PDA

View Full Version : Help me not look like a fluffy headed crazy person for a very VERY important meeting.

Nadine <3
June 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Okay so I'm going to sum this up because I don't really want to go into it to much. I started dating my boyfriend about a year ago while he was on probation. As part of his rules he wasn't supposed to be dating without his PO's permission (meeting me and whatnot) Well...we where terrified he PO would tell us we culdn't be together, so we hid it for 6 months. Well, he got caught and spent a good amount of time in jail and we got a no contact put on us. I have not seen him now in close to 10 months. Anyways, I went on my own and called his PO 2 days ago and she said they where looking at changing some of his rules and set up an appointment to meet with me and I'm freaking out!

Obviously, I want to make a good impression on her. I want to look grown up (I'm 21, but lets be honest, I look 12) but I don't want to look old either. My hair has been a horrifying fluffy mess in all the humidity and I don't want to look like I've been electrocuted... I'm thinking of using a coney serum and blowing it straight and wearing it down but I'm not sure and I've been driving myself NUTS trying different things...My go to is usually a braid but they get so fluffy with the humidity and look silly and all my baby hair go spazzy.

Anyone got any ideas? Styles and floofy baby hair taming, all ideas welcome. This is very important to me and I want to look nice.

woodswanderer
June 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM
You do look young. A braid might make you look younger, depending on what type of braid it was. I have a young face and even at 30 I sometimes worry that I look childish when I do a single English braid pulled to the side. I wouldn't worry about looking old. I doubt you could do any hairstyle that would make you look older than 26. I would try to avoid anything overly trendy. I might do business casual clothing and minimal makeup. Slacks and a nice top but nothing revealing.

Larki
June 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Hmm, coney serum and a French twist, maybe? Do you have time before the meeting to experiment and practice?

woodswanderer
June 25th, 2014, 07:26 PM
You can tame baby hairs with a pea sized amount of clear aloe vera gel mixed with a tiny bit of water and smoothed over the top of your head. I would practice it at least once though. I hate to tell anyone to blow dry, but looking mainstream might be good for that occasion, depending on if your hair would just mutiny from the humidity. If you don't feel good about other styles than braiding, I would think your clothing would be more of a focus than your hair.

Nadine <3
June 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
You do look young. A braid might make you look younger, depending on what type of braid it was. I have a young face and even at 30 I sometimes worry that I look childish when I do a single English braid pulled to the side. I wouldn't worry about looking old. I doubt you could do any hairstyle that would make you look older than 26. I would try to avoid anything overly trendy. I might do business casual clothing and minimal makeup. Slacks and a nice top but nothing revealing.

I have my clothes picked out...just a knee length skirt and a white blouse. I never wear makeup. I think the style of bangs I have right now make me look even younger, but I love them. Maybe pin them to the side somehow. I don't thing they're long enough to braid...

Hmm, coney serum and a French twist, maybe? Do you have time before the meeting to experiment and practice?
I have Thursday to try some styles, but I have to leave here pretty early in the morning on Friday to make it there in time. The meeting is at 9 am, and it's a few cities over...bout a 45 minute drive. I'm going to want to wash the night before unless I decide to blow it dry otherwise it will still be wet when I get there.

You can tame baby hairs with a pea sized amount of clear aloe vera gel mixed with a tiny bit of water and smoothed over the top of your head. I would practice it at least once though. I hate to tell anyone to blow dry, but looking mainstream might be good for that occasion, depending on if your hair would just mutiny from the humidity. If you don't feel good about other styles than braiding, I would think your clothing would be more of a focus than your hair.

My hair hates aloe, I got some for this purpose and it made my hair feel like sticky cotton candy. It took a good 2 weeks for my hair to go back to normal after using it. I'm not completely against using a blow dryer as it gives me AMAZING hair and I like to enjoy my hair. I don't think blowing it dry on cool is going to kill my hair.

I'm freaking over my hair because I don't know what to do with it...I know how to dress myself for these types of things but I've always had a short layered cut that looked great with a ton of cones and a high heat upside down blow dry. Now I've changed how I take care of my hair...and I don't know what to do with it lol

ETA: Not to mention my hair has NEVER been this long in my life. I'm about in inch past APL now.

woodswanderer
June 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Well, the outfit sounds good. How about a wrapped ponytail, a half up or a peacock twist? I'm not sure what you can do with APL. I've never had that length.

jeanniet
June 25th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Can you French braid? You could do a folded French braid. There's a thread on it somewhere. I'll look for it for you.

ETA: This isn't a French braid per se, but might work for you and it looks nice: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=111769. If you don't have a Ficarre maybe you could secure it another way.

Majorane
June 26th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I think a French twist looks very sophisticated and adulty on anyone. One of my best friends (she is an architect, bought a house, really responsible adult) looks like she's 15 or so, when she has an important meeting she Frenchtwists or uses a big claw clip to put her hair up. Then, she looks like she is 17. ;)
As for bangs: are they the same as in your signature pic? If yes, and you want to get rid of them, maybe you can ... uhm, how to explain...
Make your parting wherever you like, say, on your right side. Grab a piece of bang and twist it outwards a few times. Add another piece of bang, twist, keep adding, until you reach the longer pieces, twist them in as well, and them bobbypin or clippypin them. Then you can either fluff them up a bit so you get a bit of a Little Mermaid oomphy bang or you keep 'emmtight to your head. ....I always do that when I want to have my bangs out of the way but maybe it makes you look even younger?

Mascara helps you look older, eyeliner only when you know how to apply it otherwise you look like an 16 year old goth. (nothing wrong with that btw)

....Also, I dunno how the rules are over there but as long as you look nice, clean and slighty sane, would they really care? And can I also add that I find it strange someone is prohibited from having a relationship. Not to stick my nose in your business, but being together is a good thing as long as you don't go robbing banks together, in my book. :\

ErinLeigh
June 26th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I think a sleek wrapped ponytail would look nice for your meeting and would match the outfit. It will also deal with any fuzzies and its so easy there is no stress.
A french twist is always nice too. I would leave the bangs down so you feel more comfortable. If you are used to bangs and pull them up when you normally don't you may feel "exposed."

Unfortunately I am well versed in the legal system (my kids story is actually mindblowing)
The one thing I can tell you is always be honest, do everything by the book to just be done with this ordeal (advice for bf)
It is appropriate to be nervous as this person has a lot of control over your life, but do not be scared. The probation officers job is to keep her person OUT of jail. They will work hard with you to find solutions to help make this successful. They really do want to help, they just need everything on the up and up. I find you to be well spoken, kind and present well verbally and I think you will do really well. Just wear hair in a way that makes you feel like yourself so you will radiate authenticity.

Cania
June 26th, 2014, 03:08 AM
I'm sorry you've had such a tough time lately. Please don't stress too much, as long as you are clean and polite I think you will come over just fine :)

As for the hair, I think keep it simple. I agree french twists usually make people appear more mature.
I think make up is definitely important too, play around with it a bit on Thursday night. I find eyeliner makes me look older but ymmv. Keep it low key and the meeting will be a breeze ^_^

spidermom
June 26th, 2014, 07:02 AM
What works the best for getting fluffies to stay down is styling wax, putty, or pomade. A very little goes a long way. There's nothing better.

Laurenji
June 26th, 2014, 08:27 AM
When I'm at APL, my fanciest styles were French Twists and Gibson Tucks. Both look elegant, I think. Although I don't have any advice on how to smooth your hair down. How often do you wash your hair? If you wash it pretty frequently, I would recommend thinking about a little bit of hairspray. Just like heat styling, hair spray probably shouldn't be for every day use, but it can be really useful for special occasions like this.

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to take today to learn how to do a french twist and see if I can get it to hold and look nice. I like the idea of hair putty...I think my brother has a big jar of it, I'll ask him if I can test a bit of it out and see if it helps! If I can't get the french twist to work maybe I'll use the putty and put it in my normal dutch braid. I think I'm going to wear my bangs down (they look just like in my siggy) as that is how I feel the most comfortable.

The situation is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of in my entire life, I'll just leave it at that. I feel like we're (mostly him) are being treated pretty unfairly but I suppose we went and did this our own dumb way...and till a few days ago I was to scared to call and ask questions so we'll see! Hopefully it goes well, I would give anything to see him again since he was my best friend before my boyfriend <3 Definitely going to play it safe, be myself, be honest and just generally do what she wants from me so we can put this behind us.

I wash my hair every 4 days typically but if I feel like it needs it sooner or whatever I just wash it.

Thank you guys!, I'm going to go mess around with my hair now, we'll see if I can get a french twist going...Gunna charge my camera as well so I can take pics :)

Agnes Hannah
June 26th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Hi Nadine, I use a claw clip on a daily basis, its really good for keeping hair secure, I twist mine up and wrap it round my hand a couple of times if that makes sense. Anyway good luck with what you are doing, we are right behind you for support. Take care and show them the type of person you are, you will get there!
Hugs
AgnesHannahx

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
AMAZING, I watched one how to video on youtube, and headed off to the bathroom...used a bit of putty, twisted it up and it's now defying gravity. All of it stays up with two bobby pins. I'll probably stick a few more in just for insurance tomorrow but WOW...This was such and easy fix, thank you guys! Love you all. Now I just need to relax and breathe! I'm so nervous!

Nellon
June 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Good luck you! Hope it all works out really well!

two_wheels
June 26th, 2014, 02:23 PM
You know, I would keep a claw clip ready just in case your hair doesn't co-operate on the morning. Then you don't have to stress trying to force it. Good luck with the meeting :)

Cania
June 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Yay, glad you found something that works! Get a good nights sleep tonight, you will be great. They want to help you, and you have nothing to hide. Go and be your fantastic self and this time tomorrow you won't have to worry about it ^_^

GoddessLocks
June 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Well it looks like you found something that works :) I was going to suggest maybe a sock bun? or a high bun? That always looks "mature" and professional.

Nadine <3
June 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Good morning guys! Heading out in a half hour or so, hair went up perfectly on the first try. Feeling very nervous and kinda nauseated...ahk! I'll be fine though...Wish me luck!

two_wheels
June 27th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Good luck! You don't have to do anything at all except be you. They will probably expect & understand nerves, too. :grouphug:

Majorane
June 27th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Good luck, keep breathing, and I hopehopehope everything turns out all right for you two! :cheer: