acorepb_su14_5f5pb_lb

I had a bunch of the empty containers and I decided it would be cool to re-use the bottles for my oils...I can pour small amount in and it's easy to get a tiny amount out with them... SOOO, I was washing them out, and then decided I should remove the labels so I can write on the bottle what's in it but the labels didn't peel of cleanly. They where ripping and leaving behind sticky glue stuff...my mom said I should warm it up with the hair dryer, and it will come off easier. Well, I turned it on, pointed the dryer at the bottle, and then looked away for a second while saying something to my mom...and when I looked back down the bottle had warped! It even had a brown colored melted hole in it.

Why on earth do they make these things so hot?! Cool air dries hair just as well.

Fericera
June 27th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Yikes. That is hot! Are you sure it isn't old or defective? I've only blow dried my hair a few times but it never felt THAT hot.

red-again
June 27th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Did you place the dryer on a soft surface? Like a quilt etc? If you did, it would have been overheating due to lack of air circulation

Dreams_in_Pink
June 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
My hairdryer comes with a temperature and a speed setting and an ion switch. On lowest setting with ions turned on, it blows barely warm air. You might get a higher quality blow dryer if you plan to use it on your hair.

Cania
June 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM
^ mine works like that too :)
All my past driers shut off if they get too hot. Sounds like something was up to me, if companies get sued for hot coffee I figure hairdryers could be really dangerous

Dreams_in_Pink
June 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM
They are dangerous. Even when a tiny part of the backside ventilation part get blocked, i can smell burnt cable.
The motor of our old dryer used to look gleaming orange when it ran for an extended period of time. *shudder*

Cania
June 27th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Woah! Like I said, all mine shut down when they reach a certain temperature, I assumed they all did. Apparently not :shudder: I put it down on the bed once, blocking the vents, and it just turned off. Wouldn't turn back on until it had cooled down.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 27th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Mine also shut off, sometimes when they weren't hot. And there were times they never shut down even f flames come rushing forward! (not literally LOL) I never understood the mechanism behind automatic shutdown for this reason...

RainbowBowser
June 27th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Yikes! I know the feeling, I've dealt with hairdryers that smoked (yes, smoke came out the back part) and sparks, as well as smelled funny.
Using the cool setting for life!
One reason I would think they make them so hot is for comfort.
I used to love the feeling of warm air to get rid of the gross feeling of wet hair on the back of my neck.

Nadine <3
June 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with it, it's a nice dryer, never has any smells, and it's the one I use on cool to style my bangs. I used to flip all my hair upside down, brush through it while blowing it with the hot air from the same dryer. Every. Day. No wonder my hair hated me.

My mom did have one light on fire once...

Edited to add, the dryer was in my hand, pointed down at the bottle that was laying on the counter in the bathroom. Not laying on anything and the vents where not blocked.

woodswanderer
June 27th, 2014, 09:05 PM
That reminds me of when I had a hair dryer. It must have been 15 years ago, but I remember how annoying it was to pick the lint out of the vents. I hated using it even before I thought of damage. It made me so hot and sweaty and annoyed to dry my hair.

I like you idea of repurposing the mini hand sanitizer bottles. That's a great idea for a trip.

Weewah
June 28th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I've burnt holes in my clothes before when I needed to hand wash something and blow dry it real quick. Also the burning hair smell when using the dryer on high... Never again!