PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with thick, fluffy hair?

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM
My hair is quite thick (4" ponytail), it's fluffy and flyaway especially when air dried unless I put it in a sock bun or velcro rollers or some form of heatless curl or braid.
I've just had it cut into a v shape and i'm not sure how to style it to make it look good.
I've tried oiling and hair masks, I also use henna.
How can I make it look good?
Thank you

Anje
June 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Ever try leave-ins? Leave in conditioner can often deflate hair a bit and it can end up turning fluffy frizzy stuff into waves. Even a little dollop of your normal conditioner, distributed into your wet length (I'd keep it off the scalp) and left in can work pretty well.

Johannah
June 27th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Serums might work and like Anje said, leave-in conditioners. What works for me as well is to put it in a random bun when when it's almost dry after washing my hair. After 30 minutes it isn't that fluffy anymore, for some reason.

aforestfae
June 27th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I've not tried leave-ins before, smoothing creams and oils never worked so I will have to try a leave in conditioner.
thank you :)

Remi
June 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I agree with the others. I have thick 'fluffy' hair, especially on wash day. It doesn't bother me when I'm at home, but if I have to go somewhere, I use a good leave in conditioner, or serum for fly-aways! :p

meteor
June 27th, 2014, 10:40 AM
It helps my hair look more contained if I put it in braids or buns when it's damp until the hair dries completely. Coney serums help too.

Loviatar
June 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Coney serum turns my hair from a happy 4" into a slightly bewildered sleeky 2.75"!

Arwenlily
June 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Honestly what helped me the most was the right washing/conditioning products. I now use a no poo and a cone-free conditioner and then I put my hair up in a turbie twist. If I leave it alone after that my hair will not be fluffy. To help keep the clumps sometimes I use my conditioner as a leave-in and a little olive or coconut oil. Also no brushing and minimal combing.